Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Tandem Cycling
Reload this Page >

Double kickstands--any good?

Search
Notices
Tandem Cycling A bicycle built for two. Want to find out more about this wonderful world of tandems? Check out this forum to talk with other tandem enthusiasts. Captains and stokers welcome!

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-19, 10:07 AM
KenNC

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 114 Times in 63 Posts

I'm thinking of a Velo Orange or Pletscher double kickstand for our tandem--mostly to make parking in our garage easier. Any experience on the stability of these? Also, I've seen so many crushed chainstays on bikes from kickstand installation, and I definitely do NOT want to do that to this bike. Assume they can be tightened sufficiently without causing damage but again, any experience with this?
Old 12-02-19, 11:14 AM
bobh123

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
We have the Pletscher. It works very well. Easy to deploy - lift rear of bike (that takes some muscle with a tandem) and use foot to swing it down. The bike is quite stable, even with balanced panniers on. Recommended.
Old 12-02-19, 04:10 PM
oldacura

Bikes: 1998 Co-Motion Co-Pilot, 2015 Calfee Tetra

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 177 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
We have double-legged kickstands on our single E-Bikes (weight is not really an issue). Don't know the brand. They work great.
Old 12-02-19, 04:43 PM
Leisesturm

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2493 Post(s)
Liked 738 Times in 522 Posts
That is a Pletscher (Esge) double leg holding up the rear of our Trek T900. We use double leg stands on all our tandems except the recumbent and that is a temporary situation. Recommended.
Old 12-02-19, 09:24 PM
jethro00

Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked 39 Times in 32 Posts
We have 2 tandems, a Trek T900 with a single leg kickstand and a DaVinci Grand Junction with a double kickstand. I very much prefer the double kickstand. It is more stable. You can spin the rear tire to check for glass or other hazards, and lift the front and spin the front tire. You can remove the rear tire to change a flat since the rear tire is off the ground. If you have loaded cargo on the rear, it takes a bit of oomph to lift the rear to put the double kickstand down and to lift it up, but that is worth it for the benefits of the double kickstand.
Old 12-03-19, 06:59 AM
IPassGas

Bikes: Schwinn, Nishiki, Santana, Trek, Rodriguez

Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 69 Posts
Alternatively, consider a "Click-Stand" and something to hold the front wheel straight like "Steer-stopper".
Old 12-03-19, 09:49 AM
Philly Tandem

Bikes: Too many! Santana tandems and triplet; MTBs; touring bikes

Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 15 Posts
Love my double-leg kickstands! Unless you are trying to be ultra-light, they are well worth their weight (less than a full water bottle, likely).

Old 12-03-19, 10:41 AM
Paul J

Bikes: 1980's Spectrum 10 sp Campagnolo Centaur, 1990 Eddy Merckx 10 sp Campagnolo Centaur, Bushnell Tandem, Co-Motion Speedster Tandem

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked 102 Times in 65 Posts
We are planning an extended tour in 2021 and will be using a trailer to keep weight off the rear wheel, most likely the Burley Nomad. Does anyone know if these kick stands would interfere with the dropout attachment for the trailer?
Old 12-03-19, 12:14 PM
Leisesturm

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2493 Post(s)
Liked 738 Times in 522 Posts
Originally Posted by Paul J
We are planning an extended tour in 2021 and will be using a trailer to keep weight off the rear wheel, most likely the Burley Nomad. Does anyone know if these kick stands would interfere with the dropout attachment for the trailer?
They don't. All the double leg stands I know of mount at the Stoker bottom bracket. The trailers all mount at the rear dropout(s). [FWIW] We are not big fans of using dual-track trailers with (single track) bicycles. Yes, they usually have a higher ultimate weight capacity but, respectfully, you are doing it wrong if you are exceeding the weight limit of a Bob Yak on even an extended tour. The tandem pictured above has a BOB ready Q/R, and we shop every week pulling the Yak. Getting ready for Thanksgiving for the last 5 or more years means exceeding the rated weight limit (70lb.) by at least 40lb. The trailer has stood up to this abuse just fine but the Pletscher stand has a bit of a limp. There are other double leg stands (cheaper too) that are better able to deal with 120lb. trailer loads. None are as elegant as the Pletscher though. Even the lowly Trek wheels are still as straight as new after all this abuse. Handbuilt wheels are absolutely able to handle the extra weight imposed by a single-track trailer[/FWIW]

