Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Wireless earbuds while riding?

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Old 11-29-19, 05:35 PM
one4smoke

Bikes: 2020 Specialized Roubaix Comp SC - 2016 Specialized Roubaix SL4 - 2015 Giant Roam 2 Disc

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 639 Post(s)
Liked 338 Times in 224 Posts
Originally Posted by noodle soup
but your statement doesn't help answer the question asked by the OP.
Obviously, my answer would be no earbuds while riding ...wireless or otherwise.
Old 11-29-19, 06:00 PM
noodle soup

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,882 Times in 998 Posts
Originally Posted by one4smoke
Obviously, my answer would be no earbuds while riding ...wireless or otherwise.
Apparently, you didn't read the question.

The OP asked "Does anyone use a single wireless earbud while riding, and if you do, how is the microphone performance?"
Old 11-29-19, 06:02 PM
Athens80

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by jamesdak
Yes, someone sometime took a picture of someone else riding with a pair of foam covered headphones lightly resting over their ears. And then someone edited the image so that we see it on the internet today in black and white and thus it looks old.

Not every picture in the newspaper depicts an everyday event, anyway. Some pictures are taken of usual events.

That picture was not taken 40+ years ago, assuming that 40+ means more than 40. And riding with a Walkman wasn't a common sight even 40 years ago.

It took a while for sales to take off for any use, at least outside of Japan. Perhaps the cost, in today's terms, at USD 500+, played into the initial adoption rate. After a while, like the iPod, it became popular anyway. But never popular for people riding bikes, anywhere I saw.
Old 11-29-19, 06:12 PM
bobwysiwyg

Bikes: Mongoose Selous, Trek DS

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 941 Post(s)
Liked 319 Times in 189 Posts
Originally Posted by Athens80
Yes, someone sometime took a picture of someone else riding with a pair of foam covered headphones lightly resting over their ears. And then someone edited the image so that we see it on the internet today in black and white and thus it looks old.

Not every picture in the newspaper depicts an everyday event, anyway. Some pictures are taken of usual events.

That picture was not taken 40+ years ago, assuming that 40+ means more than 40. And riding with a Walkman wasn't a common sight even 40 years ago.

It took a while for sales to take off for any use, at least outside of Japan. Perhaps the cost, in today's terms, at USD 500+, played into the initial adoption rate. After a while, like the iPod, it became popular anyway. But never popular for people riding bikes, anywhere I saw.
I would not trust any photo or video of import on the Interweb . Far too many editing tools available to manipulate them. D@mn shame, but what can we do?
Old 11-29-19, 06:29 PM
znomit
Zoom zoom zoom zoom bonk

Bikes: Giant Defy, Trek 1.7c, BMC GF02, Fuji Tahoe, Scott Sub 35, Kona Rove, Trek Verve+2

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 549 Post(s)
Liked 721 Times in 365 Posts
Can we get some expert opinions in on the age of the groupset and bell? Should take about 5 pages to clear that up I guess.
Likes For znomit:
Old 11-29-19, 06:33 PM
rubiksoval

Bikes: bikes

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 2622 Post(s)
Liked 1,429 Times in 711 Posts
In my humble opinion, a cyclist needs all his senses to be at 100% while riding. If there’s anything preventing that, even ever so slightly ...you’re really not doing all you can to be the safest possible.
I take it you never ride much over 12 mph, and certainly never in windy conditions.

Otherwise, that wind noise... DANGER!
Likes For rubiksoval:
Old 11-29-19, 06:46 PM
jamesdak 

Bikes: Paletti,Pinarello Monviso,Duell Vienna,Giordana XL Super,Lemond Maillot Juane.& custom,PDG Paramount,Fuji Opus III,Davidson Impulse,Pashley Guv'nor,Evans,Fishlips,Y-Foil,Softride, Tetra Pro, CAAD8 Optimo,

Mentioned: 154 Post(s)
Quoted: 2300 Post(s)
Liked 4,764 Times in 1,725 Posts
Originally Posted by Athens80

LOL, you might be right...or wrong. I see what appears to be non aero cable coming out of the brake levers and is that a "turkey lever" on there too. If so....the bike at least is old. I do know for a fact that as early as 1984 base policy at Ft Polk was no using headphones while running, walking, or riding on base. So.....someone must have been doing it. Just sayin'....

