Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

What to wear @ 20+ mph?

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

What to wear @ 20+ mph?

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-20, 01:06 AM
bpcyclist

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 451 Post(s)
Liked 364 Times in 227 Posts
Another way I have heard aero people/researchers discuss this is that, the slower you go, the greater the gains aero improvement can actually make as a percentage of your overall speed over time. Faster folks have lower percentage gains due to aero wheels, say, than a slower rider will.
Old 03-16-20, 10:02 AM
nomadmax 

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 1104 Post(s)
Liked 1,824 Times in 878 Posts
Any clothing you can hear at speeds above 15mph isn't what you want.

Buy used as mentioned @ thrift stores and CL.
Old 03-16-20, 11:08 AM
Leisesturm

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2493 Post(s)
Liked 738 Times in 522 Posts
I'm just hoping that the o.p. doesn't ride the Raleigh Redux with the saddle slammed like in the photo. I have found running clothes to be a bit cheaper than cycling clothes and just as aerodynamic. Pearl Izumi shorts with chamois and some kind of running tight over that is fine for Oregon winters. I don't think I would need more than that blue fleece in San Jose. But if I did it would be a Gore Path jacket with zip off sleeves.
Old 03-16-20, 11:59 AM
sean.hwy

Bikes: Blur / Ibis Hakka MX / team machince alr2 / topstone 1

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 426 Post(s)
Liked 274 Times in 201 Posts
Originally Posted by Leisesturm
I'm just hoping that the o.p. doesn't ride the Raleigh Redux with the saddle slammed like in the photo. I have found running clothes to be a bit cheaper than cycling clothes and just as aerodynamic. Pearl Izumi shorts with chamois and some kind of running tight over that is fine for Oregon winters. I don't think I would need more than that blue fleece in San Jose. But if I did it would be a Gore Path jacket with zip off sleeves.
ha-ha. I let my 5 foot friend borrow it.
Old 03-16-20, 12:11 PM
sean.hwy

Originally Posted by Leisesturm
I don't think I would need more than that blue fleece in San Jose. But if I did it would be a Gore Path jacket with zip off sleeves.
For the same day/weather/etc hiking I can usually wear just shorts, almost never a jacket and a lot of times no shirt. Gets hot hiking up steep hills.
On a bike on the same day/weather/etc I get cold doing 20+. I guess I am wind chill wimp.
Old 03-16-20, 10:54 PM
ChrisAlbertson

Bikes: 70's frame, newer parts

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 27 Posts
Originally Posted by bpcyclist
Another way I have heard aero people/researchers discuss this is that, the slower you go, the greater the gains aero improvement can actually make as a percentage of your overall speed over time. Faster folks have lower percentage gains due to aero wheels, say, than a slower rider will.
No. That can't work. Try putting working in some numbers and you will see. If I am riding at 8 MPH and I drop down so that my upper body is completely horizontal and I put on skin tight clothing i will NOT pick up even 1 MPH. At that low speed all the rage is just rolling resistance. But at 20+ it is easy to pick up 1 MPH with no effort. I can get this by looking on the bike computer.

Another example is easy to test. Try drafting another bike at 8 MPH. There is no noticeable effect but at 3X that speed it is like being sucked forward and the effect is obvious.

The air drag force is proportional to the cube of the speed. If the speed doubles the drag is 8X more.

Back on-topic. It never gets below low 50s here so I don't know much about riding is rralycold weather except to say dress in layers that can be removed and stored in the jersey's back pockets. Arm warmers are small and easy to store and so is a thin merino wool base layer under the jersey. If over heated, stop and swap. Use a jersey with solid from to break the wind, then on the uphill climbs unzip it. Dress so you can remove and unzip as you heat up.

Even name brands are cheap on eBay, lots of good like-new stuff for 25% or less of new price.
Likes For ChrisAlbertson:
Old 03-17-20, 06:22 AM
bpcyclist

Originally Posted by ChrisAlbertson
No. That can't work. Try putting working in some numbers and you will see. If I am riding at 8 MPH and I drop down so that my upper body is completely horizontal and I put on skin tight clothing i will NOT pick up even 1 MPH. At that low speed all the rage is just rolling resistance. But at 20+ it is easy to pick up 1 MPH with no effort. I can get this by looking on the bike computer.

Another example is easy to test. Try drafting another bike at 8 MPH. There is no noticeable effect but at 3X that speed it is like being sucked forward and the effect is obvious.

The air drag force is proportional to the cube of the speed. If the speed doubles the drag is 8X more.

