Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Walds baskets: love, hate or otherwise

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-20, 08:03 PM
LBCwanabe 

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked 322 Times in 132 Posts

Here are mine. They are heavy so I hate them. They offer a large area for cargo so I’m love them.

Likes For LBCwanabe:
Old 03-18-20, 08:17 PM
IsleRide

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked 80 Times in 49 Posts
Do you have a "paper route"?
Likes For IsleRide:
Old 03-19-20, 02:58 AM
JaccoW
Overdoing projects

Bikes: Batavus Randonneur GL, Gazelle Orange Excellent, Gazelle Super Licht, Gazelle Grand Tourist, Gazelle Lausanne, Gazelle Tandem, Koga-Miyata SilverAce, Koga-Miyata WorldTraveller

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 784 Post(s)
Liked 1,237 Times in 686 Posts
I like the look but even the smallest one will probably cause problems in the bike racks here.
Old 03-19-20, 06:16 AM
nlerner

Mentioned: 481 Post(s)
Quoted: 3803 Post(s)
Liked 6,639 Times in 2,602 Posts
I have a smaller one on my RB-T commuter, attached to a Nitto rack (I removed the struts). It really is an ideal size as I can slip an entire grocery bag into that front basket.
Likes For nlerner:
Old 03-19-20, 07:13 AM
abshipp 

Bikes: 1975 Motobecane Grand Jubile, 2020 Holdsworth Competition, 2022 Giant Trance 29 3

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 3349 Post(s)
Liked 3,610 Times in 1,239 Posts
I'm considering a 137 or 1372 to put on my wife's mixte. The quite large selection of bags made especially for them makes it look pretty attractive. The only issue is that most basket bags are so much bigger than she needs or would want.
Old 03-19-20, 07:59 AM
BFisher

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 767 Post(s)
Liked 1,898 Times in 889 Posts
We have a 133 quick release here that is handy for shopping. Lift the handle and it comes right off. It looks like they have hooks for the handlebars now, but our has a clamp-on bracket.
Likes For BFisher:
Old 03-19-20, 09:37 AM
JaccoW
Overdoing projects

Bikes: Batavus Randonneur GL, Gazelle Orange Excellent, Gazelle Super Licht, Gazelle Grand Tourist, Gazelle Lausanne, Gazelle Tandem, Koga-Miyata SilverAce, Koga-Miyata WorldTraveller

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 784 Post(s)
Liked 1,237 Times in 686 Posts
BlueLug Japan has a nice selection 137 and 139 half-baskets (chopped in half to be less tall) in a variety of colours.
Old 03-19-20, 10:17 AM
thumpism 
Bikes are okay, I guess.

Bikes: Waterford Paramount Touring, Giant CFM-2, Raleigh Sports 3-speeds in M23 & L23, Schwinn Cimarron oddball build, Marin Palisades Trail dropbar conversion, Nishiki Cresta GT

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 2647 Post(s)
Liked 2,446 Times in 1,557 Posts
Had a #157 back when I delivered papers and always liked the practicality of the folding rear baskets but never used them. Made a few commission bucks selling them back when I was a rep so I'd fall into the "love" camp.
Likes For thumpism:
Old 03-19-20, 02:53 PM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Bikes: It's complicated.

Mentioned: 1299 Post(s)
Quoted: 4677 Post(s)
Liked 5,790 Times in 2,279 Posts
My Giant Friend Andy is a card carrying member of the Riv and Dale cult, so of course he has a Wald basket on his 1998 LongLow. We're done several tours together over the past few years. He likes his canvas and leather bag up front. Sometimes he uses panniers in the rear. Me, I'm a fancy handlebar rack and bag, probably 2-3 lbs lighter. But it works for him, obviously, and he uses his bike for grocery shopping when he's not traipsing about the countryside on trips with me.

Old 03-19-20, 03:06 PM
non-fixie 
Shifting is fun!

Bikes: Yes, please.

Mentioned: 279 Post(s)
Quoted: 2193 Post(s)
Liked 4,586 Times in 1,764 Posts
If you want your bike to look like a complicated and inefficient shopping trolley, these are just what you need.

(Well, you asked)

Likes For non-fixie:
Old 03-19-20, 03:07 PM
tyrion

Bikes: Velo Orange Piolet

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 2228 Post(s)
Liked 2,011 Times in 972 Posts
Yes, I 💜 baskets. Wald 137 up front, Carradice bag in back.

