Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Hambini yes or no?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Hambini yes or no?

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-20, 08:07 PM
Le Mechanic

Bikes: 2020 Pivot Vault, 1983 Rossin Record, Garneau R1, Mesamods home built gravel/rain commuter bike, 1995 Barracuda A2V modified with Surley single speed dropouts, 1969 Bottecchia junkyard special fixed gear, Cervelo P4, Mesamods 650b klunker

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked 72 Times in 50 Posts
No on Hanmbini. Definitely a hard no.
Old 02-23-20, 09:34 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6218 Post(s)
Liked 4,216 Times in 2,363 Posts
Originally Posted by asgelle
Nice dodge but completely irrelevant to you original claim, sorry “question,” that it can’t be measured.
Let’s look at the issue in the context of the measurement. Let’s just say that you can’t mechanically measure a ±1nm tolerance. Certainly there are ways of measuring a nanometer but they aren’t physical. It’s not like you can get out your nanometer calipers.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 02-23-20, 10:07 PM
AnkleWork

Bikes: old clunker

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 684 Post(s)
Liked 105 Times in 83 Posts
Originally Posted by guy153
I think he has a point. If you're paying thousands for a frame that costs (according to Hambini) about $80 to make there should never be any issues with the accuracy of the BB and the HT. I think all it would take is for them to make them with the holes a bit undersized and then machine them to the final dimensions at an extra cost per frame of only a few tens of $.
What makes you think that the manufacturers don't do exactly that?
Old 02-23-20, 10:11 PM
asgelle

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 451 Times in 265 Posts
Originally Posted by cyccommute
Let’s just say that you can’t mechanically measure a ±1nm tolerance.
You’re a little late to add this disclaimer.
Old 02-23-20, 10:53 PM
woodcraft

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts
Let’s look at the issue in the context of the measurement. Let’s just say that you can’t mechanically measure a ±1nm tolerance. Certainly there are ways of measuring a nanometer but they aren’t physical. It’s not like you can get out your nanometer calipers.

I don't recall Hambini talking about nanometers.

Did he, or is this your own straw nan?
Old 02-23-20, 11:16 PM
jadocs

Bikes: Ti, Mn Cr Ni Mo Nb, Al, C

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 942 Post(s)
Liked 526 Times in 349 Posts
Originally Posted by woodcraft

Exactly, half of this thread is based on misinformation. The OP is wrong about the tolerance (.00001, etc) and some of you are just running with the misinformation. The BB Hambini talks about were so far off that it prevented cranks from spinning properly. He knows what he is talking about.
Likes For jadocs:
Old 02-24-20, 01:03 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
I take a perverse pleasure in Hambini and Luescher Teknik videos. They show an alarming number of clearly visible flaws that don't require an unobtaniumeter to measure.

Watch a few Luescher Teknik videos on bad forks and you'll never look at your carbon fiber forks quite the same way again. Yes, I've taken mine off to give them the stink-eye with a magnifying glass and penny tap. I still can't be sure my carbon fiber bikes won't asplode. I can't figure out the trend toward putting carbon fiber forks on aluminum or steel bikes. Seems like it should be the other way around -- put steel forks on carbon fiber bikes. For that matter, my old Trek 5900 fork does have a steel steerer tube and despite the carbon fiber in the forks, the entire thing feels as heavy as a chromoly steel fork.

Regarding "close enough," assuming slightly off is still safe to ride, sure, it matters to racers. Invariably, what racers have, well heeled consumers want, and, eventually, other consumers expect at bargain prices.
Likes For canklecat:
Old 02-24-20, 02:45 AM
mj0

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Hambini is an aerospace engineer that makes videos on the poor engineering and bad science in the cycling industry. It's like if Gordon Ramsey reviewed all the food items on the Burger King menu.
Likes For mj0:
Old 02-24-20, 07:50 AM
ExMachina
Senior, Senior Member

Bikes: Canyon Ultimate

Liked 12 Times in 6 Posts
At the beginning of the video he says that the frame was sent to him because the cranks weren't spinning at all.

Let me ask you all this: if you got a brand new bike and the cranks didn't go around, why would you contact Hambini and not the manufacturer? Did Canyon simply refuse to acknowledge the problem? Could this frame actually have been a factory reject that somehow got into the second hand market? Hambini never says anything about why the frame ended up with him before Canyon had a chance to respond.

