Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Where Would you live ?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Where Would you live ?

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-20, 12:54 PM
Rajflyboy
Banned.

Bikes: Orbea

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 917 Post(s)
Liked 205 Times in 170 Posts
Where Would you live ?

If you could live anywhere you wanted in the USA and you wanted to live there primarily for cycling where would it be and why?
Old 02-23-20, 01:35 PM
DeadGrandpa

Bikes: Too many, yet not enough.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 492 Post(s)
Liked 311 Times in 201 Posts
Coastal NC. I go riding right out of my driveway, while I used to drive 40 minutes to get away from city and town traffic.

The good: Extremely rural, low trafficked roads. Most drivers are very courteous to cyclists. National Forest, State Parks are an hour's drive away. Mild winter with many days 50* or warmer. Very flat terrain.

The bad: Very Flat Terrain (I like climbing), but very strong headwinds can help compensate for the lack of elevation. Summer heat and humidity will push you to ride early in the day, or else head for the mountains or northern latitudes. Also, there are few bike lanes and most roads have no shoulders, though as previously mentioned, little traffic except for major highways. But I haven't seen any paved roads in the mountains that I thought were safe for cycling. I go there for gravel riding.
Old 02-23-20, 01:37 PM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1815 Post(s)
Liked 1,693 Times in 974 Posts
Sorry, but if I were choosing a location based on cycling, it would not be in the USA
Old 02-23-20, 01:56 PM
bpcyclist

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 451 Post(s)
Liked 364 Times in 227 Posts
If in the USA, it would be the Big Island for me.
Old 02-23-20, 01:56 PM
bargo68 
Dedicated Detritus Dodger

Bikes: Some mighty fine ones at that!

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 191 Post(s)
Liked 603 Times in 247 Posts
Right where I do in beautiful Fairfax, California!
I say this with extreme gratitude, because I've lived places that are not very bike friendly.
Hell, just not friendly, period.
Likes For bargo68:
Old 02-23-20, 01:59 PM
ridelikeaturtle

Bikes: Bianchi Ti Megatube; Colnago Competition; Planet-X EC-130E; Klein Pulse; Amp Research B4; Litespeed Catalyst; Trek Y11

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 600 Post(s)
Liked 478 Times in 258 Posts
Moab, UT.

Otherwise, the south of France.

The terrain, and the roads, in both places will let you cycle nearly year-round; however, the wine and food is a lot better in France.
Old 02-23-20, 03:30 PM
joeruge

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 74 Times in 41 Posts
Tucson AZ!

Year round cycling, tons of road and mountain biking options, mountains and desert rides right out your door or a short drive away....though the Big Island wouldn't be terrible!
Likes For joeruge:
Old 02-23-20, 03:41 PM
AdkMtnMonster
Airplanes, bikes, beer.

Bikes: Road bikes, mountain bikes, a cx bike, a gravel bike…

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 398 Post(s)
Liked 788 Times in 339 Posts
I would live where I live now. Great road riding right from the end of our driveway, amazing mtb trails from the back yard (and we have a little trail network on our property that links to some really great mtb riding.) The Adirondacks have some truly great road and mountain bike riding, and miles and miles of gravel, too. No on3 around- ride for hours and never see another human being... I mean, uh, unfortunately we’re full. No more room for strangers. Please stay home.
Likes For AdkMtnMonster:
Old 02-23-20, 03:50 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3221 Post(s)
Liked 2,049 Times in 1,171 Posts
Originally Posted by AdkMtnMonster
I would live where I live now. Great road riding right from the end of our driveway, amazing mtb trails from the back yard (and we have a little trail network on our property that links to some really great mtb riding.) The Adirondacks have some truly great road and mountain bike riding, and miles and miles of gravel, too. No on3 around- ride for hours and never see another human being... I mean, uh, unfortunately we’re full. No more room for strangers. Please stay home.
And trees. Lots and lots of trees. And then more trees. 🌲🌲🌲🌲🌲🌲🌲🌲🌲🌲.............
Likes For Steve B.:
Old 02-23-20, 03:58 PM
Fredo_Adagio

