Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Help me pick a bike

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Help me pick a bike

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-20, 06:03 AM
CoffeedrinkerNC

Bikes: Trek Verve 2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 17 Posts
Help me pick a bike

I'm getting back into riding to get drop some pounds and get back in a shape other than round. I turned 50 this past summer, I'm 6-2, 265 lbs, I have a bad back with a herniated disc in my lower back. I'm a longtime motorcycle rider, both street and dirt.

I plan to ride this bike on my cities bike paths, they are most paved and concrete, with some hard packed dirt.

I've been doing some research on bikes that will fit my needs, I have about $1000 budget. I plan to try and test ride the listed bikes, but I'm looking for opions on my choices. From a few people that I know that ride have suggested looking at the Trek Verve 3, Trek FX3, and Co-Op CTY 2.1. I have looked at the specs, but I really do not understand them
Old 01-16-20, 08:37 AM
leob1

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 292 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 69 Posts
Go to a few bike shops, test ride a few bikes. A good shop will sell you the bike that fits your need, not just what they want to sell you. They will ask lots of questions, and spend time with you to put you on the right bike.
Likes For leob1:
Old 01-16-20, 09:47 AM
berner

Bikes: Specialized Secteur, old Peugeot

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 663 Post(s)
Liked 496 Times in 299 Posts
My first bike was from a consignment store and cost $65. I enjoyed riding it for several 1000 miles but it was too big and uncomfortable, especially as my rides got longer. The second bike was from a bike shop and they put me on just the right bike, a bike that does everything I want a bike to do and fit well. I endorse the idea of going to several bike shops before a final decision.
Old 01-16-20, 10:49 AM
jppe
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts
Where do you live? I might be able to suggest a bike shop if you’re interested.
Old 01-16-20, 11:18 AM
CoffeedrinkerNC

Originally Posted by jppe
Where do you live? I might be able to suggest a bike shop if you’re interested.
In the Greensboro area of North Carolina.
Old 01-17-20, 10:55 AM
ironwood

Bikes: 1984 Bridgestone 400 1985Univega nouevo sport 650b conversion 1993b'stone RBT 1985 Schwinn Tempo

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 542 Post(s)
Liked 152 Times in 100 Posts
There is a forum for heavier riders, Clydesdales and Athenas , Someone there might have good advice.
Old 01-17-20, 11:14 AM
jppe
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

There is a Trek Bike Store off Battleground, also Cycles de Oro. If you’re on the High Point side there is Bicycle Toy and Hobby I’d highly recommend. I have several friends that have used them for years. A really great shop.

Best of luck with your shopping!!
Old 01-17-20, 11:17 AM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8275 Post(s)
Liked 9,033 Times in 4,471 Posts
Have you thought about a used hardtail mtb? Or even a short travel full suspension bike? They are tough, versatile, and you can put slicks on for road. It might be better for your back to have some cushion.

If you think a hardtail might work for you here is a Trek at the store jppe mentioned. It even comes in a XXL.
https://www.bicycletoyandhobby.com/p...7-364607-1.htm

Last edited by big john; 01-17-20 at 11:37 AM.
Likes For big john:
Old 01-18-20, 09:45 AM
h2oxtc

Bikes: Cannondale Caad 8; Jamis Aurora Elite, Kona Disc road bike, Rocky Mntn Equipe, Apollo Imperial, KHS Aero Comp SS

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by leob1
Go to a few bike shops, test ride a few bikes. A good shop will sell you the bike that fits your need, not just what they want to sell you. They will ask lots of questions, and spend time with you to put you on the right bike.
We have several shops close by, offering a broad selection of brands The shop I personally have appreciated the most over the years in terms of great service is also the shop that tried to sell my sister (before she asked me for help) and did sell to my neighbor, bikes that were completely inappropriate for them. In these cases two different sales persons were involved. My neighbor brought over her brand new bike,she was so proud. I stood in horror, but couldn't immediately tell her what they had done. Background: my neighbor has wrist and ankle issues, having had surgery on both. She's a first time road cyclist, having previously ridden a comfort bike only. They sold her a mid-price range race geometry bike with a 52/39 crankset. We live in a hilly (mountainous) area, and unless you're young and/or tough, a compact crankset is a minimum, especially given her physical conditions (which she confirmed she had disclosed to the salesperson), and her age eligibility in this forum.

