Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Cold Weather riding

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Cold Weather riding

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-19, 07:21 PM
FrodoBaggins

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Cold Weather riding

I am 67 years and the old circulation isn't what it used to be. I can do fine biking down to 40 degrees but any colder, my fingers and toes get painfully cold. I am looking for suggestions for gloves and shoe covers that will keep me riding into the high 20's. I don't need gloves that allow for texting or phone use, I don't mess with the phone unless there is a mechanical. I have tried toe warmers but they are either too hot or too bulky. Does anyone have the same problem and also have a semi-solution?
Old 10-17-19, 08:53 PM
bpcyclist

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 451 Post(s)
Liked 364 Times in 227 Posts
The glove thing has been covered elsewhere, so I won't go into it too much except to say that, for down in the 20s, it seems like a lot of people are just using serious, hard-core winter sports gloves. Like ski gloves. But like I said, there's lots here on the site about that. The other thing that came into my mind for you is the new Fizik Artica winter shoe. Folks seem to be liking it fairly well. It's not outrageously expensive. Might be worth looking into.

As far as sock selection and so forth, I am of no use to you. It very rarely gets into the 20s where we ride. Our problem here is water. Hard to stay dry. Anyhow, good luck to you and kudos for your commitment to riding through the winter. That is something an Oregon boy can respect.
Likes For bpcyclist:
Old 10-17-19, 11:46 PM
_ForceD_
Sr Member on Sr bikes

Bikes: Several...from old junk to new all-carbon.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1017 Post(s)
Liked 783 Times in 413 Posts
Originally Posted by FrodoBaggins
I don't need gloves that allow for texting or phone use, I don't mess with the phone unless there is a mechanical. I have tried toe warmers but they are either too hot or too bulky. Does anyone have the same problem and also have a semi-solution?
Windproop and waterproof insulated mittens. That's what I use and I'm very satisfied.

Dan
Likes For _ForceD_:
Old 10-18-19, 12:40 AM
MikeyMK
Cycleway town

Bikes: 2.6kw GT LTS e-tandem, 250w Voodoo, 250w solar recumbent trike, 3-speed shopper, Merlin ol/skl mtb, 80cc Ellswick

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 169 Times in 117 Posts
Originally Posted by bpcyclist
Our problem here is water. Hard to stay dry.
October is proving to be a total washout here, it's testing my waterproofs. Have you tried one of those Cape/poncho things? They cover the whole rider and half the bike... They don't look very aerodynamic but I saw someone in one yesterday and wonder if it's an answer for my commute.
Old 10-18-19, 02:29 AM
alloo

Bikes: 2022 Priority Coast, 2022 Priority Current

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 175 Post(s)
Liked 137 Times in 99 Posts
Cycling is about layers and snowboard gear. If you can get that right you will be ok. Gloves snowboarding or skiing gloves. I don't know about toe guards. Good merino wool base layer are good. Cycling jackets are ok, but not thick enough for lower temperature that you're talking about. In the worst case scenario you can get a pair of these https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/...-heated-gloves

Last edited by alloo; 10-19-19 at 05:53 AM.
Old 10-18-19, 09:22 AM
leob1

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 292 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 69 Posts
Wool socks, I like Smart Wool. I use ski socks that go over the calf.
Use thin liner gloves, under wind proof outer gloves.
Don't try to stuff extra thick layers of socks into your shoes, that just crams your toes and reduces circulation, making your feet cold.
Add wind proof, like neoprene, shoes covers, and if your shoes have vents in the soles, cover them up from the inside.
You might have to experiment a bit to find what works best for you.
Likes For leob1:
Old 10-18-19, 09:31 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6200 Post(s)
Liked 4,204 Times in 2,358 Posts
I am 67 years and the old circulation isn't what it used to be. I can do fine biking down to 40 degrees but any colder, my fingers and toes get painfully cold. I am looking for suggestions for gloves and shoe covers that will keep me riding into the high 20's. I don't need gloves that allow for texting or phone use, I don't mess with the phone unless there is a mechanical. I have tried toe warmers but they are either too hot or too bulky. Does anyone have the same problem and also have a semi-solution?
For feet, shoe covers can work but they are limited. I suggest looking into cold weather cycling shoes or boots. I have Lake MXZ303 for very cold rides (below about 30°F) and MX145 for cool but not really cold rides. Both are too warm above about 45°F. I also buy winter shoes in one to two sizes larger to fit thicker socks without cutting off circulation.