More broadly, what does it even mean to judge a whole product line by what seems like a very edge case? Guarantee you that every bicycle manufacturer has let a few lemons out over the years--I would only become concerned when those lemons became acceptableto the company. Here, what would really be worrying to me would be if Canyon had said that the customer's bike here was just fine...and there's no evidence to think that

I like Hambini in general but these ranting videos of his are more about entertainment than anything else
Likes For ExMachina:
Old 02-24-20, 07:57 AM
TKJava

Bikes: Canyon Endurace, Kestrel RT1000 Ultegra

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Bonzo Banana
When you look at the component brands he recommends many of those are actual manufacturers and those he disses are those that pretty much get their products made for them. Fully controlling the quality process inhouse with your own factory seems to be the main reason they offer better quality. Of course for the end consumer it takes a little bit of research to find out which brands are actual manufacturers and which are really just importers.Companies like Shimano manufacture many of their parts but at entry level prices often use low end factories, I don't believe Canyon scans every frame in fact I believe they are a completely dishonest company who manipulates their customers and never lets the truth get in the way of a sale. There are some German companies based on great engineering and others that piggyback on that reputation who don't merit it and Canyon would be a good example of that.
Thanks for the input and I'll try to ignore it for now :-) My Canyon Endurace is less than one year old and I was (hopefully still am) in love with it. It performs well very quiet and smooth and a great ride. Not enough miles to have a problem just yet. After doing my initial research on Canyon it seemed that most people who bought them are happy. Regarding "a little bit of research" well the little bit part is relative. I had not found this guy Habini and at the time of my purchase decision he had not reviewed them. If you visit a LBS and talk about their bikes, they never ever get into who manufactures the frame. I have been in stores looking at Giant, Cannondale, Trek, Specialized and Bianchi and you really cannot get the value proposition explained e.g. why is your bike better than theirs. I find it disappointing that the company who contracts a manufacturer isn't bothering to do a QA or at the very least a 1 out of x audit. I went on a ride that passes by a LBS/Coffee shop and they had a number of Specialized road bikes in boxes just outside the building waiting to be assembled. They were marked with the country of manufacture such as Taiwan, Vietnam even Cambodia. I asked the guy about it and he said Specialized has moved the mfr. around to avoid the new tariffs. I usually do a fair amount of research before buying but some of this is pretty buried and I would imagine the person who started at the LBS 2 months ago is not aware of all of this. Of course the LBS wants to have some margin left to pay the bills.
Likes For TKJava:
Old 02-24-20, 08:03 AM
TKJava

Bikes: Canyon Endurace, Kestrel RT1000 Ultegra

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by ExMachina
More broadly, what does it even mean to judge a whole product line by what seems like a very edge case? Guarantee you that every bicycle manufacturer has let a few lemons out over the years--I would only become concerned when those lemons became acceptableto the company. Here, what would really be worrying to me would be if Canyon had said that the customer's bike here was just fine...and there's no evidence to think that

I like Hambini in general but these ranting videos of his are more about entertainment than anything else
I agree with your observations in terms of some information is left out and its entertaining. I cannot imagine how bike mfrs.could survive if they all put out bottom brackte holes in their frames that were visibly out of round. No bike shop ever told me that "all of our fill-in-the-brand-here" bikes are inspected for voids in the carbon fiber and meet strict tolerances. That said how old is your Canyon and how is it holding up?
Likes For TKJava:
Old 02-24-20, 08:31 AM
asgelle

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 451 Times in 265 Posts
Let me ask you all this: if you got a brand new bike and the cranks didn't go around, why would you contact Hambini and not the manufacturer? Did Canyon simply refuse to acknowledge the problem? Could this frame actually have been a factory reject that somehow got into the second hand market? Hambini never says anything about why the frame ended up with him before Canyon had a chance to respond.
There is a history of Hambini's claims and data not standing up to a critical review. If you watch his videos for their entertainment value that's fine, but don't think you're getting reliable information,
Likes For asgelle:
Old 02-24-20, 08:36 AM
WizardOfBoz
Generally bewildered

Bikes: 2014 Trek Domane 6.9, 1999 LeMond Zurich, 1978 Schwinn Superior

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1152 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 251 Posts
Wow, there's so many angles to this. First, I'd say that there's no set answer to "Hambini, Yes or No?". He's a young engineer, clearly bright enough, not mature enough to be introspective and charitable to those who've criticized him. Maybe he's trying to become this generation's Jobst Brandt (who was pretty prickly to judge by some of his emails). I'm a fairly well-trained and experienced engineer and I say that if Hambini touches on a subject you're interested in, and you enjoy his videos, get what you can out of them. I'd also say that on any important subject, it might behoove one to not rely on any one source.

