Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Quarantine shop cleaning/organizing challenge

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Quarantine shop cleaning/organizing challenge

Old 03-25-20, 01:47 PM
billnuke1 

Bikes: Only my riders left...

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 350 Post(s)
Liked 782 Times in 389 Posts
Klein Aeolus...

Originally Posted by masi61
I always wanted a Quantum Pro with the proprietary collet headset/stem but never went that route when they were being made. The used white Quantum frame was only about 80$ for the bare frame. I have to press in the Phil Wood external bottom bracket bearings since my intention is to run Shimano Hollowtech cranks. The red Stage in the picture is new old stock with lovely red paint. The longer wheelbase I think might allow fenders - I plan to check clearances. The Stage frame has a threaded English bottom bracket, external cable routing and rear facing rear dropouts. I believe it also has a 3rd set of water bottle cage bosses underneath the seat tube. I like the beefy look of the fat tubes and the 31.6 seatpost is a Fizik carbon which looks good.
I’ve got this...

Wheels are there to get off the floor...5lbs with out the wheels...
Old 03-25-20, 03:25 PM
masi61

Bikes: Puch Marco Polo, Saint Tropez, Masi Gran Criterium

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1158 Post(s)
Liked 439 Times in 312 Posts
Originally Posted by billnuke1
I’ve got this...

Wheels are there to get off the floor...5lbs with out the wheels...
Are those 650b wheels? Did you use this bike for time trials or triathlons?
Old 03-25-20, 03:49 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 510 Post(s)
Quoted: 7287 Post(s)
Liked 2,362 Times in 1,381 Posts
Originally Posted by gugie
I think if you're at that point, just put it all in the recycle bin.
You have a point!

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 03-25-20, 03:50 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5218 Post(s)
Liked 3,564 Times in 2,331 Posts
purchased the house from a general contractor. He had a lot of goodies pulled from old demos, these drawers were one of them. Wood on wood slides, I pulled them all out and beeswaxed the sliding surfaces. I think they're due for a rewax.
I have an old dresser, wood on wood slides. I used the dresser growing up & my 93 yr old Dad used it when he was growing up! that dresser is holding a bunch of bike stuff now in my basement. the drawers are a disaster. so, beeswax, huh?
Old 03-25-20, 03:53 PM
billnuke1 

Pic was taken some time ago, 700 something wheels...This is how it was received in a bulk deal...I don’t see it from my command center/seat, so it musta gone up stairs...conversation piece at this point...the paint transitions from gold to orange to red...
Old 03-25-20, 04:27 PM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Mentioned: 191 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2910 Post(s)
Liked 2,830 Times in 1,457 Posts
I don't currently have a work area so I can't participate. Fortunately we are still working, for now.

Funny thing happened this morning, there was sort of a traffic jam in the cemetery I delivered to. I was coming out the service road and the guy delivering vaults was coming in!! His truck was bigger than this though and he was carrying about 8 vaults

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Old 03-25-20, 04:40 PM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Bikes: It's complicated.

Mentioned: 1299 Post(s)
Quoted: 4667 Post(s)
Liked 5,766 Times in 2,271 Posts
Originally Posted by rumrunn6
I have an old dresser, wood on wood slides. I used the dresser growing up & my 93 yr old Dad used it when he was growing up! that dresser is holding a bunch of bike stuff now in my basement. the drawers are a disaster. so, beeswax, huh?
Specifically, beeswax from the Riv and Dell Cult, cause, Savings and Loan gotta keep in business.
Old 03-25-20, 06:11 PM
billnuke1 

Things disappear here...

...notice the dupes...

Oh! There’s those screwdrivers...mmmm, all the same size...I need another Kaddie...
Likes For billnuke1:
Old 03-25-20, 06:15 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4493 Post(s)
Liked 6,297 Times in 3,632 Posts
Originally Posted by rumrunn6
Paraffin or bar soap will also get you there.
Likes For merziac:
Old 03-25-20, 06:44 PM
Mad Honk 

