Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Question for you who wax your chain

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Question for you who wax your chain

Old 01-20-20, 12:10 PM
eduskator

Bikes: SL8 Pro, TCR beater

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 957 Post(s)
Liked 562 Times in 423 Posts
Did you try paraffin wax + paraffin oil only (1:1 ratio)?
2017 video:

In a recent video, he shares a mix of Teflon & Paraffin Wax (1:10 ratio) & mentions that Teflon needs to be kept at a certain diameter in order to be efficient.
2019 video:

Last edited by eduskator; 01-20-20 at 12:15 PM.
Old 01-20-20, 12:18 PM
MidTNBrad

Bikes: 2016 Cervelo R3 & 1999 Litespeed Tuscany

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked 138 Times in 79 Posts
No oil, just paraffin and Teflon.
Likes For MidTNBrad:
Old 01-20-20, 12:33 PM
RiceAWay

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 319 Post(s)
Liked 112 Times in 81 Posts
I'm not at all sure that additional lubricant is necessary but obviously a lot of private individual trials have been done and they all recommend one additional lubricant or another. PTFE is easy to get, though the Chinese can no longer deliver it to the US. But there are US sources. The particles are not as finely ground but there isn't much difference.

The real trick is heating the chain in the warm wax long enough that it can penetrate the links. If you pull the chain out of the bath and the wax hardens in-between the links you haven't left it there near long enough so dump it back in. In order to maintain your wax mixture be very sure that the chain is ultraclean.

I already mentioned that there is a commercial engine cleaner that is extremely efficient at this. Unfortunately I have not dropped by an auto supply house recently to renew my supply but it comes in a purple gallon plastic bottle and I believe it is called "Superwash". Finish Line makes a Concentrated Citrus Degreaser which comes in a gallon metal can for $55. This stuff is also very aggressive. (they also sell this in a 12 oz spray can as well but you have to soak new or dirty chains to wash the grease or dirt out from the links.)

Again - this stuff is so agressive that it can dull any anodized aluminum parts so be careful.

I went up and got soo more of that purple bottle stuff and it is called "Superclean" and I got it out the door for $13 and some change. While I like the idea of the citrus cleaner I'm not going to pay 4 times as much for it. I have dumped this stuff on and area of weeds and it didn't seem to have any effect on them so I don't suppose that it is all that environmentally unfriendly.

Last edited by RiceAWay; 01-20-20 at 03:41 PM.
Old 01-20-20, 04:34 PM
August West

Bikes: Domane SLR7 Project One

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked 173 Times in 105 Posts
Originally Posted by jadocs
100grams of PTFE off eBay. I have been waiting in the PTFE a little over a month now.
I ordered 100g on Dec. 30th and am still waiting too. Figured it would be 1-2 months though from the estimate on ebay. I have 1 fresh waxed chain left in waiting and am about 1/2 way thru the mileage for the one the bike so I'm hoping it gets here before I'm ready to do another round of waxing. If not, I'll probably just wax a single chain in straight paraffin to get by.
Old 01-20-20, 07:14 PM
jadocs

Bikes: Ti, Mn Cr Ni Mo Nb, Al, C

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 942 Post(s)
Liked 526 Times in 349 Posts
Originally Posted by MidTNBrad
I'm wondering if the PTFE is necessary. After digging around on a few other threads, it seems that it doesn't add too much of a performance gain. Also, the PTFE seems to be heavier than the paraffin and pools at the bottom of the crock pot. I started off mixing the solution with the chain as it was soaking so that it would get as much PTFE into suspension as possible, but I left the chain to sit for about 10 minutes on its own. All of the PTFE settled on the chain plates but that's not where it's needed. Hopefully some worked its way in to the internals as I was mixing it although I guess I'll never know.
From watching Oz Cycling, he really knows his stuff. I imagine there is a benefit.

Originally Posted by RiceAWay
PTFE is easy to get, though the Chinese can no longer deliver it to the US. But there are US sources. The particles are not as finely ground but there isn't much difference.

.....Again - this stuff is so agressive that it can dull any anodized aluminum parts so be careful
My PTFE is coming from China. Where did you hear they can’t send to the US anymore?

Whats the aversion to using gasoline? Sounds like the alternatives you are mentioning are just as volatile.

Originally Posted by August West
I ordered 100g on Dec. 30th and am still waiting too. Figured it would be 1-2 months though from the estimate on ebay. I have 1 fresh waxed chain left in waiting and am about 1/2 way thru the mileage for the one the bike so I'm hoping it gets here before I'm ready to do another round of waxing. If not, I'll probably just wax a single chain in straight paraffin to get by.
Yeah I just looked. I ordered on 28DEC with an expected delivery date of March.