Regarding "Quality", it's pretty important to make sure we realize that "Quality" relates to purpose. So if someone trashes a bike frame for being "low quality", what do they mean? If the framebuilder didn't smooth out certain spots on the frame finish, that's low quality if you are concerned with aesthetics. But if that frame is super strong and can handle bashing down a field of talus bearing a "Z"* sized rider, and that's what its marketed for, that same frame could be considered high quality. I think that Campy was able to charge so much for the old Nuovo Record stuff of the 70s was the aesthetics. That was part of their quality. Certainly Sun Tour came up with stuff as mechanically as good as the Campy (in the case of the canted parallelogram, better in terms of function).

Again, I'd watch Hambini, note his observations, and then check with other sources. I think that even if you disagree with him occasionally or think that he's an arrogant twit, there's useful information there, and useful ways of thinking about things.

*Z is Zeppelin sized. As opposed to "D" (dirigible) or "B" (blimp).
Likes For WizardOfBoz:
Old 02-24-20, 09:05 AM
ExMachina
Senior, Senior Member

Originally Posted by mj0
Hambini is an aerospace engineer that makes videos on the poor engineering and bad science in the cycling industry. It's like if Gordon Ramsey reviewed all the food items on the Burger King menu.
I'd go one further. It would be as if Gordon Ramsey judged Burger King by only the food that customer's threw in the bin. Hambini is not randomly sampling the output of manufacturer X, he's only analyzing those problem cases where the owner felt compelled to send it to him for help.
Likes For ExMachina:
Old 02-24-20, 09:08 AM
Wilfred Laurier
Señor Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 649 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 215 Posts
Hambini videos feature frames that have been sent to him because there was a problem discovered or suspected by the original purchaser. AFAIK, he doesn't buy randomly selected samples from bike shops to test. He is critical of the manufacturers represented in general, but it might be best to assume the criticism can at least be assumed to indicate QC departments that let a few 'bad ones' get through.

My experience from working for a company importing bike frames and parts from Asia is that there are two main issues at play - the manufacturing tolerances (which you can specify when ordering parts from manufacturers, but you pay more for tighter tolerances), and the ability of the final seller to catch and remove 'defective' items before they are sold. These two things are related in that you can order parts with looser manufacturing standards, but the percentage of defective parts will be higher. The reverse is also true - you can pay a premium for the Chinese factory to build your parts to tighter tolerances, and that puts the onus on them to catch most of the ones that don't meet the standard (and then they likely sell the 'defective' parts out the back door of the factory unbranded or as counterfeits).
Likes For Wilfred Laurier:
Old 02-24-20, 09:13 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6218 Post(s)
Liked 4,216 Times in 2,363 Posts
Originally Posted by woodcraft

I'm just going by what TKJava posted. I don't follow nor even know who Hambini is. I'm trying to point out to TKJava that the tolerances he posted are ridiculously tight. If he is error, he needs to check his information. If Hambini did post that kind of tolerance, he is asking for the absurd.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 02-24-20, 09:20 AM
smashndash

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Allez Sprint Comp

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 850 Post(s)
Liked 344 Times in 247 Posts
I'm just going by what TKJava posted. I don't follow nor even know who Hambini is. I'm trying to point out to TKJava that the tolerances he posted are ridiculously tight. If he is error, he needs to check his information. If Hambini did post that kind of tolerance, he is asking for the absurd.
Hambini didn’t. The canyon he posted was off by tenths of a mm which is lightyears when it comes to pressfit. Here’s a screenshot:

I will openly admit to being a huge Hambini fan. I drink the kool-aid and use one of his Racing bottom brackets. I noticed a big difference. One of the better upgrades for the money.

I doubt he’s making a serious amount of money from his bottom bracket “business”, considering that many of them seem to be out of stock most of the time.

Yes, Hambini deals with the crappiest of each mfg. The best case scenario for a mfg is to never have a frame show up at his door. But the floor should not be this low. It’s fine for the occasional lemon to get manufactured - every process has a yield rate. It’s not OK for it to get past QC. Nope. Not even ONE. Checking these tolerances is easy, quick and probably automatable (if that’s a word). If a company is selling this to a consumer, they are OK selling this subpar crap. Even if 95% of people have 0 issues, how would you feel if you were one of those 5% who paid full price for a high end road bike and got crap?

