Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Official Trek DS owners thread

Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Official Trek DS owners thread

Old 08-26-19, 08:52 AM
hokiefyd 

Bikes: More bikes than riders

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1443 Post(s)
Liked 759 Times in 568 Posts
If you're buying a different wheelset, I would recommend 584mm wheels (also called 27.5", or 650B). You'd probably be able to run up to a 2.3" tire on those wheels, which would set the bike up a lot better for use off road.

Your stock wheels probably have an inner width of 17-20mm, somewhere in there.
Old 08-30-19, 06:25 PM
LeoGrand

Bikes: 2020 Trek Verve 2 XL, 2020 Trek Dual Sport 4 XL

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 19 Posts
Old 09-04-19, 04:31 PM
ceelint
^that guy^

Bikes: '17 Wabi Classic, '17 Trek DS3, '12 S-Works Tarmac SL

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked 137 Times in 51 Posts
Anyone converted their DS to rigid carbon fork? I was thinking about doing it, curious how it looks
Likes For ceelint:
Old 09-15-19, 07:52 PM
qrtzoj

Bikes: Dual Sport 3

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
New DS3'er

Hi Folks! Just thought I'd introduce myself, new 65yr old rider Mark here from Lancaster, Pa. Haven't had a bike since my gold Schwinn 10-speed in high school. I used to ride my neighbor's no-name bike around town a few years ago and this year I rented something generic to ride on the Cape Cod Rail Trail. I enjoyed it so much that something clicked during that ride and I just had to get back into it so this week I'm taking delivery on a 2019 model DS3 in that funky volt green color. Got what I think is a decent deal on it for $688 from my local Trek company store which is only 3 miles from the house. I was all ready to settle for a DS2 but then he dug up this DS3 from another store for me. It's my understanding that it has a smoother gear change due to the higher-quality Shimano drivetrain. I plan to take full advantage of all the great rail trails and bike paths in my area and eventually take some overnight trips to other worthy and picturesque places so if anyone has any suggestions or words of wisdom feel free. Gonna take it slow at first, staying on mostly flat paths and then working up to where the smoother shifting and 27-speed choices will come in handy, I assume.
Likes For qrtzoj:
Old 09-23-19, 04:10 PM
ed h

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by hokiefyd
If you're buying a different wheelset, I would recommend 584mm wheels (also called 27.5", or 650B). You'd probably be able to run up to a 2.3" tire on those wheels, which would set the bike up a lot better for use off road.

Your stock wheels probably have an inner width of 17-20mm, somewhere in there.
Just curious, has anyone out there ever tried a set of 27.5 wheels on a Trek DS ? Still looking for a second set of wheels to run a little wider tire for off road.

On a different note, just recently had the bike store I purchased my DS-3 from replace the stock FSA crankset with a Shimano M590 Hollowtech crankset. Between the Rockshox Paragon fork and now the crankset its lightened the bike by almost three pounds.
Old 09-24-19, 06:42 AM
308jerry

Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 88 Posts
At one point I was looking at 27.5s on my DS 8.4. A friend of mine had a Giant MTB with them, so I swapped them on to mine. Fit nicely, they were 2.1 x 27.5.. I ended up not buying the 27.5s and bought wider schwalbes for my existing rims. But I yes they do fit.....
Old 09-24-19, 07:54 AM
Keedo

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What tires would anyone recommend for a 8.3 DS? More trails than road.
Old 09-24-19, 08:25 AM
hokiefyd 

What is your definition of "trails"? Gravel/railroad type trails? Light single track? Rocky, rooty, muddy?

I like the Schwalbe Hurricane. It has a smooth center section for good rolling on the road, but some knobs on the side for traction on looser surfaces. If you air them down when you're off-road, they do really well. They're available in a 40-622 (similar to your original 38-622 tires), and are also available in a 50-622 (also marked 29x2"). I have the 50mm versions on my Roam, and they do really well. They should fit your DS no problem.

If you want more aggressive than that, try the WTB Nanos. Those, too, are available in a few sizes that will fit your DS, including a 40-622 and a 52-622 (also marked 29x2.1"). Depending on what model year your DS is, these may have plenty of room or may be a very tight fit. The newer DS frames have more clearance than the older ones do. My dad has a 2015 8.4 DS and the 52mm Nanos just BARELY fit. The 40mm versions would be a safer bet.