Last edited by Leisesturm; 12-03-19 at 12:33 PM.
Old 12-03-19, 12:35 PM
Paul J

Bikes: 1980's Spectrum 10 sp Campagnolo Centaur, 1990 Eddy Merckx 10 sp Campagnolo Centaur, Bushnell Tandem, Co-Motion Speedster Tandem

Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked 102 Times in 65 Posts
Originally Posted by Leisesturm
They don't. All the double leg stands I know of mount at the Stoker bottom bracket. The trailers all mount at the rear dropout(s).
Thanks Leisesturm, I didn't know if the raised kick stand would interfere with the trailer hitch at the rear dropout, not knowing how far back ends would extend.
Old 12-03-19, 12:57 PM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2599 Post(s)
Liked 1,924 Times in 1,208 Posts
@Leisesturm, I have to ask, 110 pounds getting ready for Thanksgiving? Are you hauling donated canned goods from the grocery store to a food pantry or something?
Old 12-04-19, 09:09 AM
jethro00

Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked 39 Times in 32 Posts
Originally Posted by Son_Rising
I've got the Velo Orange dual leg stand on my Sirrus. It works pretty well for light duty. Things like strong gusts and enthusiastic pups can easily knock the bike over though, especially when loaded. I like it still because it does work smoothly, is not too heavy and I'm careful when parking to have it near a wall or pole, tree, etc when loaded. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V4q_c31kVKQ
Interesting. I find that our Pletscher double leg stand (on firm ground) is much more stable than our good quality single leg stand, including when the bike is loaded (evenly on each side).
Old 12-04-19, 11:05 AM
bobh123

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by jethro00
You can spin the rear tire to check for glass or other hazards, and lift the front and spin the front tire. You can remove the rear tire to change a flat since the rear tire is off the ground.
Something I forgot to mention in my earlier reply: We travel with our S & S coupled tandem. When we get to our destination and reassemble the bike, and after the trip as we are breaking it down to pack up, we can stand the bike up on the double kickstand, without wheels. This lets the kickstand act, sort of, like having the bike on a bike repair stand. Pedals, seats, stems and handlebars, cable routing, cranks, timing chain, fenders, chain installation and cleaning, derailleur adjustment, brake adjustment. All of that can be attended to while the bike is standing erect. We still have to get up and down, but it is much easier than if the bike was lying on a side or propped against a wall, or if my stoker had to hold the bike up.
Old 12-04-19, 10:36 PM
dwmckee

Bikes: Co-Motion Cappuccino Tandem,'88 Bob Jackson Touring, Co-Motion Cascadia Touring, Open U.P., Ritchie Titanium Breakaway, Frances Cycles SmallHaul cargo bike. Those are the permanent ones; others wander in and out of the stable occasionally as well.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked 339 Times in 229 Posts
The Pletcher is teh way to go hands down. I have owned 3 tandems and would not have a tandem without it. Reasonable judgement when tightening the stand will ensure it is secure but does not crush the frame. Tandems sometimes use heavier tubing so this may be less of a risk with a tandem. I have never seen a frame damaged from overtightening a kickstand but I guess it is possible. For our last tandem we ordered it with a kickstand plate for most secure mounting.
Old 12-07-19, 06:47 AM
Monoborracho

Bikes: More than I really should own.

Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 18 Posts
Originally Posted by IPassGas
Alternatively, consider a "Click-Stand" and something to hold the front wheel straight like "Steer-stopper".
Also, a piece of Velcro wrapped around wheel and downtube is a very light weight way to keep the bike stable. Use a piece around the front brake also to keep it from rolling or moving. Cheap & lightweight and fits in a pocket.
Old 12-07-19, 07:32 AM
IPassGas

Originally Posted by Monoborracho
Also, a piece of Velcro wrapped around wheel and downtube is a very light weight way to keep the bike stable. Use a piece around the front brake also to keep it from rolling or moving. Cheap & lightweight and fits in a pocket.
True, we used to use velcro, but got a steerstopper as gift and like it in combo with click-stand.
Old 12-10-19, 10:49 AM
Philly Tandem

Bikes: Too many! Santana tandems and triplet; MTBs; touring bikes

Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 15 Posts
I had Bilenky Cycles add a kickstand mounting plate to both my Santana tandem and Santana triplet (pictured earlier in this thread). Money very well spent, as it makes the twin-legged kickstand setup rock solid. If you don't have a mounting plate, just be careful how much you torque the mounting bracket and bolt down on the chainstays (as others have noted). Rivindell and likely others sells a "sandwich set" that helps spread the load on the chainstays: https://www.rivbike.com/products/ple...nt=23336090241
Old 12-10-19, 03:38 PM
LV2TNDM

Bikes: Cannondale tandems: '92 Road, '97 Mtn. Mongoose 10.9 Ti, Kelly Deluxe, Tommaso Chorus, Cdale MT2000, Schwinn Deluxe Cruiser, Torker Unicycle, among others.

Quoted: 279 Post(s)
Liked 206 Times in 129 Posts
It isn't the trailer's overall strength...

Originally Posted by Leisesturm
They don't. All the double leg stands I know of mount at the Stoker bottom bracket. The trailers all mount at the rear dropout(s). [FWIW] We are not big fans of using dual-track trailers with (single track) bicycles. Yes, they usually have a higher ultimate weight capacity but, respectfully, you are doing it wrong if you are exceeding the weight limit of a Bob Yak on even an extended tour. The tandem pictured above has a BOB ready Q/R, and we shop every week pulling the Yak. Getting ready for Thanksgiving for the last 5 or more years means exceeding the rated weight limit (70lb.) by at least 40lb. The trailer has stood up to this abuse just fine but the Pletscher stand has a bit of a limp. There are other double leg stands (cheaper too) that are better able to deal with 120lb. trailer loads. None are as elegant as the Pletscher though. Even the lowly Trek wheels are still as straight as new after all this abuse. Handbuilt wheels are absolutely able to handle the extra weight imposed by a single-track trailer[/FWIW]
... that determines max load. It's the ratio of Yak load to rider and its effects on bicycle dynamics that determines the recommended load. I, too, have overloaded a Yak on the tandem after a Costco run without issue. And I'd concede that the max load limit could probably be pushed up a bit for a heavy tandem team.

BUT, everyone needs to understand that overloading the trailer won't damage it or your bike, but it will seriously increase handling problems, specifically high-speed wobble issues. If your trailer is really heavy and you encounter a fast descent, you may encounter speed wobble/high-speed shimmy that could be disastrous. As in the bike starts wobbling out of control until you crash and crash hard!

My wife and I met another cyclist while on our honeymoon. He noticed our Yak and gave us a stern warning to not overload it. He made this mistake and crashed hard on a fast descent while touring. He then lifted up his shirt to reveal the gnarliest road rash scars that I've ever seen! That made quite an impression on us!

And I'd even be cautious nearing the Yak max load rating for small riders. A 100 lb. rider, for example, wouldn't do well hauling 70lbs. on a Yak, especially on a fast descent!

So everyone should take this into account when loading trailers on bikes. I thought it worthwhile to share in this thread, even though it's really about kickstands (sorry, didn't intend to hijack!).

