Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Confidence destroyed, humiliated for starting a thread in ****** cycling

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Confidence destroyed, humiliated for starting a thread in ****** cycling

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-19, 01:36 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
I get pain when I ramp up duration or if some factor like a headwind has upped the intensity for a prolonged period of time. I think it's also a good indicator of going beyond your baseline (which might be very strenuous) OR not having worked them strenuously recently.
Yeah, that's a good way of putting it. I will notice that early in the season (or if my fitness has fallen off midseason) my back will get really tight and sore if I am going too deep too long.
Old 10-30-19, 01:40 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by caloso
Yeah, that's a good way of putting it. I will notice that early in the season (or if my fitness has fallen off midseason) my back will get really tight and sore if I am going too deep too long.
Different muscles, but that definitely happens to me in the early season as I transition from the gym to the bike. Now having a bit of that as I transition back into the gym--my arms especially as they definitely get neglected during bike season.
Old 10-30-19, 02:21 PM
smashndash

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Allez Sprint Comp

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 850 Post(s)
Liked 344 Times in 247 Posts
Originally Posted by RMoudatir
I don't know where to start but I recently made a post on a ****** (starts R ends with a T, censored for some reason, pronounced "read it") forum cycling about me having difficulty getting muscle soreness and thought that muscle soreness was an indicator of a good workout. I gave some background information of how I started cycling and what kind of riding I do. I mentioned that I did a 20 mile ride a few days ago, that I was going full gas all the way but that even when I was hurting all the way, that I experienced little to no soreness. I just asked for any advice that would help me.

After I made the post, people started commenting things such as "how autistic are you?" "we aren't here to stroke your ego". One person even asked in what time I did 20 miles and I said in 1:20 hr and I get so many negative downvotes for that and he says that it is pedestrian speed. Someone even shared my post to another forum and they are all putting me down saying how embarrassingly slow I am and that their grandma rides faster than me. I've become a laughingstock now all over ******. Honestly I feel unmotivated to even go out on the bike anymore. I just cared about breaking my own personal records and improving my fitness, I could care less if I'm slower than 90% of cyclists. I feel pretty down and unmotivated to cycle.
I read the post. I think the issue you ran into with read it was that you gave a looot of information that wasn’t particularly relevant. There also wasn’t a precise question or topic of discussion. Wordy posts with no clear point are an easy way to get targeted on internet forums.

I think your post got interpreted as “I did this ride that was so hard/fast and barely got sore!”. I believe what you meant to ask was “I went really hard but wasn’t sore after. Was this not as good of a workout as I believed it to be?”

Take the following with a grain of salt because I’m not formally qualified to be talking about any of this:

I think there’s a difference between soreness and fatigue. If you get into lifting, and start piling on heavy weights day 1, you will experience serious soreness. You could end up practically bed ridden. This is due to micro-damage to your muscles/tendons. However, as you start to lift regularly, even lifting very heavy weights will barely cause any soreness.

So back to biking. Biking is a largely aerobic activity. It doesn’t challenge your leg muscles’ structure very much. Climbing stairs or running are probably an order of magnitude harder. You should not expect to be sore after a bike ride, unless you do several sharp neuromuscular efforts. Ie the hardest you can possibly go for under a minute - a sprint, even. This can happen in a spirited group ride but is extremely uncommon for people to do alone unless they are training to race.

Your legs burning up are a sign of fatigue. You’re out of glycogen and are pooling up lactic acid. This doesn’t cause soreness afterwards. It just makes your legs feel empty and weak.

Your definition of a “good workout” will change depending on your goals. The fact that you were fatigued but not breathing hard implies that you just need to develop some aerobic endurance (separate from “top end” aerobic capacity). Some call it fat adaptation or base fitness. Essentially, you want your muscles to be able to work without burning up all your glycogen immediately.

Ironically, the best way to do this is to do long, easy rides. Some even do these rides fasted in order to *start* the ride with no glycogen in their muscles, thus forcing their muscles to use fat for energy.

Someone can correct me if my “diagnosis” is wrong.

Last edited by smashndash; 10-30-19 at 02:26 PM.
Old 10-30-19, 02:31 PM
RMoudatir

Bikes: Otso Warakin, 2014 Fuji Sportif 1.4 disc

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by caloso
To your original question: I don't think muscle soreness is a good indicator of whether or not you had a good workout. It is a good indicator that you haven't used those particular muscles strenuously very recently.

Also, if you're truly going "full gas," then 80 minutes all out is a brutal workout whether you're a noob or a UCI pro. If you do it every ride, that's a recipe for plateauing and then burning out.
I am not sure if I used "full gas" in the right context but it was almost 10 pm at a relative's place. I wanted to get home quickly and it was getting cold when I just had a jersey on so I opted to pedal harder and keep warm than to shiver all the way through which is not fun at all. I was just going as hard as I can without burning myself out but my legs really started crying at mile 10, all I could think of was getting home, my legs were becoming almost numb yet burned like hell. Wasn't a pleasant ride but it felt great coming home to earning a few PRs that I had not touched since 2016.
Old 10-30-19, 03:00 PM
Skipjacks

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Crosstrail / 2013 Trek Crossrip Elite

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 1002 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 155 Posts
Keep in mind that the guys on the internet who can easily outperform your 15 mph pacing for 1:20 are also NASA physicists, self made billionaires, and are dating the entire Victoria's Secret model crew at the same time.