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked 90 Times in 53 Posts
The Denver-Boulder area seems to be home to a disproportionate number of professional triathletes, and the main Olympic training facility is in Colorado Springs. Living at altitude offers a significant training advantages.
Likes For Fredo_Adagio:
Old 02-23-20, 04:00 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
San Luis Obispo

(Hoping my kid gets in Cal Poly so I’ll have an excuse to head down there with my bike.)
Old 02-23-20, 04:00 PM
Bill in VA

Bikes: Current: 2016 Bianchi Volpe; 1973 Peugeot UO-8. Past: 1974 Fuji S-10-S with custom black Imron paint by Stinsman Racing of PA.

Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked 204 Times in 142 Posts
Very timely...

Originally Posted by DeadGrandpa
Coastal NC. I go riding right out of my driveway, while I used to drive 40 minutes to get away from city and town traffic.

The good: Extremely rural, low trafficked roads. Most drivers are very courteous to cyclists. National Forest, State Parks are an hour's drive away. Mild winter with many days 50* or warmer. Very flat terrain.

The bad: Very Flat Terrain (I like climbing), but very strong headwinds can help compensate for the lack of elevation. Summer heat and humidity will push you to ride early in the day, or else head for the mountains or northern latitudes. Also, there are few bike lanes and most roads have no shoulders, though as previously mentioned, little traffic except for major highways. But I haven't seen any paved roads in the mountains that I thought were safe for cycling. I go there for gravel riding.
Originally Posted by alcjphil
Sorry, but if I were choosing a location based on cycling, it would not be in the USA
A very, very timely topic.

I was just talking to a friend about relocating. These 2 quotes illustrate my challenges. To me, the OBX or Outer Banks of NC are heaven for cycling in the Fall and Spring, but not in the tourist season or hard winter.

The second seems to be the one that is forcing its way to the surface. I believe that is from where I live now, but from the many posts here, it is just a matter of degree.
Old 02-23-20, 04:14 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
I would choose a location that has a lot of dirt/gravel roads and singletrack trails.
Old 02-23-20, 04:23 PM
delbiker1 
Mother Nature's Son

Bikes: 2014 Orbea Avant MD30, 2004 Airborne Zeppelin TI, 2003 Lemond Poprad, 2001 Lemond Tourmalet, 2014? Soma Smoothie

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 852 Post(s)
Liked 1,433 Times in 815 Posts
I have been considering relocating out of south coastal Delaware. I have been checking out a lot of southern Tennessee areas. I think I need to make a trip to check them out in person. I like the temperate climate, reasonable housing, really good bicycling, etc.
Old 02-23-20, 04:30 PM
Bill in VA

Bikes: Current: 2016 Bianchi Volpe; 1973 Peugeot UO-8. Past: 1974 Fuji S-10-S with custom black Imron paint by Stinsman Racing of PA.

Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked 204 Times in 142 Posts
Originally Posted by wolfchild
I would choose a location that has a lot of dirt/gravel roads and singletrack trails.
Wolfchild: You are in one of the nicest places I have ever had the good fortune to ride in. I am amazed with the cold winters that Canada has some of the smoothest roads I have ever ridden on. Not a lot of traffic, but some BIG trucks that can really cast a passing gust that can blow you sideways if you are not alert.
Old 02-23-20, 05:03 PM
AdkMtnMonster
Airplanes, bikes, beer.

Originally Posted by TooOldandSlow
The Denver-Boulder area seems to be home to a disproportionate number of professional triathletes, and the main Olympic training facility is in Colorado Springs. Living at altitude offers a significant training advantages.
I have lived in both Colorado Springs and the Denver area, and I definitely wouldn’t move back there for the bike riding. See post #8. Too many people EVERYWHERE in Colorado now. The best rides (road and dirt) are completely overrun with masses of people. And motorists are a-holes to cyclists, even if you’re far right of th3 whit3 line, in a dedicated cycling lane, or out in the middle of nowhere. I’ll take peace and solitude. Cheers!
Old 02-23-20, 05:07 PM
AdkMtnMonster
Airplanes, bikes, beer.

