Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

Full suspension or hardtail?

Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Old 11-27-19, 11:19 AM
kq2dc7

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts

I've been riding a 27.5 full suspension with 140 mm front and back for the last 6 month's. I recently added a 29+ hardtail stache. On a trail that I've been on numerous times I had a series wreck and was lucky to have just broken my wrist. The trail is pretty technical and on a 20 inch drop I got tossed over the bars. I went off at a bad place causing me to fall another 5 feet off the side of the trail. I'm new to biking and was wondering if there is that big of a difference in the two bikes? It was my second time on the hardtail.
Old 11-27-19, 05:07 PM
Canker

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 330 Post(s)
Liked 209 Times in 133 Posts
I'm not looking up the geometries of the bikes since you only listed one anyway but I'd say geometry. The 140mm bike is probably slacker in the front end which makes it more stable going downhill but you probably just goofed up and wrecked, it happens.
Old 11-27-19, 06:59 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3221 Post(s)
Liked 2,046 Times in 1,170 Posts
Skill level. Accidents happen.
Likes For Steve B.:
Old 11-29-19, 01:28 PM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2761 Post(s)
Liked 2,534 Times in 1,433 Posts
Originally Posted by kq2dc7
I've been riding a 27.5 full suspension with 140 mm front and back for the last 6 month's. I recently added a 29+ hardtail stache. On a trail that I've been on numerous times I had a series wreck and was lucky to have just broken my wrist. The trail is pretty technical and on a 20 inch drop I got tossed over the bars. I went off at a bad place causing me to fall another 5 feet off the side of the trail. I'm new to biking and was wondering if there is that big of a difference in the two bikes? It was my second time on the hardtail.
Is there a big difference between a 140mm FS and a hardtail? Yes, they are pretty different.

What exactly is your question?
Likes For Kapusta:
Old 11-29-19, 07:15 PM
Happy Feet

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2236 Post(s)
Liked 1,314 Times in 707 Posts
My experience riding the same trails with three different bikes is:

26" rigid old school mtb - slow and picking lines very carefully to avoid rocks/drops etc...
26 hardtail - still need to pick lines but more forgiving on the rocks/drops...
27.5 FS - Flowing over obstacles to the point of going way to fast for some corners until I adapted. Far less concern about picking lines in regards to rocks/drops.
Old 11-30-19, 01:21 AM
gag4o

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I have 26 full suspention and once i just tried the 29 (never tried 27,5) it was just a spaceship compared to 26. I would say stick to full suspension for trails and go big
Old 12-01-19, 07:01 AM
kq2dc7

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Kapusta
Is there a big difference between a 140mm FS and a hardtail? Yes, they are pretty different.

What exactly is your question?
Is there that big of a difference in riding techniques? I had only been on it 2-3 times prior to this ride.
Old 12-01-19, 08:16 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Is there that big of a difference in riding techniques? I had only been on it 2-3 times prior to this ride.
There is some difference but I still don’t know what you are asking specifically.

What does “THAT big of a difference mean?” Big enough to do what?

Are you asking if the fact that you were on a HT is why you got so badly hurt? No, it is not.
Old 12-01-19, 08:44 AM
xroadcharlie

Bikes: 2018 Giant Sedona

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 95 Posts
Any new bike you ride, even bikes of the same design, you absolutely should go slow until you know how the bike will react when pushed. It might very well mean different techniques to control your bike, Increase your speed slowly. Any time you approach you limit, Even with years of experience a safe ride can still be a crap shoot depending on how bad you want to win or how fast you want to go.

As far as oversize tires vs suspension bikes go, A big tire bike will react much like a basketball when over inflated. Correct tire pressure is essential for a safe fast ride.

Proper suspension bikes are damped so the rebound is much better controlled. They can often be adjusted for various situations. For most competitive activities I'd choose a full suspension bike hands down.

For recreational riders, Both should be fine with some experience. I do like the simplicity of a hardtail.

Last edited by xroadcharlie; 12-01-19 at 08:50 AM.
Likes For xroadcharlie:
Old 12-04-19, 01:03 AM
tallbikeman

Bikes: Modified 26 inch frame Schwinn Varsity with 700c wheels and 10 speed cassette hub. Ryan Vanguard recumbent. 67cm 27"x1 1/4" Schwinn Sports Tourer from the 1980's. 1980's 68cm Nishiki Sebring with 700c aero wheels, 30 speeds, flat bar bicycle.

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 102 Posts
Two completely different bicycles. One that can go over rough terrain at high speed and yet remain in control. The other bicycle needs to maybe slow down some to do the very same terrain. At least until you get used to no rear suspension other than your legs. On a rigid bicycle you stand quite a bit more of the time than on a full suspension. The rigid tail will be rougher on you because you are the suspension. Sorry to hear you broke your wrist. Heal well.
Old 12-05-19, 10:53 AM
pickettt

Bikes: DiamondBack Podium 7, Focus Raven 1.0, Ritchey BreakAway Cross, (2) Trek 8500, Paramount PDG 90, Trek T2000, Redline Flight Pro 24

Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 33 Posts
Learn on a hardtail, then ride whatever you want.
Likes For pickettt:
Old 12-06-19, 11:41 PM
qclabrat

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 257 Post(s)
Liked 70 Times in 63 Posts
Both bikes should be able to handle a 2 feet drop. Doe I'd want the rear squish on most days when I'm deciding to send it.
Old 12-07-19, 07:08 AM
HerrKaLeun

