Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Addiction LXXVII

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Addiction LXXVII

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-20, 08:00 PM
BillyD
Administrator

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene '04; Bridgestone RB-1 '92

Mentioned: 325 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11955 Post(s)
Liked 6,611 Times in 3,469 Posts
Originally Posted by Pirkaus
I was raise in a nonsmoking family too. That didn't stop me from being stupid.
Ditto. Peer pressure trumps parent pressure.
Old 03-22-20, 08:01 PM
Velo Vol 
VFL For Life

Bikes: Velo Volmobile

Mentioned: 780 Post(s)
Quoted: 28577 Post(s)
Liked 1,849 Times in 1,313 Posts
Originally Posted by Bah Humbug
Yep, not calling a bottom (but I do wish they hadn't put in their annual contribution match like two weeks ago), but better to be piling in money now than last year. Not like I'm spending on travel or racing or any of that.
I'm no expert (to put it mildly) but I'll be really surprised if the S&P 500 doesn't drop to at least 2000.
Old 03-22-20, 08:01 PM
rjones28 
Mostly Harmless

Bikes: Have two wheels

Mentioned: 169 Post(s)
Quoted: 13694 Post(s)
Liked 4,520 Times in 2,499 Posts
Originally Posted by big john
Mrs. John baked a banana bread last week. I was warned Friday to "leave her some".
How'd it go?
Old 03-22-20, 08:05 PM
rjones28 
Mostly Harmless

Bikes: Have two wheels

Mentioned: 169 Post(s)
Quoted: 13694 Post(s)
Liked 4,520 Times in 2,499 Posts
Originally Posted by datlas
A search suggests I should use alcohol hand sanitizer to lube the rubber brake hood and ease installation.

Know where I can get some?
The distilleries around here are making it.
Old 03-22-20, 08:18 PM
BillyD
Administrator

Good god man, let's not do anything rash!
I know, right?
Old 03-22-20, 08:39 PM
sbxx1985 

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1934 Post(s)
Liked 282 Times in 158 Posts
Originally Posted by Heathpack
Us too.

We haven’t hoarded anything (haven’t bought any meat, I think since COVID came onto our radar) but still we have a solid inventory out there:
boneless skinless chicken breasts
chicken leg quarters
bone in chicken thighs
a couple of racks of lamb
lamb loin chops- a bunch
lamb shoulder chops- 2
a rack of spare ribs
misc hunks of beef from a quarter of a grass fed cow that we bought
italian sausage
a beef tenderloin roast, trimmed and tied
cooked Costco rotisserie chicken- several halves, vacuum sealed
cooked home smoked chicken halves- a few
beef bones for stock
chicken bones for stock
and a turkey breast

#chestfreezerlife
You're good.
Old 03-22-20, 08:52 PM
sbxx1985 

Originally Posted by Pirkaus
The Praxis Zayante carbon cranks are one of the only things on my Lynskey that didn't get wrecked when I got hit, last summer.
I noticed a difference when I replace the 6800 cranks with them.
In a good or a bad way?
Old 03-22-20, 08:59 PM
sbxx1985 

Although we stilll had a few inches of snow, I was determined to drag the basketball hoop to the front of the house (south facing) for the zombie apocalypse. I did slip and fall in the snow, causing the hoop to fall on me and my wife to yell at me for wearing slippers for this project. Once secured, we played hoops all day.
Likes For sbxx1985:
Old 03-22-20, 09:10 PM
LAJ
So it is

Bikes: Luzerne, 684, Boreas, Wheelhouse, Alize©®, Bayamo, Cayo

Mentioned: 246 Post(s)
Quoted: 11393 Post(s)
Liked 4,735 Times in 2,758 Posts
Originally Posted by sbxx1985
Although we stilll had a few inches of snow, I was determined to drag the basketball hoop to the front of the house (south facing) for the zombie apocalypse. I did slip and fall in the snow, causing the hoop to fall on me and my wife to yell at me for wearing slippers for this project. Once secured, we played hoops all day.
You did it right. Slippers and all.
Old 03-22-20, 09:15 PM
Velo Vol 
VFL For Life

Bikes: Velo Volmobile

Mentioned: 780 Post(s)
Quoted: 28577 Post(s)
Liked 1,849 Times in 1,313 Posts
Once secured, we played hoops all day.
Did you play in slippers?
Old 03-22-20, 09:20 PM
sbxx1985 

I did. Vans slippers.
Old 03-22-20, 09:23 PM
sbxx1985 

I can't continue to do that or it will wear out my slippers.
Old 03-22-20, 10:10 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8265 Post(s)
Liked 9,000 Times in 4,456 Posts
Originally Posted by rjones28
How'd it go?
I did wipe out a good part of it previously so I figured I should wait until tomorrow so I can claim she had her chance.
Old 03-22-20, 10:32 PM
abshipp 

Bikes: 1975 Motobecane Grand Jubile, 2020 Holdsworth Competition, 2022 Giant Trance 29 3

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 3350 Post(s)
Liked 3,618 Times in 1,239 Posts
Hey LesterOfPuppets did you see the Phoenix Lights?
Old 03-23-20, 03:38 AM
Pirkaus
Coffin Dodger

Bikes: Motobecane Vent Noir, Lynskey R345, Serotta Nova Special X

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 794 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 143 Posts
In a good or a bad way?
They seemed stiffer when out of the saddle climbing and sprinting. I will say the shifting was finicky, until I adjust the derailleur height very tight. Once adjusted the shifting was great.

