Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

Helix Update?

Search
Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Helix Update?

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-20, 09:35 PM
Acabal

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Helix seatpost with setback

Originally Posted by Acabal
I have a bike still in box. I have not decided if I'm going to keep it or sell it yet.
btw. I'm stil trying to source a titanium with atleast 20 fir setback and with straight tube.
Old 01-12-20, 05:36 PM
Revoltingest
Widely Despised

Bikes: Dahon Helios, Dahon P8, Bike Friday tandem, Ingo, Trek, Columbia, Helix

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 2 Posts
The latest update is out.
Old 01-12-20, 08:18 PM
Omikron
Professonal Hobbyist

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Revoltingest
The latest update is out.
Is it? I just checked and it still says some variation of "oh gosh I'm so sorry for the delay there was a super duper ultra last minute whatever but don't worry the NEXT update will be SO amazing."

Did Peter post something and then remove it? What did it say?
Old 01-12-20, 08:31 PM
Batstar

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 175 Times in 79 Posts
Some of the highlights of the long-awaited update include:

- Production continues but assembly is pushing the limits of the team due to the complex nature of the process. No word on how many bikes have been delivered since the last update. So far 400 bike frames have been welded,

- Recent retail sales have helped buoy company finances

- An ultralight component package is in the works and would be available as an optional upgrade. It’s reported to shed approx. 4 lbs from the bike. Some of those components could include a lighter crankset, rotors, handlebar, stem…

- Four tutorial videos have been added to the portal’s support section.

- The plan for accessories will commence soon with racks, mudguards, travel case and electric conversion topping the list. Thinking that any progress made on this front will be highly dependent on how many funds are allocated from current sales.

I patiently await production of a pair of bikes which have been assigned a May 2020 est. delivery date. Hopefully all of the production kinks will be sorted out by then and that accessories/upgrade kit will be available for final customization.
Old 01-12-20, 08:34 PM
wakeman

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks! Appreciate the sharing of these updates as I patiently await an opportunity to order
​​​​​​​
Originally Posted by Batstar
Some of the highlights of the long-awaited update include:

- Production continues but assembly is pushing the limits of the team due to the complex nature of the process. No word on how many bikes have been delivered since the last update. So far 400 bike frames have been welded,

- Recent retail sales have helped buoy company finances

- An ultralight component package is in the works and would be available as an optional upgrade. It’s reported to shed approx. 4 lbs from the bike. Some of those components could include a lighter crankset, rotors, handlebar, stem…

- Four tutorial videos have been added to the portal’s support section.

- The plan for accessories will commence soon with racks, mudguards, travel case and electric conversion topping the list. Thinking that any progress made on this front will be highly dependent on how many funds are allocated from current sales.

I patiently await production of a pair of bikes which have been assigned a May 2020 est. delivery date. Hopefully all of the production kinks will be sorted out by then and that accessories/upgrade kit will be available for final customization.
Old 01-18-20, 11:37 AM
wilhelmine

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
next opportunity to order is January the 28th on helix . ca , sometimes backers sell their bike before get it.
Old 01-24-20, 09:10 PM
spambait11
Señor Mambo

Bikes: TST roadie, Cannondale CAAD 3, Surly Karate Stokemonkey Leap, Tern Cargo Node, Helix Alfine; 36er and 29er Triton Unicycles; a couple Bike Fridays; one Brompton; RadPower Radburro

Liked 28 Times in 12 Posts
FYI: Annoying squeaks coming from what I thought was the SRAM NX crankset. Turns out it was the removable Wellgo pedal which wasn’t totally seated properly in the quick-release mechanism (I do remove this pedal from time to time). shot some WD-40 on the spindle, and made sure to seat it properly in the quick-release. Squeak gone!
Old 01-26-20, 10:10 PM
john m flores 
Rider. Wanderer. Creator.

Bikes: Bike Friday Pocket Rocket, Cinelli Hobootleg, Zizzo Liberte

Quoted: 389 Post(s)
Liked 769 Times in 373 Posts
Would be great to see some photos of this mythical beast...
Old 01-27-20, 04:08 PM
Jipe

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 247 Times in 211 Posts
Originally Posted by spambait11
FYI: Annoying squeaks coming from what I thought was the SRAM NX crankset. Turns out it was the removable Wellgo pedal which wasn’t totally seated properly in the quick-release mechanism (I do remove this pedal from time to time). shot some WD-40 on the spindle, and made sure to seat it properly in the quick-release. Squeak gone!
I use Wellgo QRD pedals on several bikes and indeed squeaks in the QRD assembly occur often, need regularly some lubrication.
Old 01-27-20, 06:28 PM
tds101 
55+ Club,...

