Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Thinking of trading my Roll

Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Old 01-28-20, 08:14 PM
OldCruiser

Bikes: Most of my bikes are Single Speed Conversions

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 266 Post(s)
Liked 3,044 Times in 1,012 Posts

Anybody ever trade in a bike at a dealer ?
A couple of months ago , I was having trouble with my knees hurting after riding my Specialized Roll , and my crank forward cruiser bikes . I tried adjusting the saddle up and down , but still experienced some knee pain .
Lately , I’ve been riding my old Schwinn Crisscross Hybrid and the knee pain was about 90% gone .
Today I decided to give the Roll a spin . After just a couple miles my knees started bothering me again and I’m sitting here tonight with them aching . I finished up my ride on my Rockhopper.
I think it’s time to say goodbye to the Roll . And maybe the Rockhopper too .
I’m thinking of pulling all of my accessories and putting the Roll and Rockhopper back to factory and taking them to my Specialized dealer and trading them in on a Sirrus .

I’d like to duplicate the fit of my old Schwinn on a new Hybrid , so I’ll have to raise the handlebars on the Sirrus .
I think the Sirrus will be best for me as a daily rider .

Last edited by OldCruiser; 01-28-20 at 09:45 PM.
Likes For OldCruiser:
Old 01-28-20, 11:07 PM
katsup

Bikes: 1995 ParkPre Pro 825 2021 Soma Fog Cutter v2 and 2021 Cotic SolarisMax

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 606 Post(s)
Liked 557 Times in 317 Posts
Why not use the crisscross as a daily rider?
Likes For katsup:
Old 01-29-20, 06:49 AM
hokiefyd 

Bikes: More bikes than riders

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 749 Times in 559 Posts
Originally Posted by kirby999
Anybody ever trade in a bike at a dealer ?
Despite the existence of the Bicycle Blue Book website, there really isn't a lot of reliable material regarding the value of used bikes. It's very dependent on your local market. Most bike shops will aim to offer you about half of what they think they can get for the bike. If they think they can sell it for $300, they may offer you $150. You will very likely be able to sell it locally through Craigslist, Facebook Marketplace, etc., and not lose as much money. If you don't have those resources, if your local bike market isn't that strong, or if you just don't want the hassle, selling it to your local bike shop may appeal to you.
Old 01-29-20, 07:46 AM
freeranger

Bikes: 06 Lemond Reno, 98 GT Timberline mtn.bike

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 418 Post(s)
Liked 688 Times in 429 Posts
Don't know the seatpost would allow, but have you tried reversing the seatpost so the seat would be closer to the bars, and eliminate some of the "crank forward" geometry?
Old 01-29-20, 09:17 AM
OldCruiser

Originally Posted by hokiefyd
Despite the existence of the Bicycle Blue Book website, there really isn't a lot of reliable material regarding the value of used bikes. It's very dependent on your local market. Most bike shops will aim to offer you about half of what they think they can get for the bike. If they think they can sell it for $300, they may offer you $150. You will very likely be able to sell it locally through Craigslist, Facebook Marketplace, etc., and not lose as much money. If you don't have those resources, if your local bike market isn't that strong, or if you just don't want the hassle, selling it to your local bike shop may appeal to you.
My Specialized dealer has a trade in calculator on their website . Best I could hope for according to that would be about half what I paid for the bikes with them only six months old .
Old 01-29-20, 09:18 AM
OldCruiser

Originally Posted by freeranger
Don't know the seatpost would allow, but have you tried reversing the seatpost so the seat would be closer to the bars, and eliminate some of the "crank forward" geometry?
I’ll have to give that a try .
Old 01-29-20, 09:57 AM
uriwvu

Bikes: Old: 1968 Schwinn Stingray, 1974 Raleigh 3 Speed, 1978 Kabuki 10 speed, 1997 GT Ricochet. New: 2021Verve 3 Disc2021 Trek FX1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 7 Posts
My Specialized dealer has a trade in calculator on their website . Best I could hope for according to that would be about half what I paid for the bikes with them only six months old .
If you don’t need the money right away, you’ll get much more money for your bike if you sell it privately. Case in point, I sold my 2019 Marin San Rafael DS2 (purchased new in June 2019 for $530 plus tax; Retails for $630) on Facebook marketplace a few weeks ago and got $500 for it. It was in excellent condition though it did have over 600 miles on it. The bicycle blue book trade in value maxed out at $200. To be fair, my Marin was listed on Facebook marketplace, and craigslist, beginning in October 2019, so it was a good three months plus before I sold it. Prior to the sale, I had only received a couple of offers, and none more than $400. I refused to purchase a new bike (Trek Verve 3) until I sold my current one. If you have the time, private sale is definitely the way to go.
Old 01-29-20, 12:30 PM
OldCruiser