Also, for those interested, EVERY bicycle will experience high speed wobble. Most bicycles never reach high enough speeds to initiate the problem, so it isn't really worth worrying about. And the high speed effect is NOT resonance, but actually called Hopf Bifurcation. I actually have no idea what this is (save for a layman's understanding of resonance frequencies), but a math professor happened to expound on the subject with Velo News' Lennard Zinn. Anyone interested in the nuts & bolts and math of the subject, can read it at the link below. Enjoy!

https://www.velonews.com/2013/11/tec...-shimmy_309601
(Scroll to last entry.)
Old 12-11-19, 08:13 AM
IPassGas

Originally Posted by LV2TNDM
... that determines max load. It's the ratio of Yak load to rider and its effects on bicycle dynamics that determines the recommended load. I, too, have overloaded a Yak on the tandem after a Costco run without issue. And I'd concede that the max load limit could probably be pushed up a bit for a heavy tandem team.

BUT, everyone needs to understand that overloading the trailer won't damage it or your bike, but it will seriously increase handling problems, specifically high-speed wobble issues. If your trailer is really heavy and you encounter a fast descent, you may encounter speed wobble/high-speed shimmy that could be disastrous. As in the bike starts wobbling out of control until you crash and crash hard!

My wife and I met another cyclist while on our honeymoon. He noticed our Yak and gave us a stern warning to not overload it. He made this mistake and crashed hard on a fast descent while touring. He then lifted up his shirt to reveal the gnarliest road rash scars that I've ever seen! That made quite an impression on us!

And I'd even be cautious nearing the Yak max load rating for small riders. A 100 lb. rider, for example, wouldn't do well hauling 70lbs. on a Yak, especially on a fast descent!

So everyone should take this into account when loading trailers on bikes. I thought it worthwhile to share in this thread, even though it's really about kickstands (sorry, didn't intend to hijack!).

Also, for those interested, EVERY bicycle will experience high speed wobble. Most bicycles never reach high enough speeds to initiate the problem, so it isn't really worth worrying about. And the high speed effect is NOT resonance, but actually called Hopf Bifurcation. I actually have no idea what this is (save for a layman's understanding of resonance frequencies), but a math professor happened to expound on the subject with Velo News' Lennard Zinn. Anyone interested in the nuts & bolts and math of the subject, can read it at the link below. Enjoy!

https://www.velonews.com/2013/11/tec...-shimmy_309601
(Scroll to last entry.)
True, but It is difficult to distinguish between the two phenomena (the famous Tacoma bridge incident did have a resonance component to the failure). I have heard many teams discuss wobble problems, which I suspect is resonance due to lack of frame stiffness. It is a function of overall weight and frame stiffness (a reason that some teams use trailers). Our old Santana Noventa was very stiff and we never experienced oscillations loaded or unloaded (53 mph once, but won't do that again). Our new Rodriguez is also very stiff and no wobble loaded/unloaded. Both bikes have the extra diagonal stiffener. Marketing seems to be moving away from the extra stiffener, presumably for weight reasons, but that will likely be a trade-off with oscillation problems, again depending on overall weight.
Old 12-11-19, 11:42 AM
rseeker

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 318 Post(s)
Liked 149 Times in 104 Posts
I've got the Velo Orange dual leg stand on my Sirrus. It works pretty well for light duty. Things like strong gusts and enthusiastic pups can easily knock the bike over though, especially when loaded. I like it still because it does work smoothly, is not too heavy and I'm careful when parking to have it near a wall or pole, tree, etc when loaded. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V4q_c31kVKQ
OT but would you mind telling me which pedals you have on there? I need to replace mine and the grip surface on yours looks like it would work well. (Nice video.)
Old 12-12-19, 10:29 AM
rseeker

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 318 Post(s)
Liked 149 Times in 104 Posts
The grips are stock and came on the Sirrus, not sure of their make. The pedals are Origin8 Ultim8 Trapp pedals. I use them on 3 of my bikes, luv em. I have a video review of them here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AHWcqGdesa4
Thanks so much, I really appreciate it. I'll check em both out.

ETA - great video, thanks again, that's very thorough. And if you're trying to make people envious of your natural surroundings it's working.

Last edited by rseeker; 12-12-19 at 10:40 AM.