Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Disc brakes are now the default on road bikes – and no one cares

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Disc brakes are now the default on road bikes – and no one cares

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-20, 10:56 AM
kingston 
Jedi Master

Bikes: https://stinkston.blogspot.com/p/my-bikes.html

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1759 Post(s)
Liked 488 Times in 313 Posts
Originally Posted by Russ Roth
...When V-brakes came out suddenly so did braces because they could apply enough leverage to a rim that the frames would flex, not an issue with cantis because they weren't capable of that much stopping power, none of them were...
Haven't had a good v-brake vs. canti argument in a few years. I'll recap for those of you who may have missed it. Cantis work better than v-brakes if you know how to set them up properly. V-brakes were designed by an accountant and a lawyer to make something cheap and idiot-proof. Just an accident that they're so ugly. I still have cantis on a bunch of bikes including my tandem and they provide perfectly adequate stopping power.
Old 02-25-20, 11:10 AM
Atlas Shrugged

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1247 Post(s)
Liked 1,322 Times in 674 Posts
Originally Posted by noodle soup
Looks are most important according to edscott.

Many people that say that in magazines and forums, have never even tried them. When properly adjusted, they aren't awful
I try to aspire to more than "aren`t awful" in my braking system. I hade a pair of those brakes and even in their day they were terrible and when compared to current technology they were one step up from my old CCM with a coaster brake.
Old 02-25-20, 11:12 AM
Rides4Beer

Bikes: SuperSix Evo | Revolt

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 733 Post(s)
Liked 815 Times in 414 Posts
Originally Posted by edscott.
Disc brakes are just plain ugly. Rim brakes can be just as good or even better in performance, for example, Campagnolo Chorus to Super Record.
Aesthetics are purely personal, but discs with integrated hoses look waaaaay better than rim brakes, imo. The discs/calipers become part of the system and look like they belong there, instead of rim brakes looking like they were an afterthought, just bolted on after the bike was designed.

Old 02-25-20, 11:20 AM
BFisher

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 767 Post(s)
Liked 1,898 Times in 889 Posts
Originally Posted by Notso_fastLane
Hadn't thought of this. My bikes are a ~2010 and 2014 model. I don't notice any issues with the cables/housing in any of the components. Have they changed enough, in your opinion, in this time frame to warrant looking at replacing brake and/or shifter cables?
2010-2014 would fall under "modern" for the purposes of my statement. I'm talking older stuff - the cables, housings, and pads that would have come with Weinmann, Mafac, and other brake systems long ago.
Likes For BFisher:
Old 02-25-20, 11:29 AM
Psimet2001 
I eat carbide.

Bikes: Lots. Van Dessel and Squid Dealer

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1325 Post(s)
Liked 1,306 Times in 560 Posts
Originally Posted by Rides4Beer
Aesthetics are purely personal, but discs with integrated hoses look waaaaay better than rim brakes, imo. The discs/calipers become part of the system and look like they belong there, instead of rim brakes looking like they were an afterthought, just bolted on after the bike was designed.
Definitely a personal choice - Disc are ugly and barbaric looking on a road bike. It's the rotors more than anything although the calipers always look like a piled up aluminum turd that got slapped on top of some nice carbon. They look better than they did for sure and we will get used to them but 100% for me they are ugly and will always stand out.

I want to ride road...not shred the gnar on some wicked trails. It's like throwing a pair of big knobbies on there as well. Of course that's also all the rage these day. Meh... back to work.

Likes For Psimet2001:
Old 02-25-20, 11:30 AM
Psimet2001 
I eat carbide.

Bikes: Lots. Van Dessel and Squid Dealer

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1325 Post(s)
Liked 1,306 Times in 560 Posts
Apparently you've never tried disc brakes.

All rim brakes are ugly, with the exception of Campagnolo C-Record.

Sexiest looking brake that never worked.

Likes For Psimet2001:
Old 02-25-20, 11:30 AM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Quoted: 1079 Post(s)
Liked 1,019 Times in 719 Posts
Originally Posted by Notso_fastLane
Hadn't thought of this. My bikes are a ~2010 and 2014 model. I don't notice any issues with the cables/housing in any of the components. Have they changed enough, in your opinion, in this time frame to warrant looking at replacing brake and/or shifter cables?
They're good to change every few years due to the slow degradation they go through from general wear and the elements, you don't realize how much you lost till you replace decade old housing. Not really new but the newer, stiffer brake housing that looks a bit like shifter housing will also help with stopping.

