Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Post your Centurion Ironman.. For the love of 80s paint jobs!

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Post your Centurion Ironman.. For the love of 80s paint jobs!

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-19, 06:52 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Occasionally I've ridden without a helmet -- rarely. Last time was summer 2018 when I had to get a replacement helmet after my first was slightly damaged when I was hit by a car in May 2018. I don't have a car, there's no bus to REI and I didn't want to pester a friend or call Uber. So I rode to REI wearing my boonie hat. Bought a Bell Formula MIPS. Great helmet for the money.

Then this summer I saw a horrific crash during a group ride. Caught it on video too. The fellow's front tire nicked a seam that went from flat and level on both sides to a 1" difference in height. Just enough to throw him off balance. He fell to the right, smacked his head, then slid into a curb and struck the top of his head. The helmet took the impacts, and it showed. I was closest and the first to stop, but fortunately this ride was accompanied by professional EMTs or paramedics so they attended him within a minute.

No open head injury but he was clearly in shock and the effect set in rapidly. I've seen it before, as a boxer (seeing other people knocked out -- my head is too hard), and working ER as a Navy Corpsman, and later with my mom who suffered mini-strokes and TBI's from falls. But it never gets easier watching someone suffer the effects of a concussion or more serious head injury.

I bought a spare helmet the following week so I wouldn't be tempted to ride without one again. POC Omne Air Spin, sort of a commuter helmet but with outstanding ventilation. It's mostly for my hybrids, but I've worn it on the hottest summer days because it's better ventilated than the Bell.

Originally Posted by RobbieTunes
I floated the idea of going "no helmet" on RAIN next year. if it's hot again.
That idea was very quickly, very flatly nixed by a person who cares.
End of discussion, period.
Old 11-04-19, 09:54 PM
Hackman61

Bikes: Matte black 2017 Specialized Sirrus, 2019 Salsa Journeyman, 2013 Cannondale Synapse

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 12 Posts

Cleaned a little and installed pedals.
Tried a picture of the new IM. Found a half frozen link in the chain that makes it like to jump on the cassette. Front tire is a 23c and the rear is a 25C. Needs new rubber for sure.
Likes For Hackman61:
Old 11-05-19, 08:14 AM
texaspandj

Bikes: '85, '86 , '87 , '88 , '89 Centurion Dave Scott Ironman.

Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Quoted: 1605 Post(s)
Liked 582 Times in 379 Posts
Originally Posted by Hackman61

Cleaned a little and installed pedals.
Tried a picture of the new IM. Found a half frozen link in the chain that makes it like to jump on the cassette. Front tire is a 23c and the rear is a 25C. Needs new rubber for sure.
Oh Yeah, that'll work.
So much potential. Are you staying original or modernizing?
There's a lot to be said of the original Shimano 105 components.
Old 11-05-19, 08:27 AM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3241 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts
Teal and white 52/54cm in Wilmington. Set up for triathloning.

https://wilmington.craigslist.org/bi...013471186.html
Old 11-05-19, 09:31 AM
TriBiker19 
Just call me Carrie

Bikes: '82 Fuji Supreme, '85 Shogun 200, '89 Centurion Ironman Master, '89 Centurion Ironman Expert

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 308 Post(s)
Liked 178 Times in 105 Posts
The Base Camp helmet is a LOT cheaper than an Air Attack.....
(I had to go up a size, recently, so I know...Belieeeeeeve me, I know).
Once in a while, I see the replacement shields on sale, but almost never the clear replacement shields.
I didn't wear my shield helmet in St. Louis this weekend, wore just an Air Attack and round Rx suns.
They didn't have clear, but I did see yellow replacement visors on Amazon as a purchase option. I'll probably get one of those. For now--no helmet. Hope the cats don't mind the bike/trainer in the kitchen...
Old 11-05-19, 09:35 AM
TriBiker19 
Just call me Carrie

Bikes: '82 Fuji Supreme, '85 Shogun 200, '89 Centurion Ironman Master, '89 Centurion Ironman Expert

Originally Posted by canklecat
Reminds me, that Base Camp aero helmet was on my Amazon shopping list last year. I need to check if they still have 'em. Good price, under $30. Assuming they aren't made of eggshells.