I’d like to keep both bikes if I can get them to where I can ride them without pain .
Im going to try reversing the seat post on the Roll .
The Rockhopper I bought because I love my old Hardrock and wanted an updated version and figured I could raise the bars and Swap out the tires for some Maxxis Hookworms and be set .
I wound up having to cut 2” off the seatpost to get The seat low enough my legs weren’t straight when at the low point peddling . With the 29” wheels it still feels like I’m having to climb up onto the bike .
I have a new set of 700 wheels I’d bought for the Schwinn that are disc compatible that I could mount some 700x40 tires and use on the Rockhopper. I think that should lower the height of the bike some , maybe enough to where I don’t feel like I’m sitting on a perch riding .
I hate to loose that much money on the bikes .
Old 01-29-20, 03:24 PM
OldCruiser

Originally Posted by freeranger
Well I just got back from a cold 4.1 mile ride around the neighborhood on the Roll
I got to looking at the seat and noticed I had it all the way back , so I adjusted forward close to two inches . I had to adjust the handlebars forward to increase the reach so it felt comfortable, but the good news is my knees are ok with this setup.
Going to need to try it a few times before I’m convinced it’s going to be ok , but right now it’s looking good .
Thanks for the advise !
Old 01-29-20, 04:24 PM
freeranger

Bikes: 06 Lemond Reno, 98 GT Timberline mtn.bike

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 418 Post(s)
Liked 688 Times in 429 Posts
Glad the adjustment helped on the Roll--sure is cheaper than losing money selling or trading the bike! Maybe try it on the Rockhopper also?
Likes For freeranger:
Old 01-31-20, 10:50 PM
OldCruiser

For now , I’ve decided to keep the Roll and the Rockhopper. I will continue to work on the Rockhopper as a hybrid.
I’ve updated both my Schwinn Crisscross and Crosscut . The Crosscut is now a smooth shifting 3x8 with new Shimano V-Brakes . Rides and feels like a new bike .

BTW , in case anyone is interested . I tried some 26” wheels with 26x2.5” Maxxis Hookworms on my 29” Rockhopper the other day , just out of curiosity. Trying to lower the overall feel of the bike . Which it did and riding paved paths and street riding I didn’t see any problem with the pedal height . It would have worked except the handling got squirrelly. Front end was very twitchy . Even tried a 29 up front and 26 in the rear . That felt weird .
so I guess it’ll stay a 29er for now . It’s great for running over curbs and I don’t have to worry about hanging up on the road gutter where the curb and road meet . The 2.5” Maxxis turn the Rockhopper into Jeep

Last edited by OldCruiser; 01-31-20 at 11:05 PM.
Likes For OldCruiser:
Old 02-12-20, 11:32 AM
wyd

Bikes: 2018 Specialized Roll Elite

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 62 Times in 30 Posts
I'm surprised that The Roll hurts your knees when you ride. Do you have a lot of hills in your area? Cool that you moved the seat forward and that seemed to help your knees. Good thing you don't have an Electra Townie as they are a lot more foot forward than the Rolls are.
Likes For wyd:
Old 02-25-20, 05:48 PM
OldCruiser

I Changed a few things on my Roll today . Removed most of the red accessories, going “ Back To Black “ . Except the saddle , it an aged Brooks B-67 . I’m hoping it’ll get a little darker the more I use it and rub some Proofide on it once the weather starts warming up . .after .

Likes For OldCruiser:
Old 03-03-20, 10:26 AM
wyd

Bikes: 2018 Specialized Roll Elite

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 62 Times in 30 Posts
kirby999 great looking Roll. The Brooks saddle is a nice touch as the color looks great on your black bike.
Old 03-06-20, 11:08 AM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Location: Arcata, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way

Bikes: 1984 Araya MB 261, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 1993 Hard Rock Ultra, 1994 Trek Multitrack 750, 1995 Trek Singletrack 930

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1524 Post(s)
Liked 1,513 Times in 906 Posts
Obviously your RockHopper is too new. Have you thought about getting a bike fitting?

Pretty Purple Princess Penelope, never quite finished.

Also, this might help explain some of your handling issues.

Likes For Korina:
Old 03-07-20, 06:10 AM
OldCruiser

Originally Posted by Korina
Obviously your RockHopper is too new. Have you thought about getting a bike fitting?

Pretty Purple Princess Penelope, never quite finished.