Last edited by smashndash; 02-24-20 at 09:31 AM.
Likes For smashndash:
Old 02-24-20, 09:44 AM
ExMachina
Senior, Senior Member

Originally Posted by smashndash
fine for the occasional lemon to get manufactured - every process has a yield rate. It’s not OK for it to get past QC. Nope. Not even ONE. Checking these tolerances is easy, quick and probably automatable (if that’s a word). If a company is selling this to a consumer, they are OK selling this subpar crap. Even if 95% of people have 0 issues, how would you feel if you were one of those 5% who paid full price for a high end road bike and got crap?
If you accept that perfection in manufacturing is not possible, then why expect perfection in QC?
Likes For ExMachina:
Old 02-24-20, 09:48 AM
jadocs

Bikes: Ti, Mn Cr Ni Mo Nb, Al, C

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 942 Post(s)
Liked 526 Times in 349 Posts
I just recently started watching his videos. I have not seen them all, but everything I have seen is logical and makes sense, it's not something that is subject to interpretation. This is also not nitpicking nanometers or manufacturer tolerances, he points out legitimate design flaws on the frames and components that were sent to him for him to troubleshoot that directly caused a problem (through poor design). There was one, I think it was SRAM that had a lip/ledge on the crank so when it was fitted, the lip contacted and applied pressure to the bearings, instead of the bearing race. This significantly interfered with free rotation and accelerated bearing wear.
Likes For jadocs:
Old 02-24-20, 09:50 AM
AnkleWork

I will openly admit to being a huge Hambini fan. I drink the kool-aid and use one of his Racing bottom brackets. I noticed a big difference. One of the better upgrades for the money.
But you didn't measure the "big difference."
This thread is just religious spam.
Old 02-24-20, 09:58 AM
smashndash

If you accept that perfection in manufacturing is not possible, then why expect perfection in QC?
For the reasons that I stated directly after. Obviously nothing is perfect, but the response when a consumer ends up with something like this should not be “oh boy. That sucks. Better luck next time!” or “You can’t possibly expect better”. It should be “this is wrong, and we will make it right”

Originally Posted by AnkleWork
But you didn't measure the "big difference."
This thread is just religious spam.
Right, because my subjective enjoyment of the bike doesn’t matter at all. I enjoy and notice my BB more than I noticed my upgrade to aero wheels, which cost me far more. Does that necessarily mean it’s saving me more watts? No. I ride my bike to have fun and that is the only measurement that should really matter. This BB rewards me emotionally for smashing on the pedals like my praxis never did. You can call it “religious” as though any sort of subjectivity automatically renders things irrelevant if that makes you feel intelligent.
Old 02-24-20, 10:07 AM
ExMachina
Senior, Senior Member

Obviously nothing is perfect, but the response when a consumer ends up with something like this should not be “oh boy. That sucks. Better luck next time!” or “You can’t possibly expect better”. It should be “this is wrong, and we will make it right”t.
And what response from Canyon are we talking about here? Did you see one? Did Hambini mention one? As far as the video goes, it sounds like the customer went directly to Hambini and not to Canyon--why? Do you think Hambini is too shy to mention that Canyon didn't want to fix the frame?

I honestly want to know why a customer with a (supposedly) new bike where the cranks would not turn, did not simply ask for a replacement form Canyon.There's got to be more to this story than is coming through in the video
Likes For ExMachina:
Old 02-24-20, 10:11 AM
smashndash

And what response from Canyon are we talking about here? Did you see one? Did Hambini mention one? As far as the video goes, it sounds like the customer went directly to Hambini and not to Canyon--why? Do you think Hambini is too shy to mention that Canyon didn't want to fix the frame?

I honestly want to know why a customer with a (supposedly) new bike where the cranks would not turn, did not simply ask for a replacement form Canyon.There's got to be more to this story than is coming through in the video
I am also curious but keep in mind that Hambini doesn’t work for free. A rational person wouldn’t send him something unless the free (warranty) option didn’t work out. Why would you assume that Hambini is somehow sinisterly brainwashing people into sending in frames to him before contacting manufacturers? That is absurd.

The frame could also be used or out of warranty. In this case, it seems like the frame was old stock.
Old 02-24-20, 10:11 AM
AnkleWork

Right, because my subjective enjoyment of the bike doesn’t matter at all.
But it matters enough for you to push someone else's talking points for them to make money off other's lack of knowledge.
Old 02-24-20, 10:19 AM
smashndash

Originally Posted by AnkleWork
But it matters enough for you to push someone else's talking points for them to make money off other's lack of knowledge.
What??? What is your claim? Seems like you just hate Hambini and anyone who claims to like him. What have I said that you disagree with?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.