These aren’t cheap options but they work. On the plus side, a pair (or 2) of boots can last decades.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Likes For cyccommute:
Old 10-18-19, 09:32 AM
Jicafold

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 360 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 89 Posts
Whiskey. It's a vasodilator.
Likes For Jicafold:
Old 10-18-19, 09:38 AM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3583 Post(s)
Liked 3,395 Times in 1,929 Posts
Originally Posted by Jicafold
Whiskey. It's a vasodilator.
I tried soaking my feet in whiskey to warm them up. Didn't do squat, and ruined the flavor for drinking.
Likes For JohnDThompson:
Old 10-18-19, 09:50 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2599 Post(s)
Liked 1,924 Times in 1,208 Posts
Start by checking out the Winter Cycling forum.

Hands and feet do require some consideration, but you also have to make sure you're preserving enough body heat to get out to the extremities (without overheating and sweating).

For the extremities, I got some Specialized Element gloves last fall that were great through their first winter. Smartwool socks on my feet, perhaps with plastic grocery bags (I know, the horror!) cut in half and wrapped around the socks for temps below 30F.

Below 40F, I need cycling tights in various weights. Lightweight polypro is fine down to about 35F for me, mid-weight down to 25F, heavy down to 15F, and some lined wind resistant tights below that.

Long sleeve jerseys with a base layer take me down to about 40-45F, below that I need a jacket. The jacket has armpit vents, and I can adjust the zippers on the jacket front, pit vents, and jersey to keep from overheating (or chilling, although that's usually not a problem after I get rolling).

For the head, a polypro ear band is OK down to 35-40F. Cycling cap with ear flaps takes me down to 25-30F, below that I need a polypro balaclava.

This post has one of the highest concentrations of the word "I" I've written. There's a reason for that. While the principles behind graduated clothing choices are pretty much universal, where the break is from one layer to another is highly personal. YMMV.
Likes For pdlamb:
Old 10-18-19, 02:48 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5223 Post(s)
Liked 3,579 Times in 2,341 Posts
what kind of bike/bars & what kind of pedals?
Old 10-18-19, 03:22 PM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked 1,676 Times in 827 Posts
... I have tried toe warmers but they are either too hot or too bulky.
It looks like many of the electric hand and toe warmers are temperature adjustable, and rechargeable. I don't know about bulk.
Old 10-18-19, 03:52 PM
riverdrifter

Bikes: 1985 Cannondale SR500, 1990 Cannondale ST600, 1993 Cannondale M700

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Liked 277 Times in 108 Posts
For my midwest winter commutes I wear high-quality, mountaineering gear. All Gore-Tex, with merino wool base layers, including socks. I wear lightly insulated and waterproof Merrell boots. On my hands I wear Outdoor Research windproof, insulated, waterproof mountaineering mitts.
Likes For riverdrifter:
Old 10-18-19, 03:58 PM
bpcyclist

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 451 Post(s)
Liked 364 Times in 227 Posts
Originally Posted by MikeyMK
October is proving to be a total washout here, it's testing my waterproofs. Have you tried one of those Cape/poncho things? They cover the whole rider and half the bike... They don't look very aerodynamic but I saw someone in one yesterday and wonder if it's an answer for my commute.
I have not--thanks for pointing the idea out. I will have to see if my shop has one I can check out.
Old 10-18-19, 04:48 PM
scoatw

Bikes: 96 gary fisher 'utopia' : 99 Softride 'Norwester'(for sale), 1972 Raleigh Twenty. Surly 1x1 converted to 1x8, 96 Turner Burner

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Temperatures in the 20's I've got a pair of LL Bean Snow Sneakers keeping the dogs warm. I've been using those for 12 years now. They work down to about 5f to 0f. Sometimes I'll use toe covers over them for an extra layer. I use convertible mittens with a cheap glove liner. My glove liners are those cheap brown cotton jersey gloves you see in convenience stores. I get the insulated ones.

Last edited by scoatw; 10-18-19 at 05:15 PM.
Old 10-18-19, 06:42 PM
RGMN

Quoted: 241 Post(s)
Liked 232 Times in 153 Posts
Typically in colder weather the wind chill factor and controlling sweat are bigger deals than heavier gloves or socks. You need to keep the wind off your hands and feet and manage the sweat to keep them warm. To keep the wind off the hands I like Pogies or Bar Mitts for when it starts to get really cold (And that's up to the individual. For me that's below 20degF.) With Pogies on the bars I typically have to go to a lighter glove since they are so warm. To control the sweat I typically wear thin polypro liners to help move the sweat away. And take the bike with the carbon bars/carbon levers - they are warmer than aluminum.