Pish posh, obviously it looks awful just due to those fat carbon tubes. /sarcasm
Sweet bike and without that brake track breaking up the aesthetics of the rim the wheels look better as well. Hmm, so better stopping and looking integrated into a well designed and thought out bike, just looks terrible, and now I want one.
Old 02-25-20, 11:51 AM
noodle soup

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,882 Times in 998 Posts
Originally Posted by velopig
I try to aspire to more than "aren`t awful" in my braking system. I hade a pair of those brakes and even in their day they were terrible and when compared to current technology they were one step up from my old CCM with a coaster brake.
I agree that they don't work great, but that's not important to some people. Some people also think rim brakes work as well as discs.
Old 02-25-20, 11:57 AM
Rides4Beer

Originally Posted by Psimet2001
Definitely a personal choice - Disc are ugly and barbaric looking on a road bike. It's the rotors more than anything although the calipers always look like a piled up aluminum turd that got slapped on top of some nice carbon. They look better than they did for sure and we will get used to them but 100% for me they are ugly and will always stand out.

I want to ride road...not shred the gnar on some wicked trails. It's like throwing a pair of big knobbies on there as well. Of course that's also all the rage these day. Meh... back to work.
Some rotors are pretty hideous, I'll give you that, like the Ultegra/DA rotors with the fins, bleh. I like the RT81 rotors, clean and simple design, and they work well. I have them on the gravel bike and will be putting them on the new wheels for the road bike.

Likes For Rides4Beer:
Old 02-25-20, 11:58 AM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts

Every word of this. Plus, nice bike!
Old 02-25-20, 12:05 PM
Rides4Beer

Originally Posted by Russ Roth
Pish posh, obviously it looks awful just due to those fat carbon tubes. /sarcasm
Sweet bike and without that brake track breaking up the aesthetics of the rim the wheels look better as well. Hmm, so better stopping and looking integrated into a well designed and thought out bike, just looks terrible, and now I want one.
Agreed, just horrible, what were those designers thinking?? (go get one )

Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest
Every word of this. Plus, nice bike!
Thanks, I'm loving it!!
Old 02-25-20, 12:09 PM
HTupolev

Quoted: 1974 Post(s)
Liked 1,298 Times in 630 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
Sounds pretty nefarious

I'd say it's something where the degree of nefariousness is a matter of perspective.

First, the ALR was introduced in 2016 model year, not 2015, so maybe you're referencing that.
That's why I wrote "from 2015", not "model year 2015." My Emonda ALR 5 is indeed a model-year-2016 bicycle, but I purchased it in August 2015.

Also, the revision a couple years later introduced direct mount brakes, so I wouldn't assume that everything else was the same
I wasn't saying that everything else was the same. They also tweaked the frameset's aesthetics, and added ports for partial internal routing. But there's no question that it got heavier beyond what the obvious considerations explain. For instance, direct-mount brakes typically should not add weight, since they eliminate the brake's backing plate.

and they just snuck in an alloy steerer to screw over the rim brakers. And, FWIW, I don't see an rim brake 2020 ALR 5 being offered in the US, but the frameset does have a full carbon fork/steerer, as does the disc frameset.
For the 2020 model year, the sales of the rim-brake ALR 5 were removed from the US catalog, but it still exists internationally. The standalone rim-brake frameset has a carbon steerer, but the variant used in the ALR 5 build does not.

This isn't a new tactic for Trek: in the 2016 model year, the Emonda ALR 4 had an aluminum steerer, while all other variants of the ALR used a carbon steerer. That feature trickled upwards.