Likes For tyrion:
Old 03-19-20, 03:23 PM
alo

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 529 Post(s)
Liked 255 Times in 185 Posts
I Like them but: I like front suspension. Most front baskets are used on bikes without front suspension. Front baskets also mess with headlights. The basket blocks the light shining on the part of the road quite close to the bike.
Old 03-19-20, 03:25 PM
bark_eater 

Bikes: Road ready: 1993 Koga Miyata City Liner Touring Hybrid, 1989 Centurion Sport DLX, "I Blame GP" Bridgestone CB-1. Projects: Yea, I got a problem....

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 753 Post(s)
Liked 735 Times in 421 Posts

Likes For bark_eater:
Old 03-19-20, 03:26 PM
tyrion

Bikes: Velo Orange Piolet

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 2228 Post(s)
Liked 2,011 Times in 972 Posts
Originally Posted by alo
I Like them but: I like front suspension. Most front baskets are used on bikes without front suspension. Front baskets also mess with headlights. The basket blocks the light shining on the part of the road quite close to the bike.
I mounted the light under the basket. You can see it peaking out in the pic above, on the ND side.
Likes For tyrion:
Old 03-19-20, 03:42 PM
USAZorro
Señor Member

Bikes: Mostly English - predominantly Raleighs

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 1491 Post(s)
Liked 1,089 Times in 637 Posts
They make excellent quality products, and have survived for a long time as a company. They make good products and keep the prices quite affordable. If I lived somewhere with a comfortable and safe ride to shopping, I'd have no reservations about having them on a bike or two that I actually used regularly. I have some fold-away twin rear baskets still on the Superbe (undeterminable manufacturer), and my wife's old Dunelt 3-speed step-through has a front Wald basket.

Can't say I love them them enough to fit them out like they were Brooks (or rhm) saddles, but they get a big here.
Old 03-19-20, 04:27 PM
nlerner

Mentioned: 481 Post(s)
Quoted: 3803 Post(s)
Liked 6,639 Times in 2,602 Posts
Originally Posted by tyrion
I mounted the light under the basket. You can see it peaking out in the pic above, on the ND side.
Same here, but on the drive side:

Likes For nlerner:
Old 03-19-20, 04:52 PM
bark_eater 

Bikes: Road ready: 1993 Koga Miyata City Liner Touring Hybrid, 1989 Centurion Sport DLX, "I Blame GP" Bridgestone CB-1. Projects: Yea, I got a problem....

I've been trying to visualize a 1" aluminum tube underneath the basket that extends out far enough on the ends to clamp a couple handle bar mount lights. Getting it cleanly and rigidly mounted so it wont shake or rotate is the puzzle.
Old 03-19-20, 05:04 PM
BFisher

Originally Posted by bark_eater
I've been trying to visualize a 1" aluminum tube underneath the basket that extends out far enough on the ends to clamp a couple handle bar mount lights. Getting it cleanly and rigidly mounted so it wont shake or rotate is the puzzle.
For which basket?
The one in the first post with those long struts give a good location for such a mount. If a smaller basket, when used with a front rack, look for one with eyelets. I drilled and tapped a piece of aluminum bar stock and bolted it to my front rack.

I use a bag, but could also opt for a basket supported by that rack.

BTW, those are genuine Wald fenders.
Likes For BFisher:
Old 03-19-20, 05:13 PM
clubman 
Phyllo-buster

Bikes: roadsters, club bikes, fixed and classic

Mentioned: 133 Post(s)
Quoted: 2296 Post(s)
Liked 2,046 Times in 1,253 Posts
Firmly in the 'they're OK' camp. My wifes Hercules/Eatons rebrand and my old McBride.

Old 03-19-20, 05:22 PM
bark_eater 

Originally Posted by BFisher
For which basket?
The one in the first post with those long struts give a good location for such a mount. If a smaller basket, when used with a front rack, look for one with eyelets. I drilled and tapped a piece of aluminum bar stock and bolted it to my front rack.
I use a bag, but could also opt for a basket supported by that rack.

BTW, those are genuine Wald fenders.

This is the basket and its mounted on a Blackburn rack.
Old 03-19-20, 06:31 PM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Bikes: https://www.theheadbadge.com

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Quoted: 2420 Post(s)
Liked 4,381 Times in 2,090 Posts
Put me in the minority of folks here in this thread - I can't stand Wald racks and baskets. This is not because of weight or snobbery towards utilitarianism. Personally, I think they're not heavy or strong enough.