Bikes: 9+,...

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1111 Post(s)
Liked 842 Times in 587 Posts
Originally Posted by john m flores
Would be great to see some photos of this mythical beast...
Apparently you haven't looked through the thread,...
Old 01-27-20, 08:56 PM
john m flores 
Rider. Wanderer. Creator.

Bikes: Bike Friday Pocket Rocket, Cinelli Hobootleg, Zizzo Liberte

Quoted: 389 Post(s)
Liked 769 Times in 373 Posts
Originally Posted by tds101
Apparently you haven't looked through the thread,...
While I haven't looked through all 93 pages of this thread, I've looked through the early pages and the recent pages. I've seen a couple of photos, a couple of videos, and some posts from people that say they have one but haven't posted photos. I've also searched Google and YouTube and have found precious little real-world reviews of this bikes, or even photos of people standing proudly with their new steed.

In other words, there seem to be more pages on this thread than actual owners. It's a shame because it looks to be a pretty innovative design. I hope the people that put their deposits down get their bikes eventually.
Old 01-27-20, 09:34 PM
Schwinnsta
Schwinnasaur

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 459 Post(s)
Liked 182 Times in 121 Posts
There is a another thread here with owner's reviews.
Old 01-28-20, 04:56 AM
tomtomtom123

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 350 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 90 Posts
Originally Posted by Jipe
I use Wellgo QRD pedals on several bikes and indeed squeaks in the QRD assembly occur often, need regularly some lubrication.
I've used a few MKS quick release pedals. They usually don't make noises but sometimes there is a very low creaking sound in the summer. Maybe it had to do temperature and tolerances.
The older EZY has a smaller diameter on the quick release shell so you can place your feet as close to the crank arms as possible. The newer EZY Superior quick release has a larger diameter so the bottom of the shoes will rub against it so you have to keep your shoes off it. There are only a couple of pedal models that are tall enough to clear the shoes.
I assume with wellgo that you have to keep the shoes away from the quick release lever.
Old 01-28-20, 05:12 AM
Jipe

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 247 Times in 211 Posts
True, you have to put your foot away from the crank.

This means you have to choose pedals wide enough for your foot size

With the original EZY, you can accidentally push the release ring with the sole of your show, to be safe, you need to place the EZY yellow safety clip.
Old 01-28-20, 06:10 PM
Batstar

While I haven't looked through all 93 pages of this thread, I've looked through the early pages and the recent pages. I've seen a couple of photos, a couple of videos, and some posts from people that say they have one but haven't posted photos. I've also searched Google and YouTube and have found precious little real-world reviews of this bikes, or even photos of people standing proudly with their new steed.

In other words, there seem to be more pages on this thread than actual owners. It's a shame because it looks to be a pretty innovative design. I hope the people that put their deposits down get their bikes eventually.
With the owners’ review thread apparently removed or merged, I’m guessing this has become the go-to-point for anyone wishing to provide feedback on their bikes. One can only speculate why there are so few reviews available either here or anywhere else on the web but I suspect many owners, at this point, don’t really feel the need to respond other than the ones who have posted in this thread. With less than 400 bikes out in the wild, there will likely be little more to come in the form of real-world reviews. Perhaps that scenario could start to change when more bikes are eventually delivered into the hands of eagerly waiting backers and those who have pre-ordered.

Helix is now accepting limited orders for delivery between April 6-10.
Old 01-28-20, 06:37 PM
tds101 
55+ Club,...

Bikes: 9+,...

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1111 Post(s)
Liked 842 Times in 587 Posts

There's enough out there to show what this bike is about. This includes multiple posts here on BF, actual owner video on YouTube (which I guess STILL isn't enough), and decent enough content that shows this isn't vaporware. I guess you were expecting to be bombarded with content? Remember, most of those owners you mention don't even know this forum exists, and most average people don't post videos or reviews. What's out there now is acceptable,...considering it's a niche product.
Old 01-28-20, 06:53 PM
Omikron
Professonal Hobbyist

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have received my first of three pledges and I've ridden it a bit over the weekend. It is indeed a beautiful piece of engineering, although I have some complaints about how tight some of the fold tolerances are. In my opinion there isn't a great way to fold it without having the derailleur scratch the handlebars during transport. Minor, but annoying.

Also annoying? The current lack of accessories. Any clip-on mudguards I can find will have to be removed prior to folding, which undermines a great deal of the portability. Also currently no official case.