I doubt I'd wear an aero helmet often -- too hot in Texas most of the time. But it'd be handy to try for some new PRs/KOMs in cool weather.
Just be sure the measure your noggin. They're not kidding about the upper size limit. I think if I braid my hair, it's not going to fit. Seems sturdy enough and the reviews have a couple of people who crashed while wearing them. I looked through their pictures and the helmet was damaged but still intact after.
Old 11-05-19, 10:07 AM
Hackman61

Bikes: Matte black 2017 Specialized Sirrus, 2019 Salsa Journeyman, 2013 Cannondale Synapse

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 12 Posts
Texas...staying as original as I can. That's an Ironman in my opinion. Now if I can just get it clean. I did order a new chain in case I can't free up that link that makes the chain jump.
Likes For Hackman61:
Old 11-05-19, 11:36 AM
madpogue 

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 2362 Post(s)
Liked 1,749 Times in 1,191 Posts
Originally Posted by TriBiker19
Hope the cats don't mind the bike/trainer in the kitchen...
The noise, esp. on a hard floor, will prob. freak them out for a while. But then they'll just ignore it, just another one of those silly things humans do that has nothing to do with food, sleep or chasing each other. Besides, kitchen is an ideal location for phase 2 - connecting trainer to smoothie blender.
Old 11-05-19, 02:08 PM
texaspandj

Originally Posted by seypat

That's a 54cm.
Oh man, great price + great bike.
Old 11-05-19, 02:14 PM
seypat

Originally Posted by texaspandj
That's a 54cm.
Oh man, great price + great bike.
The person that posted it on the EBay/CL thread is a local to the listing he might be able to facilitate. Contact him if someone is interested. Here's the page.

https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...t-ii-2109.html
Old 11-05-19, 03:03 PM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 1,409 Times in 909 Posts

Not buying anything from a place called Monkey Junction.

Last edited by RobbieTunes; 11-05-19 at 03:08 PM.
Likes For RobbieTunes:
Old 11-05-19, 03:45 PM
seypat

I realize that being a ECU Pirate, you might not have any love for the Wilmington area or Seahawks in general. This bike is emitting some IM karma. It's in the area of the Beach to Battleship Tri or whatever it is called now if it is still going. Maybe that bike has done duty in the Beach to Battleship. Plus, I clicked on the map. If you make it smaller, there is a restaurant due east of the location called Smoke on the Water. You can't make this stuff up! Maybe I should inquire about it myself. Let me think about it. You have any connections in the Wilmington area that could do someone a solid? Segway time.

More importantly, do you have any good Beach to Battleship stories that you could share with the thread? At least let them know what it is/was about?
Old 11-05-19, 03:49 PM
seypat

On an unrelated note, Monkey Junction made me think of Philo Beddoe. He was an Ironman if there ever was one.
Old 11-05-19, 05:14 PM
VintageTTfan

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 333 Post(s)
Liked 230 Times in 193 Posts
Originally Posted by Hackman61
Texas...staying as original as I can. That's an Ironman in my opinion. Now if I can just get it clean. I did order a new chain in case I can't free up that link that makes the chain jump.
Staying original....always a good choice IMO. That is a nice bike....congrats....let us know how you like riding it.
Old 11-05-19, 06:13 PM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

For @seypat...

Wilmington is something like 4,120 miles from Barstow, CA, via I-40, which runs all the way. The Wilmington area is known for wanting tourist money but being rather hostile to tourists who do not have ample money. And racist a long way back. There was a riot there a long time ago. The very left NPR station there, WUNC, focuses on it over and over, as if it was just yesterday. But I still listened.

The most exclusive comunity there is Landfall, or it was when it declined Michael Jordan. Couldn't have him golfing there with his friends, you understand.

The beaches are owned by the citizens of NC, but the parking is not. As such, you have to walk forever to get to the beach, and the parking they do have is metered.

