Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

TRP-29 160 Rotor Service Limit?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-19, 09:46 PM
Tony_G
Mostly Harmless

Bikes: 2018 Cannondale Synapse AL 105 SE, 2017 Giant Roam 1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts

I have a bike that is equipped with TRP-29 160mm cable disc brakes. This exact rotor here:

https://trpcycling.com/product/trp-29-slotted-rotor/

What is the wear limit (thickness) for this rotor?

Last edited by Tony_G; 11-17-19 at 09:48 PM. Reason: strange copy paste error
Old 11-17-19, 10:39 PM
jimc101

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 453 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 87 Posts
Have you tried contacting them? https://trpcycling.com/contact/

If in doubt, just replace, rotors are not exactly the most expensive part on a bike
Old 11-17-19, 11:00 PM
Tony_G
Mostly Harmless

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Thanks for your reply. I have not contacted them. I thought some mechanic here might know.

About cost, last week I paid $31.50 for a pair on e-bay, from the cheapest reputable vendor. I'd like to milk out the last safe miles from the OEMs before replacing them. The pair that is on the bike is down to around 1.5mm, and the black paint on the cleaning grooves is wearing off.
Old 11-18-19, 07:30 AM
dsbrantjr

Bikes: '93 Trek 750, '92 Schwinn Crisscross, '93 Mongoose Alta

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 1,092 Times in 723 Posts
The last place I'd cheap out on my bike is brakes.
Old 11-18-19, 10:50 AM
Spoonrobot 

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 1216 Post(s)
Liked 183 Times in 116 Posts
Regardless of the spec if you're wearing the clearing groove, you're on the last miles. 1.5mm is the Shimano standard and reasonable for the same style rotors from other manufacturers.

How are you measuring the thickness? A normal caliper often will overstate the thickness as rotors can wear concave or only have pad engagement below the edge of the rotor. I use a dental caliper (or outside diameter caliper) to measure a few spots around the rotor and retire once the lowest spot falls below my preference.

If you do hear back from TRP please share, I don't recall ever seeing their recommendation and a cursory look at their site didn't show anything obvious.
Old 11-18-19, 11:04 AM
Marcus_Ti
FLIR Kitten to 0.05C

Bikes: Roadie: Seven Axiom Race Ti w/Chorus 11s. CX/Adventure: Carver Gravel Grinder w/ Di2

Quoted: 2349 Post(s)
Liked 406 Times in 254 Posts
TRP seems to think no one will ride their rotors enough to need to replace them....none of their documentation states a wear-limit, as far as I can tell. Ask them. They aren't alone, I remember reading a Zinn column where even he couldn't find SRAM/Avid documentation on wear-limit for those rotors.

Generally wear limits vary from 1.4mm (Hope) to 1.8mm (Some Magura) depending on the OEM. Generally....the wear limit is a loss of 0.2mm (Hayes, Magura, Hope) to 0.3mm (Shimano) from as-new thickness.
Old 11-18-19, 12:25 PM
dsbrantjr

Originally Posted by Spoonrobot
...I use a dental caliper (or outside diameter caliper) to measure a few spots around the rotor and retire once the lowest spot falls below my preference.
I use an Iwanson gauge, they are also good for measuring rim brake track thicknesses. Like this: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Crown-Gauge...cAAOSwoetdo-kn
There are also little ball adapters which fit onto a micrometer to measure past a ridge: https://www.ebay.com/itm/STARRETT-MI...wAAOSw8V9d0D8C
Old 11-18-19, 08:15 PM
Tony_G
Mostly Harmless

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Spoonrobot
Regardless of the spec if you're wearing the clearing groove, you're on the last miles. 1.5mm is the Shimano standard and reasonable for the same style rotors from other manufacturers.

How are you measuring the thickness? A normal caliper often will overstate the thickness as rotors can wear concave or only have pad engagement below the edge of the rotor. I use a dental caliper (or outside diameter caliper) to measure a few spots around the rotor and retire once the lowest spot falls below my preference.

If you do hear back from TRP please share, I don't recall ever seeing their recommendation and a cursory look at their site didn't show anything obvious.
I’m measuring with a cheap $10 caliper purchased this week from Harbor Freight. I have checked the trashy tool against some quality feeler gauges. It measures a .88 mm feeler gauge as .93 on average.

Measuring the rotor I am taking care to avoid the outer edge, which just as you say, has outside tips that have no wear.

Today I emailed TRP. If they respond, I will post the info here.
Old 11-18-19, 11:37 PM
AndreyT

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 244 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 30 Posts
Originally Posted by dsbrantjr
The last place I'd cheap out on my bike is brakes.
Does that mean you replace your rotors after every ride?

If you do, then good for you, but I think everyone will agree that this does not make a shred of sense. And is actually a performance-degrading practice.

If you don't, then where do you draw the line? Where exactly does that "cheap out" begin? And that is the question the OP is asking.
Old 11-19-19, 05:34 AM
dsbrantjr

Originally Posted by AndreyT
Does that mean you replace your rotors after every ride?

If you do, then good for you, but I think everyone will agree that this does not make a shred of sense. And is actually a performance-degrading practice.

If you don't, then where do you draw the line? Where exactly does that "cheap out" begin? And that is the question the OP is asking.
I replace brake components when I get to the point where I am asking myself questions like the original one. I'd rather toss some cheap consumables early than press my luck, especially things like tires and brakes.
Old 11-19-19, 07:57 PM
Tony_G
Mostly Harmless

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Tony_G
I have a bike that is equipped with TRP-29 160mm cable disc brakes. This exact rotor here:

https://trpcycling.com/product/trp-29-slotted-rotor/

What is the wear limit (thickness) for this rotor?
Update:

TRP replied to my email. Here is the spec:

"The wear limit or minimum thickness for the TRP 160-29 is 1.5mm."