Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Kickstands

Old 11-12-19, 02:12 PM
  #1  
macbobster
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Posts: 33
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 6 Posts
Kickstands

If you have a kickstand on your bike you're NOT cool, so they say. I put one on and I'm feeling OK. When we ride the centuries I'll take off the rack, fenders and kickstand (about 2 pounds). Then I'll be cooler.

Last edited by macbobster; 11-12-19 at 02:49 PM.
macbobster is offline  
Likes For macbobster:
Old 11-12-19, 02:25 PM
  #2  
livedarklions
Cyclesomatic
 
livedarklions's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: New England
Posts: 5,890

Bikes: Trek FX 3; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Motobecane Fantom CX; Giant OCR A1

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3036 Post(s)
Liked 1,492 Times in 896 Posts
Originally Posted by macbobster View Post
If you have a kickstand on your bike you're NOT cool, so they say. I put one on and I'm feeling OK. When we ride the tours I'll take off the rack, fenders and kickstand (about 2 pounds). Then I'll be cooler.
My advice would be to leave that stuff on while you're touring, especially the rack.

I don't pack a lot on my overnights, but kickstands are nice to have when you have a laden bike, racks make iot easier to carry stuff, and fenders look really nice on the bike.
livedarklions is online now  
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 11-12-19, 02:26 PM
  #3  
GlennR
I'm Lost
 
GlennR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Long Island, New York, USA
Posts: 5,672

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1273 Post(s)
Liked 215 Times in 117 Posts
That stem is seriously long. Hows the steering?
GlennR is offline  
Likes For GlennR:
Old 11-12-19, 02:28 PM
  #4  
macbobster
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Posts: 33
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 6 Posts
"My advice would be to leave that stuff on while you're touring, especially the rack."



Yes agreed, I should have said "century tours". TUC and Ride the Rim are my favorites.

Last edited by macbobster; 11-12-19 at 02:56 PM.
macbobster is offline  
Old 11-12-19, 02:38 PM
  #5  
macbobster
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Posts: 33
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by GlennR View Post
That stem is seriously long. Hows the steering?
Well it's only a 130mm. Needed for the Rivendell Choco bars which have major sweep. The ride is super, the steering is so nice. It's a full on touring bike, if you want.
macbobster is offline  
Likes For macbobster:
Old 11-12-19, 02:44 PM
  #6  
livedarklions
Cyclesomatic
 
livedarklions's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: New England
Posts: 5,890

Bikes: Trek FX 3; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Motobecane Fantom CX; Giant OCR A1

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3036 Post(s)
Liked 1,492 Times in 896 Posts
Originally Posted by macbobster View Post
Yes agreed, I should have said "century tours". TUC and Ride the Rim are my favorites.
About 7 months of the year, I ride the equivalent of two centuries every weekend, weather permitting, some about that hilly. I say leave the rack on, makes the tool bag look better.

I've never ridden with that handlebar setup--looks like fun.
livedarklions is online now  
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 11-12-19, 02:46 PM
  #7  
FiftySix
I'm the anecdote.
 
FiftySix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: S.E. Texas
Posts: 1,112

Bikes: Norco CityGlide, Schwinn "Speedster" Willy

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 592 Post(s)
Liked 402 Times in 299 Posts
You ought to see the classically engineered kickstand on my Schwinn. It must be 18 pounds of chrome plated glory.
FiftySix is offline  
Old 11-12-19, 03:00 PM
  #8  
Trakhak
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Baltimore, MD
Posts: 1,815
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 430 Post(s)
Liked 59 Times in 45 Posts
Setting aside the supposed issue of coolness (nobody really cares who does or doesn't use a kickstand), installing a kickstand on an aluminum bike such as your Cannondale is almost guaranteed to result in frame damage. Even Surly says that installing a kickstand on their frames, which are all built with high-quality steel, voids the warranty.

If you want to avoid damaging the frame, you should consider installing a rear-wheel kickstand, which is much less likely to damage the frame.
Trakhak is offline  
Old 11-12-19, 03:03 PM
  #9  
FiftySix
I'm the anecdote.
 