Also, this might help explain some of your handling issues.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l7D1XhoZ90E&t=1s
The Rockhopper is new . It’s a 2020 . I bought it because I love my old Hardrock ( similar to your Rockhopper) so much and wanted a new bike that was similar. WRONG ! The new mountain bikes are a totally different bike . I don’t see how anyone could comfortably ride a new mountain bike . I guess they gotten too specific in their function.
Likes For OldCruiser:
Old 03-08-20, 01:45 PM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Location: Arcata, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way

Bikes: 1984 Araya MB 261, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 1993 Hard Rock Ultra, 1994 Trek Multitrack 750, 1995 Trek Singletrack 930

The new mountain bikes are a totally different bike . I don’t see how anyone could comfortably ride a new mountain bike . I guess they gotten too specific in their function.
We are in the age of specialization.

Pics of your old HardRock?
Old 03-08-20, 02:12 PM
OldCruiser

We are in the age of specialization.

Pics of your old HardRock?
Here she is . This is before I completed my brake swap , cantis over to V-Brakes . I plan on swapping out the cassette and chain soon . I got s3veral projects going on at the same time , that are waiting on several days of dry warm weather .
Likes For OldCruiser:
Old 03-08-20, 06:32 PM
OldCruiser

And an update on my Specialized Roll .
I swapped out my chainring from a 42 tooth to a 36 tooth a few days ago.
Took it on a 10.6 mile ride today . .
The Roll is now geared low enough to take on the hills around where I live.

Likes For OldCruiser:
Old 03-09-20, 11:18 AM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Here she is . This is before I completed my brake swap , cantis over to V-Brakes . I plan on swapping out the cassette and chain soon . I got s3veral projects going on at the same time , that are waiting on several days of dry warm weather .
Sweet. Love the blue. May I ask why you're going with V's over cantis?
Old 03-09-20, 03:43 PM
OldCruiser

Sweet. Love the blue. May I ask why you're going with V's over cantis?
V-brakes take less grip to operate and for me , stop better .
I have arthritis in both hands especially my left and V-brake are so much easier for me to use .
I bought one front brake to begin with to test them out and I couldn’t believe the difference.
with the cantilever brakes , I’d tried everything to get them to work better . New cables , new levers , kool stop brake pads . Greasing the arms . Even cleaning the wheels with a green scrub pad .
The Cantis still we’re hard to pull and the bike would slow to a stop . Now I can two finger lockup the wheels .
Likes For OldCruiser:
Old 03-09-20, 05:38 PM
hokiefyd 

Bikes: More bikes than riders

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 749 Times in 559 Posts
The Cantis still we’re hard to pull and the bike would slow to a stop . Now I can two finger lockup the wheels .
You should be able to do that with traditional cantilever brakes, too. My 750 has Tektro CR510 cantilevers and they're the lightest-feeling brakes I own, with the possible exception of the hydraulic discs on my primary bike. I suspect something else may have been wrong with your specific situation, such as perhaps the geometry of the straddle cable.

(Which, by the way, is one of the advantages of linear pull brakes, and part of the reason why traditional cantilever brakes almost fell off the map, at least on new bikes. No need for straddle cables!)
Old 03-09-20, 05:49 PM
OldCruiser

Originally Posted by hokiefyd
You should be able to do that with traditional cantilever brakes, too. My 750 has Tektro CR510 cantilevers and they're the lightest-feeling brakes I own, with the possible exception of the hydraulic discs on my primary bike. I suspect something else may have been wrong with your specific situation, such as perhaps the geometry of the straddle cable.

(Which, by the way, is one of the advantages of linear pull brakes, and part of the reason why traditional cantilever brakes almost fell off the map, at least on new bikes. No need for straddle cables!)
I’m not going to disagree with you , but on three of my bikes I had the same problem and with a switch over to V-brakes cured my problems.
i could never get the cantis to work for me .

Last edited by OldCruiser; 03-09-20 at 06:12 PM.
Old 03-10-20, 08:56 AM
Korina
Happy banana slug

V-brakes take less grip to operate and for me , stop better .
I have arthritis in both hands especially my left and V-brake are so much easier for me to use .
I bought one front brake to begin with to test them out and I couldn’t believe the difference.
with the cantilever brakes , I’d tried everything to get them to work better . New cables , new levers , kool stop brake pads . Greasing the arms . Even cleaning the wheels with a green scrub pad .
I'm glad they work for you. But please don't lock up your wheels, bad things happen.
Likes For Korina:
Old 03-10-20, 11:42 AM
OldCruiser

I'm glad they work for you. But please don't lock up your wheels, bad things happen.
no need to worry.
just using that to show how much better my brakes are now .
. I don’t go around locking up my wheels when braking.
Likes For OldCruiser:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.