Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Riding in the rain yesterday defeated me

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 03-13-20, 01:41 AM
RMoudatir

Bikes: Otso Warakin, 2014 Fuji Sportif 1.4 disc

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 7 Posts

I hardly ride in the rain but yesterday I did a 2.5 hour ride, it was pouring pretty hard but just 55°F and a few minutes into the ride my softshell jacket got soaked through and an hour later I am shivering uncontrollably like never in my life. My whole body felt so stiff and tired from shivering and I had a hard time using my hands from the stiffness.

This ride was miserable, I don't know how you guys ride in rain all year long. I'll take freezing temperatures any day.

Last edited by RMoudatir; 03-13-20 at 09:46 AM.
Likes For RMoudatir:
Old 03-13-20, 03:17 AM
Kabuki12

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 872 Post(s)
Liked 2,269 Times in 1,272 Posts
I used to ride in the rain back when I was in my twenties. My wife and I lived on a sail boat in Channel Islands Harbor for twelve years and did not drive a car for about two years. It could be brutal, but we were young and it was our life style. We had really good foul weather gear but still the wet would get to me. Now in my mid sixties , I live in an area where it is sunny and dry most of the time and have no desire to ride on rainy days. Joe
Likes For Kabuki12:
Old 03-13-20, 03:23 AM
jgwilliams

Bikes: Dolan Tuono 105 Di2, custom built 653 and 531 bikes with frames by Barry Witcomb, Sonder Dial XT mountain bike and a Brompton folding bike.

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 298 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 100 Posts
These days I'm pretty much an all weather cyclist. I haven't worried too much about rain until recently but this February was the wettest on record over here and I got thoroughly drenched three times. The first time I didn't have any waterproofs with me and, as you said, got really cold. The second time I had some waterproof over-trousers (sorry, pants) with me but I didn't think it was going to be that bad. By the time I realised it was raining really hard and the road had turned in to a river it was too late ... and I got really, really cold AGAIN! By the third time I'd learned my lesson and pulled on my waterproof over-trousers before I left. It made a huge difference. I have a windproof jacket that actually keeps the water out pretty well so the top half of me was fine. My tights, however, are useless in anything other than the slightest shower so the waterproofs made a huge difference. In addition, they covered the tops of my overshoes so I was getting very little water in the shoes. The result was that I arrived home more-or-less warm and dry. I now carry those over-trousers whenever I think it's likely to rain.
Old 03-13-20, 04:56 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,095 Times in 5,053 Posts
Originally Posted by RMoudatir
I hardly ride in the rain but today I did a 2.5 hour ride, it was pouring pretty hard but just 55°F and a few minutes into the ride my softshell jacket got soaked through and an hour later I am shivering uncontrollably like never in my life. My whole body felt so stiff and tired from shivering and I had a hard time using my hands from the stiffness.

This ride was miserable, I don't know how you guys ride in rain all year long. I'll take freezing temperatures any day.

That was hypothermia. You actually reduced your core temp with the evaporating water.

If you're going to ride in the rain, invest in a poncho.
Old 03-13-20, 05:09 AM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
Originally Posted by RMoudatir
For me when it's cold and raining it's only commuting rides and the "how" is that it's only 30-40 minutes. I stay warm enough from the effort even soaked (I have no real rain gear), for that short a time, but an hour or more is a different story.
Likes For wphamilton:
Old 03-13-20, 05:32 AM
subgrade

Bikes: Focus Crater Lake

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 391 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 204 Posts
The same as above, down to the detail.
Old 03-13-20, 05:37 AM
noimagination

Quoted: 365 Post(s)
Liked 418 Times in 247 Posts
I agree with you. I've ridden in temperatures down to the single digits °F (-10 to -20°C), and I've skied (and sledded, walked to school, delivered papers...) in weather down to the -30s °F, but the coldest I've ever been was during a ride where I got caught in heavy rain with temperatures in the low 40's °F without a wind barrier layer. Like you, I finally made it home and got into bed with every blanket we owned, shivering violently for over half an hour.
Old 03-13-20, 06:58 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Originally Posted by noimagination
I agree with you. I've ridden in temperatures down to the single digits °F (-10 to -20°C), and I've skied (and sledded, walked to school, delivered papers...) in weather down to the -30s °F, but the coldest I've ever been was during a ride where I got caught in heavy rain with temperatures in the low 40's °F without a wind barrier layer. Like you, I finally made it home and got into bed with every blanket we owned, shivering violently for over half an hour.
I think people grossly underestimate how much body heat they lose to wind evaporating water even at relatively warm temperatures.
It can actually be dangerous as your level of consciousness starts to be impaired.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 03-13-20, 07:27 AM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
I don't ride in the rain. My glasses will get all wet and I won't be able to see where I'm going.
Old 03-13-20, 07:30 AM
CAT7RDR

Bikes: 1999 Schwinn Peloton Ultegra 10, Kestrel RT-1000 Ultegra, Trek Marlin 6 Deore 29'er