FiftySix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: S.E. Texas
Posts: 1,112

Bikes: Norco CityGlide, Schwinn "Speedster" Willy

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 592 Post(s)
Liked 402 Times in 299 Posts
Originally Posted by Trakhak View Post
Setting aside the supposed issue of coolness (nobody really cares who does or doesn't use a kickstand), installing a kickstand on an aluminum bike such as your Cannondale is almost guaranteed to result in frame damage. Even Surly says that installing a kickstand on their frames, which are all built with high-quality steel, voids the warranty.

If you want to avoid damaging the frame, you should consider installing a rear-wheel kickstand, which is much less likely to damage the frame.
Weird. I don't get out much, but I've never heard of that before. I'm guessing those makers give long term frame warranties?

One thing is for sure, my aluminum framed Norco CityGlide came with an aluminum kickstand. But the warranty was over before I ever owned the bike.
FiftySix is offline  
Old 11-12-19, 03:06 PM
  #10  
macbobster
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Posts: 33
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by FiftySix View Post
You ought to see the classically engineered kickstand on my Schwinn. It must be 18 pounds of chrome plated glory.
A friend is giving me an old Schwinn. Not sure if it is a Varsity or Conti, or maybe better? Was gonna take a hack saw to the kickstand and probably never forgive myself.
macbobster is offline  
Old 11-12-19, 03:08 PM
  #11  
FiftySix
I'm the anecdote.
 
FiftySix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: S.E. Texas
Posts: 1,112

Bikes: Norco CityGlide, Schwinn "Speedster" Willy

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 592 Post(s)
Liked 402 Times in 299 Posts
Originally Posted by macbobster View Post
A friend is giving me an old Schwinn. Not sure if it is a Varsity or Conti, or maybe better? Was gonna take a hack saw to the kickstand and probably never forgive myself.
Nooooooo!!!!!

Watch this.

FiftySix is offline  
Likes For FiftySix:
Old 11-12-19, 03:19 PM
  #12  
macbobster
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Posts: 33
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Trakhak View Post
Setting aside the supposed issue of coolness (nobody really cares who does or doesn't use a kickstand), installing a kickstand on an aluminum bike such as your Cannondale is almost guaranteed to result in frame damage. Even Surly says that installing a kickstand on their frames, which are all built with high-quality steel, voids the warranty.

If you want to avoid damaging the frame, you should consider installing a rear-wheel kickstand, which is much less likely to damage the frame.
Funny you should mention that. I have seen steel frames dented from kickstand over-tightening. And this Greenfield Pletscher was actually slightly bent at the mounting flange. I put some Gorilla tape on it and was tightening it carefully. This 28 year old Cannondale has hefty (very) stays, but you are correct it could succumb to crushing. It's as tight as I want to go for now and I'll see if it holds it's place. I don't beleive I've done damage yet. Thanks for reminding me!

Cheers, MAC
macbobster is offline  
Old 11-12-19, 03:23 PM
  #13  
livedarklions
Cyclesomatic
 
livedarklions's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: New England
Posts: 5,890

Bikes: Trek FX 3; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Motobecane Fantom CX; Giant OCR A1

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3036 Post(s)
Liked 1,492 Times in 896 Posts
Originally Posted by Trakhak View Post
Setting aside the supposed issue of coolness (nobody really cares who does or doesn't use a kickstand), installing a kickstand on an aluminum bike such as your Cannondale is almost guaranteed to result in frame damage. Even Surly says that installing a kickstand on their frames, which are all built with high-quality steel, voids the warranty.

If you want to avoid damaging the frame, you should consider installing a rear-wheel kickstand, which is much less likely to damage the frame.
My FX3 has a plate for mounting the kickstand, which I have used for a couple years now without damage. You just have to be careful not to over-tighten.
livedarklions is online now  
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 11-12-19, 03:28 PM
  #14  
Trakhak
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Baltimore, MD
Posts: 1,815
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 430 Post(s)
Liked 59 Times in 45 Posts
Originally Posted by FiftySix View Post
Weird. I don't get out much, but I've never heard of that before. I'm guessing those makers give long term frame warranties?