Back on-topic. It never gets below low 50s here so I don't know much about riding is rralycold weather except to say dress in layers that can be removed and stored in the jersey's back pockets. Arm warmers are small and easy to store and so is a thin merino wool base layer under the jersey. If over heated, stop and swap. Use a jersey with solid from to break the wind, then on the uphill climbs unzip it. Dress so you can remove and unzip as you heat up.

Even name brands are cheap on eBay, lots of good like-new stuff for 25% or less of new price.
It was a scientific article. I'll dig it up and post the link.
Old 03-17-20, 08:24 AM
bpcyclist

Originally Posted by ChrisAlbertson

The cycling aerodynamics paper I was referencing is like, 50 pages long. But here is a wheelmaker with a long history of working in aerodynamics running various F1 teams discussing the concept I brought up during a visit to the Airbus wind tunnel with a journalist. I'm sure I didn't probably phrase it just exactly perfectly, but the general idea about the benefits to slower riders is, I think, essentially what I was getting at: https://road.cc/content/feature/2138...ow-wind-tunnel.
Old 03-18-20, 10:34 AM
woodcraft

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts
Those spoke thingies are costing speed/effort...
Old 03-18-20, 10:44 AM
sean.hwy

Originally Posted by woodcraft
Those spoke thingies are costing speed/effort...
yeah thats true, That's my commuter bike I ride to and from work at night before this whole work from home thing. They are highly reflective for my rides home after work.

Maybe I should switch to reflective time on the rims instead? Or just reflective tape on the bike ? I have a front and rear light.
Old 03-18-20, 10:50 AM
woodcraft

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts
Originally Posted by sean.hwy
yeah thats true, That's my commuter bike I ride to and from work at night before this whole work from home thing. They are highly reflective for my rides home after work.

Maybe I should switch to reflective time on the rims instead? Or just reflective tape on the bike ? I have a front and rear light.

3 or 4 per wheel might give pretty much the same effect...
Old 03-18-20, 08:42 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Snug clothing isn't just faster on the bike. It also reduces buffeting from crosswinds. I finally switched to more aero jerseys and jacket for my road bike rides this winter and immediately noticed a difference. Yeah, I was a little faster when I put some effort into it. But the main difference was reduced buffeting from crosswinds. On days with 15-30 mph wind whipping around erratically, that lends a little more confidence, especially riding in traffic where I don't want to wobble unpredictably.
Old 03-19-20, 07:52 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6178 Post(s)
Liked 4,795 Times in 3,307 Posts
Actually I don't think about increased speed with cycling specific clothing. Other than just not having a shirt or jacket act like a parachute when opened. For me it's about having clothing that fits close enough to act as a outer skin. That way, if it's moving with you, then all the chaffing will be fabric on fabric, not fabric to skin. Also, the close fit maximizes getting sweat away from your body and to the outer part of the fabric were evaporative cooling from airflow can take place.
Likes For Iride01:
Old 03-19-20, 07:21 PM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
Originally Posted by big john
You have no bike specific clothes? Start with Lycra shorts and bike jerseys. Cooler weather I wear a base layer and a warmer jersey and add a wind vest for warmth. A skull cap or some head covering will help with chilly weather. I almost never wear a jacket.
Check out Nashbar or Performance Bike for clothes or look for sales. I also have 2 jerseys from Voler for cool/cold conditions. Warm weather almost any wicking material will work.
Makes a difference what you ride. For the most part if you ride a recumbent or a trike, you dont need high priced clothes to protect you from your bike.
Old 03-19-20, 08:42 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8261 Post(s)
Liked 8,998 Times in 4,456 Posts
Originally Posted by rydabent
Makes a difference what you ride. For the most part if you ride a recumbent or a trike, you dont need high priced clothes to protect you from your bike.
The jerseys I linked are around $30. The point of a jersey is sweat management, along with aerodynamics, and the rear pockets provide storage. The cold weather gear works on any bike, obviously.
The shorts also provide moisture management and some decent ones can be had for $45 in the link.
The fast recumbent riders I know wear bike specific clothing for the same reasons the rest of us do except I have seen recumbent jerseys with pockets on the front. Don't know about the chamois they do or don't use.
I'm sure you can ride your 'bent in anything just as an upright rider can. It's more rider preference than bike type.
I know you couldn't resist getting a shot in against upright bikes. You've been slacking off lately.
Old 03-20-20, 07:39 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6178 Post(s)
Liked 4,795 Times in 3,307 Posts
Interesting that riding a recumbent doesn't require clothing that doesn't chafe or remove heat and sweat away from a persons body.
Likes For Iride01:
Old 03-20-20, 11:12 AM
CAT7RDR

