Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Typical stiffness discrepancy between crank arms.

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 10-30-19, 01:40 PM
Nyah
QR-disc must die!!!

Bikes: '99 Trek 520, '20 Kona Sutra (FOR SALE 48cm), '21 Simon-Bikes mini-velo and a chromoly-framed folding bicycle with drop-bars and V-brakes, that rolls even while folded.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 397 Post(s)
Liked 199 Times in 147 Posts

This question is in regards to conventional crank design. I don't ride bicycles regularly anymore and have not done much distance cycling. The most recent cycling trip of considerable distance that I took was somewhere around 52 miles total over two days. Afterwards, I could feel that my right leg was considerably more fatigued than my left. I narrowed the cause of this discrepancy down to the fact that the crank arm of the right side of the bike has a bar (or pin) that drives the spider/chainring. I would like to know if this phenomena has a name or, if this bar/pin crank design has a name or, if there are any alternative crank designs which attempt to spread the driving force evenly between both of the rider's legs. Thanks!

Edit: The bike is a Trek 520 touring bike, which I bought new from a bike shop. The frame size is appropriate for my physiology.

Last edited by Nyah; 10-30-19 at 01:43 PM. Reason: Bike size context.
Old 10-30-19, 01:48 PM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1511 Post(s)
Liked 733 Times in 454 Posts
It's possible that the left crank arm flexes a tiny bit more than the right by virtue of the spyder reinforcing some part of the arm; but I highly doubt that you could tell the difference by pedaling. And I don't see why lack of flex would give you a sore right leg. More likely you have uneven muscle development or you were pushing unevenly.
Old 10-30-19, 01:50 PM
Flip Flop Rider

Bikes: 2010 Fuji Absolute 3.0 1994 Trek 850

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Liked 555 Times in 322 Posts
this is a tough one. Is one of your legs shorter than the other or have an injury that the other one does not?
Old 10-30-19, 01:59 PM
rosefarts
With a mighty wind

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1084 Post(s)
Liked 854 Times in 483 Posts
I have occasionally been much more sore one one side than the other. Either in the leg or back.

It's a hip and hamstring stiffness issue. Also possible that it's a different cleat position on the pedals issue but I don't think that is your particular problem.

I highly doubt that the soreness is from the slight inherent difference in the left to right balance of the bike. More likely it's your own balance and flexibility that should be improved.
Old 10-30-19, 02:05 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,095 Times in 5,053 Posts
Originally Posted by Nyah
This question is in regards to conventional crank design. I don't ride bicycles regularly anymore and have not done much distance cycling. The most recent cycling trip of considerable distance that I took was somewhere around 52 miles total over two days. Afterwards, I could feel that my right leg was considerably more fatigued than my left. I narrowed the cause of this discrepancy down to the fact that the crank arm of the right side of the bike has a bar (or pin) that drives the spider/chainring. I would like to know if this phenomena has a name or, if this bar/pin crank design has a name or, if there are any alternative crank designs which attempt to spread the driving force evenly between both of the rider's legs. Thanks!

Edit: The bike is a Trek 520 touring bike, which I bought new from a bike shop. The frame size is appropriate for my physiology.
What makes you think it's the crank? Have you done similar rides on different bikes without this happening? Frankly, unless the arms are different lengths, I can't see how having the pin on one side has anything to do with making the effort different for your legs.
Old 10-30-19, 02:10 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3646 Post(s)
Liked 5,377 Times in 2,729 Posts
Not your crank but it would be interesting to hear how you came up with that idea. Unique!
Old 10-30-19, 02:11 PM
Nyah
QR-disc must die!!!

Bikes: '99 Trek 520, '20 Kona Sutra (FOR SALE 48cm), '21 Simon-Bikes mini-velo and a chromoly-framed folding bicycle with drop-bars and V-brakes, that rolls even while folded.

Originally Posted by Flip Flop Rider
this is a tough one. Is one of your legs shorter than the other or have an injury that the other one does not?
No, for both questions. I have a regular running/walking gait.
Old 10-30-19, 02:13 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18347 Post(s)
Liked 4,497 Times in 3,344 Posts
Originally Posted by BlazingPedals
It's possible that the left crank arm flexes a tiny bit more than the right by virtue of the spyder reinforcing some part of the arm; but I highly doubt that you could tell the difference by pedaling.
Likely something that sends shivers up the spines of developers of crank based power meters (that use absolute flex to determine power input)

However, I agree, this is likely a training issue, or perhaps one leg had something like a sore knee throwing everything off.

Was the bike assembled from parts? Double check that the crank arms are the same length. If you use foot retention like clipless/cleats, are the cleats set the same on both shoes, or right for your feet?
Old 10-30-19, 02:22 PM
Nyah
QR-disc must die!!!

