Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Same bike on trainer?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Same bike on trainer?

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-20, 10:35 AM
PedalingFool

Bikes: Trek 1.2, Trek Mtn, Specialized Gravel, Jamis TT, Specialized FatBoy

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I have two exact same Trek 1.1's... I use one outside and one stays permanently on the trainer.
I used to use only one and swap it out all the time but my LBS offered me a second Trek 1.1 for $350.
Old 01-04-20, 09:45 PM
sdmc530
Heft On Wheels

Bikes: Specialized,Cannondale,Argon 18

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 887 Post(s)
Liked 560 Times in 346 Posts
I too have a dedicated trainer bike. I used to not and just removed it on and off as needed. Then I got a new road bike and then used the old bike. I did take off some unneeded parts from that bike and used on other projects. Trainer bikes don’t need brakes and stuff like that. Not necessary though. It’s a luxury to have a full time trainer bike IMO. But I would go back now either.

If funds are tight watch used bikes and find a decent used bike. It just has to fit and have a good base.

Good luck
Old 01-05-20, 12:07 AM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9334 Post(s)
Liked 3,679 Times in 2,026 Posts
Originally Posted by sdmc530
I too have a dedicated trainer bike. I used to not and just removed it on and off as needed. Then I got a new road bike and then used the old bike. I did take off some unneeded parts from that bike and used on other projects. Trainer bikes don’t need brakes and stuff like that. Not necessary though. It’s a luxury to have a full time trainer bike IMO. But I would go back now either.

If funds are tight watch used bikes and find a decent used bike. It just has to fit and have a good base.

Good luck
Depending on what you do on the trainer, you can even get away with a 1x and bar-ends to build up a cheap crappy frame. That’ll be my approach if I can find a cheap DZero to match my tri bike.
Old 01-05-20, 09:11 AM
MagicHour

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Limited space in it our apt and on top of that I can’t keep a trainer bike permanently setup, so my main ride needs to also serve as my trainer bike. Which is partly why I ride more “budget-friendly” but still rideable sub $1k frames, so I don’t have to worry about it too much and if I trash it, I trash it.

That being said, I’m super careful with my bike and use plenty of towels and a bike protector thong for sweat protection when training, regularly maintain drivetrain, and also don’t go too crazy sprinting out of the saddle or anything (not that my power is anything to worry about lol)
Old 01-05-20, 12:14 PM
sdmc530
Heft On Wheels

Originally Posted by Bah Humbug
Depending on what you do on the trainer, you can even get away with a 1x and bar-ends to build up a cheap crappy frame. That’ll be my approach if I can find a cheap DZero to match my tri bike.

absolutely! I don’t have a front mech, no brakes. You could even get away with no front wheel and rig a fork mount if you needed too. You really don’t need much for a trainer bike really
Old 01-09-20, 12:14 PM
zjrog

Bikes: 1986 KHS Fiero, 1989 Trek 950, 1990 Trek 7000, 1991 Gary Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo, 1992 Trek 1400, 1997 Cannondale CAD2 R300, 1998 Cannondale CAD2 R200, 2002 Marin San Rafael, 2006 Cannondale CAAD8 R1000, 2010 Performance Access XCL9R

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked 385 Times in 207 Posts
A sure reason to feed the N+1 habit... I have a dedicated bike on my trainer. 1998 Cannondale CAD2 R200. I crashed on this bike 8 years ago (breaking my back), after replacing handlebars and front wheel, I just never really felt comfortable or "safe" outdoors on it. I have other bikes that I ride without that "feeling". Indoors, this bike is just fine.
Old 01-09-20, 12:53 PM
msu2001la

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1455 Post(s)
Liked 1,477 Times in 867 Posts
Originally Posted by colombo357
Every time I buy a new bike, I buy two. One for the road, one for the trainer.

It costs more that way, but hey, money ain't a thang.
The only reason I opened this thread was to find this response.
Thanks for not disappointing.
Likes For msu2001la:
Old 01-10-20, 11:55 PM
Drew Eckhardt 

Bikes: 97 Litespeed, 50-39-30x13-26 10 cogs, Campagnolo Ultrashift, retroreflective rims on SON28/PowerTap hubs

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 550 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 226 Posts
Originally Posted by SparkyCanada
What do most road cyclists do regarding indoor trainers when the weather is not cooperating?
Do people use the same bike on their indoor trainer or do you have a separate bike for the trainer?
I keep an ugly trainer skewer on my bike so I can easily mount it when the weather is sub-optimal.
Old 01-11-20, 07:04 AM
sdmc530
Heft On Wheels

Originally Posted by Drew Eckhardt
I keep an ugly trainer skewer on my bike so I can easily mount it when the weather is sub-optimal.
but but but what about the extra 20 grams?
Old 01-11-20, 08:24 AM
nomadmax 

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 1104 Post(s)
Liked 1,824 Times in 878 Posts
I have a dedicated rollers bike that I sometimes ride outdoors in less than optimal conditions; weather & roads. The measurements are the same as my other road bikes.
Old 01-15-20, 02:42 PM
SparkyCanada

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Thanks everyone for your insight.