Bikes: Giant Toughroad SLR1 and Motobecane Sturgis NX

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 900 Post(s)
Liked 231 Times in 168 Posts
If you own both bikes and don't know the difference, I'm afraid we can't help you.
Likes For HerrKaLeun:
Old 12-12-19, 01:46 PM
c_m_shooter

Bikes: Soma Pescadero, Surly Pugsley, Salsa Fargo, Schwinn Klunker, Gravity SS 27.5, Monocog 29er

Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Liked 234 Times in 166 Posts
We rode drops and jumps before we had suspension. You need to learn to ride, your full suspension rig has been babysitting you and keeping you out of trouble.
Old 12-13-19, 08:38 AM
prj71

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 2975 Post(s)
Liked 1,178 Times in 769 Posts
Originally Posted by HerrKaLeun
If you own both bikes and don't know the difference, I'm afraid we can't help you.
Right?!

Common sense ain't so common!!!
Old 12-13-19, 10:54 AM
Happy Feet

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2236 Post(s)
Liked 1,314 Times in 707 Posts
Funny how people are dogging you about the riding skills you should have yet can't seem to negotiate a sentence.
(bolding is mine)

To answer your question directly. There is a difference between a hardtail and a FS bike but also between a 27.5 and 29r. The hardtail will be less forgiving of terrain that can throw you and a 29 can be less responsive on technical trails due to the larger tire diameter creating a larger turning radius. This can be more pronounced if you are a shorter rider. The two together are probably the reason you are experiencing difficulty where you didn't before. Dial it back and give yourself time to adapt to how the bike wants to flow.

Last edited by Happy Feet; 12-13-19 at 11:03 AM.
Old 12-13-19, 09:48 PM
kq2dc7

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by HerrKaLeun
The 29 hardtail is a new bike and I'm a 57 year old that took up riding 6 months ago when I retired. I know the difference in the bikes but was curious if the skills to ride them were that different.

Thanks for the reply it's always helpful to hear from helpful experienced riders.
Old 12-13-19, 09:56 PM
kq2dc7

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by xroadcharlie
Any new bike you ride, even bikes of the same design, you absolutely should go slow until you know how the bike will react when pushed. It might very well mean different techniques to control your bike, Increase your speed slowly. Any time you approach you limit, Even with years of experience a safe ride can still be a crap shoot depending on how bad you want to win or how fast you want to go.

As far as oversize tires vs suspension bikes go, A big tire bike will react much like a basketball when over inflated. Correct tire pressure is essential for a safe fast ride.

Proper suspension bikes are damped so the rebound is much better controlled. They can often be adjusted for various situations. For most competitive activities I'd choose a full suspension bike hands down.

For recreational riders, Both should be fine with some experience. I do like the simplicity of a hardtail.
Thanks, the air pressure in the rear tire was 40 pounds I dropped it to 20. I've had 5 weeks that I couldn't ride a bike but Monday I may be cleared.

I've walked the trail 4 to 5 times since the accident and am pretty confident that the tire pressure and being in a hurry caused the wreck.
Likes For kq2dc7:
Old 12-17-19, 09:44 AM
mtbronbo

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
full suspension

Full suspension will not prevent falls [ 10 broken bones, concussion, separated shoulder, operation on private parts from top tube connection can attest to that] but will get you though areas where the hardtail might seem edgy. Tucson's rocky trails are more comfortable with full suspension, on the flow trails a hardtail is certainly faster, or feels faster. My bikes are all fullsusy as comfort wins over speed for me.
Old 12-17-19, 01:31 PM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

In terms of crashing, the main difference I find is that with FS I am going faster when it happens.
Likes For Kapusta:
Old 12-23-19, 11:24 PM
tallbikeman

Bikes: Modified 26 inch frame Schwinn Varsity with 700c wheels and 10 speed cassette hub. Ryan Vanguard recumbent. 67cm 27"x1 1/4" Schwinn Sports Tourer from the 1980's. 1980's 68cm Nishiki Sebring with 700c aero wheels, 30 speeds, flat bar bicycle.

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 102 Posts
Originally Posted by Kapusta
In terms of crashing, the main difference I find is that with FS I am going faster when it happens.
Kapusta you are so right. The full suspension allows faster passage over much rougher terrain but don't fall off. Rock piles are favorite haunts of full suspension bikes but if you fall into one of these piles at speed good luck.
Old 01-14-20, 05:19 PM
Glidedon

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
You probably crashed because you did not get your weight far enough back to take the drop. Your center of gravity propelled you over the bars after the drop.
Old 02-15-20, 03:55 PM
RandyBaton

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
hard tail for XC full suspension for downhill. Its much harder to ride downhill without full suspension
Old 02-15-20, 05:13 PM
kq2dc7

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Glidedon
You probably crashed because you did not get your weight far enough back to take the drop. Your center of gravity propelled you over the bars after the drop.
You are exactly right. I am pretty sure that I was even sitting on the seat and I know I didn't use the dropper seat. I've been riding again finally and became aware of how little I stand while riding.
Old 02-15-20, 06:21 PM
Glidedon

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
You are exactly right. I am pretty sure that I was even sitting on the seat and I know I didn't use the dropper seat. I've been riding again finally and became aware of how little I stand while riding.
I was surprised by an unseen drop of similar height one time and managed to save it by shoving the handle bars forward, putting my rear end way out over the rear tire, purely on instinct .

Good luck, keep riding.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.