Originally Posted by Steve B.
And trees. Lots and lots of trees. And then more trees. 🌲🌲🌲🌲🌲🌲🌲🌲🌲🌲.............

There are a few trees here and there.

Old 02-23-20, 05:11 PM
Just Mark

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Roubaix Comp, 2019 Cannondale Synopse 105 SE, 2015 Cannondale Quick 5, 2019 Specialized Fatboy

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 26 Posts
Originally Posted by Bill in VA

I was just talking to a friend about relocating. These 2 quotes illustrate my challenges. To me, the OBX or Outer Banks of NC are heaven for cycling in the Fall and Spring, but not in the tourist season or hard winter.

The second seems to be the one that is forcing its way to the surface. I believe that is from where I live now, but from the many posts here, it is just a matter of degree.
I just got home an hour ago from the OBX. I have a house down there that we spend time at when I can. I did a couple of great rides this weekend. My solution to the summer crowds is to fat bike on the beach and up on Jockey's Ridge really early. You can still road bike in the summer if it is not the weekend.
Likes For Just Mark:
Old 02-23-20, 05:14 PM
Ghazmh

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease, 2020 Seven Evergreen, 2019 Honey Allroads Ti, 2018 Seven Redsky XX, 2017 Trek Boon 7, 2014 Trek 520

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 696 Post(s)
Liked 910 Times in 487 Posts
A few miles west of Boston has great year-round cycling with short drives to other really good cycling areas. Access to cycling friendly roads right out my front door will always be a dominating factor when deciding where to relocate to.
Likes For Ghazmh:
Old 02-23-20, 05:43 PM
DeadGrandpa

Bikes: Too many, yet not enough.

Quoted: 492 Post(s)
Liked 311 Times in 201 Posts
Originally Posted by Bill in VA

Thanks for mentioning the OBX, which is just a day's cycling and a ferry ride from where I live. We plan to make it a fall excursion. For everyday rides, though, the Inner Banks have many days of relatively mild winter. We're looking to do some week long-ish trips though, so where in VA do you recommend? Shenandoah county?
Old 02-23-20, 05:53 PM
alo

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 529 Post(s)
Liked 255 Times in 185 Posts
Originally Posted by alcjphil
The US is a relatively small part of the world. There are many nice places not in the US.
Likes For alo:
Old 02-23-20, 06:30 PM
one4smoke

Bikes: 2020 Specialized Roubaix Comp SC - 2016 Specialized Roubaix SL4 - 2015 Giant Roam 2 Disc

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 639 Post(s)
Liked 338 Times in 224 Posts
Florida, for the obvious reasons.
Old 02-23-20, 06:55 PM
CAT7RDR

Bikes: 1999 Schwinn Peloton Ultegra 10, Kestrel RT-1000 Ultegra, Trek Marlin 6 Deore 29'er

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 822 Post(s)
Liked 1,955 Times in 941 Posts
Mammoth Lakes, CA would be ideal for multiple cycling disciplines. That's why many pros live and train there. I do not think boredom would ever set in if one is open to mtn biking, gravel, touring, road, triathlons, fat bikes or bike/fishing.
Old 02-23-20, 06:58 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4335 Post(s)
Liked 3,958 Times in 2,646 Posts
Somewhere out in the woods with unused but relatively smooth fire roads not a ton of massive hills and nice and quiet with plenty of land and a reasonably sized house. Also a naturally fed spring nearby would be cool especially if it ended in a nice pool.
Old 02-23-20, 07:10 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3221 Post(s)
Liked 2,049 Times in 1,171 Posts
Originally Posted by AdkMtnMonster
There are a few trees here and there.

Well, no need to rub our noses. Recall as well that -20f is not an unheard of temperatures and sometimes it goes from near that to black fly season in about a week it seems. Black flies are good though, you get in shape as you discover they can’t do 20mph.
Likes For Steve B.:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.