So did you order and use PTFE in the past? How long did it actually take to arrive?
Old 01-20-20, 08:52 PM
August West

So did you order and use PTFE in the past? How long did it actually take to arrive?
No. I ordered it after watching the Oz cycle video. The vendor says it has been shipped and I even got a China Post shipping number so I guess I'll see if it shows up eventually. I normally don't buy stuff on ebay from Asia because it takes so long to get here and language can be a problem but the $ value was so little I decided to take a chance. I still have some MSW if it never shows up.
Old 01-20-20, 10:13 PM
RGMN

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 241 Post(s)
Liked 231 Times in 152 Posts
I get my PTFE from Howard Piano Industries. 3 micron particle size and ships fast from Wisconsin.
Old 01-20-20, 10:18 PM
August West

Originally Posted by RGMN
I get my PTFE from Howard Piano Industries. 3 micron particle size and ships fast from Wisconsin.
Thanks. If the ebay order doesn't show up I'll order some domestically. Since I'm not in a hurry I'll give it few weeks.
Old 01-20-20, 10:21 PM
MidTNBrad

Bikes: 2016 Cervelo R3 & 1999 Litespeed Tuscany

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked 138 Times in 79 Posts
I got mine from Runaway Bike on Amazon.
Old 01-21-20, 08:02 AM
jadocs

Originally Posted by RGMN
I saw that too while googling. They are also my backup plan...but wonder if the larger particle size makes a difference.
Old 01-21-20, 09:36 AM
eduskator

I saw that too while googling. They are also my backup plan...but wonder if the larger particle size makes a difference.
According to the guy from Oz Cycle, it does. In his latest 2019 video about Chain Waxing (link above), he recommends using 1.6 micron PFTE for best efficiency (1:10 ratio with Paraffin Wax).
Old 01-21-20, 09:39 AM
jadocs

Originally Posted by eduskator
According to the guy from Oz Cycle, it does. In his latest 2019 video about Chain Waxing (link above), he recommends using 1.6 micron PFTE for best efficiency (1:10 ratio with Paraffin Wax).
That was my take away as well.
Old 01-21-20, 01:47 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4558 Post(s)
Liked 2,798 Times in 1,798 Posts
I'm still waiting for a generic baggie of PTFE too. Probably same sources you other folks ordered from, claimed to be 1.6 micron particles. But I knew there would be a delay to as late as February.

I had to clean my drivetrain over the weekend since I got impatient this month and instead of waiting for the crock pot to heat up, I just drizzled either White Lightning Easy Lube, Boeshield T9 or, most recently, Rock 'n' Roll Absolute Dry on the chain. By Friday it was a gunky mess, mostly due to the White Lightning Easy Lube -- it leaves snot wads in the cogs, rear derailleur pulleys, pretty much everything it touches. I had to remove the chain and scrub it with a brush, flossed the freewheel, and scraped gunk off the pulleys.

While doing that I let the crock pot heat up so I could dunk the chain after cleaning. After putting it back on the bike I got impatient again for the excess wax to loosen up and drizzled some Rock 'n' Roll Absolute Dry on the chain. That combo made for a very slick drivetrain. But same old post-ride problems -- gunky black chain. I suppose the only way to avoid that with paraffin/PTFE based solvent lubes is to wait for the chain to dry completely, or speed it up with a fan.

When the PTFE powder arrives I'll probably toss my old batch of wax since it's going on 3 years old and is blackened because I'm too lazy to clean the chains between dunks. I just wipe 'em down with paper towels. I'm curious to see how it goes with fresh wax and the PTFE, although I'm a bit doubtful about how well it can penetrate or stay in suspension. PTFE based wet lubes always demand a lot of vigorous agitation even after sitting for only a few minutes. That'll be difficult to do with a crock pot full of molten wax.
Old 01-21-20, 01:59 PM
eduskator

Originally Posted by canklecat
I'm still waiting for a generic baggie of PTFE too. Probably same sources you other folks ordered from, claimed to be 1.6 micron particles. But I knew there would be a delay to as late as February.

I had to clean my drivetrain over the weekend since I got impatient this month and instead of waiting for the crock pot to heat up, I just drizzled either White Lightning Easy Lube, Boeshield T9 or, most recently, Rock 'n' Roll Absolute Dry on the chain. By Friday it was a gunky mess, mostly due to the White Lightning Easy Lube -- it leaves snot wads in the cogs, rear derailleur pulleys, pretty much everything it touches. I had to remove the chain and scrub it with a brush, flossed the freewheel, and scraped gunk off the pulleys.