Bikes: Paramount, Faggin, Ochsner, Ciocc, Basso

Mentioned: 114 Post(s)
Quoted: 1283 Post(s)
Liked 1,835 Times in 1,109 Posts
BianchiGirll,
That wasn't your truck was it? I've been SIP as per the Gov's order, but had to go outside today. 60* and the college kids behind my house were out playing beer pong. Stoopid neighbor across the street tried to commit suicide by tree, so I went out and did a calculated fall of the tree with my old truck and some rope (He had it going onto the three cars across the street). Then spent 20 minutes cleaning up the mess with a chain saw. Not in my plans but he had his wife terrified, so I did my civic duty and violated the six foot rule.
Now if you want to do some shop clean up, a minor three hour drive not unlike Gilligan's tour, and you can be cleaning up in the old Mad Honk's shop! Hey I'll even buy the beer. ( I'm hoping Upland will deliver, they are an essential business aren't they?) Smiles, MH

Last edited by Mad Honk; 03-25-20 at 06:50 PM.
Old 03-25-20, 08:55 PM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Bikes: It's complicated.

Mentioned: 1299 Post(s)
Quoted: 4667 Post(s)
Liked 5,766 Times in 2,271 Posts
Originally Posted by merziac
Paraffin or bar soap will also get you there.
But how does that help George Bailey?
Old 03-26-20, 03:31 AM
daviddavieboy

Bikes: I have a few

Quoted: 340 Post(s)
Liked 208 Times in 104 Posts
Now here is a challenge I can get behind ! My work space not only is a mess but I still haven't put it back together from the flood 2 years ago. When I tore it apart back then I decided to replace the electrical in the ceiling as well. Not only do I need to clean it up I need to finish running wire for surround sound, dry wall the ceiling and install 2 doors. I'll just have to remember to take out the table saw and miter saw before I install the door frame LOL.

Last edited by daviddavieboy; 03-26-20 at 03:41 AM. Reason: Add pictures
Likes For daviddavieboy:
Old 03-26-20, 07:59 AM
bwilli88 
Not lost wanderer.

Bikes: In USA; 73 Raleigh Super Course dingle speed, 72 Raleigh Gran Sport SS, 72 Geoffry Butler, 81 Centurion Pro-Tour, 74 Gugie Grandier Sportier

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 885 Post(s)
Liked 979 Times in 514 Posts
I am moving, just 200m down the road, loosing my great shop and using a wide alleyway. Ugh.

My old shop↑ and my new one↓

Last edited by bwilli88; 03-26-20 at 08:05 AM.
Likes For bwilli88:
Old 03-26-20, 04:14 PM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Mentioned: 191 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2910 Post(s)
Liked 2,830 Times in 1,457 Posts
Originally Posted by Mad Honk
BianchiGirll,
That wasn't your truck was it? I've been SIP as per the Gov's order, but had to go outside today. 60* and the college kids behind my house were out playing beer pong. Stoopid neighbor across the street tried to commit suicide by tree, so I went out and did a calculated fall of the tree with my old truck and some rope (He had it going onto the three cars across the street). Then spent 20 minutes cleaning up the mess with a chain saw. Not in my plans but he had his wife terrified, so I did my civic duty and violated the six foot rule.
Now if you want to do some shop clean up, a minor three hour drive not unlike Gilligan's tour, and you can be cleaning up in the old Mad Honk's shop! Hey I'll even buy the beer. ( I'm hoping Upland will deliver, they are an essential business aren't they?) Smiles, MH
No ha ha I drive a Triaxle dump. A three hour drive to clean someones else's shop HHhhmmmmm...

Actually I got a letter today deeming me vital to the war effort!!

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Likes For Bianchigirll:
Old 03-26-20, 04:53 PM
billnuke1 

That’s a lot of truck...
Old 03-26-20, 05:54 PM
Mad Honk 

Bikes: Paramount, Faggin, Ochsner, Ciocc, Basso

Mentioned: 114 Post(s)
Quoted: 1283 Post(s)
Liked 1,835 Times in 1,109 Posts
Bianchigirll,
Well at least no-one will get closer than 6' when you are in the cab. And the radios in truck sure do make communication with the yard office easier. Back in the late 70's I had a Bianchi professional that I let my good friend have since he wanted it real bad, then his brother wound up with it after he passed. It was the only one I have ever seen around here. How rare were those rascals? Smiles, MH
Old 03-26-20, 06:24 PM
mechanicmatt
Hoards Thumbshifters

Bikes: '23 Black Mtn MC, '87 Bruce Gordon Chinook, '08 Jamis Aurora, '86 Trek 560, '97 Mongoose Rockadile, & '91 Trek 750

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 245 Post(s)
Liked 322 Times in 189 Posts
Originally Posted by bwilli88
I am moving, just 200m down the road, loosing my great shop and using a wide alleyway. Ugh.