I think I'll look at getting another bike just for the indoor trainer once it warms up and I take my road bike off the trainer...

Thanks,

Sparky
Old 01-15-20, 03:16 PM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,569 Times in 974 Posts
Depends on how you use it. If you're just doing really basic workouts like Z2 chugging or some 3x8 and 2x20 or whatever. I would use same.

If you're racing on Zwift, sprinting, doing high power stuff.........I wouldn't. I've never sprinted in Zwift. I've only done what I can smoothly shift to and spin seated and stable. I'd rather not destroy my race bike on the trainer.

Just my opinion. People do it just fine. I don't have the cash if something happens.
Old 01-16-20, 08:40 AM
eduskator

Bikes: SL8 Pro, TCR beater

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 981 Post(s)
Liked 582 Times in 438 Posts
Originally Posted by SparkyCanada
Hi there.

What do most road cyclists do regarding indoor trainers when the weather is not cooperating?

Do people use the same bike on their indoor trainer or do you have a separate bike for the trainer?

Wondering if people are constantly hauling their road bike indoors - removing the back wheel (for trainers that require this) and mounting it on the trainer for a day or 2 - then putting the tire back on when the weather is nice...?

During the winter I use my hybrid bike with studded tires for the snow - so when the snow falls - it's not an issue - I place my road bike on the trainer and there it stays until the roads are clear...

Thanks,

SparkyCanada
I had this brilliant idea back in September when I purchased a Tacx Vortex... Didn't realize that my bike has tubeless tires, and that I would need to buy another rear wheel, cassette if I didn't want all the hassle related to swapping the trainer tire on my current wheels 2x per year. Plus, I need to convert my thru-axle to a quick release.

I am planning on buying a cheaper road bike to commute to work, and use it on the trainer during winter, instead. Plus, I didn't like the idea of wearing my components unevenly.

Haven't touched a bicycle since November
Old 01-16-20, 09:18 AM
firebird854

Bikes: 2016 Specialized Tarmac Expert

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 258 Post(s)
Liked 114 Times in 62 Posts
Currently, my 2016 Tarmac Expert is my dedicated trainer bike, I use it's powertap g3 as the powermeter and have a Cycleops Magnus configured with zwift to be used as the smart trainer (i.e. this means I never need to calibrate anything). I will probably sell it soon, I've just been to lazy to make any postings, then I'll use my usual road bike for both.
Old 01-18-20, 08:27 AM
zacster

Bikes: Kuota Kredo/Chorus, Trek 7000 commuter, Trek 8000 MTB and a few others

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 460 Times in 362 Posts
Isn't one of the great things about a trainer that you can ride your regular bike on it? I'd go to a gym if I was just looking to pedal any old thing. And as I said earlier, I can swap the wheel on/off and put the bike on the trainer in under 15 seconds. It is better than having to find a place to put the bike, it just lives on the trainer when not in use.
Old 01-18-20, 10:25 AM
Just Mark

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Roubaix Comp, 2019 Cannondale Synopse 105 SE, 2015 Cannondale Quick 5, 2019 Specialized Fatboy

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 26 Posts
I’m not training for anything so I don’t need a trainer. If conditions are so bad I don’t want to take my road bike out, I take my Fat Boy out. If it is too bad for the fat bike, I’ve probably evacuated the area.

Last edited by Just Mark; 01-18-20 at 05:39 PM.
Old 01-18-20, 04:09 PM
Thomas15
I think I know nothing.

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 233 Post(s)
Liked 290 Times in 204 Posts
I have my back up road bike attached to my trainer. I put a trainer tire on it. I have another bike I converted to a gravel bike but it isn't exactly what I want. So next winter my back up road bike will become my gravel bike and my now gravel bike will become my permanent trainer bike.

That is the plan anyway.
Old 01-18-20, 04:29 PM
AdkMtnMonster
Airplanes, bikes, beer.

Bikes: Road bikes, mountain bikes, a cx bike, a gravel bike…

Quoted: 398 Post(s)
Liked 788 Times in 339 Posts
I'm more interested in how many different trainers everyone has. I have two. A silencer and a CyclOps. So, uh... does anyone else ride the same bike on different trainers?
Old 01-18-20, 04:37 PM
Metallifan33

Bikes: Trek Domane SL 5

Quoted: 218 Post(s)
Liked 102 Times in 48 Posts
I thought about this too. Initially, I was worried the stress of a trainer would be bad for my bike, but people have since talked me out of that worry. I plan on buying a Tacx 2T when temps cross 115 degrees here and mounting my bike on it for the summer. I figure at some point I'll probably buy another bike (and at that point, the current bike will be the primary "trainer" bike)... this seems to be the usual route among cyclists.