While doing that I let the crock pot heat up so I could dunk the chain after cleaning. After putting it back on the bike I got impatient again for the excess wax to loosen up and drizzled some Rock 'n' Roll Absolute Dry on the chain. That combo made for a very slick drivetrain. But same old post-ride problems -- gunky black chain. I suppose the only way to avoid that with paraffin/PTFE based solvent lubes is to wait for the chain to dry completely, or speed it up with a fan.

When the PTFE powder arrives I'll probably toss my old batch of wax since it's going on 3 years old and is blackened because I'm too lazy to clean the chains between dunks. I just wipe 'em down with paper towels. I'm curious to see how it goes with fresh wax and the PTFE, although I'm a bit doubtful about how well it can penetrate or stay in suspension. PTFE based wet lubes always demand a lot of vigorous agitation even after sitting for only a few minutes. That'll be difficult to do with a crock pot full of molten wax.
Try cleaning your chain by soaking it in fuel overnight, then in degreaser, then in methylated spirits (denatured alcohol). Seems like it's a good way to completely remove lubricants, oils and any other substances than metal that can be stuck in/on the chain.
Old 01-21-20, 08:12 PM
jadocs

After putting it back on the bike I got impatient again for the excess wax to loosen up
Huh? After pulling my chain out of the wax, I hung it up to cool off. All I did was bend each link once to break the wax at each link, and mounted it on my bike. Rode it the next day in wet conditions and it was like butter. I’m not sure I understand what you mean by waiting for it to loosen up. If you are able to install the chain on the bike, that’s all you need to do.
Old 01-21-20, 09:37 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
I pull the chain out of the pot and put it straight onto the bike. Leather work glove on one hand. It's not that hot, fellas.
Old 01-21-20, 10:33 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4558 Post(s)
Liked 2,798 Times in 1,798 Posts
Huh? After pulling my chain out of the wax, I hung it up to cool off. All I did was bend each link once to break the wax at each link, and mounted it on my bike. Rode it the next day in wet conditions and it was like butter. I’m not sure I understand what you mean by waiting for it to loosen up. If you are able to install the chain on the bike, that’s all you need to do.
This old batch of wax feels gummy now. Probably because I don't clean the chain thoroughly between dipping in the crock pot. After about three years it's grimy.

I'm going to start over with a fresh batch of Gulf wax after the PTFE powder arrives.
Old 01-22-20, 07:16 AM
eduskator

This old batch of wax feels gummy now. Probably because I don't clean the chain thoroughly between dipping in the crock pot. After about three years it's grimy.

I'm going to start over with a fresh batch of Gulf wax after the PTFE powder arrives.
Nice! Probably cost you somewhere between 5$ to 10$ for 3 years of lubrication... I bet your chain & other drivetrain components have stayed in very good condition as well.

It seems like simply pouring boiling water on the chain between re-waxing does the trick. Never actually tested it though.
Old 01-22-20, 07:46 AM
eduskator

Originally Posted by DrIsotope
I pull the chain out of the pot and put it straight onto the bike. Leather work glove on one hand. It's not that hot, fellas.
Is there a lot of wax residues around your chain after your first ride?
Old 01-22-20, 07:58 AM
jadocs

I did not experience residue after the first ride. Maybe because there was no PTFE which tends to make the wax more white and visible? The riding conditions were wet, so it's possible that the road spray washed it off.
Old 01-22-20, 08:41 AM
August West

Decided to check my tracking # this morning and see there is finally some action.
Departed 【Xinxiang city JiDiShiYeBu international XiaoBaoLanTouBu】,
Next stop 【Zhengzhou international YouJian exchange of office 】,
Old 01-22-20, 08:45 AM
jadocs

Decided to check my tracking # this morning and see there is finally some action.
Last entry on mine was 10JAN Depart from facility to service provider. So seems like still in China
Old 01-22-20, 09:23 AM
eduskator

Ordered mine this month as well, and it said ''ships within 1 to 3 weeks''. With all the delays, I anticipate to receive it by end of March IF it's not lost somewhere in the shipping process.
Old 01-22-20, 12:14 PM
RiceAWay

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 319 Post(s)
Liked 112 Times in 81 Posts
When I ordered it on eBay, I received a response on the order page that said, "We can not send this product to your area". I suppose that could be California Only but usually California allows anything from China including fake drugs.
Old 01-22-20, 12:18 PM
San Rensho 

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 383 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 91 Posts
My chain has no hair, so I don't need to wax it. Besides I don't want to put my chain through all that pain.

1980 3Rensho-- 1975 Raleigh Sprite 3spd
1990s Raleigh M20 MTB--2007 Windsor Hour (track)
1988 Ducati 750 F1

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.