Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

NBD - Too Much Trek - Domane SLR UDi2 - ICON "Molten Marble"

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

NBD - Too Much Trek - Domane SLR UDi2 - ICON "Molten Marble"

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-19, 01:37 PM
SkepticalOne

Bikes: 2021 Trek Emonda SL7, 2019 Trek Checkpoint ALR4, 2020 Trek P1 Domane SLR7

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked 80 Times in 43 Posts
Originally Posted by CarloM
The top tube angle for those two bikes seem to be significantly different (I'm assuming they're both 2020 Domanes) unless it's just a trick of the photo angle. Am I to understand that you can choose various angles at the point of purchase based on the fit?
Your eyes do not deceive you. You see two effects: First, my bike (black H1.5 fit) has a ~4cm shorter head tube. This H1.5 or "ProEndurance" fit is only available as an option with Project One. Secondly, I'd bet the red bike above is a 50cm-52cm frame which further exaggerates the slope from rear to front associated with the H2 fit. My H1.5 shown above is a size 56cm.

Below is my new 2020 and my 2016 Domane SLR with traditional fit in Size 56 for comparison:

Last edited by SkepticalOne; 11-12-19 at 07:19 PM.
Old 11-12-19, 01:44 PM
SkepticalOne

Bikes: 2021 Trek Emonda SL7, 2019 Trek Checkpoint ALR4, 2020 Trek P1 Domane SLR7

IIRC correctly I believe the top tube adjustable Isospeed is only on the SLR models so that would possibly explain the differences in the 2020 models.

Both red and black 2020 Domanes shown in this thread are SLR7 models. One is H1.5 fit and the other H2
Old 11-12-19, 03:58 PM
GAtkins

Bikes: 2021 Trek Domane SLR7 Project One 62cm- 2010 Specialized Allez 61cm

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked 88 Times in 44 Posts
How can I tell the difference between 1.5 and 2.0 just by looking? Thanks.

Glenn
Old 11-12-19, 04:43 PM
CarloM

Bikes: 2019 TCR Advanced SL1 Disc; 2018 Cervelo S3 SRAM eTap HRD; 2020 Giant Revolt Advanced

Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked 128 Times in 100 Posts
Here's are two 2019 Emondas, one in H1 and one in H2. If you open up the links in two different browser tabs and then cycle between them, the difference between H1 and H2 are pretty obvious (longer headtube which results in a greater slope to the top tube. I would assume H1.5 is in between the two.

H1
https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/b...meset/p/24062/

H2
https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/b...meset/p/24063/
Likes For CarloM:
Old 11-12-19, 04:44 PM
SkepticalOne

Originally Posted by GAtkins
How can I tell the difference between 1.5 and 2.0 just by looking? Thanks.

Glenn
H1.5 is only available special order through Project One. The only visible indication is a slightly more abrupt inflection where the seat stays meet the top-tube and the more horizontal top-tube. Head-tube is 4cm shorter.
Likes For SkepticalOne:
Old 11-12-19, 05:07 PM
N00b_Cyclist
Destroyer of Worlds

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR "Molten Marble"

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked 73 Times in 42 Posts
Sorry for being absent from my own thread haha. Been super busy. That said, Skeptical is 100% right. My Domane is a 2020 SLR7 Project One like his, but because of size, it takes on a slightly more pronounced slope (previously known as a female configuration). I'm a small dude, can't really get away from that with Trek's new "format" of doing bikes the same for all, based solely on size and not gender. Most of the difference in slope is due to the H1.5 ProEndurance configuration that Skeptical got. Trek just confirmed that in chat with me. So yea, I chose H2, which is the standard Endurance configuration. This is what contributes to the more slanted top tube, as CarloM stated above. I do like the look of Skeptical's bike with regards to less slope, but I have to ride what's right for my body.

Last edited by N00b_Cyclist; 11-12-19 at 05:16 PM.
Likes For N00b_Cyclist:
Old 11-12-19, 05:19 PM
CarloM

Bikes: 2019 TCR Advanced SL1 Disc; 2018 Cervelo S3 SRAM eTap HRD; 2020 Giant Revolt Advanced

Well, it's not like it's a step-through frame to accommodate a dress!

If it's any consolation, I never thought it was a woman's frame. I just thought it was interesting that for apparently the same year and model, the angle was so different. My Giant TCR (small) has quite a slope on the top tube, but it's clearly not a women's model because they have the "Liz" brand line for women's bikes.

And yes, before someone asks, I now have the matching Dura-Ace rotor in the rear wheel. I was just waiting for the 140mm to ship because it was on back order at the time the picture was taken.
Likes For CarloM:
Old 11-12-19, 05:23 PM
N00b_Cyclist
Destroyer of Worlds

Well, it's not like it's a step-through frame to accommodate a dress!