One thing is for sure, my aluminum framed Norco CityGlide came with an aluminum kickstand. But the warranty was over before I ever owned the bike.
Surly now sells a custom kickstand mount to fit the Long Haul Trucker, designed to minimize the possibility of frame damage.

That said, the Surly info I referred to can be found on their site on a page entitled "Installing Kinkstands On Long Haul Truckers."

Maybe your Norco CityGlide has a welded-on kickstand mounting plate, if the bike was originally sold with a kickstand installed. I hope so.
Trakhak is offline  
Old 11-12-19, 03:28 PM
  #15  
indyfabz
Senior Member
 
indyfabz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 24,735
Mentioned: 189 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10030 Post(s)
Liked 1,482 Times in 893 Posts
Originally Posted by macbobster View Post
Funny you should mention that. I have seen steel frames dented from kickstand over-tightening.
The original Surly blog piece about kickstands and the risks resulted in people accusing the company of being anti-kickstand when it was really trying to be helpful. No good deed goes unpunished.

Here is what Surly originally wrote and its subsequent response:

https://surlybikes.com/info_hole/spe..._haul_truckers

I liked kickstands when I was a kid.
indyfabz is offline  
Old 11-12-19, 03:31 PM
  #16  
macbobster
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Posts: 33
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions View Post
About 7 months of the year, I ride the equivalent of two centuries every weekend, weather permitting, some about that hilly. I say leave the rack on, makes the tool bag look better.

I've never ridden with that handlebar setup--looks like fun.
That handlebar setup is not for everybody, but it has given new life to my cycling. I still have some forward lean (I don't do bolt upright) and I move forward to the hooks for climbing, gettin' aero and just diffrent positions. At my age drop bars are just a big pain in the everywhere, LOL.
macbobster is offline  
Likes For macbobster:
Old 11-12-19, 03:33 PM
  #17  
livedarklions
Cyclesomatic
 
livedarklions's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: New England
Posts: 5,890

Bikes: Trek FX 3; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Motobecane Fantom CX; Giant OCR A1

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3036 Post(s)
Liked 1,492 Times in 896 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz View Post
The original Surly blog piece about kickstands and the risks resulted in people accusing the company of being anti-kickstand when it was really trying to be helpful. No good deed goes unpunished.

Here is what Surly originally wrote and its subsequent response:

https://surlybikes.com/info_hole/spe..._haul_truckers

I liked kickstands when I was a kid.
They're kind of handy, but I only have one on one of my four bikes.
livedarklions is online now  
Old 11-12-19, 03:34 PM
  #18  
FiftySix
I'm the anecdote.
 
FiftySix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: S.E. Texas
Posts: 1,112

Bikes: Norco CityGlide, Schwinn "Speedster" Willy

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 592 Post(s)
Liked 402 Times in 299 Posts
Originally Posted by Trakhak View Post
Surly now sells a custom kickstand mount to fit the Long Haul Trucker, designed to minimize the possibility of frame damage.

That said, the Surly info I referred to can be found on their site on a page entitled "Installing Kinkstands On Long Haul Truckers."

Maybe your Norco CityGlide has a welded-on kickstand mounting plate, if the bike was originally sold with a kickstand installed. I hope so.
Indeed, it does have a welded on plate. I didn't realize that wasn't common.
FiftySix is offline  
Old 11-12-19, 03:41 PM
  #19  
macbobster
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Posts: 33
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions View Post
My FX3 has a plate for mounting the kickstand, which I have used for a couple years now without damage. You just have to be careful not to over-tighten.
Oh now you've got me thinking? Maybe I can come up with some sort of plate/shim thingie to spred the load, or alt mount. Something cool looking though.
macbobster is offline  
Old 11-12-19, 03:43 PM
  #20  
livedarklions
Cyclesomatic
 
livedarklions's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: New England
Posts: 5,890

Bikes: Trek FX 3; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Motobecane Fantom CX; Giant OCR A1

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3036 Post(s)
Liked 1,492 Times in 896 Posts
Originally Posted by macbobster View Post
That handlebar setup is not for everybody, but it has given new life to my cycling. I still have some forward lean (I don't do bolt upright) and I move forward to the hooks for climbing, gettin' aero and just diffrent positions. At my age drop bars are just a big pain in the everywhere, LOL.
I just fell in love with dropbars again after about a 30 year break (I'm 58). I may be giving my last flatbar bike to my son, but I'm sort of feeling an "end of an era" nostalgia about it.

