Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

"I love vintage bikes except for _______"

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

"I love vintage bikes except for _______"

Old 01-11-20, 11:46 AM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 1,409 Times in 909 Posts
Old people who don't get it.
Young people who don't get it.
Myself, when I don't get it.

Actually, I am not even going to click on this thread.
Likes For RobbieTunes:
Old 01-12-20, 06:52 AM
cycleheimer

Bikes: '02 Litespeed, '99 Bianchi Alfana. '91 Fuji Saratoga, '84 Peugeot Canyon Express, '82 Moto GR, '81 Fuji America, '81 Fuji Royale; '78 Bridgestone Diamond Touring, '76 Fuji America, plus many more!

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked 223 Times in 126 Posts
Originally Posted by thinktubes
One set of water bottle mounts.
Or, no set of water bottle mounts.
Likes For cycleheimer:
Old 01-12-20, 07:49 AM
Cougrrcj

Bikes: A few...

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 620 Post(s)
Liked 370 Times in 256 Posts
I love my vintage bikes - except for unhooked rims! Those usually get replaced with a similar-looking box-section modern clincher rim. Polished, of course, to stay period-looking.
Old 01-12-20, 12:00 PM
svoperokram

Bikes: 1967 LEGNANO mod 42 (CONDORINO), 1976 MOTOBECANE SPECIAL SPORT, 1976 PEUGEOT PE41, 1970 PEUGEOT PX8

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 7 Posts
Braking power!
Old 01-12-20, 07:14 PM
Todd Groesbeck

Bikes: Schwinns, Raleigh, Treks, and others

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by noglider
Funny, some of these peeves don't bother me a bit. I was a bike shop mechanic, so I mastered MAFAC and Weinmann brakes. They don't bother me at all. Some single-pivot side-pull brakes work just fine, though a few don't. Turkey levers are usually fine if set up properly. I DO NOT LIKE cottered cranks, and I have enough experience with them to be set in that view. Freewheels aren't my favorites, either, and I usually end up converting my bikes to cassette hubs.

I have comically wide feet, so quill pedals never made sense to me. The quill comes up into the middle of my foot. Ouch! I wish I could use them. The steel Campagnolo Nuovo Record was the most indestructible pedal ever made, and it was beautiful. Toe clips aren't so bad, but I now prefer SPDs. Only my street fixie has toe clips now.

Sure, steel rims suck, but I'm keeping them on my Rudge, as they're working fine. The chrome has come off on parts of them, and the result is that braking has become quite good.
I just got another old bike. My first ever with turkey levers. They work well, but I keep thinking about how much nicer the bike would look with aero hoods. It is an old Raleigh Super Course, a 1977 model.
Old 01-12-20, 07:17 PM
jackbombay

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 457 Post(s)
Liked 462 Times in 270 Posts
Originally Posted by Cougrrcj
I love my vintage bikes - except for unhooked rims! Those usually get replaced with a similar-looking box-section modern clincher rim. Polished, of course, to stay period-looking.
I'm fairly new to vintage unhooked rims, but I got some recently and haven't had issue with them yet, where do they fall short of a newer hooked rim? Does the tire not always seat up symmetrically?
Old 01-12-20, 07:27 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7338 Post(s)
Liked 2,438 Times in 1,423 Posts
Originally Posted by 63rickert
Please don't discard those narrow handlebars. No one will be making more and some of us love them.
Is that true? I have narrow shoulders. I built up my McLean in 1983 with wide bars and after many years decided narrow bars would be better for me. I have narrow shoulders. Should I be hoarding these? Wide bars are a godsend to all the wide-shouldered men who hadn't been considered but not to me.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 01-12-20, 07:52 PM
Dean51 

Bikes: '8? Ciocc Mockba 80, '82 Ron Cooper, '84 Allez, '86 Tommasini Racing, '86? Klein Quantum, '87 Ciocc Designer 84, '95 Trek 5500, '98 Litespeed Classic, '98 S-Works Mtb