Originally Posted by rosefarts
I have occasionally been much more sore one one side than the other. Either in the leg or back.

It's a hip and hamstring stiffness issue. Also possible that it's a different cleat position on the pedals issue but I don't think that is your particular problem.

I highly doubt that the soreness is from the slight inherent difference in the left to right balance of the bike. More likely it's your own balance and flexibility that should be improved.
I seem to remember the injury being in my hamstring. As I implied in the other post though, I wasn't injured until after the ride. It wasn't a cleat issue for me, because I was wearing street shoes, with toe-clips properly arranged to the pedals.
Old 10-30-19, 02:30 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Is this the crank in question?https://www.ebay.com/i/173739985391?...caAuzuEALw_wcB

I don't see how this is any more "imbalanced" than any other crank--one arm has to be on the drive side and the other on the non-drive side.

Not trying to be a wise-guy, but is your seat on straight? What about your handlebars? It sounds like you're riding off-kilter somehow.
Old 10-31-19, 01:26 PM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
You could to a sports physical therapist and have a full flexibility and strength rundown done on yourself. You'd be shocked what you'll discover. As others have said, it's likely some mechanical imbalance in you, rather than with the bike.

There are simply too many variables to say without a PT exam, but relative crank arm stiffness would be very, very far down on the list of likely contributors.
Old 10-31-19, 01:40 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10943 Post(s)
Liked 7,469 Times in 4,179 Posts

Take a picture of the bar/pin that you are referring to. I have no idea what you are trying to describe. A crank flexes on both sides. The bottom bracket attaches to each arm at the same location and if anything, the arm on the drive side is thicker(and therefore stiffer).
Old 10-31-19, 01:43 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by mstateglfr
Take a picture of the bar/pin that you are referring to. I have no idea what you are trying to describe. A crank flexes on both sides. The bottom bracket attaches to each arm at the same location and if anything, the arm on the drive side is thicker(and therefore stiffer).
The link I posted in # 10 is the crank that comes standard with the Trek he identified.
Old 10-31-19, 02:18 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3646 Post(s)
Liked 5,377 Times in 2,729 Posts
Has anyone figured out what the "bar/pin" is?
Old 10-31-19, 02:44 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by shelbyfv
Has anyone figured out what the "bar/pin" is?
I think it's the bolt on the front of the non-drive side crank arm:

Old 10-31-19, 03:29 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3870 Post(s)
Liked 2,563 Times in 1,577 Posts
The ideal crank wouldn't flex at all, so I'm leaning way harder in the direction of a fit issue here.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 10-31-19, 03:47 PM
mr_bill

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 2112 Post(s)
Liked 663 Times in 443 Posts
On the drive side, there is a pin that keeps the chain from jamming between the largest chainwheel and the crank. It transmits no torque.

On the non-drive side there is a safety-plate. Some people call it a pin. It serves two purposes. It is a gauge to aid in proper assembly of the two piece crank, and, if the crank arm bolts are not torqued correctly, to serve as a fail-safe for a few turns of the crank. It transmits no torque under normal operations.

So, double check:

Crank arm lengths. (Unlikely.)
Centerline of frame to cranks. (Unlikely.)
YOU.

We are asymmetric creatures, think lobster claws.

(For most people the duh moment is put your right hand over your right shoulder at the top of your spine behind your back. Then put your left hand behind your back above the bottom of your spine and reach up and grab your right hand. Then visa-versa.)

-mr. bill

Last edited by mr_bill; 10-31-19 at 04:01 PM.
Old 10-31-19, 05:28 PM
Elvo

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 630 Post(s)
Liked 369 Times in 206 Posts
Old 11-01-19, 07:14 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by mr_bill
On the drive side, there is a pin that keeps the chain from jamming between the largest chainwheel and the crank. It transmits no torque.

On the non-drive side there is a safety-plate. Some people call it a pin. It serves two purposes. It is a gauge to aid in proper assembly of the two piece crank, and, if the crank arm bolts are not torqued correctly, to serve as a fail-safe for a few turns of the crank. It transmits no torque under normal operations.

So, double check:

Crank arm lengths. (Unlikely.)
Centerline of frame to cranks. (Unlikely.)
YOU.

We are asymmetric creatures, think lobster claws.

(For most people the duh moment is put your right hand over your right shoulder at the top of your spine behind your back. Then put your left hand behind your back above the bottom of your spine and reach up and grab your right hand. Then visa-versa.)

-mr. bill
Honest question--if the issue is rider asymmetry, what can be done to address it? Is it a conditioning issue or are there mechanical fixes?

