Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage > Classic and Vintage Sales
Reload this Page >

A suggestion for all those posting numerous components

Notices
Classic and Vintage Sales Private Sales Only, no online storefronts. All prices must be quoted, we are not an auction site.

A suggestion for all those posting numerous components

Old 03-25-20, 01:49 PM
  #1  
smoothness 
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Hub of the Universe, MA
Posts: 531

Bikes: Centurions, Shoguns, and Stumpjumpers

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
A suggestion for those who wish to list multiple components:

Hopefully many of you are staying at home, especially those at risk to COVID-19. For those who have been deemed an essential service: please stay safe, and thank you for what you are doing.

Now down to brass tacks:

Please consider grouping all of your components into a singular post. Flooding the first page with a listing for each of your items is inconsiderate to those who have organized all of their parts into one encompassing post. It also creates massive visual clutter. Many other forums with a buy/sell component have similar rules in place. Perhaps we should follow in kind?

smoothness

PS: if this is in violation of C&V:S rules, I apologize. Since C&V is a notably civil forum, I hoped that we could work on this together, instead of involving a moderator.
smoothness is offline  
Old 03-25-20, 02:21 PM
  #2  
cb400bill
Inoxidable Moderator
 
cb400bill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Kalamazoo MI
Posts: 17,897

Bikes: Fuji SL 2.1, Schwinn Voyageur, Cannondale Synapse, Raleigh C50, Trek 710, Raleigh Granada, Legnano Pista, Viscount Aerospace Pro

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1866 Post(s)
Liked 1,116 Times in 711 Posts
I'm involved.

When I'm looking for parts I look at the thread titles. If i don't see what I'm looking for I move on. A thread titled something vague like "Suntour parts" or "lots of tires" isn't going to get me to open the thread. Having one or two people post a bunch of stuff and monopolizing the forum typically hasn't been a problem. If needed, I'd rather we come to a consensus on the amount of threads one person may have at a time. And then I can take that info to the Forum Administrators for consideration.
cb400bill is offline  
Old 03-25-20, 02:38 PM
  #3  
squirtdad
Senior Member
 
squirtdad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: San Jose (Willow Glen) Ca
Posts: 6,933

Bikes: 85 team Miyata (modern 5800 105) , '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) '82 nishiski,

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1127 Post(s)
Liked 338 Times in 259 Posts
Originally Posted by smoothness View Post
Hopefully many of you are staying at home, especially those at risk to COVID-19. For those who have been deemed an essential service: please stay safe, and thank you for what you are doing.

Now down to brass tacks:

Please consider grouping all of your components into a singular post. Flooding the first page with a listing for each of your items is inconsiderate to those who have organized all of their parts into one encompassing post. It also creates massive visual clutter. Many other forums with a buy/sell component have similar rules in place. Perhaps we should follow in kind?

smoothness

PS: if this is in violation of C&V:S rules, I apologize. Since C&V is a notably civil forum, I hoped that we could work on this together, instead of involving a moderator.
truthfully I don't see this as problem, why add rule if not needed?? IMHO, YMMV doesn't matter as long as your ride
__________________
Looking for more time to ride what I have
squirtdad is offline  
Likes For squirtdad:
Old 03-25-20, 02:53 PM
  #4  
USAZorro
Señor Member
 
USAZorro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Hardy, VA
Posts: 16,644

Bikes: Mostly English - predominantly Raleighs

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 881 Post(s)
Liked 166 Times in 119 Posts
Originally Posted by cb400bill View Post
I'm involved.

When I'm looking for parts I look at the thread titles. If i don't see what I'm looking for I move on. A thread titled something vague like "Suntour parts" or "lots of tires" isn't going to get me to open the thread. Having one or two people post a bunch of stuff and monopolizing the forum typically hasn't been a problem. If needed, I'd rather we come to a consensus on the amount of threads one person may have at a time. And then I can take that info to the Forum Administrators for consideration.
I have a question. Is there some non-labor-intensive way to either remove posts once the items or sold, or to somehow indicate this in a way that doesn't require clicking on the thread? I don't consider this to be a problem, but it would be convenient.

