Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

ISO and for trade thread part 5

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

ISO and for trade thread part 5

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-20, 11:59 AM
nlerner

Mentioned: 481 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3804 Post(s)
Liked 6,643 Times in 2,602 Posts
Originally Posted by oneclick
Here's how you get those chainring bolts apart.

Get a drill bit just the same or slightly smaller size than the slot on the back-side of the nut.
Mount the workpiece on a drill press and carefully drill a hole, centred in the slot, though the bolt and through the crank arm BUT NOT into the bolt. Measure and use a depth-stop.
Remove the crank, reverse the drill bit and stick the shank into the hole - through the nut into the crank arm. The nut is now locked to the crank arm and you can use all necessary force on the hex-key in the bolt-socket.
I'd be glad to try that except for two things: 1) I don't have a drill press. 2) I sent that crank arm to jonwvara , so I guess it's his problem now!
Old 03-25-20, 02:08 PM
r0ckh0und 

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked 222 Times in 104 Posts
Want to trade my 175mm RX100 road triple for a 170mm

Old 03-25-20, 03:05 PM
USAZorro
Señor Member

Bikes: Mostly English - predominantly Raleighs

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 1491 Post(s)
Liked 1,090 Times in 638 Posts

Get a drill bit just the same or slightly smaller size than the slot on the back-side of the nut.
Mount the workpiece on a drill press and carefully drill a hole, centred in the slot, though the bolt and through the crank arm BUT NOT into the bolt. Measure and use a depth-stop.
Remove the crank, reverse the drill bit and stick the shank into the hole - through the nut into the crank arm. The nut is now locked to the crank arm and you can use all necessary force on the hex-key in the bolt-socket.
I'm trying to visualize this, but am failing miserably. "though the bolt and through the crank arm BUT NOT into the bolt"? First, why drill through the crank arm? Second, how to drill through the bolt, but not into the bolt? I realize that I can be a bit snarky at times, but I promise, this is not one of them. Also, wouldn't using a good vise be simpler?
Old 03-25-20, 06:05 PM
jonwvara 

Bikes: 1966 Dawes Double Blue, 1976 Raleigh Gran Sport, 1975 Raleigh Sprite 27, 1980 Univega Viva Sport, 1971 Gitane Tour de France, 1984 Lotus Classique, 1976 Motobecane Grand Record

Mentioned: 77 Post(s)
Quoted: 764 Post(s)
Liked 656 Times in 348 Posts

I can't quite picture that. Maybe what's confusing me is where you talk about drilling a hole "through the bolt and into the crankarm BUT NOT into the bolt."

As it happens, drilled them out fairly easily by clamping a set of vise grips on to the just-barely-protruding enough slotted heads on the back sides of the chainring bolts, and drilling through the hex-head side. Once you drill through 3mm or so, presto! The head comes right off and the remaining part of the nut/bolt assembly slips right out.

I don't think I described that very well, but maybe this is a problem that resists easily-described solutions.

"Progress might have been all right once, but it has gone on too long."
--Ogden Nash
Old 03-26-20, 08:24 AM
scarlson 

Bikes: Ron Cooper touring, 1959 Jack Taylor 650b ladyback touring tandem, Vitus 979, Joe Bell painted Claud Butler Dalesman, Colin Laing curved tube tandem, heavily-Dilberted 1982 Trek 6xx, René Herse tandem

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Quoted: 964 Post(s)
Liked 1,451 Times in 723 Posts
ISO a 36t 110BCD Biopace ring for my Colin Laing tandem.

Anybody got one lying around?
Old 03-26-20, 07:13 PM
xiaoman1 

Bikes: A few too many

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked 2,178 Times in 1,182 Posts
Originally Posted by Mad Honk
This one is going to Natterberry who asked for it second, and the first person declined to be able to get it. Thanks for saving this oldie but goody Natt! Smiles, MH
Originally Posted by bwilli88
I really really really wanted this but I have a Gran(d) Sport(s) coming from gugie after some of his gugification. I just had to pass, enjoy Natterberry I hope it rides well and fast.
Is it me or is the seat lug broken at the binder?
Ben
Old 03-26-20, 07:23 PM
Mad Honk 

Bikes: Paramount, Faggin, Ochsner, Ciocc, Basso

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 1301 Post(s)
Liked 1,903 Times in 1,137 Posts
Ben,
It is still here thanks to the lock down from Covid19. There is some rust under the braze on both sides of the seat stays as it looks to be a quick brazing with just the top of the braze being finished. It could also be a welded joint where the complete around the tube would not be necessary. All is solid though. Plenty of low grade rusting up there but clean-able. Smiles, MH
Old 03-26-20, 08:43 PM
Iowegian

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by scarlson

I have a black one, moderately worn but usable, IMO. Yours for shipping if you want it.
Likes For Iowegian:
Old 03-27-20, 10:05 AM
oneclick 

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1105 Post(s)
Liked 1,326 Times in 782 Posts
Originally Posted by jonwvara
I can't quite picture that. Maybe what's confusing me is where you talk about drilling a hole "through the bolt and into the crankarm BUT NOT into the bolt."