I for sure was using a transistor radio with an earphone in the late 70's early 80's as I drove the tractor cutting hay and such.

But seriously, just having some fun with your comment. Took maybe 2 seconds to find that picture. Wanna see more?
Old 11-29-19, 06:48 PM
jamesdak 

Bikes: Paletti,Pinarello Monviso,Duell Vienna,Giordana XL Super,Lemond Maillot Juane.& custom,PDG Paramount,Fuji Opus III,Davidson Impulse,Pashley Guv'nor,Evans,Fishlips,Y-Foil,Softride, Tetra Pro, CAAD8 Optimo,

Mentioned: 154 Post(s)
Quoted: 2300 Post(s)
Liked 4,764 Times in 1,725 Posts
Originally Posted by znomit
Can we get some expert opinions in on the age of the groupset and bell? Should take about 5 pages to clear that up I guess.
Old 11-29-19, 07:13 PM
Atlas Shrugged

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1217 Post(s)
Liked 1,281 Times in 653 Posts
In my humble opinion, a cyclist needs all his senses to be at 100% while riding. If there’s anything preventing that, even ever so slightly ...you’re really not doing all you can to be the safest possible.
I assume you have two mirrors one for each side. Varia radar to give early warning. Flashing headlight and taillight. Wear a reflective vest and a fluorescent jersey and socks. Etc.

I am still at a loss on how earbuds which let sound through or in the case of iPod Pro transparency mode actually amplify external sounds changes my risk on the roads even minimally. I guess one could get so carried away listening to the Macarena and break out into spontaneous dance moves thus causing an accident or getting mowed over from a car.
Old 11-29-19, 07:47 PM
MattTheHat 

Bikes: 2021 S-Works Turbo Creo SL, 2020 Specialized Roubaix Expert

Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Liked 3,982 Times in 1,415 Posts
Originally Posted by Chi_Z
they also do not have smartphone that distract the driver 20-30 years ago, what is your point?
My point is that cyclists were getting hit by cars long before they started riding with earphones/earbuds. If a car is going to hit you, not having earbuds isn’t going to save you. Wearing earbuds does not increase your chance of getting hit. The two are unrelated.
Old 11-29-19, 07:49 PM
MattTheHat 

Originally Posted by Chi_Z
riding with earphone is unsafe, if you have to, use a bluetooth speaker. Also god forbid if you did get into an accident with cars, the earphone could help the driver's case.
And how would it help the driver’s case? “Your honor, I didn’t intend to hit the cyclist. His earbuds made me do it.”
Old 11-29-19, 07:58 PM
bpcyclist

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 451 Post(s)
Liked 364 Times in 227 Posts
Originally Posted by MattTheHat
And how would it help the driver’s case? “Your honor, I didn’t intend to hit the cyclist. His earbuds made me do it.”
I believe there was just recently a case with a fatality where that very defense was offered.
Old 11-29-19, 08:11 PM
MattTheHat 

Originally Posted by bpcyclist
I believe there was just recently a case with a fatality where that very defense was offered.
Was it successful?
Old 11-30-19, 04:01 AM
bpcyclist

Was it successful?
Here are a couple, for whatever it's worth. We just don't seem to have a consensus on this site about this topic.

Warning on headphones as cyclist ruled to have caused own death - Sticky Bottle - Sticky Bottle
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-10-...clist/11605292
Old 11-30-19, 04:29 AM
znomit
Zoom zoom zoom zoom bonk

Bikes: Giant Defy, Trek 1.7c, BMC GF02, Fuji Tahoe, Scott Sub 35, Kona Rove, Trek Verve+2

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 549 Post(s)
Liked 721 Times in 365 Posts
Here are a couple, for whatever it's worth. We just don't seem to have a consensus on this site about this topic.

