Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Alfine 11

Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Alfine 11

Old 02-14-20, 05:35 PM
The_NinthWave

Bikes: Raleigh Carlton (commuter, all-rounder) || Xprezo Wuuu 2011 (XC) || Poliquin Randonnée 90 (ongoing process) || CCM Nevada (winter commuter)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Archwhorides
[...]
In summary, I think they are cool fenders, but I recommend some pre-emptive modifications to toughen them up for your daily grinds.
Would you say it would be possible to install a frame lock on the rear wheel? The unusual frame geometry does not seem to allow that.

I am going at an LBS tomorrow to take a look at those BMC bikes, well those they have in stock.

Last edited by The_NinthWave; 02-16-20 at 01:01 PM. Reason: wrong word
Old 02-16-20, 08:39 AM
The_NinthWave

Bikes: Raleigh Carlton (commuter, all-rounder) || Xprezo Wuuu 2011 (XC) || Poliquin Randonnée 90 (ongoing process) || CCM Nevada (winter commuter)

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by The_NinthWave
Would you say it would be possible to install a frame lock on the rear wheel? The unusual frame geometry does not seem to allow that.

I am going at an LBS tomorrow to take a look at those BMC bikes, well those they have in stock.
I went at the LBS yesterday. While they did not have an AC01 nor AC02, they had and AC AMP which is similar enough (apart from the 6000 C$ price tag) to at least assess the look, build quality and sit on it. They also had a Presidio 3 that I could pedal in circle inside the shop. I could not do more because this bike was already paid for and awaiting pickup and, it is winder so I was not allowed to try it outside.

I am as much, if else more confused than before since I can not really try any of these bikes and I have to rely on other's experience which I am still gathering here, mainly from Archwhorides whom I hope won't find me harassing .

Tire clearance
The AC01 comes stock with 28 but can accept up to 32.
The AC02 comes stock with 35, up to 38.
The Presidio 3 can accomodate at least 35 but no info on the website.
The Schwalbe Marathon Winter Plus (4 rows of studs), which I have on my actual beater, start at 35, so they won't fit on the AC01. I don't have experience with the Marathon Winter with only 2 rows of studs.

Anyone here can share their experience between 30c-2 studs vs 35c-4 studs ?

Alfine vs Nexus
I browsed the internet and yet, the info I found is still contradictory to my understanding. It is said that the internals of both IGH are the same but the difference lies in the way they handle disc brakes... This is confusing since the AC02 and the Presidio 3 both have disc brakes and an Nexus ??? There must be something else different that account for the fact that cheaper bikes have Nexus while higher end bikes have Alfine...

Any details that would shed light on my understanding of Nexus vs Alfine ?

Brakes
While both the AC01 and AC02 have MT500 brakes, the Presidio 3 has U300 for which there are no hits on Google, except for Marin... OEM brakes ?

Last edited by The_NinthWave; 02-16-20 at 01:02 PM. Reason: wrong word in a sentence
Old 02-17-20, 02:40 AM
Nikkon

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
There should be something lase between Nexus & Alfine. I've tested this weekend the AC01 and AC02. The price difference here in the Netherlands is 1000 euro fix between the 2. I know there is the frame/fork and belt which are different. There might be something on the transmission too.
Both ride smooth. However, you feel the difference in the AC01. It's lighter and turns a lot easy. I didn't actually felt a big difference in the gear change, however, I've just tested them for 10 min each
Old 02-21-20, 03:23 PM
Archwhorides 

Bikes: Death machines all

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 63 Posts
Originally Posted by Nikkon
....However, you feel the difference in the AC01. It's lighter and turns a lot easy. ....
AC01 has a shorter wheelbase and a thinner hydroformed aluminum tube frame than the AC02 , which gives it a more agile ride - I like that in city streets
Old 02-21-20, 04:05 PM
Archwhorides 

Bikes: Death machines all

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 63 Posts
Originally Posted by The_NinthWave

Tire clearance
The AC01 comes stock with 28 but can accept up to 32.....

Anyone here can share their experience between 30c-2 studs vs 35c-4 studs ?.
The 2 row Schwalbe Winter spiked narrowly fits under the AC01 fender. It's a nice tire, great on plowed icy roads and paths, and slices through loose snow, but not so good on refrozen rutted ice, and turns must be taken very gingerly on ice. The 4 row spiked tire is better on rutted ice and turns, but heavier and slower.
Old 02-21-20, 08:16 PM
The_NinthWave

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Archwhorides
The 2 row Schwalbe Winter spiked narrowly fits under the AC01 fender. It's a nice tire, great on plowed icy roads and paths, and slices through loose snow, but not so good on refrozen rutted ice, and turns must be taken very gingerly on ice. The 4 row spiked tire is better on rutted ice and turns, but heavier and slower.
I am sincerely amazed. You had them all, you rode them all...

Old 02-22-20, 02:43 AM
Nikkon

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I still have to test the cube editor today and if I'm lucky the canyon commuter 8.0 today.
Old 02-22-20, 08:04 AM
The_NinthWave

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I still have to test the cube editor today and if I'm lucky the canyon commuter 8.0 today.
Grrreeeaattttt! Keep us informed!
Old 02-25-20, 04:46 AM
Nikkon

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I will. last week the shop was unable to provide me the bike for a short test. hope to get it this weekend. on the other hand the Canyon commuter 8.0 is impossible to find for tests as their business is to sell it directly to the customer. Is there anyone here who tried this bike? I'm a bit concern about the handlebar lower position.
Old 02-29-20, 04:16 PM
Nikkon

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Update: I’ve tested the cube editor today. Liked everything about it and I ended up buying it
the transmission is sublime. The frame geometry seems comfortable after 8 km. The handlebars can be 3-5 cm higher for an ideal comfortable commuter, but works as is. Weight is not ideal, however I don’t feel it in use. Original Pedals are bad. I already ordered an upgrade. In rest I’m happy with the value for money ratio
Old 03-11-20, 04:33 PM
The_NinthWave

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Update: I’ve tested the cube editor today. Liked everything about it and I ended up buying it
the transmission is sublime. The frame geometry seems comfortable after 8 km. The handlebars can be 3-5 cm higher for an ideal comfortable commuter, but works as is. Weight is not ideal, however I don’t feel it in use. Original Pedals are bad. I already ordered an upgrade. In rest I’m happy with the value for money ratio
So, what made you choose the Cube Editor above the BMC Alpenchallenge ?
Old 03-12-20, 01:44 AM
Nikkon

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I've tested both. BMC was lighter due to the carbon fork. however, I felt a bit more comfortable better on the cube & the price difference for me didn't justify the BMC coolness (as a brand)
I'm not saying the BMC is not great...I choose not to go with them this time.