Thanks,

Z
__________________
In search of what to search for.
USAZorro is offline  
Old 03-25-20, 03:43 PM
  #5  
clubman 
Youngman Grand
 
clubman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Nova Scotia
Posts: 6,383

Bikes: roadsters, club bikes, fixed and classic

Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1349 Post(s)
Liked 363 Times in 252 Posts
Originally Posted by cb400bill View Post
...Having one or two people post a bunch of stuff and monopolizing the forum typically hasn't been a problem...
Pretty sure we're not there. @smoothness was just offering up some netiquette.

Last edited by cb400bill; 03-25-20 at 03:49 PM.
clubman is offline  
Old 03-25-20, 03:50 PM
  #6  
jeirvine 
Senior Member
 
jeirvine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Bethesda/Baltimore MD
Posts: 3,596

Bikes: '72 Moto Grand Record, '72 Gitane tandem, '72 Raleigh Super Course, '73 Raleigh Gran Sport, '73 and '76 Colnagos Super, '76 Fiorelli Coppi, '78 Raleigh SBDU Team Pro, '78 Trek 930, '81 Holdsworth Special 650B, '86 Masi GC, '87 Panasonic DX5000

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 203 Times in 127 Posts
I think concise yet thorough post titles are the key:

Bunch of parts.
FS: Various NR/SR Cranks, 170, 172.5 w/rings, bolts, & BBs.
__________________
The man who dies with the most toys…is dead. - Rootboy
jeirvine is offline  
Likes For jeirvine:
Old 03-25-20, 04:15 PM
  #7  
tricky
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Upper Left, USA
Posts: 1,230
Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 329 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 61 Posts
I don't mind either way. Both ways have been done well and both ways have been done poorly.
tricky is offline  
Old 03-25-20, 05:15 PM
  #8  
unterhausen
Randomhead
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Happy Valley, Pennsylvania
Posts: 19,730
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 363 Times in 277 Posts
I think the OP can delete the first post in a thread and have the thread go away. It works for me, but the options I get are obviously mod-related.

We will delete a thread at OP request. They should report the first post. Not that big of a deal
unterhausen is offline  
Old 03-25-20, 07:33 PM
  #9  
UKFan4Sure 
Useless Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Louisville, KY
Posts: 736
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 372 Post(s)
Liked 155 Times in 104 Posts
I personally like seeing an individual listing for each part. That way, I know each reply is about THAT part. Someone might reply, "What are the measurements?" Well, the measurements of what part, one might ask (to multiples in a listing). It just gets confusing wondering what has been sold, and what is available, and what is pending if you can't mentally keep up with every component in a multiple listing.

That's my 2 cents.
__________________
2013 Schwinn Paramount Series 8, 2015 Specialized Roubaix Competition, 2008 Trek Portland, 1986 Schwinn LeTour, 1985 Peugeot PGN-10, 1986 Schwinn Voyageur
UKFan4Sure is offline  
Likes For UKFan4Sure:
Old 03-25-20, 08:11 PM
  #10  
Unca_Sam
The dropped
 
Unca_Sam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: Columbus, OH
Posts: 1,244

Bikes: Pake C'Mute Touring/Commuter Build, 1989 Kona Cinder Cone, 1995 Trek 5200

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 925 Post(s)
Liked 372 Times in 269 Posts
Sold listings

On the full website, there's a preview in the pop up when you hover over the listing. I'm very happy when the OP saves me five minutes by editing that first post with SOLD right at the beginning of the thread.
Unca_Sam is offline  
Likes For Unca_Sam:
Old 03-25-20, 10:49 PM
  #11  
mstateglfr 
Sunshine
 
mstateglfr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Des Moines, IA
Posts: 10,273

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '87 Schwinn Prelude, Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo, '18 Diamondback Syncr