I've never experienced this, so I'm wondering if anyone has had to deal with it and what they did.
Old 11-01-19, 08:10 AM
MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 10142 Post(s)
Liked 5,831 Times in 3,139 Posts
The left front tire on my car went flat and I've narrowed down the cause to the extra weight of the driver and controls, which are on that side. Can anyone recommend a car without this obvious design flaw?
Old 11-01-19, 08:40 AM
cgates66

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've been following this thread for a couple of days, and I feel compelled to weigh in. FairWheel bikes did a study a while back comparing crank stiffness, using a 200 pound load (I think the bar graph above is from that study, or maybe an earlier one). The range for deflection on the DS was between 4 - 6mm, and on the NDS was 5 - 7mm or so, depending on the model. An ideal 175mm beam, with a 5x25mm section would deflect ~4mm under a similar load. Anyway, the DS / NDS difference is ~1 - 1.5mm under a 200 pounds. It is highly improbable that anyone could do 200 pounds per pedal stroke for any extended period of time - think 30 - 60 pounds as more typical, and the deflection is linear with the load for these small values. That means 1mm under a 200 pound load would be more like 0.15 - 0.3mm under a "typical" load.

It is highly unlikely that a 1mm deflection difference would have any physiological effect, and even less likely that a 0.15 - 0.3mm deflection would have any effect.
Old 11-01-19, 08:46 AM
Homebrew01
Super Moderator

Bikes: Old Steelies I made, Old Cannondales

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1173 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 612 Posts

It's not plausible that a minuscule difference in crank stiffness caused injury/pain to 1 leg.
Plenty of more likely causes.

FYI: https://www.bikeforums.net/forum-sugg...ad-please.html
Old 11-01-19, 09:09 AM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
On a Trek 520, frame flex at the bottom bracket is significantly more likely than crankarm flex.

For the arms to deflect, the OP would either need to be putting down a whole bunch of power, or have a really off-balance pedal stroke.

I think the simple answer here is the OP doesn't ride much, then did 26 miles a day on back-to-back days.

Conditioning most likely, with bike fit a close second. Frame/crank material not even in the running.
Old 11-01-19, 09:36 AM
Caliper

Bikes: Many

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 43 Posts
Originally Posted by MoAlpha
The left front tire on my car went flat and I've narrowed down the cause to the extra weight of the driver and controls, which are on that side. Can anyone recommend a car without this obvious design flaw?
A Formula 1 car avoids this design flaw, I suggest you upgrade!

To the OP... Yes, as an engineer, I am sure that I could calculate slightly more flex on the left side crank arm due to having to transmit torque through the crank axle to the drive side. However, that difference in flex is going to be minuscule, something best measured with tools a machinist would use. If you are riding in regular street shoes, I would expect the flex in the sole of your shoe to be larger than in the crank. I would agree with those above that this is a setup or bike fit issue. Our bodies are often fairly asymmetrical whether it is noticed or not.
Old 11-01-19, 10:08 AM
mr_bill

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 2112 Post(s)
Liked 663 Times in 443 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
Honest question--if the issue is rider asymmetry, what can be done to address it? Is it a conditioning issue or are there mechanical fixes?

I've never experienced this, so I'm wondering if anyone has had to deal with it and what they did.
About a year ago first time putting any weight on my leg:

Anyhow, most people are not that extreme obviously. Just keep riding is usually all that needs to be done.

But yes, in some cases you adapt the bike. See adaptive cycling forum here.

But in atrophy cases like mine, pros help. I miss my physical therapist honestly. I had to mindfully make sure that I wasn't cheating with my right leg.

Many crank power meters assume rider symmetry. We aren't. But you don't need a power meter.

The easiest real world way to find out is to ride on a quiet bike path or quiet road. Slight uphill useful, and nobbies help but road tires work too.

WAAAaaahWAAAaaahWAAAaaahWAAAaaah. (Symmetric power application.)
WAAAaaahWAAAaaahWAAAaaahWAAAaaah. (Asymmetric power application.)
WAAAaaahwaaaaaahWAAAaaahwaaaaaah. (Physical therapy to work that left leg.)
WAAAaaaaaaaaaaaahWAAAaaaaaaaaaaaah. (Single-leg training.)

And of course:

WAAAWAAAWAAAWAAAWAAAWAAAWAAAWAAA. (Spin class.)
BOOMBOOMBOOMBOOMBOOMBOOMBOOMBOOM. (Spin class bass line.)
KEEP IT QUICK COME ON. STARTING TO BURN A LITTLE? (Spin class instructor.)

Finally, some asymmetry is perfectly normal. Effects runners too. Before you think symmetric is obvioulsy better, Usain Bolt has an asymmetric stride.

-mr. bill

Last edited by mr_bill; 11-01-19 at 10:53 AM.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.