Another option, if you want to try a larger tire, is the Vittoria Mezcal. They're available in a 52mm / 2.1" size. Again, these might be tight, but would give you good tire volume.

I have all three of these tires, in various sizes, on a few of my bikes. I'd say the Schwalbe Hurricanes are the smoothest, and softest/most compliant, followed closely by the Vittoria Mezcals. The Mezcals have very good grip off road; I have a lot of confidence on those. The WTB Nanos are a little rougher on road, though also very nice off road. I don't have as much trail time on these as I do the Mezcals, but they seem very nice, and are highly acclaimed.
Old 09-26-19, 06:52 AM
308jerry

I agree with the above post from hokey. The Schwalbe Hurricanes 29x2.0 fit nicely on the DS. I've been using them all summer and will buy them again when the time comes..
Old 09-29-19, 06:42 AM
qrtzoj

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
I'm hooked now!

So I ended up getting a 2020 model DS3 instead. Lancaster, Pa Trek had found a 2019 for me from a Tennesee store so they arranged to have it packed and shipped here but when it arrived they saw that the top tube had a nasty scratch on it. In the end they offered me an identical 2020 model in that Shrek green color for the same price and threw in a kickstand. I've been out twice on it so far on the NW Lancaster River Trail, which is a real nice one although I've found that you need to get out early before noon at least to beat the casual rider and walker crowd. At northern of the trail in Bainbridge there's a funky little bar and grill called The Bainbridge Inn across from Koser Park which, judging by their BLT melt, actually has decent food.

This bike is smooth and I love the way it handles, shifts, and brakes. The only improvement I need is to add a cushioned seat cover for my skinny butt, a light or two and a pouch of some sort. If I remove the wheel it fits my Sonata with the seats down but I'll probably give in and buy a trunk rack at some point. I'd post a pic but there's some stupid rule about having to have 10 posts first.

drb372, if you see me on the trail say hello!
Likes For qrtzoj:
Old 09-29-19, 07:20 AM
drb372

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by qrtzoj
drb372, if you see me on the trail say hello!
Will do. I'm sure I'll recognize you on that green DS3. Regarding lights I highly recommend the Cygolite Metro 700 and Hotshot 100 combo on Amazon. I've been using them for a couple of months.
Old 09-30-19, 12:53 PM
greyfox47

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a Trek DS 8.5 Disc, purchased in June of 2014. I'm about 5'11" and 190 lbs. With less than 3500 miles on the bike, rear derailleur skipping and lagging resulted in the associated cable and housing, rear derailleur, and cassette to be replaced. I'm on my third chain, which I clean/degrease plus lube regularly along with the rest of the groupset. About 250 miles ago, I had to replace the bottom bracket bearings. 60% of my riding with this bike is on groomed, small pebble wide trails with the remaining 40% on asphalt, concrete, and gravel roads. Is this maintenance consistent with other DS riders? Seems to me that I should have gotten more than 3500 miles out of these components (except for the chains, of course)?
Old 10-01-19, 10:28 AM
coffeesnob

Bikes: Trek DS 8.3 - cannondale M500

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 2634 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 82 Posts
I think the ones that came on mine work fine for both although I do more paved than trails
Old 10-06-19, 08:05 PM
gazz

Bikes: '19 Trek DS3

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts
Hi all. I recently picked up a barely-used 2019 DS3. First time on a bike in 20 years and loving it. Last bike was an old Repco MTB, so this one rides like a dream in comparison! Everything still stock - will upload photo once I hit 10 posts
Old 10-09-19, 06:42 PM
gazz

Bikes: '19 Trek DS3

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts
As promised - so far the 38c tyres a holding up well on the loose stuff so might not change them out for a while:

Last edited by gazz; 10-12-19 at 02:44 AM.
Old 11-13-19, 08:02 AM
slowrey

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hello from Austin! I just ordered last Saturday a 2020 Trek DS3 and eagerly awaiting it's arrival. It's cold here so not sure how much bike riding I'll do this week however can't wait til it warms up a bit.
Old 11-14-19, 05:45 AM
qrtzoj