My longest one day ride was 168 miles, and I did it on my FX 3, which I think gives a similar forward lean. Also use the platform pedals like you do, even on my dropbar road bikes.

I think keeping the stuff on while doing a century will make a pretty cool fashion statement. That bike looks great that way.
livedarklions is online now  
Old 11-12-19, 04:50 PM
  #21  
BobbyG
Senior Member
 
BobbyG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Colorado Springs, CO
Posts: 4,662

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 961 Post(s)
Liked 374 Times in 199 Posts
Originally Posted by macbobster View Post
That handlebar setup is not for everybody, but it has given new life to my cycling. I still have some forward lean (I don't do bolt upright) and I move forward to the hooks for climbing, gettin' aero and just diffrent positions. At my age drop bars are just a big pain in the everywhere, LOL.
My hands won't let me do straight bars anymore. I'm still good with drops; but I was wondering what I could do if I couldn't do drops, either. I like some forward lean. Your setup looks very comfortable to me. It also looks like you could put interrupter/cross brakes on the forward position...although that would spoil the looks...and I think your cannondale looks awsome!
BobbyG is offline  
Old 11-12-19, 05:13 PM
  #22  
macbobster
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Posts: 33
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by BobbyG View Post
My hands won't let me do straight bars anymore. I'm still good with drops; but I was wondering what I could do if I couldn't do drops, either. I like some forward lean. Your setup looks very comfortable to me. It also looks like you could put interrupter/cross brakes on the forward position...although that would spoil the looks...and I think your cannondale looks awsome!
Thanks for the kind words! I got started with swept back bars when I heard about a test. So you stand with your arms hanging loosely at your sides. Then you lean forward a bit, to where you like to be. Then slowly swing / raise your arms and hands forward to where you are comfy. Notice the position of your hands, this is your neutral hand position. This is potentially your least stressful / most comfortable riding position. Now try and find some bars that get you there (and some alt positions as well). This worked a miracle for me, but I have hand /wrist / neck /shoulder /back issues. Still got some legs though, getting old is not for wimps!

Last edited by macbobster; 11-12-19 at 05:25 PM.
macbobster is offline  
Old 11-12-19, 05:19 PM
  #23  
BobbyG
Senior Member
 
BobbyG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Colorado Springs, CO
Posts: 4,662

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 961 Post(s)
Liked 374 Times in 199 Posts
Originally Posted by macbobster View Post
...I heard about a test. So you stand with your arm hanging loosely at your sides. Then you lean forward a bit, to where you like to be. Then slowly swing / raise your arms and hands forward to where you are comfy. Notice the position of your hands, this is your neutral hand position. This is potentially your least stressful / most comfortable riding position. Now try and find some bars that get you there (and some alt positions as well)
This makes sense to me.
Originally Posted by macbobster View Post
...Still got some legs though, getting old is not for wimps!
I plan to go kicking and screaming. And as long as I'm kicking, I'm putting a bike between my legs.
BobbyG is offline  
Likes For BobbyG:
Old 11-12-19, 05:29 PM
  #24  
wolfchild
Senior Member
 
wolfchild's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Mississauga/Toronto, Ontario canada
Posts: 5,869

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1553 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 219 Times in 129 Posts
I don't mind racks and fenders, they are very useful ..but I hate kickstands, they are useless I would never put one on any of my bikes. You don't need a kickstand, you can lay your bike on the ground or lean it against something.
wolfchild is offline  
Likes For wolfchild:
Old 11-12-19, 05:35 PM
  #25  
macbobster
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Posts: 33
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by wolfchild View Post
I don't mind racks and fenders, they are very useful ..but I hate kickstands, they are useless I would never put one on any of my bikes. You don't need a kickstand, you can lay your bike on the ground or lean it against something.
Yeh, I know. It kinda goes good with my dork disc and stem shifters though.

Last edited by macbobster; 11-12-19 at 05:44 PM.
macbobster is offline  
Likes For macbobster:

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.