Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Winter Cycling
Reload this Page >

Bottom 1/2 reccomendations for sub-freezing? (32F->0F)

Notices
Winter Cycling Don't let snow and ice discourage you this winter. The key element to year-round cycling is proper attire! Check out this winter cycling forum to chat with other ice bike fanatics.

Old 10-27-19, 10:59 AM
Marcus_Ti
FLIR Kitten to 0.05C

Bikes: Roadie: Seven Axiom Race Ti w/Chorus 11s. CX/Adventure: Carver Gravel Grinder w/ Di2

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2349 Post(s)
Liked 406 Times in 254 Posts

Last year I did layers. Lots of winter layers. And it was cumbersome on the commute, taking 15 minutes to get to the point of getting my jacket and gloves on and out the door....to the point where I was already sweating/baking before getting outside.

I'm wondering about say fleece-lined ski pants or the like outer, with cycling shorts or winter bib tights under? What say ye? Lots of options on Amazon, and would prefer to be cheap--but if I need to spend $$$ I will.
Old 10-27-19, 04:27 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3868 Post(s)
Liked 2,560 Times in 1,574 Posts
I really like my PI AmFib tights down to 10 degrees F or so. Not cheap upfront, but they are durable enough for many seasons.
Likes For ThermionicScott:
Old 10-29-19, 07:15 PM
mcours2006

Bikes: ...a few.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 2009 Post(s)
Liked 405 Times in 231 Posts
Ski pants would be cumbersome for riding any distance. A pair thicker tights under a windproof pair of pants, not the ski type, would be sufficient in -17*C. Below that, I might ad a pair of knee warmers under the pants.

The whole rigmarole is a hassle for sure and adds an extra 20-30 minutes, at least, to the time required to do the commute. But I take comfort in knowing that it's only for a few months.
Likes For mcours2006:
Old 10-30-19, 09:49 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2575 Post(s)
Liked 1,900 Times in 1,192 Posts
Some years back I found some house brand tights wandering through REI. These had a water-resistant layer on the front of the thighs that seals off the wind, and reasonably thick pile on the rear and the calf. These are my go-to tights below 20F.

I'm not sure these are the same thing: https://www.rei.com/product/157092/r...ing-pants-mens but it's in the same ballpark, price-wise. Pearl Izumi and/or Sugoi probably have something similar for 2-3X the price.
Old 10-30-19, 10:16 AM
mcours2006

Bikes: ...a few.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 2009 Post(s)
Liked 405 Times in 231 Posts
Originally Posted by pdlamb
Some years back I found some house brand tights wandering through REI. These had a water-resistant layer on the front of the thighs that seals off the wind, and reasonably thick pile on the rear and the calf. These are my go-to tights below 20F.

I'm not sure these are the same thing: https://www.rei.com/product/157092/r...ing-pants-mens but it's in the same ballpark, price-wise. Pearl Izumi and/or Sugoi probably have something similar for 2-3X the price.
"Water-repellent in light rain" is not much of a claim. I do have a pair of Sugoi pants that are similar with the thicker panel in the front, and it appears to be waterproof or repellent, but they are not. Last week in a heavier consistent rain there were good for about 10 minutes before I felt the cold damp rain on my thighs.
Old 10-30-19, 10:38 AM
Marcus_Ti
FLIR Kitten to 0.05C

Bikes: Roadie: Seven Axiom Race Ti w/Chorus 11s. CX/Adventure: Carver Gravel Grinder w/ Di2

Quoted: 2349 Post(s)
Liked 406 Times in 254 Posts
Originally Posted by ThermionicScott
I really like my PI AmFib tights down to 10 degrees F or so. Not cheap upfront, but they are durable enough for many seasons.
I've been layering thermal tights...and it still isn't enough to trap heat below 20F. And it takes forever to get out the door. Haven't laid out $$$ for PI AmFibs (using look-a-like thermal-fleece/softshell cycling tights off Amazon), but I doubt they'd be any warmer for costing 4x-5X as much per tight.

Originally Posted by mcours2006
Ski pants would be cumbersome for riding any distance. A pair thicker tights under a windproof pair of pants, not the ski type, would be sufficient in -17*C. Below that, I might ad a pair of knee warmers under the pants.