Quoted: 821 Post(s)
Liked 1,955 Times in 941 Posts
I am strongly considering taking my MTB out for a spell today on the local roads. Done it before. Problem is I hate having to do a thorough cleaning afterwards. The bike, clothes, towels and me. An hour ride turns into two hours of work.
Likes For CAT7RDR:
Old 03-13-20, 07:39 AM
Flip Flop Rider

Bikes: 2010 Fuji Absolute 3.0 1994 Trek 850

Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Liked 555 Times in 322 Posts
I avoid it
Likes For Flip Flop Rider:
Old 03-13-20, 07:40 AM
DaveSSS 

Bikes: Cinelli superstar disc, two Yoeleo R12

Quoted: 1097 Post(s)
Liked 559 Times in 446 Posts
I deliberately rode in the rain once, almost 30 years ago. That was enough for me. I've also been caught in a rain with substantial lightening. No thank you.
Likes For DaveSSS:
Old 03-13-20, 07:58 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18396 Post(s)
Liked 15,485 Times in 7,316 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
I think people grossly underestimate how much body heat they lose to wind evaporating water even at relatively warm temperatures.
It can actually be dangerous as your level of consciousness starts to be impaired.
Been there. Done that. During a tour I got caught at 7,800 feet with a crappy rain shell. (I got a case of weight weenie fever when packing the day before I left for the trip.) Started to rain heavily just as I started the long descent. Temperature felt like the low 40s. Maybe even upper 30s. Fortunately, much of the descent was a pedaling descent. I had to hammer as hard as I could to generate body heat. My hands were like blocks of ice. Fortunately, I didn't need to use the brakes. I could have ridden passed a dozen moose in the creek next to me and never would have seen them. My only objective was getting off the mountain. Looked forward to the few points where the road ticked up so I could generate even more heat. By the time I got down into town, where it was dry, I had a headache was somewhat confused. My decision making was definitely impaired. Finally remembered where in town the local motel was and made it there. Took me a long time to raise my core temperature even with the heat blasting and taking a hot bath. Walked to dinner a couple of hours later and was still chilled and somewhat lethargic thinking-wise.

I'll never again go into a situation like that without adequate rain gear. I am planning to ride that same pass again this June. Hope the weather is nicer.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 03-13-20, 08:27 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by indyfabz
Been there. Done that. During a tour I got caught at 7,800 feet with a crappy rain shell. (I got a case of weight weenie fever when packing the day before I left for the trip.) Started to rain heavily just as I started the long descent. Temperature felt like the low 40s. Maybe even upper 30s. Fortunately, much of the descent was a pedaling descent. I had to hammer as hard as I could to generate body heat. My hands were like blocks of ice. Fortunately, I didn't need to use the brakes. I could have ridden passed a dozen moose in the creek next to me and never would have seen them. My only objective was getting off the mountain. Looked forward to the few points where the road ticked up so I could generate even more heat. By the time I got down into town, where it was dry, I had a headache was somewhat confused. My decision making was definitely impaired. Finally remembered where in town the local motel was and made it there. Took me a long time to raise my core temperature even with the heat blasting and taking a hot bath. Walked to dinner a couple of hours later and was still chilled and somewhat lethargic thinking-wise.

I'll never again go into a situation like that without adequate rain gear. I am planning to ride that same pass again this June. Hope the weather is nicer.
Godspeed, Indyfabz, godspeed!
Old 03-13-20, 08:38 AM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts
It's hard to believe but you can get hypothermia even in summer if the rain is very cold. The first sign of hypothermia is uncontrollable shivering. When the shivering stops and you're still out in the rain or cold, then you are in VERY SERIOUS trouble.

Cold rain is why I carry a waterproof/windproof jacket and pants and full-finger gloves if it looks like it's going to rain sometime on my ride. It's amazing how quickly hypothermia can strike in a cold rain even in summer.

Glad the OP is okay.

Cheers
Likes For Miele Man:
Old 03-13-20, 08:41 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18396 Post(s)
Liked 15,485 Times in 7,316 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
Godspeed, Indyfabz, godspeed!
There's a purdy waterfall heading down south. I stopped, snapped one photo, and kept moving.

Not my photo:

Likes For indyfabz:
Old 03-13-20, 08:46 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by Miele Man
It's hard to believe but you can get hypothermia even in summer if the rain is very cold. The first sign of hypothermia is uncontrollable shivering. When the shivering stops and you're still out in the rain or cold, then you are in VERY SERIOUS trouble.

Cold rain is why I carry a waterproof/windproof jacket and pants and full-finger gloves if it looks like it's going to rain sometime on my ride. It's amazing how quickly hypothermia can strike in a cold rain even in summer.

Glad the OP is okay.

Cheers

I'm not going to look it up now, but wet people have died from hypothermia at amazingly warm air temperatures just from the effects of wind and that's without the added airflow of bicycling.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 03-13-20, 09:16 AM
Notso_fastLane

Bikes: 2011 Bent TW Elegance 2014 Carbon Strada Velomobile

Quoted: 626 Post(s)
Liked 701 Times in 418 Posts
This is why proper gear is important. It need not be expensive, but it needs to be appropriate. I lived and commuted in Seattle for 3 years. There were very few days I didn't ride my bike to work, and that was only if there was actual potential for ice being present on the roads.