As it happens, drilled them out fairly easily by clamping a set of vise grips on to the just-barely-protruding enough slotted heads on the back sides of the chainring bolts, and drilling through the hex-head side. Once you drill through 3mm or so, presto! The head comes right off and the remaining part of the nut/bolt assembly slips right out.

I don't think I described that very well, but maybe this is a problem that resists easily-described solutions.
Yes, that'll work, but my way lets you keep the chainring bolt.

To help you see it, there is a three-layer sandwich.
The top layer is the flange of the rear part of the chainring bolt/nut combo, I called it the nut (edit: no I didn't, I called it the bolt - now fixed) above.
The middle layer is the crank-arm-spider.
The bottom layer is the flange of the outer part of the chainring bolt/nut combo, I called it bolt above.
(The whole assembly is upside-down on the press table.)
You drill in the slot because it will help the bit stay put and because the metal is thinner there, and because when you put it back together it won't show as much.
You drill through the top two layers, then put the shank in the hole.
This locks the nut to the arm, and lets the bolt free - when you give it enough welly with the hex key.

Last edited by oneclick; 03-27-20 at 10:52 AM.
Old 03-27-20, 10:08 AM
oneclick 

Originally Posted by USAZorro
I'm trying to visualize this, but am failing miserably. "though the bolt and through the crank arm BUT NOT into the bolt"? First, why drill through the crank arm? Second, how to drill through the bolt, but not into the bolt? I realize that I can be a bit snarky at times, but I promise, this is not one of them. Also, wouldn't using a good vise be simpler?
Sorry - I should have said crank-spider-arm, and for second (perhaps better) description see previous post.
Old 03-27-20, 10:25 AM
oneclick 

Have Dawes Distinction brake hoods, want some little bits

These are rough but useable. I'm after pedal caps for Campy Victory/Triomphe, the nasty square-ended plastic ones, caps for Ofmega Sintesi pedals, a Gian Robert Competiton FD, any french dia top-tube brake cable clips...
Old 03-27-20, 11:31 AM
jeirvine 

Bikes: '72 Motobecane Grand Record, '72 Gitane tandem, '72 Raleigh Super Course, '73 Raleigh Gran Sport, '73 Colnago Super, '76 Fiorelli Coppi, '78 Raleigh SBDU Team Pro, '78 Trek 930, '81 Holdsworth Special 650B, '86 Masi GC, ’94 Bridgestone RB-T

Mentioned: 67 Post(s)
Quoted: 786 Post(s)
Liked 517 Times in 280 Posts
These are rough but useable. I'm after pedal caps for Campy Victory/Triomphe, the nasty square-ended plastic ones, caps for Ofmega Sintesi pedals, a Gian Robert Competiton FD, any french dia top-tube brake cable clips...
Those look like the same white pvc-ish material as the white Carlton/Weinmann hoods. I bet those would clean up great with Magic Eraser.
Old 03-27-20, 12:09 PM
USAZorro
Señor Member

Bikes: Mostly English - predominantly Raleighs

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 1491 Post(s)
Liked 1,090 Times in 638 Posts
Sorry - I should have said crank-spider-arm, and for second (perhaps better) description see previous post.
That does make more sense. Guess it might be a good strategy if my good friend (shown below) can't get the job done.

Old 03-27-20, 03:00 PM
oneclick 

Originally Posted by USAZorro
That does make more sense. Guess it might be a good strategy if my good friend (shown below) can't get the job done.

I have had those, and they can break. Now I just make them from stainless table knives, heat and bend the end, cut the prongs to shape with a dremel cut-off wheel. When it breaks you dremel off the end and make another.

When you need to use such a pin-tool near the limit, clamp it to the chainring with a pair of wood blocks; have the back one overhang the whole tool, and the front one leave clearance for the hex key. It helps if you can brace the tool against another part of the crankset.
Old 03-27-20, 03:13 PM
Stevensb 

Bikes: Condor, Cinelli SC, MKM Metcalfe, Peugeot AE08, Bianchi, Cougar, Miyata, Harry Hall, Holdsworth Special, Raleigh Int'l, Le Croco, Bob Jackson, Zeus

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 102 Times in 53 Posts
ISO Early Shimano brake caliber 'cable pinch bolt nut' (??).

I bought a set of Shimano Dura Ace brake callipers off the Bay and they arrived with both callipers missing the nut to hold what i would call the 'brake cable pinch bolt' ( seen lower left in the following picture) MIA.