The whole rigmarole is a hassle for sure and adds an extra 20-30 minutes, at least, to the time required to do the commute. But I take comfort in knowing that it's only for a few months.
For 20F for 6ish miles, one way...need two layers of thermal tights, and windbreaker pants....still not warm enough when it gets much colder. Hence the thought about ski-pants or the like.
Old 10-30-19, 12:37 PM
Hypno Toad
meh

Bikes: 23 Cutthroat, 21 CoMotion Java; 21 Bianchi Infinito; 15 Surly Pugsley; 11 Globe Daily; 09 Kona Dew Drop; 96 Mondonico

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,011 Times in 518 Posts
Second vote for Pearl Izumi AmFib tights, paired with Smart Wool snowboard socks down to ~15*F. And when temps 0 to 15*F, I add knickers and/or rain pants over the top . My PI pants have held up to regular and heavy use for 4-5 years.
Old 10-30-19, 03:24 PM
CharlieFree

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
I've been looking at the softshell trousers from Swrve. They are expensive, but might fit the bill. https://swrve.us/collections/trouser...shell-trousers
Old 10-31-19, 04:29 PM
scoatw

Bikes: 96 gary fisher 'utopia' : 99 Softride 'Norwester'(for sale), 1972 Raleigh Twenty. Surly 1x1 converted to 1x8, 96 Turner Burner

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I wear Sport Hill XC pants over my workpants. I do that when morning temps are in the 30f 's. When it gets in the 20f 's I'll add a pair of leg warmers for an extra layer. That works below 0f. That's been working for me for the last 12 years,
Old 10-31-19, 06:39 PM
wipekitty
vespertine member

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 687 Post(s)
Liked 220 Times in 163 Posts
I'm personally a fan of rain pants over winter bib tights when it gets cold enough that tights alone no longer do the job. Cycling-specific pants are easier to ride in (and more aerodynamic, if you want to go fast and turn up the wind chill even more!), and waterproof/breathable ones are better for preventing sweaty legs.

That said, I used some cheaper not breathable rain pants (Helly Hansen Voss, to be specific) for a few years. They will trap the heat and cut the wind, if that's what you're after. Tested and approved on the Wisconsin/Minnesota border.

A benefit of rain pants is that they also work for, well, rain, as well as those spring days when getting covered in sludge is unavoidable.
Likes For wipekitty:
Old 11-02-19, 10:39 AM
But its me 

Bikes: A few older US made Cannondales, a modern Soma Saga (no longer made, alas!), and one gifted crabon Specialized. Never enough.

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked 60 Times in 39 Posts
Another vote for AmFib bibs. Several years ago I scored some unpadded ones for relatively cheap, $60 or so. I was hesitant to order unpadded, but it works out for layering when needed. I wear a padded short du jour underneath for 20-30F. Below 20F and I add in a set of thick PI leg warmers to the shorts, or a full, padded Craft bib under the AmFibs if I am worried about dropping even lower. I also use Lake MZ303 boots for anything below 45, since my feet get cold regardless of temperature. The Lakes are nice, but not perfect. Double socks (Costco’s Smartwool knockoffs are my usual daily sock) with a thin Smartwool base sock. For really cold temps I will remove the insoles and wear a neoprene dive bootie over socks. Above 45 and I wear my usual Shimano touring last shoes and an old Cannondale neoprene cover (well worn and full of shoe goo, I might add).

I try to have the bike fully loaded and ready to go before dressing. Still get hot, but I save upper body clothing and helmet for right at the door or even outside.
Likes For But its me:
Old 11-03-19, 06:06 PM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Originally Posted by Marcus_Ti
Last year I did layers. Lots of winter layers. And it was cumbersome on the commute, taking 15 minutes to get to the point of getting my jacket and gloves on and out the door....to the point where I was already sweating/baking before getting outside.
I really like my PI AmFib tights down to 10 degrees F or so.

Not cheap upfront, but they are durable enough for many seasons.
Originally Posted by But its me
Another vote for AmFib bibsI try to have the bike fully loaded and ready to go before dressing.

Still get hot, but I save upper body clothing and helmet for right at the door or even outside.
The whole rigmarole is a hassle for sure and adds an extra 20-30 minutes, at least, to the time required to do the commute.

But I take comfort in knowing that it's only for a few months.
Just this morning I was looking online at an LBS website, and decided on getting PI Pursuit Thermal Tights…a perfect answer to what do you want for Christmas, and that’s when I’ll be needing them. It seems the AmFib are bib types, which I don’t want.