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4004 Post(s)
Liked 966 Times in 622 Posts
I rarely look at a thread that says 'bunch of campy' or 'many derailleurs'.
I will look at a thread that says 'suntour barcon shifters' or 'suntour cyclone derailleur set'.
mstateglfr is offline  
Old 03-25-20, 11:36 PM
  #12  
polymorphself 
Senior Member
 
polymorphself's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Arizona
Posts: 577
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 221 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 68 Posts
Originally Posted by jeirvine View Post
I think concise yet thorough post titles are the key:

Bunch of parts.
FS: Various NR/SR Cranks, 170, 172.5 w/rings, bolts, & BBs.
This. really seems like the sweet spot, if anything, and I'm not sure why anyone looking to sell a handful of items in one thread wouldn't go this route.
polymorphself is online now  
Old 03-26-20, 06:08 AM
  #13  
L134 
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: San Diego
Posts: 382

Bikes: 1978 Bruce Gordon, 1978 Lippy, 199? Lippy tandem, Bike Friday NWT, Trek 720(stolen-frame recovered), Rivendell Atlantis

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 17 Posts
Originally Posted by UKFan4Sure View Post
I personally like seeing an individual listing for each part. That way, I know each reply is about THAT part. Someone might reply, "What are the measurements?" Well, the measurements of what part, one might ask (to multiples in a listing). It just gets confusing wondering what has been sold, and what is available, and what is pending if you can't mentally keep up with every component in a multiple listing.

That's my 2 cents.
I agree.
L134 is offline  
Likes For L134:
Old 03-26-20, 09:10 AM
  #14  
Reynolds 531
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Reno nevada
Posts: 460

Bikes: 4 Old school BMX, 6 Klunkers, 5 29er race bikes, 4 restored Sting Rays, Now 3 vintage steel bike being built up

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 207 Post(s)
Liked 47 Times in 35 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr View Post
I rarely look at a thread that says 'bunch of campy' or 'many derailleurs'.
I will look at a thread that says 'suntour barcon shifters' or 'suntour cyclone derailleur set'.
Interesting

The only reason I get out of bed in the morning is for posts that say 'bunch of campy'.
Reynolds 531 is offline  
Likes For Reynolds 531:
Old 03-26-20, 11:11 AM
  #15  
noobinsf 
Senior Member
 
noobinsf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Oakland, CA
Posts: 1,846

Bikes: CURRENT: '82 Univega Competizione, '72 Motobecane Grand Record, '74 Campania Professional, '83 Mercian KOM Touring, '91 Univega Alpina Comp PAST: '72 Puch Bergmeister, '72ish Peugeot UO-8, '86 Univega Gran Premio, '85 Univega Viva Touring

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 568 Post(s)
Liked 254 Times in 185 Posts
I think folks here have been good about balancing the volume of stuff in their posts. Sometimes a bulk post makes sense, and sometimes an individual post makes sense, and so far my experience has been that folks have good instincts about this.

One thing -- I personally find it helpful when bulk posts are updated regularly with sold items marked or removed. My $0.02.
noobinsf is offline  
Likes For noobinsf:
Old 03-26-20, 04:11 PM
  #16  
xiaoman1 
Slightly Mental
 
xiaoman1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Weird Coast City of the Angels
Posts: 2,917

Bikes: A few too many

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 589 Post(s)
Liked 330 Times in 227 Posts
One thing not mentioned with multiple listings is how some of us repond to them...such as PM sent...sent on what, for what etc?.
I have been guilty of this in the past but have modified my replies to identify what I am PMing on so that others have an idea about where they are in the queue.
Ben
xiaoman1 is offline  
Likes For xiaoman1:
Old 03-26-20, 08:07 PM
  #17  
SJX426 
Senior Member
 
SJX426's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Fredericksburg, Va
Posts: 6,879

Bikes: '73 Bottecchia Giro d'Italia, '83 Colnago Superissimo, '84 Trek 610, '84 Trek 760, '88 Pinarello Veneto, '90 De Rosa Professional, '91 Pinarello Montello, '94 Burley Duet, 97 Specialized RockHopper, 2010 Langster, Tern Link D8

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 650 Post(s)
Liked 198 Times in 133 Posts
Yes, I agree with all the responses.!
__________________
Bikes don't stand alone. They are two tired.
SJX426 is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.