Can't just run off to the bolt supply store right now so does anyone out there have a couple of spares they could part with?

Question, would the bolt have metric threads?

TIA

Cheers.

Brad

Shimano pinch bolt nut by BJ Stevens, on Flickr

Old 03-27-20, 04:22 PM
rhm
multimodal commuter

Bikes: 1940s Fothergill, 1959 Allegro Special, 1963? Claud Butler Olympic Sprint, Lambert 'Clubman', 1974 Fuji "the Ace", 1976 Holdsworth 650b conversion rando bike, 1983 Trek 720 tourer, 1984 Counterpoint Opus II, 1993 Basso Gap, 2010 Downtube 8h, and...

Mentioned: 584 Post(s)
Quoted: 1908 Post(s)
Liked 574 Times in 339 Posts
Originally Posted by scarlson

I probably do. I'll go check, then email you.
Old 03-27-20, 04:27 PM
Mad Honk 

Originally Posted by natterberry
Thanks guys! I’m super excited, it shall be brought back to glory.
Natterberry,
I snuck out (under the radar) today. Picked up a shipping box left out on the back of one of our shops here in town, then packed it up. Again under the radar, I was able to get it to FED EX. It is on the way! One more item out of here, and hopefully the War Department will chill for a couple of days. Smiles, MH

Last edited by Mad Honk; 03-27-20 at 04:34 PM.
Old 03-27-20, 05:17 PM
xiaoman1 

Bikes: A few too many

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked 2,178 Times in 1,182 Posts
Ben,
It is still here thanks to the lock down from Covid19. There is some rust under the braze on both sides of the seat stays as it looks to be a quick brazing with just the top of the braze being finished. It could also be a welded joint where the complete around the tube would not be necessary. All is solid though. Plenty of low grade rusting up there but clean-able. Smiles, MH
news, I like low grade rust.
We are on stay at home too...not sure if L.A. has no riding rule in effect so I guess if they are and I want to ride I will need to put a basket or wear a backpack in order to claim that I am going to the store.
Not making any light of the ruling...steel is real and so is the situation we all find ourselves in.
Ben
Old 03-27-20, 06:48 PM
Mad Honk 

Ben,
I'm making the best of it cleaning the shop and divesting all of the extra equipment from closing down my golf shop at the university. The Premis is gone, and the Raleigh now as well. Next is finding the top of my workbench. Smiles, MH
Likes For Mad Honk:
Old 03-28-20, 09:52 AM
natterberry 

Bikes: ‘83/‘85 Trek 760, ‘82 Trek 614, ‘77/‘78 Trek 304, ‘74 Raleigh International

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked 220 Times in 138 Posts
Natterberry,
I snuck out (under the radar) today. Picked up a shipping box left out on the back of one of our shops here in town, then packed it up. Again under the radar, I was able to get it to FED EX. It is on the way! One more item out of here, and hopefully the War Department will chill for a couple of days. Smiles, MH
That’s awesome, MH! Thanks again. Send over your paypal/etc so I can reimburse!

Also, sorry I missed your call! I’ve been working from home, lots of time spent on calls.
Old 03-28-20, 08:50 PM
twolve

Bikes: 1988 Specialized Rockhopper Comp, 2012 Goodrich Randoneuse, 2016 A-Train, 2022 Wilde Dream Engine, 2022 Salsa Mukluk

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked 88 Times in 36 Posts
Anybody have an Arai drum brake?
Old 03-29-20, 02:22 PM
Last ride 76 
1/2 as far in 2x the time

Bikes: Yes, Please.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 499 Post(s)
Liked 285 Times in 222 Posts
ISO Long reach Cyclone calipers or similar. No Shimano.

I have beaut short reach. I would prefer bolt on, rather than recessed, but can make either work.
I also have Shimano 600 tri-color brakes to trade, long or short reach. Plenty of other items, too, doesn't have to be for brakes in return, have nice pedals, or if you need something else. 600, 105, Campy, Nos Christophe toe clips... Chain rings, etc.
Old 03-29-20, 07:08 PM
rccardr 
aka: Dr. Cannondale

Mentioned: 234 Post(s)
Quoted: 2152 Post(s)
Liked 3,401 Times in 1,203 Posts
Have never encountered long reach tricolor brakes.

Pics?
Old 03-29-20, 07:22 PM
r0ckh0und 

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked 222 Times in 104 Posts
Want To Trade my 175mm Shimano RX100 triple crankset for same crankset 170mm triple. Condition is reasonably good with visible wear and some tape residue on the NDS arm

Old 03-30-20, 04:07 PM
boatsinbottles

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Looking for a chainring with 50.4 BCD (TA Cyclotouriste/Stronglight/etc outer) in the neighborhood of 40T - 42T

Have: whole lotta stuff! Mostly Japanese.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.