Warning on headphones as cyclist ruled to have caused own death - Sticky Bottle - Sticky Bottle
Those are interesting links. You should read them.

The first one had a defective front brake and they don't know if she was listening to music or not.
“I cannot determine if she was on her iPhone listening with earphone at the time, but if she had been, it could have caused a distraction and could have contributed to the cause of the accident.”

The second one the driver pleaded guilty
"pleaded guilty to dangerous driving causing death in the Victorian County Court sitting in Bendigo."
Old 11-30-19, 05:08 AM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts

I promised myself that I wasn’t going to reply to this perennial popcorn thread, but these two paragraphs by @velopig had some unique comments that I have posted about previously:
Originally Posted by velopig
I assume you have two mirrors one for each side. Varia radar to give early warning. Flashing headlight and taillight. Wear a reflective vest and a fluorescent jersey and socks. Etc...
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
I use both left and right rearview mirrors, in my case Take-a-Look eyeglass mounted ones. I got the idea from a cycling companion who used only a right hand mirror. The additional right hand mirror affords a pretty good rearward view, but is particularly useful:

Reasons #1...#7...

My main argument for a mirror, particularly in the urban environment is summarized by Jim’s Law of the Road: “No matter how well paved or lightly-traveled the Road, a vehicle is likely to pass you on the left as you encounter an obstacle on the right.”

One other situation where hearing is ineffective, even on rural roads, occurs when being passed by one car, and I'm never sure that another one is following the first. No problem with a mirror…
Especially in Winter with my ears completely covered.

Originally Posted by velopig
I am still at a loss on how earbuds which let sound through or in the case of iPod Pro transparency mode actually amplify external sounds changes my risk on the roads even minimally.

I guess one could get so carried away listening to the Macarena and break out into spontaneous dance moves thus causing an accident or getting mowed over from a car.
"What do you do to avoid bike boredom?"

...So the OP requests suggestions for avoiding boredom,yet @robnol disparages (with double negatives) the suggestion by @I-Like-To-Bike, of a common modality used by many on BF, risking morphing this thread into another wearsiome popcorn thread...

Admittedly in my recommendations about boredom on a bike I don’t suggest listening to audio devices, for fear a gum-chewing impaired cyclist might follow my endorsement.

Nonetheless, I have previously posted, not as a recommendation but a justification:
Originally Posted by BobbyG
I also listen to spoken word podcasts at a low volume in my curbside ear. I can hear traffic fine. On the rides I don't listen, or if I don't like the podcast and pull the earbud out I don't feel I gain any extra situational awareness.

My guess would be that picking one horn out of the Manhattan cacophony of horns, and echoes off the buildings, would be daunting in and of its self.

Whats more, I feel that when listening to spoken word podcasts in my curbside ear at a low volume, I can hear traffic better than when I'm in my car with the windows up with no music or podcasts.

However, it's been my experience that when a music clip is played, even in one ear, I start to loose my situational awareness. I think it has something to do with the way the human brain works....
Originally Posted by PaulRivers
...I feel safer wearing headphones than not, because my brain sometimes it can rely on my hearing to hear cars behind me, when the only thing that's actually affective is to actually look.

Wearing headphones makes my brain realize that I'd better look - which is far far safer than hoping a car passing me is making enough noise to hear it.

You can't rely on your ears for knowing what's behind you, you have to look.
Well said, @PaulRivers. I agree that a controllable external auditory source can help to focus on the task at hand, rather than distract.

For myself, I work at preparing reports depending on careful detailed analyses, and I always have a talk show on. It definitely focuses me, even though I don't pay much attention; it's more a background awareness.