Bikes: 1999 Schwinn Peloton Ultegra 10, Kestrel RT-1000 Ultegra, Trek Marlin 6 Deore 29'er

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 822 Post(s)
Liked 1,955 Times in 941 Posts
Originally Posted by rydabent
So how do we know you are a bent rider if you do not show a pic of your flag?
Old 03-20-20, 11:15 AM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3885 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01
Interesting that riding a recumbent doesn't require clothing that doesn't chafe or remove heat and sweat away from a persons body.
It's actually not surprising. We're a 144 y.o. tandem team and my stoker has an FTP of 75w. We've zoomed by every recumbent we've seen on our side of the road. Not saying that there aren't fast recumbents, we've just never seen one. So for the most part he's right, no need for any of that.
Old 03-20-20, 11:35 AM
big john

Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy
It's actually not surprising. We're a 144 y.o. tandem team and my stoker has an FTP of 75w. We've zoomed by every recumbent we've seen on our side of the road. Not saying that there aren't fast recumbents, we've just never seen one. So for the most part he's right, no need for any of that.
Like I said, more rider preference than bike type. There was a young guy who rode a titanium 'bent with our club a few years ago. He was a strong rider and would do climbing rides with us. He wore bike specific clothing.
Another friend rode a custom carbon fiber 'bent which he said was about 17 pounds. He went very fast on the flats and descents. He even raced the velodrome with it when they had a special event.
In 2008 John Schlitter became the first recumbent rider to finish Race Across America. He also wears bike clothes.
Old 03-20-20, 05:06 PM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1513 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
I don't claim to be in the same league as John Schlitter, but I've been known to pass a few bikes. For the most part I wear regular bike-specific stuff, including the padded shorts. I may not need the pad as a pad but it's still useful for chafe- and sweat-control.
Likes For BlazingPedals:
Old 03-21-20, 08:12 AM
big john

Originally Posted by BlazingPedals
I don't claim to be in the same league as John Schlitter, but I've been known to pass a few bikes. For the most part I wear regular bike-specific stuff, including the padded shorts. I may not need the pad as a pad but it's still useful for chafe- and sweat-control.
I forgot to mention to you that I saw the owner/builder of CarBent ( it was you I chatted with about him?) and he was riding an e-trike off road with another friend. I got a kick out of that.
Old 03-25-20, 03:03 PM
Classtime 

Bikes: 82 Medici, 2011 Richard Sachs, 2011 Milwaukee Road

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 1946 Post(s)
Liked 2,004 Times in 1,105 Posts
This is old news but if your serious about going as fast as your new bike wants to go...
https://www.cyclingweekly.com/news/p...ng-buck-221256
I don't have a power meter so I know nothing about this stuff, but 46 watts saved for wearing a skin suit seems like a great deal of additonal speed for no additional effort. 18 watts for shoe covers?
Old 03-25-20, 06:21 PM
ChrisAlbertson

Bikes: 70's frame, newer parts

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 27 Posts
Originally Posted by Classtime
This is old news but if your serious about going as fast as your new bike wants to go...
https://www.cyclingweekly.com/news/p...ng-buck-221256
I don't have a power meter so I know nothing about this stuff, but 46 watts saved for wearing a skin suit seems like a great deal of additonal speed for no additional effort. 18 watts for shoe covers?
They tested at 30 MPH. At 20 MPH the amount of saving is less by a factor of 3.3 That seem a lot but remeber that drag is the cube of the speed. A change that buys you a 1W saving at 20 MPH buys you an 3.3W saving at 30 MPH. The clothing helps very fast riders a lot more than it helps slower riders
So at our speed, 20 MPH, the clothing saves about 10 Watts. I think this perfectly answers the question about what to wear at 20+ MPH

10 Watts is a reasonable amount of energy. It is art twice as much as a iPhone charger can deliver and converted to food -- if you do a two hour ride 10W uses about 17 Kilocalories. So keep the baggy clothing and you can eat 1/2 teaspoon more sugar.
Likes For ChrisAlbertson:
Old 03-26-20, 10:08 AM
rydabent
Banned

As to cost, on my bents I wear rugby shorts I get from Sheels sports stores that I get for $15 on sale. I wear T-shirts that I mainly get from the bike club for free for riding or running sag stops. The main point here is the shorts DF riders need to protect them from their seat. With my "lawn chair" seat no such protection is needed.
Old 03-26-20, 10:13 AM
rydabent
Banned

What chafing? On a bent there are no high pressure points to cause chafing, because we are sitting on top of a web seat. Sweating so what. Take a shower when you get home.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.