People are hit fairly often trying to cross over the final street. Laid back, it ain't. It's the rich's way of, you know, keeping the public off of the public beaches.

Not far away is the island where John Edwards and Al Gore live, which has a public beach, but accessible only by boat. Surfers paddle over there and then smoke and drink on the beach. Drives the rich residents nuts, and they often call the cops to report surfers on "their" beach." That never makes the news, but its a good human interest story.

The area has a history of mismanaging events, going back to the early triathlons, which had the swim events in the harbor, reeking of diesel. Probably why they can't get a decent golf tournament.

One marathon ended "near" a mall entrance canopy, only someone forgot to tell the mall...we weaved our way through the parking lot, and many arguments ensued as to who actually won.

One marathon scheduled to be to the beach and back was instead run with 4 laps around Greenfield Lake, in the dark, due to gale warnings. 36 degrees and rain, and when I stopped after 3 laps, I was one of 5 left, though I have no idea where they were, not having seen anyone all day.

A 10k was no different, from a registration area with no bathrooms, to no water on the course.

In another, I was leading by a wide margin when the lead patrol car pulled over and said he was lost. I looked back to see half the field turning L and half turning R, about 2-3 blocks back. Though I'd led at the 5k point by a good 100 yards in about 15:30, the winner was declared with a 10k time of 25:something (world record!). When I asked him about it, he said "that's what you get for not knowing the course." I reached down and took his trophy and gave it to a little kid. He said not a word.

I won a race there and one of the awards was a free condo the next year for the weekend. Alas, it had no AC, in July, the next year.

The battleship is the USS North Carolina, and on the Ironman-distance tri, you run from it and to it. That event has had its share of fiascos.

On the other hand, two of the most unique trophies I've won were a driftwood pelican sculpture and a smoked glass sculpture from the same event, the Seaside Shuffle.

A good race was the Tri-span 10k, across the 3 bridges that span the Cape Fear Ruver. I had chest pains on that, the week before my heart attack. Fittingly, we retired to Burrito Bob's , where the AC was out, so Margaritas were $5/pitcher . I ended up at a woman's house, only to be driven out in the wee hours by her parrot.

I doubt I'd race there if you paid me to show up.

There is an alligator in a pond there near Carolina Beach. A lady didn't believe it, and it ate her dog.

There you go, Pat.

Last edited by RobbieTunes; 11-05-19 at 07:23 PM.
Likes For RobbieTunes:
Old 11-05-19, 06:36 PM
madpogue 

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 2362 Post(s)
Liked 1,749 Times in 1,191 Posts
I ended up at a woman's house, only to be driven out in the wee hours by her parrot.
Sounds like the subtext for a Jim Jarmusch movie and/or a Jimmy Buffett song.....
Likes For madpogue:
Old 11-05-19, 06:44 PM
seypat

Wilmington is something like 4,120 miles from Barstow, CA, via I-40, which runs all the way. The Wilmington area is known for wanting tourist money but being rather hostile to tourists who do not have ample money. And racist.

The most exclusive comunity there is Landfall, or it was when it declined Michael Jordan.

The beaches are owned by the citizens of NC, but the parking is not. As such, you have to walk forever to get to the beach, and the parking they do have is metered.

Not far away is the island where John Edwards and Al Gore live, which has a public beach, but accessible only by boat. We used to paddle surfboards over there and then smoke and drink on the beach. Drove the residents nuts.

The area has a history of mismanaging races, going back to the early triathlons, which had the swim events in the harbor, reeking of diesel.

One marathon ended "near" a mall entrance canopy, only someone forgot to tell the mall...we weaved our way through the parking lot, and many arguments ensued as to who actually won.

One marathon scheduled to be to the beach and back was instead run with 4 laps around Greenfiekd Lake, in the dark, due to gale warnings. 36 degrees and rain, and when I stopped after 3 laps, I was one of 5 left, though I have no idea where they were, not having seen anyone all day.

A 10k was no different, from a registration area with no bathrooms, to no water on the course.

