Go Back  Bike Forums > The Lounge > Coronavirus/COVID-19
Reload this Page >

Posting some info from another member re Coronovirus

Notices
Coronavirus/COVID-19 Discussion of the novel coronavirus

Posting some info from another member re Coronovirus

Old 03-24-20, 09:26 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5778 Post(s)
Liked 419 Times in 278 Posts
Originally Posted by skookum View Post
Tests don't cost $3000, people are not charged for them , but the lack of tests is a huge disaster in the US, caused by bureaucratic ineptitude at the CDC and the FDA and a glaring lack of political leadership. Testing has been opened up now and a bunch of places are doing them, still not enough but it should get better. I saw today where somebody has started an at home test where you collect your own swab and mail it in. It will cost $135, I think. If I can find the link I will post it. https://reason.com/2020/03/23/fda-sh...id-19-testing/
Greta. How reliable is that? I know people (not "i ahve read about people onl;ine---I have talked to Real People---who know that tests cost $3500 because they were sick and went to get tested, couldn't afford it, and were not covered by insurance ... and opted not to pay many weeks salary for the two tests (the people were told they might need a follow-up test.)

Yeah, one town in Colorado has drive-through testing---for people who have the time to drive to Colorado. And how good is the online test?

Hopefully, very accurate. And hopefully free tests or at least affordable tests will be widely available very soon. please list all the places you can go to get free tests.

Not looking for a fight ... but I posted this shortly after a conversation with a lady who has symptoms and could not afford the test, which was also not covered by her insurance .... and since she is someone I know, i give her word a lot of weight ... and since she is coping with a potentially fatal infection, i figure she isn't joking. Who knows?
Old 03-24-20, 09:53 PM
SHBR
C*pt*i* Obvious

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 583 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 35 Posts
Who needs testing when you have drive through confessions!

Old 03-24-20, 10:44 PM
skookum
cyclotourist

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 310 Post(s)
Liked 108 Times in 65 Posts
This article is a couple of weeks old but it details the confused state of testing and cost of tests.

Coronavirus (COVID-9) test cost: Do you have to pay? And how do you get the test? The picture unfolds.
Old 03-24-20, 10:49 PM
skookum
cyclotourist

How to make your own mask: Hong Kong scientists reveal temporary solution for those unable to get protective gear because of panic buying and price-gouging
Old 03-24-20, 11:14 PM
JackieYan

Bikes: Merida Big Seven

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
I see in the middle of the article it says:
"Note: The hospital said other materials such as cling film, air conditioner filter paper, and cotton cloth were not suitable for making the masks."
Cling film? This 'note' is presumably for the hard-of-learning?

There's a link here regarding masks and respirators, and the better ones to wear:
https://fastlifehacks.com/n95-vs-ffp/
I notice it says about masks: "Designed for one way protection, to capture bodily fluid leaving the wearer", and "Contrary to belief, masks are NOT designed to protect the wearer".
Old 03-25-20, 04:00 AM
wolfchild

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 1755 Post(s)
Liked 406 Times in 225 Posts
Originally Posted by Maelochs View Post
Greta. How reliable is that? I know people (not "i ahve read about people onl;ine---I have talked to Real People---who know that tests cost $3500 because they were sick and went to get tested, couldn't afford it, and were not covered by insurance ... and opted not to pay many weeks salary for the two tests (the people were told they might need a follow-up test.)

Yeah, one town in Colorado has drive-through testing---for people who have the time to drive to Colorado. And how good is the online test?

Hopefully, very accurate. And hopefully free tests or at least affordable tests will be widely available very soon. please list all the places you can go to get free tests.