Wald uses the absolute minimum gauge of wire possible - note how bark_eater's rack and other Wald racks run only two thicker wires to reinforce the weak construction - and their zinc plating barely survives a year before turning into a uniform layer of rust. Then they have those terrible handlebar J clamps (with Erector set hardware) which scratch handlebars by default. Given that most owners don't think to cut some rubber hose to go over the bars (which usually proves too thick for the J-clamp to bend around), the end result is a lot of gouged bars from owners fruitlessly attempting to tighten them so they don't slip (and since the J-clamps are just pressed onto the rack and not spot welded...they slip).

Need I mention that their rack support stays are too thin a gauge of steel for rigidity? Their absolutely infuriating multi-position axle holes make the problem even worse. I've lost count of how many of these stays I've seen mutilated (and sometimes MIG welded) on some beat local commuter bikes. You can literally destroy a Wald rack by simply bending both stays with your fingers then loading the basket. The stays begin to buckle, then the J-clamps shift, and the basket winds up shifting between these two points based on wherever the weight decides to takes it.

This isn't just based on my experiences. This is my observation of Wald racks I've seen servicing people of all walks of life. Sure, often the less fortunate happen to survive using their bicycles and these racks - using whatever means possible to keep the basket together - but a basket doing a necessary job for someone while falling apart is not a valid metric of quality. It is a sign that there's nothing better on the market in an affordable price range (and/or made + sold in enough numbers that it filters down to them).

As for affordability, I see quite a few of the bikes in this thread have Wald baskets mounted on top of $30-40 aluminum front racks that actually do hold up. All of a sudden, the combination isn't so cheap!

Fact is, you can find a very similar - yet superior quality - basket on a Chinese-built LimeBike, which does everything a Wald does, without the quality compromises. Case in point, the Lime-B's have the same steel construction as a Wald, but with a powdercoated finish that tends to take more abuse before it looks completely shot. The upper half of the rack is secured to a thick steel bracket that doubles as a headset washer (no inverted J hooks), while the stays are a solid steel rod bent in an inverted U shape with flattened ends.

I've seen these Limes smashed and crashed a gazillion ways and as bad as they've been abused, the baskets still seem to survive enough to be used for their intended purpose. Sometimes they have to be bashed back into a general bucket shape, but they work.

The new E's have an aluminum version with the same support setup:

I'd respect Wald a lot more if they'd finally put out a decent product along these lines, rather than the same low-quality stuff they've been selling us for years.

-Kurt

Last edited by cudak888; 03-19-20 at 06:53 PM.
Likes For cudak888:
Old 03-19-20, 06:40 PM
bark_eater 

I think I'd pay twice as much for a stainless steel Wald basket. I remember looking for a stainless alternative, but not finding anything usefull.
Likes For bark_eater:
Old 03-19-20, 07:24 PM
BFisher

bark_eater Like a bonehead I missed that you had already posted images of your setup. Sorry about that.
Old 03-19-20, 09:17 PM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Bikes: https://www.theheadbadge.com

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Quoted: 2420 Post(s)
Liked 4,381 Times in 2,090 Posts
Originally Posted by bark_eater
I think I'd pay twice as much for a stainless steel Wald basket. I remember looking for a stainless alternative, but not finding anything usefull.
A properly chromed (Wald's handlebar chrome is proof they can't do that right either) basket might do the same job and keep the cost down, but a stainless basket would definitely be interesting.

Honestly, I think one of the boutique brands could probably pull it off better though - and given the cost, more likely to be profitable through such a venue. Would be interesting to see Velo-Orange try their hand at something like this. Seeing as a lot of their products are manufactured via the same Chinese heavy industry companies as the dockless bike parts, it's probably not that difficult for them to spec out a conventional basket with the same hardware as the dockless bikes (and preferably stays with eyelet, not axle mounting).

-Kurt

Old 03-19-20, 10:06 PM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Bikes: It's complicated.

Mentioned: 1299 Post(s)
Quoted: 4677 Post(s)
Liked 5,790 Times in 2,279 Posts
Originally Posted by cudak888
Put me in the minority of folks here in this thread - I can't stand Wald racks and baskets.

-Kurt
Bu-bu-bu-but...

Grant Petersen!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.