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Liked 309 Times in 122 Posts
Is that true? I have narrow shoulders. I built up my McLean in 1983 with wide bars and after many years decided narrow bars would be better for me. I have narrow shoulders. Should I be hoarding these? Wide bars are a godsend to all the wide-shouldered men who hadn't been considered but not to me.
I too have narrow shoulders and I'm with you on narrow bars. Years ago.....when I had just one road bike with 44 cm bars....I regularly developed a nasty pain between my shoulder blades after a few hours. 'Switched to 38 cm and this recurring problem disappeared. My fleet currently has 8 bikes in riding form. All of their bars are 38's and 40's.

Dean
Old 01-12-20, 08:00 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Originally Posted by Chuckk
Disappointed by a 35+ year old Miche hub yesterday when I found it had popped while the bike was sitting!

Maybe I shouldn't complain about my Miche Competition hubs, because I got decades of service out of them, but the internals wore out, and the axle broke. The dimensions were the same as Campy Record back in the day, but the quality was not.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Old 01-12-20, 10:21 PM
Cougrrcj

Bikes: A few...

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 620 Post(s)
Liked 370 Times in 256 Posts
Originally Posted by jackbombay
I'm fairly new to vintage unhooked rims, but I got some recently and haven't had issue with them yet, where do they fall short of a newer hooked rim? Does the tire not always seat up symmetrically?
Unhooked rims were okay with stiff wire-beaded tires that held their shape and at moderate pressures, but with more modern and less stiff wire beads - or with any of the foldable/Kevlar beads forget it - if they aren't perfectly seated concentrically, they tend to blow off the rims at even 60-80psi.
Old 01-13-20, 06:17 AM
63rickert

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1090 Post(s)
Liked 329 Times in 245 Posts
Yes, hoard them if you can find them.

Am pretty sure no one is making them currently. 40 on center is as narrow as I know of and those, I think, are more like recent than current. Current is 31.8 centers with cable grooves and possibly carbon. The sales pitch for wide bars is so strong you can go to the races and see tiny women and juniors with big wide bars. Even at top competition levels the women use 'bars for men.

Another factor is many of the old ones were never that good and sagged, drooped, eventually cracked. They self destruct. In olden days 'bars were a service item, replaced frequently.

My shoulders are normal to wide and I still like narrow bars. The wife is a small person, there are few bars that really fit her. The ones that come close are very old.
Old 01-13-20, 08:14 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

I happen to have a giant pile of drop bars. I used to do upright bar conversions for neighbors. I should take measurements and inventory. There are so many darned clamp diameters.

Luckily I work at a bike coop, and there are lots of handlebars there, too, but I haven't looked through them.

Old 01-13-20, 10:35 AM
Narhay

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Quoted: 956 Post(s)
Liked 568 Times in 314 Posts
I'm happy with everything vintage except:

Pedals
I tried to like clips and straps but I just couldn't do it. Any riding in a city with cars and lights meant frequent starts and stops. Spd pedals are all I ride these days.

Unsealed bearings that need frequent repacking after wet rides arent ideal either but I try not to ride in the rain these days.
Old 01-13-20, 12:30 PM
Hill Cycle

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I love vintage bikes expect for...

For myself, the vintage racing bikes of the late 1970's and early 1980's are beautiful. They were hand made and brazed and the builders were artists and craftsmen. These bikes had a soul. Campagnolo's beauty and chrome were almost jewelry worthy.