Not looking for a fight ... but I posted this shortly after a conversation with a lady who has symptoms and could not afford the test, which was also not covered by her insurance .... and since she is someone I know, i give her word a lot of weight ... and since she is coping with a potentially fatal infection, i figure she isn't joking. Who knows?
If the government really cared about protecting their people they wouldn't be charging $3000 to do a test. With so many people under lockdowns and unable to work, and loosing their jobs, how are they supposed to pay ??...the government has failed its people. Not surprising at all.
Old 03-25-20, 04:09 AM
wolfchild

Taiwan and Korea tested lots of people and made sure that they stayed quarantined, using mobile phone data (among other things) to track them. It worked very well, but I don't know if you could implement that in North America.
Canadian government is considering using cellphone data to track people who violate social distancing and quarantine orders...It hasn't happened yet but if people keep acting stupid and ignoring the orders, then it might happen. It really irks me when I still see people going to beaches and parties and other social gatherings and failing to take precautions.
Old 03-25-20, 04:21 AM
livedarklions
Cyclesomatic

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Motobecane Fantom CX; Giant OCR A1

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 3734 Post(s)
Liked 2,513 Times in 1,441 Posts
Is this thread thoroughly political at this point?
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 03-25-20, 04:40 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 192 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11236 Post(s)
Liked 2,821 Times in 1,574 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions View Post
Is this thread thoroughly political at this point?
Yes. And religical.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 03-25-20, 05:20 AM
SHBR
C*pt*i* Obvious

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 583 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 35 Posts
They are testing all international arrivals before they enter the mainland.

The test takes 3 hours, getting out of the airport can take almost 12 hours, combine that with flights that average between 8 ~ 12 hours, no water, no toilet.

Its a great experience.

Last edited by SHBR; 03-25-20 at 05:23 AM.
Old 03-25-20, 06:35 AM
skookum
cyclotourist

Originally Posted by SHBR View Post
They are testing all international arrivals before they enter the mainland.

The test takes 3 hours, getting out of the airport can take almost 12 hours, combine that with flights that average between 8 ~ 12 hours, no water, no toilet.

Its a great experience.
What kind of test? If its ready in 3 hours I am thinking some kind of serological test for antibodies.
I thought they were just automatically quarantining everybody for 14 days, to help support the hotel business. Maybe it depends on where you are disembarking. Is that in Shanghai?

Last edited by skookum; 03-25-20 at 06:39 AM. Reason: spolling
Old 03-25-20, 06:38 AM
skookum
cyclotourist

Originally Posted by wolfchild View Post
Canadian government is considering using cellphone data to track people who violate social distancing and quarantine orders...It hasn't happened yet but if people keep acting stupid and ignoring the orders, then it might happen. It really irks me when I still see people going to beaches and parties and other social gatherings and failing to take precautions.

As much as I hate the idea of being tracked by the government (or anybody - I have all that turned off on my phone), it seems to be the only way to control things without shutting everything down.
Old 03-25-20, 07:30 AM
biketampa

Bikes: 2014 Jamis Ventura Race, 2014 Cervelo P2, 2017 Raleigh Tamland 1, 2015 Jamis Trail X

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 17 Posts
Originally Posted by wolfchild View Post
how can they track violation of social distancing orders? are they talking about tracking whether people were somewhere with crowds? Because if I run around the block where there might be a few people out and about they can't possible fine tune it at that level
Old 03-25-20, 09:10 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

The thing we need to consider here .... if people are too stupid not to infect each other, how long until the National Guard gets called? Already, in NYC, from what I have seen.

Stay HOME, people.

And for us ....... Ride your bikes solo.
Old 03-25-20, 10:38 AM
Jicafold

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 203 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 34 Posts
We went under shelter in place orders today in San Antonio. However, reading the official order, there are so many exceptions I'm not sure it really makes any difference. If you are not like a hair salon or massage parlor you can stay open. Bike shops are allowed to stay open.
Old 03-25-20, 12:17 PM
prairiepedaler

Bikes: BRC Explorer 43lb'er, Raleigh Elkhorn, Cannondale SM600, Maruishi MT18 Frame, Sekine Toledo Frame

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 65 Times in 39 Posts
Remember the Swine Flu from 2009?

Zero panic then.

