Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets
Reload this Page >

Red Lights on Front of Bike

Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

Red Lights on Front of Bike

Old 12-03-19, 10:24 AM
njkayaker

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4244 Post(s)
Liked 1,346 Times in 934 Posts
Originally Posted by noglider
I think you are misunderstanding bpcyclist. He's not saying it's a good idea. He's observing something and finding it weird and asking if anyone here thinks it's a good idea. Not surprisingly, no one here endorses the idea.
You are misunderstanding him. He seems to have no idea why it might not be a good idea.

He wondered if it might be a good idea he missed. He's wondering whether we should do that.

Originally Posted by bpcyclist
Should I have one of these? I passed two guys this morning who had red headlights of some kind on their bars. Are we supposed to be doing that?
Two expensively clad maybe fiftiesish riders with seemingly all the right gear plus the prior experience got me wondering--did I miss something recent at light safety school? Some new development in safety I totally did not get the memo on? I had no idea.
It's more than just asking about something weird that he saw three people do.

He suggested that 3 people doing it had nice bikes was some sort of support but ignored the many more people with nice bikes doing the normal thing. That's an odd analytical process.

Last edited by njkayaker; 12-03-19 at 10:40 AM.
Old 12-03-19, 10:28 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7345 Post(s)
Liked 2,452 Times in 1,430 Posts
Either of us could be wrong about what he meant. And you're sure he wasn't being sarcastic? Or just open-minded to an idea that looks bad but could be good? Or that he isn't as stupid as you seem to think he is?

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 12-03-19, 10:28 AM
mikemikes

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
no way
Old 12-03-19, 10:49 AM
njkayaker

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 4244 Post(s)
Liked 1,346 Times in 934 Posts
Either of us could be wrong about what he meant. And you're sure he wasn't being sarcastic? Or just open-minded to an idea that looks bad but could be good? Or that he isn't as stupid as you seem to think he is?
You are doing a lot of guessing here.

I'm reading the words he wrote.

If he was being sarcastic (at first), he could have later said he was being sarcastic. He could have told us he thought the idea looked bad. He could haveInstead, he talked about the people having the "right prior experience". That is, he didn't add the clarification leaving you to guess what he is thinking. He just continued with the same nonsensical stuff.

Who knows how stupid he might be! No one is talking about that (that's you guessing again).

What he wrote here doesn't make sense. That's all that I'm talking about.

Last edited by njkayaker; 12-03-19 at 10:57 AM.
Old 12-03-19, 01:59 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

It made sense to me, even though it doesn't to you. I'm sorry you're having difficulty. Try widening your imagination.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Old 12-03-19, 03:47 PM
PdalPowr

Bikes: Norco hybrid

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 287 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 19 Posts
Some of these laws need to be changed. For example, the laws that you can't use anything in addition to the legally required lights are dumb. Distraction? I don't buy it. Also, some European countries don't allow flashing lights. I'm not convinced this is a distraction. Oddly enough, I don't use the flashing mode on a headlight, but I should, because I definitely notice flashing lights before steady lights.
I use fast flashing white on the front during the day.
Slow flashing white at night. Almost no-one uses lights here.
So legal/illegal doesn't seem a factor. There are also almost no sidewalks.
No place of safety to jump onto in an emergency.
Old 12-03-19, 03:50 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Where is here, PdalPowr? Canada is big.

Cygolite headlights have a "steady flash" mode which keeps the beam on medium and makes a high-intensity flash every second or so. It provides the rider with a nice light to see by, and the flashing makes the rider visible. It's a nice idea.

Old 12-04-19, 06:44 AM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1835 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 255 Posts
Yeah, but that's not even an original slogan. We stole it from Austin. We should get our own. Keep PDX Cycling!
Austin didn't deserve it, all the weird and crazy stuff tends to happen in Houston, Dallas and occasionally San Antonio.
Old 12-28-19, 04:11 PM
drewguy

Bikes: Trek Domane 4.3

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 193 Post(s)
Liked 50 Times in 35 Posts
I saw a guy with a red light on the front and a white light on the back of his bike. I asked him why he did that, and he said he didn't know and he hadn't thought about whether it was proper or improper.
Saw red in front in DC area too -- two guys riding together (seen them a couple of times). I've been tempted to stop and tell them that the rose goes in the front only for garter belts.

As for anyone wondering why red in back should be obvious - ask them if they've ever seen a car with red headlights and white rear (brake) lights (other than for reverse).
Likes For drewguy:
Old 12-29-19, 07:56 PM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1835 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 255 Posts
If you have red lights up front, you are supposed to be the po-po. Baker and Poncharello.