Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Northern California
Reload this Page >

Riding during the shelter in place directive

Search
Notices
Northern California Northern California

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-20, 12:04 PM
Bryan C. 
nothing to see here

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 218 Post(s)
Liked 145 Times in 78 Posts

Anyone riding? The Marin Bike Coalition says solo rides are ok for the next few weeks while everything is shut down.

I'm still working at my so-called essential service job but my hours are being cut. I figure with the extra free time I can get out on my bike and relax a bit.

Lots of stressed out people right now and we all need a way to relieve that stress.
Likes For Bryan C.:
Old 03-18-20, 04:06 PM
2cam16

Bikes: TRIMMED DOWN THE HERD

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1090 Post(s)
Liked 935 Times in 600 Posts
I'm not since I always drive to a trail to ride (hate riding on the streets), so I started using my trainer. The driving to your ride area is questionable.
I've been seeing a few riders on the streets in my area.
Definitely need to go outside.
Old 03-18-20, 06:50 PM
DiabloScott
It's MY mountain

Bikes: Klein, Merckx, Trek

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 4335 Post(s)
Liked 2,977 Times in 1,614 Posts
Mount Diablo is open. The campgrounds and visitor centers are closed. Riding is a little creepy but it's better than staying inside.
Better to ride to The Gate, but there's plenty of parking if you need to drive there.
They had snow at Summit yesterday so there was a short section of road closure because of that.
Italy is considering banning outdoor exersize, so this might not last... enjoy.
Old 03-18-20, 07:31 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5223 Post(s)
Liked 3,579 Times in 2,341 Posts
Police are keeping kids away from some parks I guess so they don’t all use the same play equipment
Old 03-19-20, 05:38 PM
Pavol Stromcek

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 10 Posts
I mentioned this in a thread in General, but I went on a ride through the Oakland hills yesterday and I saw quite a few more cyclists out than I normally would on a weekday afternoon - and far fewer cars. Saw more people strolling than usual too, and the parking lot for a popular trailhead on Skyline was packed.

I figure I should get in as much riding as I can while Alameda County is still allowing it amid the shelter-in-place order.
Likes For Pavol Stromcek:
Old 03-19-20, 10:49 PM
cthenn

Bikes: 2023 Canyon Aeoroad CF SL, 2015 Trek Emonda SLR, 2002 Litespeed Classic, 2005 Bianchi Pista, Some BikesDirect MTB I never ride.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 647 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 89 Posts
Well I hope with the latest shelter in place order for the entire state, we can get a bit more ahead of it, and not resort to such draconian measures as completely banning outdoor activities. It really is up to the individual to do the right thing, which can be an iffy proposition...
Likes For cthenn:
Old 03-19-20, 11:22 PM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 2,331 Times in 1,164 Posts
This one looks a lot more stringent.

https://covid19.ca.gov/stay-home-except-for-essential-needs/

https://covid19.ca.gov/img/N-33-20.pdf

There aren't as many of the loop-holes that the county orders had. Nothing about outdoor recreation or even walking the dog. It isn't clear to me if I am allowed to go in to work to carry out Coronavirus research.
Old 03-20-20, 08:55 AM
Pavol Stromcek

According to this article, under the state-wide order, "Individuals can also leave their houses to take a walk or go for a jog so long as they are practicing the requisite precautions when coming into contact with another individual."

Riding solo is probably OK, but again, I wish they could be clearer or more explicit about that. It was only after people started clamoring for clarification that a San Francisco spokesperson said non-group cycling was OK after the shelter-in-place order went into effect there.
Old 03-20-20, 03:22 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 2337 Post(s)
Liked 2,811 Times in 1,535 Posts
Just rod los gatos creek trail as my commute is now about 15 feet. Lots of people out

Old 03-21-20, 08:11 AM
ztmlgr

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 16 Posts
Originally Posted by Pavol Stromcek
..., and the parking lot for a popular trailhead on Skyline was packed.
I rode Skyline on Tuesday and EBRPD had barricaded the entrances to both Huckleberry and Sibley. I also heard the EBRPD cops were giving out tickets. Somebody at EBRPD overreacted big time. They removed the barricades by the next day (Wednesday). Only facilities and meeting rooms were supposed to have been closed. A lot of people were pissed.