It seems to fill in my mind in addition to the current purposeful activity so my concentration has no other place to wander.

In fact, if there is no ambient “distraction,” the silence is deafening (and I don't have to worry about a car plowing into my desk).

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 11-30-19 at 05:36 AM.
Old 11-30-19, 06:35 AM
bpcyclist

Originally Posted by znomit
Those are interesting links. You should read them.

The first one had a defective front brake and they don't know if she was listening to music or not.
“I cannot determine if she was on her iPhone listening with earphone at the time, but if she had been, it could have caused a distraction and could have contributed to the cause of the accident.”

The second one the driver pleaded guilty
"pleaded guilty to dangerous driving causing death in the Victorian County Court sitting in Bendigo."
I have read them, but thanks very much.
Old 11-30-19, 06:41 AM
MattTheHat 

Are we aware of any cases in the United States? I’m not too worried about legal precedents from the UK or Australia.
Old 11-30-19, 09:51 AM
noodle soup

I promised myself that I wasn’t going to reply to this perennial popcorn thread, but these two paragraphs by @velopig had some unique comments that I have posted about previously: Especially in Winter with my ears completely covered.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts on the topic.They are very helpful.

It's a shame that this thread has gone so off topic, but that's what happens when the A&S crowd starts preaching, and refuses to answer the OP's question."Does anyone use a single wireless earbud while riding, and if you do, how is the microphone performance?" Those cyclists that never wear a wireless earbud while riding, because they feel it's unsafe, have nothing useful to add to this thread.

I wish there was a forum just for people that can't stop preaching about bicycle safety.
Likes For noodle soup:
Old 11-30-19, 10:00 AM
spelger

Bikes: yes, i have one

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1122 Post(s)
Liked 1,170 Times in 682 Posts
Are we aware of any cases in the United States? I’m not too worried about legal precedents from the UK or Australia.
hmmm, I think getting hit by a car and killed has the same result regardless of any jurisdiction.
Old 11-30-19, 10:19 AM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
Ever wondrous is the flawed logic of the anti-headphone crowd. So if you wear headphones, you're going to get hit by a car. What about all the folks that don't wear headphones and get hit by cars? What senses were they not obeying that "allowed" it to happen?

Might as well not wear sunglasses, because they reduce the amount of incoming light and therefore compromise your vision. Drivers hit bicycles because they don't see them, they're not looking for them, or they simply don't care. Whether I'm listening to music or not has zero impact.
Old 11-30-19, 10:21 AM
MattTheHat 

Originally Posted by spelger
hmmm, I think getting hit by a car and killed has the same result regardless of any jurisdiction.
Indeed it does. And the cause has nothing to do with the cyclist wearing earbuds, does it?
Old 11-30-19, 10:23 AM
MattTheHat 

Originally Posted by DrIsotope
Ever wondrous is the flawed logic of the anti-headphone crowd. So if you wear headphones, you're going to get hit by a car. What about all the folks that don't wear headphones and get hit by cars? What senses were they not obeying that "allowed" it to happen?

Might as well not wear sunglasses, because they reduce the amount of incoming light and therefore compromise your vision. Drivers hit bicycles because they don't see them, they're not looking for them, or they simply don't care. Whether I'm listening to music or not has zero impact.
Yep, amazing, isn’t it?

Might as well not ride while the sky is blue. Might cause a collision.
Old 11-30-19, 10:27 AM
noodle soup

Originally Posted by DrIsotope
I usually wear earbuds while riding, but not the day that I was hit by a truck. Now I know why I got hit.

Thanks for clearing that up for me. I'll never ride without them again.
Likes For noodle soup:
Old 11-30-19, 10:51 AM
MattTheHat 

I just realized something. Virtually every single cyclist involved in a collision with a car was wearing clothing. The only reasonable conclusion is that riding nekked is the only safe way to ride! Makes one wonder if even sunscreen would be safe.
Likes For MattTheHat:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.