Originally Posted by zacster
Are you sure about that? I'd like that to be true but I highly doubt the weight of the disc brake system is more than the weight differential of the steel vs. carbon even for the lightest steel.
I was making a cheap quip, In this particular instance there are likely other contributing factors. (But, the lightest steel is probably lighter than you think.)
Old 02-25-20, 12:24 PM
kingston 
Jedi Master

The profit maximizing strategy for the major manufacturers is to promote disk brakes so everyone thinks they have to buy a new complete bike instead of upgrading components on their old frame. Sounds like that's been happening over the past couple of years, so apparently they've been pretty successful with that campaign. A logical part of that marketing strategy would be to make the weight penalty for disk brakes seem smaller than it really is, since that would be the last thing preventing the weight-weenies from making the switch. These claims of a 200g difference are simply not credible. Plenty of easy places to hide a few hundred grams on a complete bike to make the rim brake version heavier than it needs to be. You could probably find a few hundred in published vs. actual alone. There are plenty of advantages to disk brakes, but weight isn't one of them.
Old 02-25-20, 12:46 PM
noodle soup

Originally Posted by kingston
There are plenty of advantages to disk brakes, but weight isn't one of them.
Who's claiming that discs have a weight advantage?
Old 02-25-20, 12:46 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
I don't think people are spending thousands of hard earned dollars on disc brake road bikes just because Big Bike made them available, or got some kind of serum into the water supply.
Likes For Seattle Forrest:
Old 02-25-20, 12:47 PM
Notso_fastLane

Bikes: 2011 Bent TW Elegance 2014 Carbon Strada Velomobile

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 626 Post(s)
Liked 701 Times in 418 Posts
Don't most cargo bikes and heavier pedal vehicles (like my velo) use drums? Is that just a low maintenance thing, or do drums have a higher heat sink effect so can stop more weight?
Old 02-25-20, 12:53 PM
kingston 
Jedi Master

Who's claiming that discs have a weight advantage?
Nobody. A couple of people claimed that the difference is only 200g, which is not credible unless the marketers have their thumb on the scale of the rim-brake bike.
Likes For kingston:
Old 02-25-20, 01:00 PM
noodle soup

Nobody. A couple of people claimed that the difference is only 200g, which is not credible unless the marketers have their thumb on the scale of the rim-brake bike.
The difference in my 2015 model bike is 373g. This was measured at the shop using a Park DS-1
Old 02-25-20, 01:01 PM
woodcraft

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts
Originally Posted by Psimet2001

Old 02-25-20, 01:02 PM
Rides4Beer

I don't think people are spending thousands of hard earned dollars on disc brake road bikes just because Big Bike made them available, or got some kind of serum into the water supply.
Nope, for me it was one of those "you don't know until you know" kind of things. I was getting by ok on my rim brakes (had a few scary moments, but never died), until I got my gravel bike with hydraulic discs, and I was sold pretty much instantly. For me, and the riding I do, discs are absolutely better, and I will never go back.
Old 02-25-20, 01:11 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18403 Post(s)
Liked 15,495 Times in 7,317 Posts
Keep telling yourself that. Years ago, when I was about to order my fly, custom ti ride, I caught Big Bike trying roofie my drink. I am still riding rim brakes to this day.
Old 02-25-20, 01:25 PM
DaveSSS 

Bikes: Cinelli superstar disc, two Yoeleo R12

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1097 Post(s)
Liked 559 Times in 446 Posts
A lot of brands now offer mostly disc brakes equipped bikes, in prebuilt form, so it's not like you have much choice if you want a prebuilt rim brake bike. Trek offers a very few rim brake bikes.
Old 02-25-20, 01:27 PM
kingston 
Jedi Master

The difference in my 2015 model bike is 373g. This was measured at the shop using a Park DS-1
I don't doubt anyone's ability to weigh two things and compare the difference. I'm skeptical when the difference is too small that the rim brake bike was as light as it could have been for the same money as the disk bike.
Old 02-25-20, 01:34 PM
noodle soup

I don't doubt anyone's ability to weigh two things and compare the difference. I'm skeptical when the difference is too small that the rim brake bike was as light as it could have been for the same money as the disk bike.
the thing about the weight difference is that I don't give a **** about the weight, if it's a pound or less. The performance difference is huge, and my CF rims are no longer a consumable.
Old 02-25-20, 01:38 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8264 Post(s)
Liked 9,000 Times in 4,456 Posts
. (But, the lightest steel is probably lighter than you think.)
I think a light steel frame could be close to 3 pounds in a bigger size. My steel frame Gunnar (62cm, OX Platinum) is about 4 pounds.

Maybe some stainless could get lower than 3, IDK.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.