Sibley on Tuesday after EBRPD knee-jerk reaction to shelter in place order.
Likes For ztmlgr:
Old 03-21-20, 12:01 PM
Bob S

Bikes: Specialized Creo Comp Carbon DeSalvo Custom Ti

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 4 Posts
Sonoma - Napa via Carneros

Rode mid morning Thursday from Sonoma over into Napa county primarily on Ramal Rd. Only a few other bikes out there and very few vehicles, several times went over 15 minutes without seeing any vehicles other than a tractor or two in the vineyards. Crossing Hwy 121 was relatively easy give the lighter than usual traffic
Old 03-21-20, 02:55 PM
Pavol Stromcek

Originally Posted by ztmlgr
I rode Skyline on Tuesday and EBRPD had barricaded the entrances to both Huckleberry and Sibley. I also heard the EBRPD cops were giving out tickets. Somebody at EBRPD overreacted big time. They removed the barricades by the next day (Wednesday). Only facilities and meeting rooms were supposed to have been closed. A lot of people were pissed.

Sibley on Tuesday after EBRPD knee-jerk reaction to shelter in place order.

Oh wow, that's nuts! I forgot to mention that on the ride I took Wednesday afternoon, Lake Temescal was closed. The gates were shut and locked. I ride through that park to get to Tunnel Road, and on Wednesday, I went through it anyway. I saw no EBRPD presence there, fortunately. I did see some guy walking his dog on that pedestrian/bike path that runs through it, though, so I wasn't the only person not deterred by the closed gates.

Somewhat strangely, on a ride I took yesterday (Friday) morning, I felt like I was actually seeing more cars than usual in the hills and on the back roads, especially along the length of Pinehurst and on parts of Skyline, whereas the more urban areas down the hill (Glenview, Montclair) were practically deserted. And given that the Sibley and Huckleberry parking lots were full that morning, it seems that maybe a lot of people must be hitting the trails.

Last edited by Pavol Stromcek; 03-21-20 at 03:02 PM.
Old 03-22-20, 03:16 PM
Pavol Stromcek

Just got back from another ride in the Oakland hills, and I couldn't believe how many cars there were up and down Skyline, Redwood, Pinehurst, etc., not to mention loads of cars parked up and down the roads near the trailheads, whose parking lots were overflowing. It was like being out on Memorial Day or something. I even got stuck behind a string of slow-poke cars going down Redwood. I never see this much traffic on these roads! In a way, it's really not such a great time for cycling, because you definitely don't have the roads to yourself.

I don't know - I can't help but feel like people are seriously pushing their luck with being allowed to go outdoors. So many people are descending on the parks and trails that the cities/counties, or even Newsom, could easily decide to crack down and start curtailing all outdoor activities. At the very least, I can envision them shutting down all the parks. I heard they closed Point Reyes due to out-of-control crowds. I think people need to be a little more creative about where they spend their time outdoors.

Plus, I've heard that so many people are clogging up certain hiking trails that it's impossible to keep a six-foot berth when passing people and maintain proper social distance.

Edit: And here it is: https://www.sfchronicle.com/bayarea/article/East-Bay-parks-may-be-next-to-close-as-huge-15149356.php?fbclid=IwAR3vq_WQ76wcGd6O4pjosVqEVQ4oAbVVvBix5urW_-wG0CNc4MZjAdo0ens

I wouldn't be surprised if they close all parks by the end of the week.

Last edited by Pavol Stromcek; 03-22-20 at 04:03 PM.
Old 03-22-20, 04:23 PM
2cam16

And these are the people that are going to ruin it for us. They seem to treat this as vacation time.Like there's nothing grave going on around us.
I wouldn't be surprised about closing ALL parks. SMH
Likes For 2cam16:
Old 03-22-20, 08:11 PM
ztmlgr

Originally Posted by Pavol Stromcek
I wouldn't be surprised if they close all parks by the end of the week.
Agree, but I think closing the parks would be a bad idea. EBRPD will put up the barricades "in the interest of public safety" and they'll face some serious civil unrest when people just hop the barricades. It was very crowded today (Sunday) but still not as crowded as yesterday (Saturday). Trailheads at Sibley and Tilden overflowing with parked cars. There is just not enough parking to handle the demand right now Can't say I would blame anyone as the parks belong to the people and many people, especially those with kids, probably don't feel safe walking in their own neighborhoods, either because of no sidewalks, traffic, or whatever.. I frequently ride in Sibley on Old Tunnel and the trails and my experience is that most park users have been respectful and practice social distancing.