I have been riding and racing bikes pretty much constantly since 1975 until the present. There is not much I don't love about vintage bikes but for me the most natural and useful modification was STI type shifting on the brake levers. When I moved to clipless pedals, I reached down to undo my toe straps for a couple of years. When I moved to STI shifting, I never one reached for my down tube shifters. When I ride my 1982 restored Bianchi Campione del Mondo now, the first thing I do is try to shift the darn brake levers. :-)
Old 01-13-20, 12:31 PM
Glenhollow

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by nlerner
the people who post incessantly online about them.
Thank You!
Old 01-13-20, 01:14 PM
Salamandrine 

Bikes: 78 Masi Criterium, 68 PX10, 2016 Mercian King of Mercia, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr

Mentioned: 120 Post(s)
Quoted: 2317 Post(s)
Liked 597 Times in 430 Posts
Hmm, I have relatively wide shoulders and was always fine with the wide bars of yesteryear, 40 cm. Bars came in two sizes: 38 or 40.

Nowadays I use 42, and they are comfortable, but I find myself trying to rotate my wrists in when dealing with headwinds, to get some of the effect of narrow bars. Aero was the main justification for narrow bars in the past. I remember big trackie sprinter types built like a tree stump riding around on 38's.

I suspect it's mostly a matter of personal preference, what's in fashion, as well as what you're used to.
Old 01-13-20, 01:27 PM
djs42

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts
My main ride is a "vintage bike". It's really the only road bike I've owned for 30+ years .. I guess that also makes me a "vintage rider".
About 6 months ago someone on a ride mentioned that his "brifters" were acting up. I had no idea what that referred to but kept about 3 bikes away in the pace line in case it was contagious.
Likes For djs42:
Old 01-13-20, 01:40 PM
StrikeLite

Bikes: Cannondale Super Six Evo, Specialized Turbo S, Schwinn Paramount, Giordana Titanium AL, Cannondale Slate Apex, Custom Cysco Ti

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Seat post corrosion, quill seat posts, old hardened grease and maybe affordable matching parts.
Likes For StrikeLite:
Old 01-13-20, 02:09 PM
julius rensch

Bikes: 1972 Raleigh Tourist

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 10 Posts
Agreeing with Phil gretz

Originally Posted by Phil_gretz
...the shortness of my remaining life to enjoy them.
.................................................................................................... .................................................................................................... .................................................................................................... .................................................................................................... .......................................................
agreeing with Phil gretz...the days grow short, and shorter every year..
...Julius in Ohio
Likes For julius rensch:
Old 01-13-20, 02:25 PM
MDS61

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Friction shifters

I hate friction shifters
Old 01-13-20, 02:46 PM
CharlesLuck

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've done away with cables and aero levers all together.
I just wear my steel toe boots when I ride.
Old 01-13-20, 02:50 PM
jackbombay

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 457 Post(s)
Liked 462 Times in 270 Posts
Originally Posted by MDS61
I hate friction shifters
Even friction thumb shifters? I find them to be almost indexed as you have such fine control over the shifter lever with your hand braced on the grip of the bike.
Old 01-13-20, 02:55 PM
MDS61

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by jackbombay
Even friction thumb shifters? I find them to be almost indexed as you have such fine control over the shifter lever with your hand braced on the grip of the bike.
You have a fair point. Those were much better than downtube shifters. Very little force needed and more precision...
Old 01-13-20, 04:08 PM
clubman 
Phyllo-buster

Bikes: roadsters, club bikes, fixed and classic

Mentioned: 133 Post(s)
Quoted: 2295 Post(s)
Liked 2,041 Times in 1,250 Posts
Originally Posted by Salamandrine
I remember big trackie sprinter types built like a tree stump riding around on 38's.
Sometimes bars are chosen for utility over comfort, like this track anecdote. Narrow bars are preferable on track bikes to reduce entanglement, shoulders being the preferred point of contact. When I commuted in city traffic, I felt safer with shorty flat bars on my urban mtn bikes, easier to swerve around people, mirrors and doors. I rode 42 or 44 on my fast bikes on group rides but I avoided 44 bars on a road bike in downtown traffic.
Old 01-13-20, 06:14 PM
Mr Carl

Bikes: Too many personal bikes to mention on here

Liked 21 Times in 9 Posts
Old school head set bearings. My 1960 Western Flyer 3 speed made in England has the individual bearings.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.