Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

E bicycle boom

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-20, 07:01 PM
Rajflyboy
Banned.

Bikes: Orbea

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 917 Post(s)
Liked 205 Times in 170 Posts
E bicycle boom

Just got back from Daytona (motorcycle bike week)

I was shocked to see so many E bicycles rolling around Daytona and also up and down the area beaches and roads. Lots of young and old alike enjoying good times on a bicycle.

This E bike thing must be growing faster than I had realized.
Old 03-12-20, 07:09 PM
Bigbus
Very Senior Member

Bikes: Giant Quasar & Fuji Roubaix

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 413 Post(s)
Liked 343 Times in 244 Posts
I've been seeing more of them on the roads here too. Mostly in the resort areas along the coast and mostly elderly people that need the extra oomph.
Old 03-12-20, 07:31 PM
Rajflyboy
Banned.

Bikes: Orbea

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 917 Post(s)
Liked 205 Times in 170 Posts
Originally Posted by Bigbus
I've been seeing more of them on the roads here too. Mostly in the resort areas along the coast and mostly elderly people that need the extra oomph.
Hopefully it truly is helping more people ride who maybe thought they could not ride before the e bicycle came along.
Likes For Rajflyboy:
Old 03-12-20, 07:39 PM
themp

Bikes: Specialized Crosstrail

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 44 Posts
Yesterday I saw three on the MUP. Older couple with their daughter who pulled her daughter in a child trailer. They had these:

https://www.greenbikeusa.com/products/gb750mag

The couple had an RV, so the folding feature was a requirement for storage. They had just gone around 18 miles on a pretty good grade higher and their batteries were down to 80%. My take away was that they would not have been able to do this on a non-electric bicycle. So, the electric bicycle has opened up cycling for more people. I also said to myself that when I get to the point(old age) where pedaling is a problem, the electric bicycle might be an option.
Likes For themp:
Old 03-12-20, 08:38 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4347 Post(s)
Liked 3,983 Times in 2,661 Posts
E-bikes are a huge growing segment of the market and those who haven't tried them or at least haven't tried anything of quality and are hating are just deciding to go completely in reverse until the transmission blows and they are stuck. E-bikes are awesome for so many different reasons and I know a lot of folks who wouldn't be on a bike if it weren't for e-bikes for a whole host of reasons.
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 03-12-20, 08:54 PM
alloo

Bikes: 2022 Priority Coast, 2022 Priority Current

Quoted: 175 Post(s)
Liked 137 Times in 99 Posts
I ride an ebike to and from work. I usually ride below the speed limit. Some riders get aggravated, that's on them not me.
Likes For alloo:
Old 03-12-20, 09:25 PM
HerrKaLeun

Bikes: Giant Toughroad SLR1 and Motobecane Sturgis NX

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 900 Post(s)
Liked 231 Times in 168 Posts
There is a recent pandemic of what looks like Amazon ebikes. Sort of 24" fatbikes, and what looks like 16" bikes with adults. Often riding on the road with throttle in a manic manner. Or fast on bikepaths without anouncing themselves. I have to get used to look more behind me before oassing someone. One isn't used to 25mph or faster bikes on MUPs

I guess the DUI crowd found a means of transportation. Won't be long before kids and others get hurt.

I avoid roads to survive, and now ebikes ruin bike paths as well. Last year I didn't care about ebikes and thought more butts on bikes is good. But seeing this menace makes me rethink.
Likes For HerrKaLeun:
Old 03-12-20, 11:08 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,105 Times in 1,369 Posts
Would you call it an epidemic, a pandemic, or endemic?
Genesis 49:16-17
Likes For Darth Lefty:
Old 03-13-20, 07:42 AM
Flip Flop Rider

Bikes: 2010 Fuji Absolute 3.0 1994 Trek 850

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Liked 555 Times in 322 Posts
see a lot more motorized skateboards too. not sure if this is a good thing, but it's progress I guess
Old 03-13-20, 07:44 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18409 Post(s)
Liked 15,520 Times in 7,324 Posts
There is an E-Bike forum for that.

