Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Addiction LXXVII

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Addiction LXXVII

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-20, 06:46 AM
MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10165 Post(s)
Liked 5,853 Times in 3,152 Posts
Originally Posted by Heathpack
I need some group advice as to how to structure my brain and emotions re: our COVID lockdown.

I fully understand that to contain this virus we need to lock our interactions down China style. No meeting up with friends, not having your son move from his household to his girlfriends household and then back to yours, no selfies and hugging with friends when you go out to meet up for a run, no going out for an allowed hike/bike and then getting into close proximity and continuing on anyway as if you’re powerless to do anything else once that situation arises.

Yet I literally see or hear of numerous people doing this daily- through talking with friends, or seeing their FB or Strava posts, or behaviors I observe when I go out on a solo ride or rabbiting with the dogs.

It makes me CRAZY ANGRY. To the point where some of the friends doing this, people who I know are intelligent enough to be understanding all this, are making me question whether I really want to be friends with them after all.

I see all these people doing this $hit and I know they’re going to push our healthcare system past it’s breaking point, and people are going to die. Why? Because you need to groom your FB persona to reflect that “you’re living your best life”? Because you feel like you can’t restrict your son from seeing his girlfriend for a few weeks? Because you just HAVE to ride with friends instead of your wife because that’s what you do?

Maybe it makes me angry in part because I need to go out into the world myself on a professional level. But I don’t think that’s it. I understand I could get infected, and there’s some chance I could die. That would suck but doesn’t particularly scare me.

Mostly I think it makes me angry because these are trivial pleasures people are chasing vs the huge impact this has on lives- people dying from the virus, healthcare workers pushed to their breaking point, all the terrible economic impact made worse than it needs be. I see my friends who live a relatively privledged life unable to make relatively tiny sacrifices- just stay home and don’t interact with anyone outside your household- they are unable or unwilling to do that. Damn the consequences to others and to our society.

If I could just stay home, I would. I’d turn off the information stream and just stay home and ignore it all to cope. But I can’t do that, I have to go out into the world, and at work I have to organize other people to try to keep them safe. So I find myself angry a lot, and in disbelief of what I see people doing. And when they’re people I know and formerly liked, now I find myself not liking them much.

So I need some advice as to how to see this and not be angry half of everyday. Maybe I just won’t be able to see some friends in the same light anymore, and I just need to accept that?
I think I know exactly how you feel and I see humans failing to act in their or Society's interest (as we see it) all the time—in traffic, politics, the environment, diet, drug abuse, consumer debt and failure to save, and so on. However, for me, at least in my more understanding moments, lack of "foresight" or "discipline" is like the fact that I suck at linear algebra and ride slow. i.e., some combination of genetics and environment, not "laziness." I hope no one looks down on me too much for those failings. If I think in biological-deterministic, rather than moral, terms I have a lot more empathy and acceptance. In other words, I think most people are doing their best most of the time. All that fatalistic stuff said, I think we can still work with people by trying to understand them (you obviously do) and bringing them along respectfully.
Likes For MoAlpha:
Old 03-23-20, 07:18 AM
LAJ
So it is

Bikes: Luzerne, 684, Boreas, Wheelhouse, Alize©®, Bayamo, Cayo

Mentioned: 246 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11398 Post(s)
Liked 4,745 Times in 2,763 Posts
@Heathpack, I don't have any advice, because I'm just as pissed off as you are. I have one solution, and it would be strictly a "makes me feel good" thing... If my work shuts down, I will go to a local Walmart, mask on, and stand next to a clerk working in a non-essential department, and blow off steam to any ******* that gives one of those clerks any guff. I don't work there, so there will be no reporting me to a supervisor... Leash your kids, and go put em in the car, along with your husband or wife that chose to bring the whole brood in. We just need one of you in here, thank you.

We are in the middle of idiocracy, and it really pisses me off.
Likes For LAJ:
Old 03-23-20, 07:25 AM
MoAlpha
• —

Originally Posted by LAJ
@Heathpack, I don't have any advice, because I'm just as pissed off as you are. I have one solution, and it would be strictly a "makes me feel good" thing... If my work shuts down, I will go to a local Walmart, mask on, and stand next to a clerk working in a non-essential department, and blow off steam to any ******* that gives one of those clerks any guff. I don't work there, so there will be no reporting me to a supervisor... Leash your kids, and go put em in the car, along with your husband or wife that chose to bring the whole brood in. We just need one of you in here, thank you.