If it's any consolation, I never thought it was a woman's frame. I just thought it was interesting that for apparently the same year and model, the angle was so different. My Giant TCR (small) has quite a slope on the top tube, but it's clearly not a women's model because they have the "Liz" brand line for women's bikes.
Yea, that's kind of what I'm getting at. People are so used to Trek having that pronounced slant for its women's line...because that's what Trek did for the last while. But, it might help with people who would want to steal my bike. If they think it's for a girl, they'll be like NAH!

And yes, before someone asks, I now have the matching Dura-Ace rotor in the rear wheel. I was just waiting for the 140mm to ship because it was on back order at the time the picture was taken.
I was going to say...you need to do something about that. Actually, I didn't even notice until I read your comment haha.
Old 11-12-19, 05:30 PM
CarloM

Oh I noticed. Lol. I obsessively tracked the UPS info until it arrived. Bug the crap out of me.

I'm not a big guy (5'7" 145lbs 30" inseam) so to be honest, when I was considering the Madone, the "women's" model 52 actually appealed to me more than the men's model 52. 49s were too small and that's the next size down IIRC. The slightly more sloping top tube resulted in a shorter reach, and the women's model had I believe slightly narrower handlebars which again, I'm not big, so I find 40cm handlebars to be the upper end of the width I'm comfortable riding with, but I think I would prefer 38cm. Unfortunately all of my bikes came with 40cm bars (and costly carbon fiber ones at that), so I'm letting my finances recharge right now, but I may decide to try a 38cm bar in the future.
Old 11-12-19, 06:36 PM
Rogus

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Mine is just the stock color without going Project One direction. Didn't care enough about color scheme to want to spend the extra money. It's a 58.
Likes For Rogus:
Old 11-12-19, 06:40 PM
N00b_Cyclist
Destroyer of Worlds

Originally Posted by Rogus
Mine is just the stock color without going Project One direction. Didn't care enough about color scheme to want to spend the extra money. It's a 58.
Yup, it's all about what you're willing to spend or what you want. Trek was doing a promotion and giving a pretty nice discount on the premium colors, and my LBS also was doing a store credit, so it worked out nicely. That's why I went with the ICON scheme. I don't think I could have stomached it at full price.
Old 11-12-19, 06:40 PM
CarloM

That's a nice looking stock paint job!
Old 11-12-19, 07:01 PM
Rogus

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
This pic shows the fade better. I didn't realize it darken that much, but was very happy to find it did so when it arrived. Happy with how it looks. A bit harder to keep it looking clean compared to my matte black Defy as the dust really stands out on black gloss paint.

Likes For Rogus:
Old 11-12-19, 08:25 PM
N00b_Cyclist
Destroyer of Worlds

That is the one thing I will say about the molten marble color. While I will always want to keep it looking SHINY, it really hides dust and such pretty well. And every angle and light difference seems to change the way the paint looks. The depth is really what sold me on it, how it sort of changes depending on how you look at it. But alas, what I am REALLY enjoying about the bike other than the color, is the Ultegra Di2. Epic just doesn't do it justice. Love this configuration, and the Assioma Duo pedals just work. Loving them with the Keo cleats. Just really having a blast with this thing, looking forward to many moons of riding.
Likes For N00b_Cyclist:
Old 11-13-19, 03:05 PM
rower2cyclist

Bikes: Giant TCR Advanced Pro 0 Disc

Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 35 Posts
Originally Posted by SkepticalOne
Your eyes do not deceive you. You see two effects: First, my bike (black H1.5 fit) has a ~4cm shorter head tube. This H1.5 or "ProEndurance" fit is only available as an option with Project One. Secondly, I'd bet the red bike above is a 50cm-52cm frame which further exaggerates the slope from rear to front associated with the H2 fit. My H1.5 shown above is a size 56cm.

Below is my new 2020 and my 2016 Domane SLR with traditional fit in Size 56 for comparison:

Jewell Hollow Overlook! Just noticed it. Maybe one day I'll see you riding in Skyline on your shiny bike my brother!
Old 11-19-19, 03:32 AM
Scania123

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
A slightly different silhouette as you can see with the H1.5 fit. Still dialing-in the drop before chopping the steerer.
Your build is absolutely brilliant. How long did you have to wait for your H1.5 Domane? I'm thinking about going a bit crazy in Project One as well. Might go for the Aeolus 5 TLR instead of the stock wheels. Are you disappointed in the Bontrager wheels or is there any specific reason why you changed the wheels?
Likes For Scania123:
Old 11-20-19, 05:35 AM
SkepticalOne

Originally Posted by Scania123
Your build is absolutely brilliant. How long did you have to wait for your H1.5 Domane? I'm thinking about going a bit crazy in Project One as well. Might go for the Aeolus 5 TLR instead of the stock wheels. Are you disappointed in the Bontrager wheels or is there any specific reason why you changed the wheels?
Thank you for the kind words

The Bontrager Aeolus Pro 3V wheels are absolutely perfect! I absolutely love them, but as you can see, I have some very precious wheels already and I haven't decided what to do with the 3Vs just yet. When I ordered the bike, I chose them because they are the most versatile of all Bontragers available. While I prefer the look of the XXX Aeolus 6, they are too narrow in my opinion. The 3Vs are considerably wider, proving a better option for 28cc and up.

