Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals.
Reload this Page >

Vintage Serotta Colorado II Concept uncommon colors

Search
Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-19, 08:44 PM
Hobbybike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hey all, thanks for looking at this inquiry. I have this Serotta Colorado II (Colorado Concept) and I've scoured the internet trying to find more information on it. Specifically, what it's worth, year, frame composition, model, etc... Hope you Serotta experts can chime in here.

Pictures uploaded below:

I'm going to post a bit in order to actually be able to post pics... One sec...
Old 12-26-19, 08:50 PM
Hobbybike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Old 12-27-19, 03:07 PM
zukahn1 

Bikes: Current 79 Nishiki Custum Sport, Jeunet 620, notable previous bikes P.K. Ripper loop tail, Kawahara Laser Lite, Paramount Track full chrome, Raliegh Internatioanl, Motobecan Super Mirage. 59 Crown royak 3 speed

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 790 Post(s)
Liked 1,761 Times in 634 Posts
Great looking frame but the somewhat odd mix of components and the current stem bar setup will hurt value some. I'm pretty sure this is mid to late 80's a late's bike would likely have had a chrome Serrota fork and full DA components with DT shifters and traditional bars originally. Not sure on the tubing at the time top end makers were using mostly SLX for smaller frames. As for value with the changed bar setup fork and lower and brifter's and brakes probably in the $500 range with most of that value in the two tone frame with matching custom wheels. If it was all original with nice matching vintage correct full DA or Campy components it would be in the $1000 range maybe even a bit more on a international sale.
Old 12-27-19, 07:54 PM
DMC707

Bikes: Too many to list

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1765 Post(s)
Liked 1,124 Times in 746 Posts
Nice frameset with what looks to be a "serviceable" parts kit that was sourced with whatever the prior owner had laying around.
It likely all works just fine together if in proper tune - The Salsa stem was in fact a very popular trackie stem back in the day too

tough to tell an exact year as nice framesets rarely went strictly by model years per se' like an off the rack Specialized or Giant would, but 1" steerer and threaded would point to pre '98 or so i would think. That model fork was a popular "upgrade" in the mid 90's
Old 12-28-19, 10:46 AM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,829 Times in 1,995 Posts
Originally Posted by zukahn1
Great looking frame but the somewhat odd mix of components and the current stem bar setup will hurt value some. I'm pretty sure this is mid to late 80's a late's bike would likely have had a chrome Serrota fork and full DA components with DT shifters and traditional bars originally. Not sure on the tubing at the time top end makers were using mostly SLX for smaller frames. As for value with the changed bar setup fork and lower and brifter's and brakes probably in the $500 range with most of that value in the two tone frame with matching custom wheels. If it was all original with nice matching vintage correct full DA or Campy components it would be in the $1000 range maybe even a bit more on a international sale.
really really market dependent. The buyer who would value the frame the most would value those parts least. Not for function, but for bragging rights. To get the most value, part it out. Consider a wide eBay level audience. Much easier to ship a frame safely.
why Serotta made a frame that size with Colorado tubing? Marketing. Not need.
Old 12-28-19, 04:46 PM
zukahn1 

Bikes: Current 79 Nishiki Custum Sport, Jeunet 620, notable previous bikes P.K. Ripper loop tail, Kawahara Laser Lite, Paramount Track full chrome, Raliegh Internatioanl, Motobecan Super Mirage. 59 Crown royak 3 speed

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 790 Post(s)
Liked 1,761 Times in 634 Posts
I would agree that most buyers that would want the frame with matching wheels probably don't want the other components yet a part out becomes problematic because the matching custume wheels should really stay with the frame and the other components while fine likely great working riding stuff just don't have a lot of value you can basically buy nicer parts bike used with the same or similar stuff for $100-200 in most markets. So it is likely best to sell the bike whole locally yet it will likely take a while to sell.