Cold and wet conditions are when layers are important. The air between the layers provides much of the needed insulation and reduces loss of body heat. Having a breathable, but not porous, outer shell is key, otherwise the cold water itself becomes your biggest enemy.
Likes For Notso_fastLane:
Old 03-13-20, 09:36 AM
mcours2006

Bikes: ...a few.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 2010 Post(s)
Liked 408 Times in 234 Posts
I wouldn't deliberately go out to ride in the rain. I was caught in the rain last summer in a 120-km ride with friends. Air temp was in the mid-25's Celcius, but when you're wet it feels really cold at speed.

I commute in the rain. But that's only a 20-km ride. I have a change of clothes and a dryer at work. And it's usually not raining on the way home. I wouldn't ride for fun in the rain. It'd be no fun at all.
Old 03-13-20, 09:50 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2594 Post(s)
Liked 1,922 Times in 1,206 Posts
Warm rain is fun -- at 85F or so, it's free sweat, so you don't have to concentrate on drinking so much.

Cold rain can be miserable. But properly clothed, it's tolerable, if not pleasurable. I did a 300k (IIRC) brevet where it rained for the first 150 km, and was down near freezing. Base layer, warm jersey, waterproof jacket, polypro skull cap and tights were enough to keep me going. After the first half, the sun came out, it warmed up, and the rest of the ride was enjoyable.

Keys were probably the core clothing, rain jacket, and the polypro that dried quickly every time the rain let up.
Likes For pdlamb:
Old 03-13-20, 10:50 AM
bpcyclist

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 451 Post(s)
Liked 364 Times in 227 Posts
Here in one of the two rain capitals of the USA, it rains about 8 months a year. It does occasionally get into the high 20s, but not often, and when it does it is almost always dry. I find those days a cakewalk. We have had zero snow so far this winter. Could snow this weekend, though.

All that said, we have many, many days of lowish 40s/high 30s and lots of rain. Very common. It is just unbelieveably cold when it is like this, esp. if it is windy. The key for me is to try to stay as dry as possible wiht the appropriate gear, as mentioned above. I find feet particularly important--I wear some Showers Pass waterproof socks that do help a bit. Sadly, though, if I am out for more than 2 hours or so, it is just super hard to ultimately win the warmth war. Even if you think you are warm enough, you may discover when you return home that you were, in fact, not. I have had the experience of not coming in soon enough and then shivering--inside--for a couple of hours. More than once. I misjudged how cold I really was.

So, this type of rain plus high 30s/low 40s can be quite dangerous, in my experience. I really don't generally recommend people to be out in it for more than maybe 2ish hours or so, unless they have killer rain gear and some prior experience successfully doing it in that gear.

Weather is weather. You get used to what you have where you live, usually.People in Phoenix hike Camelback in July all the time. People on Oahu know when it is dangerous to be out on the water. They know how to do it and not die. Like most things in life, it seems like local people are the go-to folks on what is safe and what is not wherever you happen to be.
Old 03-13-20, 10:52 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6934 Post(s)
Liked 10,938 Times in 4,673 Posts
I don't mind riding in the rain so much, but I hate spending an hour to clean up the bike afterwards.
Old 03-13-20, 11:07 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2594 Post(s)
Liked 1,922 Times in 1,206 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote
I don't mind riding in the rain so much, but I hate spending an hour to clean up the bike afterwards.
Look up Pactour or maybe Lon Haldeman's bike wash on youtube. No more than 15 minutes, half of which is finding the bucket and the right brush and then putting them away when you're done. (Second bike is only 5 minutes extra, FWIW.)
Old 03-13-20, 12:16 PM
EviLDORK

Bikes: Surly Disc Trucker, Canondale Synapse, Canondale Touring 1, Salsa Mukluk, Masi Uno, Trek 850

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 15 Posts
Raincoats can be unreliable. It's good to have a contingency plan in case your raincoat fails as it's impossible to gauge how long the water resistance will last under any given rainfall until it's too late. Even good coats can unexpectedly wear out over time.
Old 03-13-20, 02:04 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3221 Post(s)
Liked 2,043 Times in 1,169 Posts
Originally Posted by EviLDORK
Raincoats can be unreliable. It's good to have a contingency plan in case your raincoat fails as it's impossible to gauge how long the water resistance will last under any given rainfall until it's too late. Even good coats can unexpectedly wear out over time.
Well, some maybe but there are good ones. I rode the Bike Tour of Colorado when it rained every day, used a Showers Pass jacket, it was pretty good. It kept the wind chill tolerable.

When I did a lot of backpacking I was taught that 55 was the temp. to watch out for as you don’t think it’s cold but if you get wet and have a 12-15 mph wind chill, hypothermia can set in and you don’t expect it.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.