Originally Posted by big john
I did wipe out a good part of it previously so I figured I should wait until tomorrow so I can claim she had her chance.
Remember to say, "hey honey, do you want a piece", when taking the last piece.
Likes For Pirkaus:
Old 03-23-20, 05:58 AM
ls01
he said member

Bikes: yes please

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 2789 Post(s)
Liked 1,950 Times in 1,206 Posts
Nothing as annoying as my coworker who says "I'm so much healthier since I quit smoking" as he blows chunky clouds from his vape. And after we'd finally made progress against nicotine, a whole new generation is hooked en masse. The vapes should have been banned from the outset. With no established base, there was no reason to allow them to build a market.
We haven't though. Nicotine is the chemical being added to the vape that continues the addiction. The vape companies are literally enslaving people to thier product for thier own profit. I think tobaco should be eradicated.

Last edited by ls01; 03-23-20 at 06:05 AM.
Old 03-23-20, 06:04 AM
ls01
he said member

Well they are named Slippers for a reason.
Old 03-23-20, 06:07 AM
ls01
he said member

We recieved an inch of snow overnight. It is currently snowing again. Isn't this another of the 7 signs?
1st corona
2nd snow
Old 03-23-20, 06:19 AM
Heathpack 
Has a magic bike

Bikes: 2018 Scott Spark, 2015 Fuji Norcom Straight, 2014 BMC GF01, 2013 Trek Madone

Mentioned: 699 Post(s)
Quoted: 4456 Post(s)
Liked 425 Times in 157 Posts
I need some group advice as to how to structure my brain and emotions re: our COVID lockdown.

I fully understand that to contain this virus we need to lock our interactions down China style. No meeting up with friends, not having your son move from his household to his girlfriends household and then back to yours, no selfies and hugging with friends when you go out to meet up for a run, no going out for an allowed hike/bike and then getting into close proximity and continuing on anyway as if you’re powerless to do anything else once that situation arises.

Yet I literally see or hear of numerous people doing this daily- through talking with friends, or seeing their FB or Strava posts, or behaviors I observe when I go out on a solo ride or rabbiting with the dogs.

It makes me CRAZY ANGRY. To the point where some of the friends doing this, people who I know are intelligent enough to be understanding all this, are making me question whether I really want to be friends with them after all.

I see all these people doing this $hit and I know they’re going to push our healthcare system past it’s breaking point, and people are going to die. Why? Because you need to groom your FB persona to reflect that “you’re living your best life”? Because you feel like you can’t restrict your son from seeing his girlfriend for a few weeks? Because you just HAVE to ride with friends instead of your wife because that’s what you do?

Maybe it makes me angry in part because I need to go out into the world myself on a professional level. But I don’t think that’s it. I understand I could get infected, and there’s some chance I could die. That would suck but doesn’t particularly scare me.

Mostly I think it makes me angry because these are trivial pleasures people are chasing vs the huge impact this has on lives- people dying from the virus, healthcare workers pushed to their breaking point, all the terrible economic impact made worse than it needs be. I see my friends who live a relatively privledged life unable to make relatively tiny sacrifices- just stay home and don’t interact with anyone outside your household- they are unable or unwilling to do that. Damn the consequences to others and to our society.

If I could just stay home, I would. I’d turn off the information stream and just stay home and ignore it all to cope. But I can’t do that, I have to go out into the world, and at work I have to organize other people to try to keep them safe. So I find myself angry a lot, and in disbelief of what I see people doing. And when they’re people I know and formerly liked, now I find myself not liking them much.

So I need some advice as to how to see this and not be angry half of everyday. Maybe I just won’t be able to see some friends in the same light anymore, and I just need to accept that?
Old 03-23-20, 06:21 AM
seedsbelize 
smelling the roses

Bikes: 79 Trek 930, 80 Trek 414, 84 Schwinn Letour Luxe (coupled), 92 Schwinn Paramount PDG 5

Mentioned: 104 Post(s)
Quoted: 7081 Post(s)
Liked 901 Times in 612 Posts
21°C and looking for a high of 36°. Heading into April there are hardly clouds anymore. April is not the technical end, but the effective end of the dry season. High temperatures and low humidity.