We are in the middle of idiocracy, and it really pisses me off.
Well, that's the other approach.
Old 03-23-20, 07:26 AM
ericy
Señor Member

Bikes: Giant OCR2, Trek DS 8.3

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 416 Post(s)
Liked 48 Times in 32 Posts
I need some group advice as to how to structure my brain and emotions re: our COVID lockdown.
I was kind of the same way when I saw pictures of packed beaches in Florida. It is weird though - I feel like I am watching this unfold in slow motion. I could have sworn that this was 2 weeks ago, and it was really just a few days ago. We have a neighbor who was on one of those cruise ships that will only get released from quarantine later this week. A day or two ago, our own Governor closed down the local beaches after he saw crowds of people out on the boardwalk. Apparently if you just want to go out by yourself with your dog, that's still allowed.

It isn't just irresponsible behavior like this - it is the irrational hoarding of stuff. Toilet paper? Just why of all of the things you might need would you hoard that? People are buying all sorts of food, and some of the stuff is just going to go bad before they get a chance to eat it (other stuff can be frozen, I guess). People are also hoarding masks, hand sanitizers. Any time there is a mention in the news about some medication that *might* be useful in treating symptoms, there seems to be a run on that. Either doctors are prescribing it for their own use, or there are irresponsible doctors (maybe the same ones that hand out opiates like candy) that will write you a prescription for whatever you ask for.

On the flip side there are companies that are stepping up to switch their entire production run into making something else, and sometimes they turn this around in 24 hours. Masks and gowns seem to be the #1 thing that there are shortages of right now. A few days ago, there were people at home with sewing machines making masks - some hospitals have enough supply from local suppliers that they are no longer asking for that.

A few days ago, I saw distilleries switching over to make hand sanitizer. Harbor Freight basically came out and said that they would give all of the N95 masks that they have in inventory to hospitals and health care facilities. Some companies have said they will start making ventilators - I have my doubts that something that high-tech can easily be made, but then again they could probably make a low-tech version that just performs the basic function without a lot of bells and whistles, so maybe they can make this work.
Old 03-23-20, 07:34 AM
LAJ
So it is

Originally Posted by MoAlpha
6 hours on the trainer brings a new perspective on things. Seriously, they asked us not to ride on the street due to valuable hospital beds. Does that mean we are promised to be injured? Not even, but not a single one of us has gone out on a bike an thought "today is a good to to get into a swerve". Even this place can't follow a simple ask such as that.
Old 03-23-20, 07:36 AM
seedsbelize 
smelling the roses

Bikes: 79 Trek 930, 80 Trek 414, 84 Schwinn Letour Luxe (coupled), 92 Schwinn Paramount PDG 5

Mentioned: 104 Post(s)
Quoted: 7081 Post(s)
Liked 901 Times in 612 Posts
Redacted

Old 03-23-20, 07:54 AM
BillyD
Administrator

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene '04; Bridgestone RB-1 '92

Mentioned: 325 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11960 Post(s)
Liked 6,629 Times in 3,477 Posts
If I could just stay in, I’d be fine I think. I’d distance myself from most opportunity to see what’s happening outside of my household and I’d be ok.

Its just my need to be in touch with what’s going on with work that’s killing me.
Well don’t let it kill you literally. BRB
Old 03-23-20, 07:57 AM
MoAlpha
• —

Originally Posted by LAJ
6 hours on the trainer brings a new perspective on things. Seriously, they asked us not to ride on the street due to valuable hospital beds. Does that mean we are promised to be injured? Not even, but not a single one of us has gone out on a bike an thought "today is a good to to get into a swerve". Even this place can't follow a simple ask such as that.
...and yet they let any idiot drive around like a maniac for the hell of it.

I really need to find a way to stop compulsively checking news sources. I can feel it raising my anxiety level.
Likes For MoAlpha:
Old 03-23-20, 07:57 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
Yes, I see some of the same frustrating things, but I'm trying to look at the bigger picture. In the bigger picture, I see very light traffic where it was recently quite heavy. I see shopping districts with very low foot traffic (primarily going to the grocers and bakers) when they were abustle two weeks ago. On the whole, I'm actually quite pleasantly surprised that so many have received the message and are listening to it.

In terms of frustrating friends via social media... I actually haven't seen it, but I've pretty much unplugged myself from facebook (which seems to be the most soapboxy platform out there). I would say, though, to take it with a grain of salt simply because these outlets are often highly curated and distilled - people are, in general, living much more boring lives than they depict, and that includes the frustrating stuff, too.
Old 03-23-20, 08:03 AM
Velo Vol 
VFL For Life

Bikes: Velo Volmobile

Mentioned: 780 Post(s)
Quoted: 28595 Post(s)
Liked 1,855 Times in 1,317 Posts
I fully understand that to contain this virus we need to lock our interactions down China style. No meeting up with friends, not having your son move from his household to his girlfriends household and then back to yours, no selfies and hugging with friends when you go out to meet up for a run, no going out for an allowed hike/bike and then getting into close proximity and continuing on anyway as if you’re powerless to do anything else once that situation arises.
I get taking chances to keep the lights on (i.e., work). To do so for social outings, not so much.