About dressing for the commute, I recently posted
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
Commuting rituals?

Checking the weather and dressing are the essentials of my pre-commute, especially for inclement / winter weather: The finishing touches are precisely timed: to go to the bathroom, and then add the final layer(s) so I won’t be too warm before I descend the stairs from our second floor condo.

Finding a bathroom en route on my 14 mile one-way commute and accessing through a few layers is a hassle, especially because of cold weather diuresis:
I was gratified to read about this phenomenon a few years ago, called “cold diuresis.” A nice explanation is provided in Outside Magazine:
Originally Posted by Outside Magazine
What you’re experiencing is called cold diuresis, a phenomenon that occurs for reasons that are not entirely clear. One theory that remains popular—though it has been contested—explains how it works like this:

When your temperature starts to drop, your body will attempt to reduce heat loss by constricting blood vessels and reducing blood flow to the surface of the skin.

When that happens, your blood pressure will rise, because the same volume of blood is flowing through less space in your body. In response, your kidneys will pull out excess fluid to reduce your blood pressure, making you have to pee.

“A full bladder is a place for additional heat loss, so urinating will help conserve heat,” writes Rick Curtis, the director of Princeton University’s Outdoor Action Program…
Here in Massachusetts, there are stories (? urban legends) about scofflaws diuresing in public being tagged as Level I sex offenders. So one has to be careful….
So simple tights is the answer for me.
Old 11-03-19, 06:18 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Bottom 1/2 reccomendations for sub-freezing? (32F->0F)Just this morning I was looking online at an LBS website, and decided on getting PI Pursuit Thermal Tights…a perfect answer to what do you want for Christmas, and that’s when I’ll be needing them. It seems the AmFib are bib types, which I don’t want.
Mine are not-bibs, if that helps.

They've tweaked the model slightly since I bought them but these are basically it. No "screaming yellow" on mine: https://www.pearlizumi.com/US/en/sho...ght/p/11111713
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 11-03-19, 06:30 PM
Jim from Boston

Mine are not-bibs, if that helps.

They've tweaked the model slightly since I bought them but these are basically it. No "screaming yellow" on mine: https://www.pearlizumi.com/US/en/sho...ght/p/11111713
Thanks for the reply. So are AmFib tights better/warmer? Slightly more expensive, but that's not a consideration.

Currently I use light-, mid-, and heavyweight base layers in various combinations
The way I organize my winter dress is by levels (link), 1 to 6...The levels do not mean layers, but the combination of gear for temperature intervals, in increments of about 10 degrees F…

The level makes the job of selecting clothing very easy for that decision to be made on the morning of a commute, without going outside. Sometimes I may bring along a piece of apparel from a higher level just in case.

The scheme is particularly useful at the change of seasons to remind me of what works. Also, I choose by ambient temperature and usually ignore the reported wind chill temp, because there always is a wind chill on the moving bike...
Old 11-03-19, 06:32 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Thanks for the reply. So are AmFib tights better/warmer? Slightly more expensive, but that's not a consideration.
It's supposed to be warmer, but I haven't tried the Pursuit ones you're looking at. The AmFib shell helps block wind and resist rain on the front side, and it works really well for that.

I just wear a pair of merino briefs under them, and that does the job down to 10 degrees or so.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 11-03-19, 06:40 PM
Jim from Boston

It's supposed to be warmer, but I haven't tried the Pursuit ones you're looking at. The AmFib shell helps block wind and resist rain on the front side, and it works really well for that.

I just wear a pair of merino briefs under them, and that does the job down to 10 degrees or so.
Sounds good, especially the wind shell, Resisting rain can be an impossible task, but I presume I would wear them below 32°F, where water resistance to snow would be a benefit.

I do have rain pants for temps above that, worn with a base layer of a weight depending on the temperature.
"Water-repellent in light rain" is not much of a claim. I do have a pair of Sugoi pants that are similar with the thicker panel in the front, and it appears to be waterproof or repellent, but they are not.

Last week in a heavier consistent rain there were good for about 10 minutes before I felt the cold damp rain on my thighs.