Last edited by indyfabz; 03-13-20 at 07:58 AM.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 03-13-20, 07:56 AM
Flip Flop Rider

Originally Posted by indyfabz
There is an E-Bile forum for that.
I guess everything has a motor on it these days
Likes For Flip Flop Rider:
Old 03-13-20, 07:59 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Quoted: 18409 Post(s)
Liked 15,520 Times in 7,324 Posts
Originally Posted by Flip Flop Rider
I guess everything has a motor on it these days
Fixed.
Old 03-13-20, 08:11 AM
GeezyRider 

Bikes: There is always room for one more.

Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked 388 Times in 225 Posts
Not sure I'll ever buy one but KevCentral makes fat tire ebikes look like a lot of fun.
Old 03-13-20, 08:13 AM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,569 Times in 974 Posts
A pan flat beach town? Why not just go back old-school and cruise in the golf cart instead?

Even in a wind, takes like all of 50w to leisurely explore a flat beach town.
Likes For burnthesheep:
Old 03-13-20, 09:08 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Every statistic I know of indicates that the more cyclists, the safer we are, so I welcome it just out of self-interest. Also, I like it that it allows people to ride that otherwise couldn't.

All I ask is that the bike lanes and paths don't get inundated with motorized bikes that are substantially faster and heavier than pedaled bikes.
Old 03-13-20, 09:21 AM
Flip Flop Rider

Originally Posted by indyfabz
Fixed.
lol, just did a double take!
Old 03-13-20, 09:27 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Originally Posted by Flip Flop Rider
lol, just did a double take!

I think E-Bile would be a better name for a music genre.
Old 03-13-20, 03:09 PM
Bigbus
Very Senior Member

Originally Posted by livedarklions
Every statistic I know of indicates that the more cyclists, the safer we are, so I welcome it just out of self-interest. Also, I like it that it allows people to ride that otherwise couldn't.

All I ask is that the bike lanes and paths don't get inundated with motorized bikes that are substantially faster and heavier than pedaled bikes.
By government standards, anything with a motor is considered motorized and that includes ebikes. So if the sign says no motorized vehicles I shouldn't have to worry about them, Right?
Old 03-13-20, 03:34 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 4731 Post(s)
Liked 1,531 Times in 1,002 Posts
Every statistic I know of indicates that the more cyclists, the safer we are, so I welcome it just out of self-interest. s.
I assume part of this is the implication that as long as the increase in cyclists isn't coming out of the volume of pedestrians... and on roads. More cyclists on MUPs vs non-cyclists can't be safer.
Old 03-13-20, 03:52 PM
MNebiker

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 152 Times in 83 Posts
Originally Posted by Bigbus
By government standards, anything with a motor is considered motorized and that includes ebikes. So if the sign says no motorized vehicles I shouldn't have to worry about them, Right?
This varies from state to state and even within local boundaries. The following is from the MN Bicycle Handbook:

3. What is an electric-assisted bicycle and where can I use one?
Minnesota Statute 169.011, Subdivision 27:
“Electric-assisted bicycle” means a bicycle with two or three wheels that:
(1) has a saddle and fully operable pedals for human propulsion;
(2) meets the requirements:
(i) of federal motor vehicle safety standards for a motor-driven cycle in Code of
Federal Regulations, title 49, sections 571.1 et seq.; or
(ii) for bicycles under Code of Federal Regulations, title 16, part 1512, or successor
requirements; and
(3) has an electric motor that (i) has a power output of not more than 1,000 watts, (ii)
is incapable of propelling the vehicle at a speed of more than 20 miles per hour, (iii) is
incapable of further increasing the speed of the device when human power alone is used
to propel the vehicle at a speed of more than 20 miles per hour, and (iv) disengages or
ceases to function when the vehicle’s brakes are applied.
Minnesota Statute 169.011, Subdivision 47:
An electric-assisted bicycle with pedals and a motor that can’t go faster than 20 mph is
considered a bicycle under state law; all relevant bicycle laws apply.
Minnesota Statute 169.222, Subdivision 6(b)
The driver of an electric-assisted bicycle must be at least 15 years old.
Minnesota Statute 85.015, Subdivision 1(d) and Statute 85.018, Subdivision 2(d):
Generally electric-assisted bicycles may operate like bicycles do, unless otherwise posted.

In MN the high-powered go-fast ebikes are not considered bikes. I'm not sure how they are handled legally, but maybe MNDOT would have the answers. From what I have read an ebike that meets the MN standards can be used wherever a standard bike is allowed, unless a local rule prohibits them. I believe the "government standard" you refer to is probably a Federal standard, and I have heard that ebikes have been prohibited on some national park trails. But I have also read that they are allowed wherever a motor vehicle is allowed in some parks.