For the feet nothing beats winter boots, but that is a pricey option. Really good thermal windproof shoe covers work well, and there is no shame in using chemical warmers on the top of the shoes under the covers. That's what we do when Nordic skiing in sub-zero weather, and I've done it a couple of times on really cold bike rides as well. Again a thin polypro liner under thin wool socks help manage the sweat, although I've also had warm feet using just a medium weight wool sock.
Old 10-18-19, 06:53 PM
FrodoBaggins

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just checked out the Fizik Artica R5s and they look like they will fill the bill! Thank you for the suggestion! My summer shoes with Pearl Izumi neoprene outers are only good for so much. Really aprreciate the help! Thank you
Old 10-19-19, 08:06 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6200 Post(s)
Liked 4,204 Times in 2,358 Posts
I just checked out the Fizik Artica R5s and they look like they will fill the bill! Thank you for the suggestion! My summer shoes with Pearl Izumi neoprene outers are only good for so much. Really aprreciate the help! Thank you
You might want to consider other winter shoes as well. A shoe that uses SPDs and a mountain bike sole provide a more secure footing if you have to stop on a slick patch or if you have to walk on a slick surface. Pedal changes are relatively simple if you are using a road pedal.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 10-19-19, 05:33 PM
anon06

Bikes: Giant Cypress

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts
I wear leather gloves and leather sneakers for the cold, if it helps give anyone ideas.
Old 10-19-19, 11:37 PM
gecho

Bikes: 2009 Trek 520

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked 167 Times in 130 Posts
I've got some crazy thick high bulk brushed acrylic socks that I wear OVER my summer shoes for when it gets cold. The inside of the sock almost looks like cotton candy, and they are very stretchy. I went with the largest size they had and cut holes for the cleat area and at the heal to turn them into pull over shoe covers. Sometimes I wear my nylon shoe covers over them. They are T-Max Heat which is a brand of a Canadian chain called Marks, no idea who in the US would carry something similar.
Old 10-19-19, 11:47 PM
pennpaul

Bikes: Diamondback Haanjo Trail, Fuji Team Road

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked 68 Times in 46 Posts
When I was a poor recent grad, I used to wrap the front of my socks with Saran wrap, then put my shoes on. It was great for blocking the wind and my shoes didn't feel tight (which I absolutely cannot stand).

When I had some money, I started using neoprene booties over my shoes but mostly to block the wind.

I haven't ridden down to 20deg, though. That is too cold for me!
Old 10-21-19, 11:22 AM
dmanthree

Bikes: Garmin/Tacx Bike Smart

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 646 Post(s)
Liked 289 Times in 191 Posts
I don't ride in the very cold any more, I Zwift. But when i did, well, dedicated winter cycling shoes, layers, "lobster claw" mitts, and a Giro ski helmet (with a closeable ventilator). But in the end, the cold and dark really limited my riding times, so I just went inside on a trainer. Haven't regretted it at all.
Old 10-21-19, 01:09 PM
Pridedog
Gone Biking!

Bikes: Orbea Gain, Lynskey, Redline Conquest Disc, Bike Friday, Cannnondale T2 Tandem.

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 50 Times in 28 Posts
Keep good circulation

I am almost 70 and have experimented for years with ways to stay warm on winter commutes with temps 0 and above. I can tell you what not to do better than what to use. Each of us are different and it will take a little experimentation. My feet got a lot warmer when I figured out that heavier socks pinched my feet and reduced circulation which led to cold feet. I discovered that thinner smart wool socks, wool insoles with aluminum tape on bottom, chemical warmers (on top of toes) and winter one size larger shoe covers works for me.
Old 10-21-19, 07:03 PM
Alligator

Bikes: Too many. I’m constantly selling and buying new bikes.

Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 24 Posts
Buy your gear at a mountaineering store. The mittens I purchased there are by far the best I’ve ever had. They cover my wrists and are thick enough to be warm at any temperature.
Old 10-21-19, 07:20 PM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5888 Post(s)
Liked 3,471 Times in 2,079 Posts
Originally Posted by riverdrifter
For my midwest winter commutes I wear high-quality, mountaineering gear. All Gore-Tex, with merino wool base layers, including socks. I wear lightly insulated and waterproof Merrell boots. On my hands I wear Outdoor Research windproof, insulated, waterproof mountaineering mitts.
I wear pretty similar gear. Platform pedals let you use insulated winter boots. And mountaineering mitts are the way to go for the hands. Get them oversized so you can wear a liner glove.

For outer wear, a wind stopper soft shell works well. I got mine a bit oversized so I can layer underneath. Alternatively ripstop nylon makes a fine outer layer but that's getting harder to find as everyone wants something waterproof. You don't really need that for winter and the waterproofing interferes with sweating.
Likes For bikemig:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.