But not all was lost - I know the owner of the store and called him to my concerns. They bought the bike back from my neighbor and a week later sold her an appropriate road bike. I still have faith in the bike shop, however can not recommend anyone go there blindly assuming that they will be sold the best bike for their needs. I am in no way discrediting the bike shop, they did the right thing. Simply suggesting that as consumers we need to inform ourselves or take someone along to the bike shop who is reasonably informed. My sister ended up buying her bike from another one of the local shops.
Old 01-18-20, 11:20 AM
CyclingBK

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 88 Times in 57 Posts
I picked up a cty 1.1, my first bike in 30 years, after a friend showed me a review. So, keep in mind, I’m a newbie.

The 2.1 has some detailed review online, I see, and looks similar to my 1.1 as far as most specs but has some nice upgrades like the suspension and hydraulic brakes.

For me, it’s been a great bike all around. I didn’t test drive it so guess I got lucky, I’d imagine testing the bikes would be ideal.

Good luck and good riding. Here is my 1.1

Old 01-18-20, 12:37 PM
CAT7RDR

Bikes: 1999 Schwinn Peloton Ultegra 10, Kestrel RT-1000 Ultegra, Trek Marlin 6 Deore 29'er

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 822 Post(s)
Liked 1,960 Times in 943 Posts
Originally Posted by CyclingBK
I picked up a cty 1.1, my first bike in 30 years, after a friend showed me a review. So, keep in mind, I’m a newbie.

The 2.1 has some detailed review online, I see, and looks similar to my 1.1 as far as most specs but has some nice upgrades like the suspension and hydraulic brakes.

For me, it’s been a great bike all around. I didn’t test drive it so guess I got lucky, I’d imagine testing the bikes would be ideal.

Good luck and good riding. Here is my 1.1

I too started riding five years ago at your height and weight. I purchased a Trek Marlin 6 hardtail 29er MTB. After losing 40 lbs I purchased a proper road bike. Although I cannot recommend the Marlin 6 due to the cheap wheel set and entry level components, it is now a sound bike after upgrading the wheels and components to Deore. If you go the 29er route, pay more for a more upscale bike. You will be better off in the end.

Last edited by CAT7RDR; 01-18-20 at 12:39 PM. Reason: Mistake
Old 01-19-20, 06:06 AM
CoffeedrinkerNC

I went to the LBS and tried a few bikes, the FX, Verve, Dual Sport, and Marlin. I needed up getting the Verve 2, for me it was the most comfortable.
Likes For CoffeedrinkerNC:
Old 01-19-20, 08:57 PM
jppe
Let's do a Century

Good choice!
Old 01-21-20, 08:13 AM
frogbiscuit

Bikes: Specialized Sirrus, Cannondale Catalyst, Diamond Back Extreme TG, Schwinn Mesa Runner with an 88cc 2 stroke engine

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 15 Posts
Good choice. I am 6'1" and was about 275 when I bought my Specialized Sirrus. Since then I have about 3500 mile on it in just over 2 years (2000 miles last year), Down to 240, It's addicting. You will enjoy it.
Old 01-21-20, 08:37 AM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
My advice has always been to shop for a bike shop first.

Starting at where you live, interview the bikes in your area working in an outward spiral. When you find the one with people who seem to ask the right questions, seem interested in matching your unique needs to the riding opportunities in the area - that's it.

Buy a brand and type of bike they sell at a price range you are comfortable with and you'll never go wrong.
Old 01-21-20, 09:40 AM
ultrarider7

Bikes: 1964 Schwinn Varsity, 1985 Trek 410, 1985 Peugeot P 8, 2021 Pinarello Dogma F12, 2022 Cannondale Topstone Alloy

Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked 1,102 Times in 327 Posts
I owned a REI CTY 2.1 for about a month. Too heavy compared to competitive bikes. I ended up with a Cannondale Quick Carbon for my flat bar bicycle. The Quick line is a better value than the 2.1. The components used by REI are the bottom of the barrel Shimano items.
Old 01-21-20, 09:45 AM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5888 Post(s)
Liked 3,471 Times in 2,079 Posts
Originally Posted by ultrarider7
I owned a REI CTY 2.1 for about a month. Too heavy compared to competitive bikes. I ended up with a Cannondale Quick Carbon for my flat bar bicycle. The Quick line is a better value than the 2.1. The components used by REI are the bottom of the barrel Shimano items.
That's painting with a very broad brush. REI bikes can be very good value for money; some are not. The same can be said of every other bike line.
Old 01-21-20, 09:48 AM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5888 Post(s)
Liked 3,471 Times in 2,079 Posts
I'd avoid a bike with a front suspension fork. That's overkill for what you need. There are a lot of good choices out there so I agree with the others that you should start by finding a bike shop that you like and trust and by what they recommend and fits your budget.
Old 01-21-20, 09:49 AM
ultrarider7

Bikes: 1964 Schwinn Varsity, 1985 Trek 410, 1985 Peugeot P 8, 2021 Pinarello Dogma F12, 2022 Cannondale Topstone Alloy

Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked 1,102 Times in 327 Posts
Originally Posted by bikemig
That's painting with a very broad brush. REI bikes can be very good value for money; some are not. The same can be said of every other bike line.
Not disagreeing. My reply only addresses the 2.1 and what I found in my one month of ownership. I still buy a lot of stuff at REI and they are a stand-up organization.
Old 01-23-20, 08:23 AM
abritishbikefan

Bikes: 1969 Raleigh Sports 3 speed, 1939 Raleigh Sports Tourst Model 37, 1950 Raleigh Sports,1986 Bianchi Sports SX, Trek Mountain Bike, Cannondale Road bike 700

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts
Get the Right Bike

The best bike will be the one you want to ride. And with a $1,000 budget that shouldn't be an issue. As other have said, go to a good bike shop and have them measure you. Then try out the bikes.

My wife just got a bike and she had to try several before she was comfortable. Since the shop had her measurements, when the bike was delivered it was ready to ride.

She bought a Cannondale for $700 and has loved it ever since.
Old 01-28-20, 09:58 PM
sean.hwy

Bikes: Blur / Ibis Hakka MX / team machince alr2 / topstone 1

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 426 Post(s)
Liked 274 Times in 201 Posts
Originally Posted by CoffeedrinkerNC
I'm getting back into riding to get drop some pounds and get back in a shape other than round. I turned 50 this past summer, I'm 6-2, 265 lbs, I have a bad back with a herniated disc in my lower back. I'm a longtime motorcycle rider, both street and dirt.

I plan to ride this bike on my cities bike paths, they are most paved and concrete, with some hard packed dirt.
I rode dirt back in high school. ha-ha My everday transportation from jan 2015 to jan 2019 was a motorcycle. I got hit
in 2016. Physical therapy did not work. Had knee surgery on both knees oct 2017. I have been exercise every day.
Hiking evey weekend. I can hike 15 mile but still can't run. Lot's people recommend a bike. So a few
weeks ago I bought bike. I think we are looking for similar things. I did not want a spadex bike nor did I want
full on mountain bike with heavy suspension front and rear. I also only wanted one chain ring in the front.
I figure 9 gears is more than enough for me.

Xmas 2019 I purchases a Raleigh Bicycles Redux 2 City Bike for $750
https://www.raleighusa.com/redux2-r143

has Hydraulic brakes ( lots of bikes under 1k use cable disk brakes )
rims Alloy DDM-5, 32h, 27.5", 28mm Wide Double Wall
Tires Vee Tire Co. Zilent 27.5x47c, Wire Bead, 30 TPI

Tires are nice and wide which can be good or bad. They look cool but I think
if the tires were like 35 instead of 47 it would probably be faster.

Old 01-31-20, 09:20 AM
zebreaux

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Some of the same reasons I got my Roll, just get outside and exercise. What’s going on with those spokes?
Old 01-31-20, 11:48 AM
sean.hwy

Bikes: Blur / Ibis Hakka MX / team machince alr2 / topstone 1

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 426 Post(s)
Liked 274 Times in 201 Posts
Originally Posted by zebreaux
Some of the same reasons I got my Roll, just get outside and exercise. What’s going on with those spokes?

3M
Old 02-01-20, 04:46 PM
zebreaux

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
I thought it might be something like that. I like it. Thumbs up!