Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Bar/Stem Combo

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Bar/Stem Combo

Old 11-22-19, 07:44 AM
Rexhardy1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bar/Stem Combo

Good morning. I am considering changing my flat bar on a Trek 930 to trekking bars. Currently everything is stock and I have a 1996 model with suspension. Hopefully at some point in the future this will be changed to rigid. Anyway my questions for today center around the bars. What I would like to do is continue to use the grip shifts and brake setup as they work fine for my purposes. My current stem is 120mm with a 10 degree rise, at least I believe it is. My hope is to raise the bars some for a more upright position. With that in mind, would it make sense to use a steeper degree stem to raise the bars some. As I understand trekking bars, the part closet to me, will be closer than the current bars which I don’t think will be an issue.

So to sum up my questions, would it be smart to go ahead and order a new stem at the same time? And if so, which stem configuration would be a good starting point?

Thank you.

Rex
Old 11-22-19, 08:25 AM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
Stem Comparison Tool.
Old 11-22-19, 08:55 AM
Rexhardy1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
DrIsotope,

Thanks. I have used this some over the past few days looking at different stem options. Would the most rational approve at this time be to look for a combination that would provide a rise in height, which keeping the reach as close to what it is now? Looking at the geometry of the trekking bars I am thinking it may be. If I am seeing things right, the rear portion of the bars would be closer to me while the forward portion would be similar to where the flat bars currently sit.
Old 11-22-19, 02:29 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4194 Post(s)
Liked 3,837 Times in 2,295 Posts
Does the current stem have a removeable face plate or is it a single bolt/"wrap around" design. Running stems with removeable faceplates sure makes any future stem exchange far easier to do. And now is the time to make the move from the older single bolt type (if that's what you have), independent of the fit aspects. Andy
Old 11-22-19, 02:42 PM
SlowJoeCrow

Bikes: Redline Conquest Pro, Kona Cinder Cone, Trek Fuel EX8(RIP) Pivot Mach 5 frankenbike

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
Is there any way you can mock up trekking bars on your current flat bars to get a feel for where they would sit? You could use wire or cardboard to make backwards bar ends. Also check the diameter of your current bars to make sure your brake levers and shifters fit.
There are all sorts of stems out there, and used ones are a bargain. My tandem had trekking bars in place of the orginal flat bars and a very long high angle stem with Specialized branding.
Old 11-22-19, 05:32 PM
Rexhardy1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Andrew,

Thankfully the stem does have the removable faceplate. If it didn’t my next one surely would have.

SlowJoeCrow,

I appreciate the suggestion. I will try that out, and I am not at all opposed to used. Actually just picked up a used saddle this evening for the bike. Trying to keep the cost down on this endeavor.
Old 11-22-19, 05:44 PM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds. 2019 Giant Explore E+3

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1787 Post(s)
Liked 1,259 Times in 868 Posts
Originally Posted by Rexhardy1
DrIsotope,

Thanks. I have used this some over the past few days looking at different stem options. Would the most rational approve at this time be to look for a combination that would provide a rise in height, which keeping the reach as close to what it is now? Looking at the geometry of the trekking bars I am thinking it may be. If I am seeing things right, the rear portion of the bars would be closer to me while the forward portion would be similar to where the flat bars currently sit.
I would buy the bars & mount them.
THEN you have a reference point to decide what you need in a stem.
Likes For Bill Kapaun:
Old 11-23-19, 07:43 AM
Rexhardy1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Bill Kapaun
I would buy the bars & mount them.
THEN you have a reference point to decide what you need in a stem.
Bill,

Thanks for the suggestion. I guess I was missing the forest for the trees on this one.
Old 11-23-19, 05:07 PM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2735 Post(s)
Liked 969 Times in 792 Posts
I strongly suggest also getting the bars and playing with them with the orig bars on to get a better ball park idea.

Also, around here, the only trekking bars avail are NON oversize, so read up on this so you understand what I mean and therefore what stems you will need.

the best route is to be in a good bike store where they will have old stems kicking around, ie 25.4 vs the oversize 31.8 that your existing flat bars may be--mind you, its an older bike so its prob standard size, 25.4

dont know where you live, but if there is a store that sells used bikes, they will have used stems that may work for you.

when I went this route with my commuter bike, I bought the butterfly trekking bars new, maybe 25 bucks, and then ended up using the orig stem and its ok length wise, but it is an old style, so no face plate, so once everything was on, shifters, brake levers, bar tape--I have little inclination to change the stem that is almost right to one slightly longer and "more right". Its my commuter so its ok.