That said, I rode (solo) outside yesterday, and would do so again. Don't @ me.
Old 03-23-20, 08:06 AM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Quoted: 22590 Post(s)
Liked 8,924 Times in 4,157 Posts
Here is copy of email I just sent to my club-mates:

​​​​​​-------------- All,

As many of you know, I am a physician who loves riding outdoors and leading group rides. We are in uncharted territory, but I do have some further advice above/beyond the club policy of no club rides for now...

Several of us have tried riding in small groups with "social distancing" but that has not worked for a couple reasons. First of all, we are friends and used to riding together so staying away is not easy. But more importantly, the "social distance" rules do not apply when riding outside. If a rider 30 feet in front of you sneezes or coughs, you are still getting exposed to some of the droplets as you ride through.

My advice is as follows:
  1. Ride remotely on a trainer or Zwift or GreshFit, etc.
  2. Ride solo (but carefully with lights and high-vis clothing, and tell someone where you are going)
  3. If you somehow feel obligated to NOT ride solo, ride with ONE other rider and keep a couple hundred feet apart at all times.
I know this sounds harsh, but we are in unusual times, and the situation is likely going to get worse before it gets better.

Ride safe!

Douglas Atlas MD
Likes For datlas:
Old 03-23-20, 08:10 AM
Heathpack 
Has a magic bike

Bikes: 2018 Scott Spark, 2015 Fuji Norcom Straight, 2014 BMC GF01, 2013 Trek Madone

Mentioned: 699 Post(s)
Quoted: 4456 Post(s)
Liked 425 Times in 157 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
Yes, I see some of the same frustrating things, but I'm trying to look at the bigger picture. In the bigger picture, I see very light traffic where it was recently quite heavy. I see shopping districts with very low foot traffic (primarily going to the grocers and bakers) when they were abustle two weeks ago. On the whole, I'm actually quite pleasantly surprised that so many have received the message and are listening to it.

In terms of frustrating friends via social media... I actually haven't seen it, but I've pretty much unplugged myself from facebook (which seems to be the most soapboxy platform out there). I would say, though, to take it with a grain of salt simply because these outlets are often highly curated and distilled - people are, in general, living much more boring lives than they depict, and that includes the frustrating stuff, too.
But the crux of this is: getting self isolation 90% right doesn’t achieve the goal, which is not collapsing our healthcare system. We need to get it 97 or 98% right. I’m not sure of the exact numbers, but you get the point. The way we’re doing is NOT enough.

And the FB thing- I don’t care that I have a friend portraying her life to be rosier than it is. I care that she went out running with a friend who isn’t part of her household and posted multiple heads together selfies, pics of them hugging, etc. And every response to that was delight, maybe 25 of her friends piped up encouraging things. This friend owns her own engineering firm. She’s financially well off, and an educated person. So it’s not about understanding FB is fake. It’s about her posting photographic proof of her lack of self isolation and a bunch of people she knows thinking that’s great. And her not responding to my WTF? text.
Old 03-23-20, 08:13 AM
MoAlpha
• —

But the crux of this is: getting self isolation 90% right doesn’t achieve the goal, which is not collapsing our healthcare system. We need to get it 97 or 98% right. I’m not sure of the exact numbers, but you get the point. The way we’re doing is NOT enough.

And the FB thing- I don’t care that I have a friend portraying her life to be rosier than it is. I care that she went out running with a friend who isn’t part of her household and posted multiple heads together selfies, pics of them hugging, etc. And every response to that was delight, maybe 25 of her friends piped up encouraging things. This friend owns her own engineering firm. She’s financially well off, and an educated person. So it’s not about understanding FB is fake. It’s about her posting photographic proof of her lack of self isolation and a bunch of people she knows thinking that’s great. And her not responding to my WTF? text.
Okay. I'll make a value judgment. Selfish and solipsistic.
Old 03-23-20, 08:13 AM
Trsnrtr
Super Modest

Bikes: Trek Emonda, Giant Propel, Colnago V3, Co-Motion Supremo, ICE VTX WC

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Quoted: 10963 Post(s)
Liked 4,620 Times in 2,123 Posts
My wife and I were just talking about this shelter in place thing and reminisced about how back in 2016 we were both laid up for 5 weeks after our tandem crash. Because neither of us were allowed to drive or ride, we were essentially housebound except when someone would take us to the doctor. To be honest, we remember those 5 weeks fondly and actually enjoyed it.

Now, the difference is instead of friends bringing food and supplies to us, we can drive ourselves to the grocery store if need be which we did this AM. So far, life is good.

Saw a few empty shelves but all in all, the grocery store was calm and had enough stuff for the two of us to avoid going out for quite awhile. The only thing my wife couldn’t find was dishwasher tablets.