Tilden - Inspiration Point - Wildcat Canyon Rd

Sibley parking lot on Skyline
Likes For ztmlgr:
Old 03-23-20, 11:36 AM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

looks like the weekend crowds cause closures in marin... don't seen anything like that in the southbay yet

https://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/artic...e-15149675.php

Old 03-23-20, 01:40 PM
Bryan C. 
nothing to see here

Still haven't ventured out on my bike. Been busy with work and house projects. I kind of thought last weekend would be a zoo at all the local parks and I was right. I can see the lockdown being extended another week and more closures happening too.

Lots of people are out of jobs and losing money right now. It's a shame that some people aren't taking it seriously enough.
Likes For Bryan C.:
Old 03-23-20, 06:21 PM
squirtdad

Did errands (pharmacy) on my bike at lunch time (instead of commuting) very empty, downtown willowglen like a ghost town. I fully expect that shelter in place will be at minimum through april and very possibly thru may

Old 03-23-20, 07:03 PM
cthenn

Bikes: 2023 Canyon Aeoroad CF SL, 2015 Trek Emonda SLR, 2002 Litespeed Classic, 2005 Bianchi Pista, Some BikesDirect MTB I never ride.

Well, the idiots did it. Newsom just announced all state parks closed. Not entirely sure of the order, it seemed to mention "parking lots" and he's calling it a "soft" closure. It's only a matter of time before soft becomes hard (that's what she said!). So I don't know what that means for Diablo. The parking lots are all over the mountain, but supposedly this is not a full park closure. Ideally, the gates are closed, but hikers and cyclists can still go in assuming we practice social distancing...
Likes For cthenn:
Old 03-23-20, 10:04 PM
2cam16

Originally Posted by cthenn
Well, the idiots did it. Newsom just announced all state parks closed. Not entirely sure of the order, it seemed to mention "parking lots" and he's calling it a "soft" closure. It's only a matter of time before soft becomes hard (that's what she said!). So I don't know what that means for Diablo. The parking lots are all over the mountain, but supposedly this is not a full park closure. Ideally, the gates are closed, but hikers and cyclists can still go in assuming we practice social distancing...
Yeah, I think a full closure is bound to happen. Sad.
Old 03-23-20, 11:25 PM
DiabloScott
It's MY mountain

Bikes: Klein, Merckx, Trek

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 4335 Post(s)
Liked 2,977 Times in 1,614 Posts
https://www.parks.ca.gov/?page_id=30355

State Parks have an update page for virus closings. It says closed to vehicular traffic, still promoting hikes and bikes.
Likes For DiabloScott:
Old 03-24-20, 07:30 AM
ztmlgr

The new normal "social distancing" on the bike paths presents a challenge for cyclists. "On your left" seems to cause more confusion, plus it may cause the walker on the left to move to the right, thus violating the 6-foot distance requirement with their walking partner. I found it best to say nothing and just punch right between them, but that's not so good. Plus it's been very crowded with everyone trying to get out of the house. So I think I'll be avoiding riding on the bike paths if this is to continue.
Likes For ztmlgr:
Old 03-24-20, 08:02 AM
Bryan C. 
nothing to see here

Originally Posted by ztmlgr

The new normal "social distancing" on the bike paths presents a challenge for cyclists. "On your left" seems to cause more confusion, plus it may cause the walker on the left to move to the right, thus violating the 6-foot distance requirement with their walking partner. I found it best to say nothing and just punch right between them, but that's not so good. Plus it's been very crowded with everyone trying to get out of the house. So I think I'll be avoiding riding on the bike paths if this is to continue.

I prefer to just call out one word. Passing! Seems to work better and cause less confusion. Try it.
Old 03-24-20, 09:07 AM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
I am actively avoiding any sort of MUP/MUT for the foreseeable future. They are all absolutely jammed with people on their "COVID Vacation." Over the past two weeks, I've seen more people out on group walks and playing in playgrounds than I have in my entire life. Someone needs to lay out for these folks that it's social distancing that's important. Going out for a walk/bike/run is a great idea-- just maybe not in a group of 10.
Old 03-24-20, 09:21 AM
cthenn

Glad to see Diablo is not on the list yet. It's spring time, which is always crowded, and will probably be more so now. I think if they close off the summit parking lot and cone off severely the amount of parking in the lower summit lot, that might help. Rock City is the other tricky area, always lots of people there, but that seems harder to cordon off. I can also confirm what was said above about regional parks in the Berkely Hills. "COVID vacation" is right, people are treating this like it's all fun and games. I understand the need to break out of confinement, but no one is practicing social distancing! The other day I saw two families with like 8 kids all playing in a regional park parking lot! I was so mad at these negligent parents exposing those kids...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.