Old 03-25-20, 12:24 PM
prairiepedaler

Bikes: BRC Explorer 43lb'er, Raleigh Elkhorn, Cannondale SM600, Maruishi MT18 Frame, Sekine Toledo Frame

As much as I hate the idea of being tracked by the government (or anybody - I have all that turned off on my phone), it seems to be the only way to control things without shutting everything down.
Wow. It's remarkable you'd be so terrified as to willingly allow that. If you allow fear to be your guide then be prepared to be manipulated and suffer the consequences. In terms of shutting everything down, there are always alternatives.
Old 03-25-20, 02:19 PM
Kapusta
Cyclochondriac

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 1367 Post(s)
Liked 527 Times in 330 Posts
Originally Posted by prairiepedaler View Post
Remember the Swine Flu from 2009?

Zero panic then.

At the time of that clip, a vaccine was available.
Likes For Kapusta:
Old 03-25-20, 02:44 PM
Kapusta
Cyclochondriac

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 1367 Post(s)
Liked 527 Times in 330 Posts
Originally Posted by prairiepedaler View Post
Wow. It's remarkable you'd be so terrified as to willingly allow that. If you allow fear to be your guide then be prepared to be manipulated and suffer the consequences. In terms of shutting everything down, there are always alternatives.
People think differently when they are not in denial.
Likes For Kapusta:
Old 03-25-20, 03:00 PM
wolfchild

Originally Posted by biketampa View Post
how can they track violation of social distancing orders? are they talking about tracking whether people were somewhere with crowds? Because if I run around the block where there might be a few people out and about they can't possible fine tune it at that level
This would apply mostly to people who were ordered to be under quarantine or self-isolation because of having symptoms or being sick or travellers who just came back from another country....and it would also apply to people who do dumb things such as having a picnic in a local park with a group of people or some other non-essential social gathering which involves groups of people. Personally I am not worried because I take social distancing very seriously.
Old 03-25-20, 03:10 PM
Jicafold

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 203 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 34 Posts
Originally Posted by Maelochs View Post

Just because you know her doesn't mean she's right. It's free. However, you may be charged other fees such as those for an office visit or emergency room visit.

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/03/04/pence-announces-coronavirus-test-will-be-covered-by-medicaid-medicare.html
Old 03-25-20, 04:02 PM
Maelochs

https://www.healthline.com/health-ne...ll-it-cost-you

How much will coronavirus testing cost?The cost of having a coronavirus test done depends on which lab runs the test and what health insurance you have.

Tests completed by a CDC, state, or city public health laboratory are free to patients. These labs, though, are expected to run only a small fraction of the tests.

Tests run at private or academic labs aren’t free, which means they could bill your health insurer — who could then bill you — for the cost of the test. If you’re uninsured, you’d be billed directly, possibly for the entire cost.
Old 03-25-20, 04:16 PM
Maelochs

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/no...ted-2020-03-05

Troubling stories about steep medical bills have been spreading along with the disease. In Miami, a man who got tested after a work trip to China reportedly racked up $3,270 in hospital charges. A Pennsylvania man set up a GoFundMe page to help pay for $3,918 in surprise bills after he was evacuated from China and quarantined with his three-year-old daughter.

In Kansas, a debate coach who traveled to Shanghai for a tournament in mid-January was tested at a Kansas hospital for the coronavirus and other ailments and received a $983 bill a few weeks later, he told MarketWatch. ……

Going forward, tests will be conducted at sites including hospitals. And those sites will most likely want to bill an insurer, Kates [Jen Kates, senior vice president and director of global health and HIV policy at Kaiser Family Foundation] said. So how much will it cost patients to get the coronavirus test? “It is going to be a function of whether or not they are insured and what kind of coverage they have,” Kates said. “They could face the cost of a doctor’s office or hospital outpatient or ER visit — a particular issue for those who are uninsured or have a high deductible.”
Old 03-25-20, 04:17 PM
Maelochs

Some insurers are choosing to waive copays. People who are not on Medicaid or Medicaire apparently pay whatever their insurers decide they should pay. Hopefully, there will actually be tests wherever people go to get tested.
Old 03-25-20, 04:41 PM
prairiepedaler

Originally Posted by Kapusta View Post
People think differently when they are not in denial.
There was no panic beforehand. Not for Sars, Bird, Swine, Mers, Ebola, Zika, Ebola 2. Not even for vaccineless HIV

Only now.

We can agree that people think differently. Some not at all.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.