For the meantime, the 3Vs are on my 'old' Domane which sits on the trainer

Good luck with your decisions!
Old 11-20-19, 05:36 AM
SkepticalOne

Originally Posted by rower2cyclist
Jewell Hollow Overlook! Just noticed it. Maybe one day I'll see you riding in Skyline on your shiny bike my brother!
Looking forward to getting back to that view soon
Old 11-20-19, 11:54 AM
CarloM

Thank you for the kind words

The Bontrager Aeolus Pro 3V wheels are absolutely perfect! I absolutely love them, but as you can see, I have some very precious wheels already and I haven't decided what to do with the 3Vs just yet. When I ordered the bike, I chose them because they are the most versatile of all Bontragers available. While I prefer the look of the XXX Aeolus 6, they are too narrow in my opinion. The 3Vs are considerably wider, proving a better option for 28cc and up.

For the meantime, the 3Vs are on my 'old' Domane which sits on the trainer

Good luck with your decisions!
The Aeolus Pro 3V hubs also have a pretty high number of engagement points. They sound closer to my DT Swiss 240S that are on my ENVEs which I recently upgraded to 54 tooth ratchet than they do my Pro 3 hubs which sound like a standard 3 pawl hub.

ENVEs are awesome wheels, but I think for the about half the price the 3Vs are hard to beat with regards to performance-for-value. Plus you have Bontrager/Trek's warranty and support should anything go wrong.
Old 11-20-19, 01:37 PM
swag72

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 4 Posts
I opted for the Aeolus XXX 4 wheels on my Domane. I wanted 28's and not 32's and the XXX 4 were getting good reviews.
Old 11-21-19, 07:28 AM
keno999

Bikes: 2020 Trek Domane SL5 / Specialized Sirrus

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by N00b_Cyclist
So I had a post already drafted in the "What bike do you have" thread, and just went to finally submit the post with pictures today...and realized it was "closed for cleanup". So I'll just post a basic write-up here, and if the mods want to move it that's fine. If you look closely at the first picture, you can just see the snowy peak of Mt. Fuji towards the top center. I'm blessed with some pretty epic views where I live, despite it being a bit hazy today. Right, on to the bike...

2020 Trek Domane SLR7, with Ultegra Di2, and the Project ONE ICON "Molten Marble" paint scheme. - I added some Assioma DUO power meter pedals, but that's about it. It's a 52cm frame, and I might raise the seat a little more, though the shop did do a proper fit with my new shoes/cleats/pedals. I took it out for a very short ride...and it's absolutely amazing. Feels light and snappy compared to my Checkpoint, and it moves. Of course, a lot of you have proper lightweight race bikes that would make this feel like a boat, but to me, it feels like a missile. I have the IsoSpeed locked out as tight as it can go, so I feel the road a lot more, and I love that. I attacked a short .3 km hill climb segment on a base near me, and beat my previous best time by 6 seconds on my first go. 58s to 52s...which is insane in my mind. This is also taking into consideration that my Checkpoint was flat pedal, so this was my first time actually clipping in at all, let alone trying to go fast while clipped in. Bottom line, that was really neat to see, and I can't wait for my first real ride (once I get to feeling a bit better). Hope you all are having a wonderful fall weekend, and to all the prior soldiers, sailors, airmen, and marines...thank you for your service! Hooah!

Just noticed the MISSION FIRST lettering. I spent my whole career with that as a guiding principle for the organizations I worked for. Thanks.
Likes For keno999:
Old 11-21-19, 10:03 AM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2134 Post(s)
Liked 1,643 Times in 825 Posts
OP, what brakes are you running?
Old 11-21-19, 10:06 AM
CarloM

Originally Posted by Paul Barnard
OP, what brakes are you running?
Those look like Ultegra rotors as part of a complete Ultegra drivetrain. Very sleek looking!
Likes For CarloM:
Old 11-21-19, 10:11 AM
jadocs

Bikes: Ti, Mn Cr Ni Mo Nb, Al, C

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 942 Post(s)
Liked 526 Times in 349 Posts
Beautiful bike OP! You got it right when you said you have to go with what fits. Having said that please don't raise your saddle if you're doing it just for looks. What matters is your position being optimized.
Likes For jadocs:
Old 11-21-19, 11:47 AM
CarloM

Originally Posted by jadocs
Beautiful bike OP! You got it right when you said you have to go with what fits. Having said that please don't raise your saddle if you're doing it just for looks. What matters is your position being optimized.
+1 on fit and optimized position. A few weeks ago I matched my saddle position (with relation to my crank spindle) on my S3 to my TCR (which was pro-fit to me). That involved moving the saddle forward about1cm. But what a difference! Not just in comfort, but whereas I had sort of plateau'd according to Strava (rarely setting PRs or 2nd/3rd medals on segments), the next dozen rides or so suddenly saw the return of those achievements in a significant way!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.