My old shop↑ and my new one↓
Aw man, I loved your old shop for sure.
Old 03-26-20, 06:25 PM
mechanicmatt
Hoards Thumbshifters

Bikes: '23 Black Mtn MC, '87 Bruce Gordon Chinook, '08 Jamis Aurora, '86 Trek 560, '97 Mongoose Rockadile, & '91 Trek 750

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 245 Post(s)
Liked 322 Times in 189 Posts
I think I'm in. My Challenge bike is done, and that area could still use a lot of organizing.
Old 03-27-20, 01:02 PM
dweenk

Bikes: Lots of English 3-speeds, a couple of old road bikes, 3 mountain bikes, 1 hybrid, and a couple of mash-ups

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 887 Post(s)
Liked 335 Times in 225 Posts
I'll never have a clean shop. It is not in my nature, and whenever I try to reform some sort of work/need happens. Whenever I get half-way to to a clean shop (meaning that I am doing nothing useful) my wife steps in and screws up anything that I have cleaned up - she is handy too.
Old 03-29-20, 09:28 AM
JaccoW
Overdoing projects

Bikes: Batavus Randonneur GL, Gazelle Orange Excellent, Gazelle Super Licht, Gazelle Grand Tourist, Gazelle Lausanne, Gazelle Tandem, Koga-Miyata SilverAce, Koga-Miyata WorldTraveller

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 783 Post(s)
Liked 1,215 Times in 677 Posts
I had some bags, paper and various crap still laying around in the shed/bicycle shop so I did some deep cleaning yesterday.

Before:

Letting the bikes out to breathe. If only the Gazelle Superlicht was ready I would have Red, Green/Blue and Gold!

After:
All in all I removed almost 4 wheelbarrows of garbage, broken parts and damp moving boxes. It was a big improvement.

Likes For JaccoW:
Old 03-29-20, 11:36 AM
xiaoman1 

Bikes: A few too many

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1359 Post(s)
Liked 2,173 Times in 1,178 Posts
And we thought there was not enough stuff to continue the B.O.C....just sayin
Ben
Likes For xiaoman1:
Old 03-29-20, 12:24 PM
Oldairhead 
RUSA #3100

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 234 Post(s)
Liked 486 Times in 178 Posts
For me the challenge is setting up an empty space as a multi-purpose workshop after a recent move. This is how I'm doing so far!

Old 03-29-20, 01:04 PM
billnuke1 

Goldfish...

Originally Posted by Oldairhead
For me the challenge is setting up an empty space as a multi-purpose workshop after a recent move. This is how I'm doing so far!

Great area!
Unfortunately I’m like a goldfish...the bigger my tank, the bigger I’m gonna get!
Old 03-29-20, 01:12 PM
JaccoW
Overdoing projects

Bikes: Batavus Randonneur GL, Gazelle Orange Excellent, Gazelle Super Licht, Gazelle Grand Tourist, Gazelle Lausanne, Gazelle Tandem, Koga-Miyata SilverAce, Koga-Miyata WorldTraveller

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 783 Post(s)
Liked 1,215 Times in 677 Posts
Originally Posted by Oldairhead

You Americans and your huge houses. SMH.

That room is bigger than my house. Are you sure you're not just trying to start your own public exhibition or museum?
Old 03-29-20, 02:06 PM
Last ride 76 
1/2 as far in 2x the time

Bikes: Yes, Please.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 499 Post(s)
Liked 285 Times in 222 Posts
Now that a good part of the country is staying home for the near future, we're all looking for something to do related to our hobby.

There's a Quarantine build challenge.

Taking one look at l'Atelier, I thought of another. Show your before pics of your messy shop, clean it up,do all that organizing you've been puttiing off, and post after pics.

For some reason I have three bikes with front flats. Big Red needs some love. Might find some pedals for it while I'm at it.

Here's my pile of tubes that need patching.

This is actually one of the least messy parts of my shop.

I'll try and knock off an area at a time.

Glad to hear I'm not alone. My park stand is somewhat "trapped" temporarily. I wanted to adjust the derailleur stops roughly on my new Cooper build before going out for at test ride. Just enough clearance to manage it... Hooray!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.