Either way, ebikes are growing, and there is always the "more power, more speed" crowd out there. That's why Dodge builds the Hellcat. Undoubtedly there will be some need for comprehensive rules and statutes. Fortunately I have not seen evidence of the abuse of ebikes in this area yet - I only encountered one high-power rig on the local trails in the last couple of years.
Old 03-13-20, 05:48 PM
Bigbus
Very Senior Member

Originally Posted by MNebiker
This varies from state to state and even within local boundaries. The following is from the MN Bicycle Handbook:

3. What is an electric-assisted bicycle and where can I use one?
Minnesota Statute 169.011, Subdivision 27:
“Electric-assisted bicycle” means a bicycle with two or three wheels that:
(1) has a saddle and fully operable pedals for human propulsion;
(2) meets the requirements:
(i) of federal motor vehicle safety standards for a motor-driven cycle in Code of
Federal Regulations, title 49, sections 571.1 et seq.; or
(ii) for bicycles under Code of Federal Regulations, title 16, part 1512, or successor
requirements; and
(3) has an electric motor that (i) has a power output of not more than 1,000 watts, (ii)
is incapable of propelling the vehicle at a speed of more than 20 miles per hour, (iii) is
incapable of further increasing the speed of the device when human power alone is used
to propel the vehicle at a speed of more than 20 miles per hour, and (iv) disengages or
ceases to function when the vehicle’s brakes are applied.
Minnesota Statute 169.011, Subdivision 47:
An electric-assisted bicycle with pedals and a motor that can’t go faster than 20 mph is
considered a bicycle under state law; all relevant bicycle laws apply.
Minnesota Statute 169.222, Subdivision 6(b)
The driver of an electric-assisted bicycle must be at least 15 years old.
Minnesota Statute 85.015, Subdivision 1(d) and Statute 85.018, Subdivision 2(d):
Generally electric-assisted bicycles may operate like bicycles do, unless otherwise posted.

In MN the high-powered go-fast ebikes are not considered bikes. I'm not sure how they are handled legally, but maybe MNDOT would have the answers. From what I have read an ebike that meets the MN standards can be used wherever a standard bike is allowed, unless a local rule prohibits them. I believe the "government standard" you refer to is probably a Federal standard, and I have heard that ebikes have been prohibited on some national park trails. But I have also read that they are allowed wherever a motor vehicle is allowed in some parks.

Either way, ebikes are growing, and there is always the "more power, more speed" crowd out there. That's why Dodge builds the Hellcat. Undoubtedly there will be some need for comprehensive rules and statutes. Fortunately I have not seen evidence of the abuse of ebikes in this area yet - I only encountered one high-power rig on the local trails in the last couple of years.
Sorry if I caused any confusion. Having retired from the federal government I forget about all the states having their own sets of rules. We only enforced state rules when requested and usually under special order.
Old 03-13-20, 07:03 PM
Crosis

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts

I can’t speak for other brands but my wife’s Trek ebike is not faster than me. It tops out at 20 and can’t keep up with me. It’s not moped heavy, it’s more like a steel frame huffy from the 70s.
Likes For Crosis:
Old 03-13-20, 07:47 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by Sy Reene
I assume part of this is the implication that as long as the increase in cyclists isn't coming out of the volume of pedestrians... and on roads. More cyclists on MUPs vs non-cyclists can't be safer.

Yes, I was referring to having more bikes on the roads. Your assumption that I obviously meant to imply the obvious is correct.
Old 03-13-20, 07:50 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by Crosis
I can’t speak for other brands but my wife’s Trek ebike is not faster than me. It tops out at 20 and can’t keep up with me. It’s not moped heavy, it’s more like a steel frame huffy from the 70s.

Most ebike motors top out at 20 mph by design. There's also plenty of them that can go much faster.
Old 03-14-20, 07:10 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 4731 Post(s)
Liked 1,531 Times in 1,002 Posts
Yes, I was referring to having more bikes on the roads. Your assumption that I obviously meant to imply the obvious is correct.
There certainly though is a good number of net new ebikers who are picking this up as a hobby, replacing another activity (walking, jogging, pingpong) or a sedentary lifestyle.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.