In another, I was leading by a wide margin when the lead patrol car pulled over and said he was lost. I looked back to see half the field turning L and half turning R, about 2-3 blocks back. Though I'd led at the 5k point by a good 100 yards in about 15:30, the winner was declared with a 10k time of 25:something (world record!). When I asked him about it, he said "that's what you get for not knowing the course." I reached down and took his trophy and gave it to a little kid. He said not a word.

I won a race there and one of the awards was a free condo the next year for the weekend. Alas, it had no AC, in July, the next year.

The battleship is the USS North Carolina, and on the Ironman-distance tri, you run from it and to it. That event has had its share of fiascos.

On the other hand, two of the most unique trophies I've won were a driftwood pelican sculpture and a smoked glass sculpture from the same event, the Seaside Shuffle.

A good race was the Tri-span 10k, across the 3 bridges that span the Cape Fear Ruver. I had chest pains on that, the week before my heart attack. Fittingly, we retired to Burrito Bob's , where the AC was out, so Margaritas were $5/pitcher . I ended up at a woman's house, only to be driven out in the wee hours by her parrot.

I doubt I'd race there if you paid me to show up. There is an alligator in a pond there near Carolina Beach. A lady didn't believe it, and it ate her dog.

There you go, Pat.
I knew you'd have some interesting stories! I'll have to hear more of the parrot story at SOTR. As I remember last year there was a hurricane mid September that shut down a ton of races along the East coast. The IM courses in Maryland and NC were basically under water.

Last edited by seypat; 11-05-19 at 06:48 PM.
Old 11-05-19, 07:13 PM
TriBiker19 
Just call me Carrie

Speaking of triathlon, there was a mistake with the Ironman Canada 70.3 medals back in July....so all the finishers received corrected ones in the mail. (reposted from a group I'm in.) 13.1km run? I'm jealous.
Old 11-05-19, 07:25 PM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Originally Posted by madpogue
Sounds like the subtext for a Jim Jarmusch movie and/or a Jimmy Buffett song.....
Well, it was fun, then sweaty, then a bit creepy.
All of which I was OK with.

Last edited by RobbieTunes; 11-05-19 at 07:52 PM.
Old 11-05-19, 09:12 PM
texaspandj

Check out all the Dura Ace 9 speed goodness going on my '89 Summertime Blues tommorow.
Likes For texaspandj:
Old 11-05-19, 09:26 PM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

7700 goodness...

Originally Posted by texaspandj
Check out all the Dura Ace 9 speed goodness going on my '89 Summertime Blues tommorow.
You want some OEM rings for that? Or does the camera mask the bronze ?
Old 11-06-19, 07:52 AM
rccardr 
aka: Dr. Cannondale

Mentioned: 234 Post(s)
Quoted: 2152 Post(s)
Liked 3,402 Times in 1,203 Posts
You gonna put that 11 speed chain on it?
Old 11-06-19, 11:44 AM
texaspandj

Originally Posted by rccardr
You gonna put that 11 speed chain on it?
No, the box is for the upgrade these components were pulled for. In fact all the components came in dura ace 9100? boxes.

Last edited by texaspandj; 11-08-19 at 07:21 AM.
Old 11-07-19, 05:35 PM
seypat

On an unrelated note, Monkey Junction made me think of Philo Beddoe. He was an Ironman if there ever was one.
I'm down in the dumps. Crushed really,.........that nobody picked up on my Philo Beddoe reference. I know I'm old, but not that old. Philo's right up there with the Outlaw Josey Wales for toughness.
Old 11-07-19, 05:44 PM
Hudson308 
Mr. Anachronism

Bikes: fillet-brazed Chicago Schwinns, and some other stuff

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 526 Post(s)
Liked 256 Times in 165 Posts
I'm down in the dumps. Crushed really,.........that nobody picked up on my Philo Beddoe reference. I know I'm old, but not that old. Philo's right up there with the Outlaw Josey Wales for toughness.
I caught it. "Right turn, Clyde."

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.