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 11-03-19 at 06:46 PM.
Old 11-03-19, 07:58 PM
GrainBrain

Bikes: LeMond Zurich, Giant Talon 29er

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1218 Post(s)
Liked 609 Times in 458 Posts
Originally Posted by Marcus_Ti
I've been layering thermal tights...and it still isn't enough to trap heat below 20F. And it takes forever to get out the door. Haven't laid out $$$ for PI AmFibs (using look-a-like thermal-fleece/softshell cycling tights off Amazon), but I doubt they'd be any warmer for costing 4x-5X as much per tight.

For 20F for 6ish miles, one way...need two layers of thermal tights, and windbreaker pants....still not warm enough when it gets much colder. Hence the thought about ski-pants or the like.
I'm curious to know where your cold spots are? I wear a similar gear set, UA tights under wind breaker slacks. But I'll also wear a standard pair of summer padded shorts under the slacks as well. Usually my sit bones start getting cold first around 20°f but everything else is fine.
Old 11-13-19, 10:18 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5218 Post(s)
Liked 3,564 Times in 2,331 Posts
when it's super cold, I like cycling specific rain pants (double layer) with something underneath, like thin running tights or warmer fleece pants

when it's in the mid to upper 30s regular cycling pants are fine as-is. as it gets colder I can add a single layer under those as well, usually just thin running tights. if I need the fleece pants under then I'll swap the regular cycling pants for the two layer rain pants cuz they are a better barrier to the wind

I've tried snow pants & they work, but they are bulky for the bike

fwiw - my 1st layer is always thin lined tri-shorts

so I mentioned cycling pants & fleece tights. these are the tights I used this weekend cuz I couldn't find my running tights.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B016J164SK/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

which are no longer available, good luck finding similar

they were really hard to find. I only use them once or twice a year before switching to men's fleece pants I got from EMS

https://www.ems.com/ems-mens-classic...s/2009204.html

don't know if these are the same but might be (looks like these aren't available anymore?)

again those 2 items go between cycling shorts & an outer layer, either cycling pants or cycling rain pants

Last edited by rumrunn6; 11-18-19 at 05:17 AM.
Old 12-02-19, 09:57 PM
Craptacular8

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 182 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 31 Posts
I must be the only one that didn’t find PI amfibs to be the ticket for cold weather riding. I thought they did a good job for cool/windy rides in the upper 20’s-30’s, but not enough for me below that. Maybe I should have upsized? I thought I could used them under another cross country ski pant, but think I would probably have too much bulk inside my lake boots to do so.

im like the op. Top half I’m great. Hands feet are good. Anything over an hour and a half in the single digits and below, the backs of my thighs, and behind are pretty darn frosty. Perhaps the new Bontrager mtb I thiink soft shell looking pant might work better? Looks like a competitor to 45 NRTh version.
Old 12-03-19, 07:27 AM
parkbrav

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 220 Post(s)
Liked 114 Times in 97 Posts
Waterproof "rain pants" on top, sweat pants below. The rain pants work as a windbreaker and trap in body heat as you pedal

I've tried snow pants & they work, but they are bulky for the bike
My rain pants are kind of bulky, but I tape them down and use rubber elastics to seal the ankle area, that compresses them pretty well
Old 12-05-19, 12:23 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 510 Post(s)
Quoted: 7287 Post(s)
Liked 2,361 Times in 1,380 Posts
Someone here on BF recommended these pants for winter. They go OVER your pants. Well, I find that they are too warm. I think I've worn them only once or twice. I may not have many occasions to wear them. So if you get cold more easily than I do (which is quite likely), or if you live in a colder place than New York, these might be great. They are more flexible than ski pants, but damn, they are warm.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 12-14-19, 05:49 PM
scoatw

Bikes: 96 gary fisher 'utopia' : 99 Softride 'Norwester'(for sale), 1972 Raleigh Twenty. Surly 1x1 converted to 1x8, 96 Turner Burner

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
For the last 12 years I've been wearing Sport Hill XC pants. Windproof to 35mph, Coldproof to about 20F. Below that, wear thermals. A relaxed fit so if need be you can wear over something else. I wear them to work with my work pants on underneath in cold temps.
Old 12-14-19, 06:03 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
If the conditions are dry I use a pair of thermal tights with slim fitting jeans or slim fitting cargo pants... If it's wet , messy and snowing I use pants made from synthetic fabric in combination with thermal tights...I avoid any fabric that is labeled as waterproof or windproof because it's just becomes a sweat bath.