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
It's starting to get a bit cold around here and I'm learning through trial and error what works for keeping warm while on the NW Lancaster River trail. Have also been on The Conewago Recreation Trail a couple times. Any suggestions for keeping warm on a budget?
Old 11-14-19, 06:12 AM
hokiefyd 

Any suggestions for keeping warm on a budget?
Generally, avoiding bike-specific kit is a good start (that stuff gets expensive quickly). I use a $9 pair of gloves I got at Walmart. Not the big thick gloves for shoveling snow, but more like thick driving gloves. They work great for keeping my hands warm on the bike. Long socks and basic aerobic/athletic/jogging pants work well for legs, and are also available inexpensively at most discount stores. Dress in shirt layers (I wear a t-shirt under a long-sleeved shirt); you likely have these types of clothes already, so this shouldn't be a great expense. For a helmet, try finding one that has a built-in visor, like this one. Keeping the wind out of your eyes makes a big difference.

There is certainly a ton of choice out there if you look at stuff specifically for cycling (hand warmers, arm warmers, leg warmers, heated clothes, etc.). For the temperatures that I ride in, I don't get the return on investment of high-dollar kit. If it's under about 45*F outside, I stay indoors and ride the trainer.
Old 11-14-19, 09:04 AM
travbikeman

Bikes: State 4130 Custom, Giant Trance 29

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 422 Post(s)
Liked 182 Times in 123 Posts
It's starting to get a bit cold around here and I'm learning through trial and error what works for keeping warm while on the NW Lancaster River trail. Have also been on The Conewago Recreation Trail a couple times. Any suggestions for keeping warm on a budget?
I had found these to be very nice when riding in sub freezing weather!

https://www.aerotechdesigns.com/netiptoeco.html

People often remember the hats, gloves, facemask, arms and coats, but forget the feet!
Old 11-23-19, 06:05 PM
sppf121

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
How do you like it. I am leaning towards buying a DS4 . I like the hybrid style and this teams like an awesome bike. Will be using it for fitness to cut down on the number of days I am running for exercise. After test driving this DS and the FX 4 in hopes of making a decision I found that they seemed very similar to me except the FX was lighter.

Would you buy it again?

Last edited by sppf121; 11-23-19 at 06:08 PM. Reason: Clarification
Old 11-29-19, 10:44 PM
Marcusmeditates

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi from new DS rider

Posting to follow. Hi everyone, starting to bike after 20 years. Picked up a Trek DS2 today from a local bike shop. Excited to ride it tomorrow if there is no rain.
Old 11-30-19, 09:27 AM
drb372

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by sppf121
How do you like it. I am leaning towards buying a DS4 . I like the hybrid style and this teams like an awesome bike. Will be using it for fitness to cut down on the number of days I am running for exercise. After test driving this DS and the FX 4 in hopes of making a decision I found that they seemed very similar to me except the FX was lighter.

Would you buy it again?
My wife and I bought DS3's last June. I often use the bike for trips to the local farm market so the few extra pounds the suspension adds means nothing to me. While most miles are with the fork locked out it really comes in handy on those trails with roots and rocks. To answer your question I would absolutely buy this bike again.
Old 12-01-19, 07:02 PM
fry45

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Picked up a 2012 DS 8.2 today that needs a new brake cable and housing. Didn't really need it but was $80 so yeah just have to wait until March to ride.
Old 12-02-19, 01:36 AM
Byrnem31

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Marcusmeditates
Posting to follow. Hi everyone, starting to bike after 20 years. Picked up a Trek DS2 today from a local bike shop. Excited to ride it tomorrow if there is no rain.
bought one last year. A very well made bike, fast and easy to cycle.
Old 12-02-19, 10:19 AM
308jerry

Originally Posted by fry45
Picked up a 2012 DS 8.2 today that needs a new brake cable and housing. Didn't really need it but was $80 so yeah just have to wait until March to ride.
Nice purchase . Get the issues fixed, there's no time like right now to ride. It was 15 degrees here at home this morning, rode a little ways.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.