If the accessory issue gets resolved it will be one of my favorite bikes. It is indeed quite fun to ride.

While I don't have time for a video or a full "photo shoot", if there are specific questions folks have I can do my best to answer them, although I imagine the other Helix owners in this thread will be able to do so as well.
Old 01-29-20, 09:43 PM
Batstar

@Omikron – Congrats!

Accessories continue to be a sticking point. Even with additional funding being allocated to their development I sense that these items receive less consideration relative to the push to reduce the backlog of bikes slated for assembly. I also recall when work on mudguards and a travel case were said to be resuming back in September. The road ahead for Helix will still likely be fraught with challenges but despite this, I'm amazed and thankful for what Peter has accomplished. The timeline of the activity streams as seen from the factory floor show the determined motivation that was directed towards the fruition of Helix.

Seeing that the first bikes were delivered almost a year ago, no real shock that the issues being reported here could be considered somewhat negligible. At this stage, anything more severe would be alarming to say the least.

I don't know how many more owners will go to the trouble of posting images of their bikes let alone videos. That being said, comments both positive and negative are greatly appreciated by those of us still playing the waiting game. Up to this point, it's reassuring to know that members here are generally happy with their Helixes.

Last edited by Batstar; 01-29-20 at 11:06 PM.
Old 01-29-20, 10:50 PM
Omikron
Professonal Hobbyist

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Batstar
@Omikron – Congrats!

Accessories continue to be a sticking point. Even with additional funding being allocated to their development I sense that these items receive less consideration relative to the push to reduce the backlog of bikes slated for assembly. I also recall when work on mudguards and a travel case were said to be resuming back in September. The road ahead for Helix will still likely be fraught with challenges but despite this, I'm amazed and thankful for what Peter has accomplished. The timeline of the activity streams as seen from the factory floor show the determined motivation that was directed towards the fruition of Helix.

Seeing that the first bikes were delivered almost a year ago, no real shock that the issues being reported here could be considered somewhat negligible. At this stage, anything more severe would be alarming to say the least.

I don't know how many more owners will go to the trouble of posting images of their bikes let alone videos. That being said, comments both positive and negative are greatly appreciated by those of us still playing the waiting game. Up to this point, it's reassuring to know that many here are generally happy with their Helixes.
Overall, I love the bike so far and I am excited about using it more as more practical accessories become available for it. My main focus at the moment is getting a safe, airline compliant way of checking the bike while traveling (no official case yet) and the mudguard situation.
Old 01-29-20, 10:51 PM
Omikron
Professonal Hobbyist

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Also, a couple of folks have sent me PM's but I cannot reply to them yet as I have less than 10 posts. So if you have a question for me, this thread will have to suffice for now. :-)
Old 01-29-20, 11:10 PM
Batstar

Make some new members feel welcome and before you know it you'll be there.
Old 01-30-20, 09:25 PM
Batstar

Update: It appears that Helix has once again sold out on the latest round for limited bike orders. Next opportunity to order one will be March 2020.
Likes For Batstar:
Old 01-31-20, 09:15 AM
Joe Remi

Bikes: Haibike Sduro Trekking SL, Rivendell Appaloosa, Concinnity singlespeed, KHS mini velo (Japan market), Trident Spike trike

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 91 Times in 74 Posts
Originally Posted by Omikron
I have received my first of three pledges and I've ridden it a bit over the weekend. It is indeed a beautiful piece of engineering, although I have some complaints about how tight some of the fold tolerances are. In my opinion there isn't a great way to fold it without having the derailleur scratch the handlebars during transport. Minor, but annoying.
I folding bike you can't carry without the derailleur scratching the handlebars is not a minor flaw. I would be livid if my expensive bike did that.
Likes For Joe Remi:
Old 02-05-20, 12:09 PM
RatonLaveur

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
To the number of people complaining about the inability to fit mud guards, I'm rather surprised that such solutions aren't more talked about https://musguard.com/
it seems to me that a foldable mudguard is the ideal attachment, if not the ideal look or protection...
What do you think.
Old 02-05-20, 12:41 PM
tomtomtom123

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 350 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 90 Posts
Originally Posted by RatonLaveur
To the number of people complaining about the inability to fit mud guards, I'm rather surprised that such solutions aren't more talked about https://musguard.com/
it seems to me that a foldable mudguard is the ideal attachment, if not the ideal look or protection...
What do you think.
The flexible and foldable mudguard looks like a good idea for people who need to quickly remove and attach it. But I would suspect that there's a lot of splash back from the position of them to the tires. For regular commuters, a normal form fitting mudguard would protect your legs and feet better.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.