Search
Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

Viner Special Professional

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-20, 03:49 PM
515Cycling

Bikes: 2020 Trek Emonda, 1976 Colnago Super

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 75 Times in 27 Posts
Viner Special Professional

I built this bike up from a frame. It has its original paint but new decals. I built it with what I am pretty sure is a Nuovo Record groupset from 1984. Rims and hubs may be from later than 1984 but are Campy. What do you think its worth?

Likes For 515Cycling:
Old 01-05-20, 04:50 PM
wrk101
Thrifty Bill

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 964 Times in 628 Posts
Rust under paint, I'd have to probe it to see how bad it is.
Old 01-05-20, 05:10 PM
515Cycling

Understood

That is the only place on the frame.
Likes For 515Cycling:
Old 01-05-20, 06:29 PM
nesteel 

Bikes: See the signature....

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 550 Post(s)
Liked 191 Times in 114 Posts
Headset, FD, RD, and pedals are not Super Record, let alone early SR. Headset appears to possibly have an incorrect bottom cup.
Are the pad holders on the calipers chromed steel, or alloy?
Paint issues are paint issues. One spot of corrosion under the a paint such as that one is still a problem, and will require attention.
The Viner name does not carry the same weight as other fine brands.
In today's depressed market, with the aforementioned issues, I predict you MIGHT get $650 as a complete bike. But you'll be waiting for that buyer.
If you want maximum return, prepare to part it out.
Old 01-05-20, 07:16 PM
515Cycling

Thanks

Originally Posted by nesteel
Headset, FD, RD, and pedals are not Super Record, let alone early SR. Headset appears to possibly have an incorrect bottom cup.
Paint issues are paint issues. One spot of corrosion under the a paint such as that one is still a problem, and will require attention.
In today's depressed market, with the aforementioned issues, I predict you MIGHT get $650 as a complete bike. But you'll be waiting for that buyer.
That’s exactly the advice I was seeking. A price versus parting it out is key.
Old 01-05-20, 07:31 PM
juvela

Mentioned: 415 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3803 Post(s)
Liked 3,324 Times in 2,170 Posts
-----

Gus Betat of New Orleans was an agent for Nerozzi at the time of this frameset.

This may be one they brought in...

-----
Old 01-05-20, 07:31 PM
nesteel 

Originally Posted by Mark Isaak
That’s exactly the advice I was seeking. A price versus parting it out is key.
It's a great looking bike. The white on blue looks clean and tidy. If I were a buyer, there's darn little about it I would change.
Old 01-07-20, 10:23 AM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5888 Post(s)
Liked 3,471 Times in 2,079 Posts
Originally Posted by juvela
-----

Gus Betat of New Orleans was an agent for Nerozzi at the time of this frameset.

This may be one they brought in...

-----
Yes, Gus Betat imported Viners and also was a wholesaler for Campagnolo. I grew up in New Orleans and worked in a bike shop there (not Gus Betat). I bought my first campy NR group from them. A lot of racers in New Orleans used them.
Old 01-07-20, 01:19 PM
515Cycling

Originally Posted by nesteel
FD and RD as well as pedals I stated were Nuovo Record. Am I wrong about that? I know the RD is Nuovo Record. The pad holders are chromed steel. I struggled with what to do about that one location of rust under the paint. It is not structural IMO but I did not want to probe through the paint. Either way, I know it must be checked out. The point you make about Viner not carrying the same mystic as other brands is the reason I have had 5 Viners in the last two years. I like under appreciated brands. Most of what I read about Viners always includes "not as good as" language but then they go on to say how good the frames were. So, I kind of adopted the brand.

nesteel, thanks again for the feedback.
Old 01-07-20, 01:46 PM
TugaDude

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 586 Post(s)
Liked 612 Times in 447 Posts
Isn't is a shame that you built up this very nice bike only to now have to contemplate parting it out in order to maximize value? I understand it, but it kind of sucks because you did a nice job of putting it together. Very attractive bike. I agree that you'd be lucky to get $650.00 as it sits.
Likes For TugaDude:
Old 01-07-20, 03:19 PM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,827 Times in 1,995 Posts
Max value return will be from dismemberment.
There is something with the camera lens and or handlebars. 66-42's are good but from a overall aesthetic, the bike seems small for them.
I wonder also if the RH side is not pushed in a bit. It might be the camera distortinn, These were 42cm at the ends to begin with, if they are not, then get a framing square and measure from the stem to the bar drops left and right.

The paint troubles are like a prior run of cable housing remained wet and the water went to work. Unusual.

If you keep it, check the bars, and find a better fitting cable furrel for the rear mechanism, that one is too big. It would be better even to replace the current housing to ditch the upset, grind the housing square, and go without the furrel.
Check the swing limit stop on the rear mech at the attachment point, it looks to me as if it is rotated too far forward.
I have run across this more than once, even returned a derailleur that when received, showed distortion there. The ebay seller, admitted he was not sure... but probably was "tweaked" a bit.

For your reference- steel pedals with the strap loop were still on the shelf but out of production in 1974.

Nice wheels, terrific tires.

Last edited by repechage; 01-07-20 at 03:27 PM.
Likes For repechage:
Old 01-07-20, 07:03 PM
nesteel 

Originally Posted by Mark Isaak
FD and RD as well as pedals I stated were Nuovo Record. Am I wrong about that? I know the RD is Nuovo Record. The pad holders are chromed steel. I struggled with what to do about that one location of rust under the paint. It is not structural IMO but I did not want to probe through the paint. Either way, I know it must be checked out. The point you make about Viner not carrying the same mystic as other brands is the reason I have had 5 Viners in the last two years. I like under appreciated brands. Most of what I read about Viners always includes "not as good as" language but then they go on to say how good the frames were. So, I kind of adopted the brand.

nesteel, thanks again for the feedback.
I had neglected to quote the person who misidentified the parts as SR. As for Viner, it's definitely an "under the radar" brand, and they made some beautiful equipment.