Old 03-23-20, 08:21 AM
rjones28 
Mostly Harmless

Bikes: Have two wheels

Mentioned: 169 Post(s)
Quoted: 13710 Post(s)
Liked 4,525 Times in 2,504 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi

Speaking of...

One of my friends posted her regular weekly happy hour with her girlfriends night. They did it via Skype.
Likes For rjones28:
Old 03-23-20, 08:21 AM
seedsbelize 
smelling the roses

Bikes: 79 Trek 930, 80 Trek 414, 84 Schwinn Letour Luxe (coupled), 92 Schwinn Paramount PDG 5

Mentioned: 104 Post(s)
Quoted: 7081 Post(s)
Liked 901 Times in 612 Posts
It's just not real until it is. Then it's too late. There are scores of examples out there. I didn't learn to practice skillsaw safety until I got bit doing something I knew better than to do. Couldn't work for weeks. I haven't attempted it since. In this case, we will all see what can happen when we think only of ourself. And nothing will change. Perhaps we will finally learn from it.

Old 03-23-20, 08:25 AM
abshipp 

Bikes: 1975 Motobecane Grand Jubile, 2020 Holdsworth Competition, 2022 Giant Trance 29 3

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 3357 Post(s)
Liked 3,636 Times in 1,242 Posts
Originally Posted by Velo Vol
I get taking chances to keep the lights on (i.e., work). To do so for social outings, not so much.

That said, I rode (solo) outside yesterday, and would do so again. Don't @ me.
I'm slightly nervous about my wife watching a kid that she used to full-time nanny for. More nervous for his immunocompromised mother than for my wife, even though I believe our chance of exposure is quite low and neither of us have displayed symptoms.

Probably going to go ride solo tonight.

I'm seeing probably 98% of my social media contacts doing the right thing and effectively self-isolating, if that helps. Or at least they are doing a great job of pretending that they're doing things right.

Originally Posted by datlas
Here is copy of email I just sent to my club-mates:
And in direct contradiction to what I said above, I'm still seeing a group of gravelers group riding.

Originally Posted by Trsnrtr
Saw a few empty shelves but all in all, the grocery store was calm and had enough stuff for the two of us to avoid going out for quite awhile. The only thing my wife couldn’t find was dishwasher tablets.
No eggs to be found at our local grocery. Everything else is in good supply, though
Old 03-23-20, 08:29 AM
Trsnrtr
Super Modest

Originally Posted by abshipp
No eggs to be found at our local grocery. Everything else is in good supply, though
Our local Walmart must have just got a load in as the egg section was full. Haven't figured out the egg hoarding. Chickens work everyday.

Old 03-23-20, 08:37 AM
Velo Vol 
VFL For Life

Bikes: Velo Volmobile

Mentioned: 780 Post(s)
Quoted: 28595 Post(s)
Liked 1,855 Times in 1,317 Posts
The only thing my wife couldn’t find was dishwasher tablets.
Uh oh.

Old 03-23-20, 08:37 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
I know enough about numbers to know that my perception isn't good enough of an indication when it comes to the levels of compliance that we're talking about.

Okay. I'll make a value judgment. Selfish and solipsistic.
Yup. So maybe she's a ****. If you've got enough friends, some are bound to be ****s and if you've got enough friends, you can afford to cull the ****s. Otherwise, what are you going to do? Choose your friends, say your piece and move on, even if it's in sorrow. Don't hang on to the anger and frustration unless you're going to do something with it, though.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 03-23-20, 08:39 AM
LAJ
So it is

Facebook is the devil. It really got to be too much, and I stepped off a few months ago. I miss the dogs and the pigs, but many of the people? Not so much.
Likes For LAJ:
Old 03-23-20, 08:41 AM
MoAlpha
• —

Our local Walmart must have just got a load in as the egg section was full. Haven't figured out the egg hoarding. Chickens work everyday.
Will trade eggs for raisins and organic whole milk.
Old 03-23-20, 08:42 AM
Trsnrtr
Super Modest

Originally Posted by Velo Vol
Uh oh.
Yeah, we laughed about that. Have to wash by hand which we did for 10 years in our old house after the DW quit.

Old 03-23-20, 08:43 AM
MoAlpha
• —

Originally Posted by LAJ
Facebook is the devil. It really got to be too much, and I stepped off a few months ago. I miss the dogs and the pigs, but many of the people? Not so much.
Never got into it. Daughter warned us off when she was, like, 14.
Old 03-23-20, 08:45 AM
Trsnrtr
Super Modest

Will trade eggs for raisins and organic whole milk.
Seriously, we had little trouble getting what we needed, didn’t check the TP or paper products aisle. They even had ground beef if one is so inclined.

No canned soup but a lot of Ramen noodles.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.