It's easy to be better than everyone else on the internet....when you don't have to back up and of your bull++++
Old 10-30-19, 03:17 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Originally Posted by RMoudatir
I am not sure if I used "full gas" in the right context but it was almost 10 pm at a relative's place. I wanted to get home quickly and it was getting cold when I just had a jersey on so I opted to pedal harder and keep warm than to shiver all the way through which is not fun at all. I was just going as hard as I can without burning myself out but my legs really started crying at mile 10, all I could think of was getting home, my legs were becoming almost numb yet burned like hell. Wasn't a pleasant ride but it felt great coming home to earning a few PRs that I had not touched since 2016.
So your next ride should be a recovery ride. Just an easy spin. You can't go all out every ride.
Old 10-30-19, 03:20 PM
Vintage Schwinn

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 346 Post(s)
Liked 396 Times in 259 Posts
R. Moudatir, DON'T LET IT GET YOU DOWN. Unfortunately it seems, among a young and very immature, nearly 100% male segment of cycling community that regards itself as the "Serious Cyclists", they are just bullies for whatever reasons, insecurities and problems in their daily lives, that to feel like special people, they have to mock, ridicule, harass, intimidate, and ostracize those bicycle riders that are Not like them. They are insecure and afraid of including all into the membership of the bicycle riding community because they somehow feel threatened that having "Novices" or "Non-Performers" for lack of better word choices, will somehow ruin bicycling as they know it. You see these dumb ahzzz-es in their replies on various forums and threads. Instead of offering encouragement and positive advice, they essentially wish to run of the riff-raff that don't belong here anyway, as they feel in their own pea-brain, numbskull minds that they are the only folks that really matter.
You see it all the time, where they delight at bullying and negativity and ridicule towards those New to the community who may only be casual riders or folks that ride basic bicycles. You see these turds that reply to folks' subject topics on their fun, joy and challenging struggles in whatever type of riding that they do. You see these such turds that ridicule some of these folks for riding and owning a ( BSO ) , Bicycle-Shaped-Object, as in their warped minds, it does not qualify as a bicycle.
These young male idiots have a lot to learn about life. You just have to look at them in the proper context. They are insecure losers who are just being bullies because it gives them a feeling of superiority. Most of them will mature and grow-out of this stage. Until then, just remember that there likely will always be pricks such as these on cycling forums, and just don't give them the satisfaction of ruining your day, because they are just turds anyway so just Flush Em !!
Likes For Vintage Schwinn:
Old 10-30-19, 04:22 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
It sounds like OP is suffering from low self-esteem and lack of confidence. If you can't put up with a little bit of negative talk on internet forums how are you going to deal with negativity in real world ??...HTFU
Likes For wolfchild:
Old 10-30-19, 04:23 PM
Happy Feet

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2236 Post(s)
Liked 1,314 Times in 707 Posts
Originally Posted by Vintage Schwinn
R. Moudatir, DON'T LET IT GET YOU DOWN. Unfortunately it seems, among a young and very immature, nearly 100% male segment of cycling community that regards itself as the "Serious Cyclists", they are just bullies for whatever reasons, insecurities and problems in their daily lives, that to feel like special people, they have to mock, ridicule, harass, intimidate, and ostracize those bicycle riders that are Not like them. They are insecure and afraid of including all into the membership of the bicycle riding community because they somehow feel threatened that having "Novices" or "Non-Performers" for lack of better word choices, will somehow ruin bicycling as they know it. You see these dumb ahzzz-es in their replies on various forums and threads. Instead of offering encouragement and positive advice, they essentially wish to run of the riff-raff that don't belong here anyway, as they feel in their own pea-brain, numbskull minds that they are the only folks that really matter.
You see it all the time, where they delight at bullying and negativity and ridicule towards those New to the community who may only be casual riders or folks that ride basic bicycles. You see these turds that reply to folks' subject topics on their fun, joy and challenging struggles in whatever type of riding that they do. You see these such turds that ridicule some of these folks for riding and owning a ( BSO ) , Bicycle-Shaped-Object, as in their warped minds, it does not qualify as a bicycle.
These young male idiots have a lot to learn about life. You just have to look at them in the proper context. They are insecure losers who are just being bullies because it gives them a feeling of superiority. Most of them will mature and grow-out of this stage. Until then, just remember that there likely will always be pricks such as these on cycling forums, and just don't give them the satisfaction of ruining your day, because they are just turds anyway so just Flush Em !!
I always get a kick out of this type of response. Don't you think that by calling people: dumb ahzzz-es, pea-brain, numbskull minds, turds, idiots insecure losers, pricks etc... you become one of those bullies who, for whatever reasons, insecurities and problems in their daily lives, feel like special people who mock, ridicule, harass, intimidate, and ostracize?
Likes For Happy Feet:
Old 10-30-19, 04:42 PM
aplcr0331
Hear myself getting fat

Bikes: Sir Velo A Sparrow

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 335 Post(s)
Liked 265 Times in 134 Posts
Don’t let a few dicks get you down. The ****** thread ain’t that bad and more than a few people gave some very useful advice.

Keep going, it’ll make you mentally and physically tougher.
Old 10-30-19, 04:54 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3665 Post(s)
Liked 5,414 Times in 2,752 Posts
Originally Posted by Vintage Schwinn
Wow! Someone must have dissed your Wally-bike, so defensive.
Old 10-30-19, 05:06 PM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 3089 Post(s)
Liked 6,593 Times in 3,781 Posts
Bike Forums does not allow threads about other forums.

Closed.