Old 03-23-20, 06:23 AM
BillyD
Administrator

Originally Posted by ls01
We recieved an inch of snow overnight. It is currently snowing again. Isn't this another of the 7 signs?
1st corona
2nd snow
3rd toilet paper
Old 03-23-20, 06:28 AM
seedsbelize 
smelling the roses

Bikes: 79 Trek 930, 80 Trek 414, 84 Schwinn Letour Luxe (coupled), 92 Schwinn Paramount PDG 5

Mentioned: 104 Post(s)
Quoted: 7081 Post(s)
Liked 901 Times in 612 Posts
I need some group advice as to how to structure my brain and emotions re: our COVID lockdown.

I fully understand that to contain this virus we need to lock our interactions down China style. No meeting up with friends, not having your son move from his household to his girlfriends household and then back to yours, no selfies and hugging with friends when you go out to meet up for a run, no going out for an allowed hike/bike and then getting into close proximity and continuing on anyway as if you’re powerless to do anything else once that situation arises.

Yet I literally see or hear of numerous people doing this daily- through talking with friends, or seeing their FB or Strava posts, or behaviors I observe when I go out on a solo ride or rabbiting with the dogs.

It makes me CRAZY ANGRY. To the point where some of the friends doing this, people who I know are intelligent enough to be understanding all this, are making me question whether I really want to be friends with them after all.

I see all these people doing this $hit and I know they’re going to push our healthcare system past it’s breaking point, and people are going to die. Why? Because you need to groom your FB persona to reflect that “you’re living your best life”? Because you feel like you can’t restrict your son from seeing his girlfriend for a few weeks? Because you just HAVE to ride with friends instead of your wife because that’s what you do?

Maybe it makes me angry in part because I need to go out into the world myself on a professional level. But I don’t think that’s it. I understand I could get infected, and there’s some chance I could die. That would suck but doesn’t particularly scare me.

Mostly I think it makes me angry because these are trivial pleasures people are chasing vs the huge impact this has on lives- people dying from the virus, healthcare workers pushed to their breaking point, all the terrible economic impact made worse than it needs be. I see my friends who live a relatively privledged life unable to make relatively tiny sacrifices- just stay home and don’t interact with anyone outside your household- they are unable or unwilling to do that. Damn the consequences to others and to our society.

If I could just stay home, I would. I’d turn off the information stream and just stay home and ignore it all to cope. But I can’t do that, I have to go out into the world, and at work I have to organize other people to try to keep them safe. So I find myself angry a lot, and in disbelief of what I see people doing. And when they’re people I know and formerly liked, now I find myself not liking them much.

So I need some advice as to how to see this and not be angry half of everyday. Maybe I just won’t be able to see some friends in the same light anymore, and I just need to accept that?
I'm in a similar boat, except that I don't have to go out into the world. Our neighbor, who visits Sunday mornings during his dog walk, used the hoax word yesterday. I doubt he will be allowed in for the duration. I'm sorry, but I have no advice at the moment. Maybe later though

Old 03-23-20, 06:37 AM
bampilot06

Bikes: Madone, Emonda, 5500, Ritchey Breakaway

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 10236 Post(s)
Liked 5,181 Times in 2,224 Posts
Originally Posted by ls01
1st corona
2nd snow

the locust are invading saudia arabia. the end is near.
Old 03-23-20, 06:39 AM
Heathpack 
Has a magic bike

Bikes: 2018 Scott Spark, 2015 Fuji Norcom Straight, 2014 BMC GF01, 2013 Trek Madone

Mentioned: 699 Post(s)
Quoted: 4456 Post(s)
Liked 425 Times in 157 Posts
Originally Posted by seedsbelize
I'm in a similar boat, except that I don't have to go out into the world. Our neighbor, who visits Sunday mornings during his dog walk, used the hoax word yesterday. I doubt he will be allowed in for the duration. I'm sorry, but I have no advice at the moment. Maybe later though
If I could just stay in, I’d be fine I think. I’d distance myself from most opportunity to see what’s happening outside of my household and I’d be ok.

Its just my need to be in touch with what’s going on with work that’s killing me.
Old 03-23-20, 06:45 AM
bampilot06

Bikes: Madone, Emonda, 5500, Ritchey Breakaway

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 10236 Post(s)
Liked 5,181 Times in 2,224 Posts

Somehow our society has grown to only care about “me” and “now”. The common good is no longer taken into consideration, nor does it matter. People can’t see past there own noses and nobody else matters. People constantly throw out millienials as being entitled but I see it across all age groups. Social media has really had a negative affect on the world in my opinion. If people wouldn’t get rewarded by likes or followers, it might help curve people doing reckless things and posting it for views.
This is just my opinion. I don’t have facebook, instagram, twitter, myspace or anything other than strava.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.