Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Miyata Touring ID help

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Miyata Touring ID help

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-20, 10:05 AM
jpjpjp

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Miyata Touring ID help

Found this supposed Miyata on CL but seller has no info on it other than size. He's a regular bike flipper in the area, but was not very cooperative when it came to answering my questions concerning details. I was wondering if any experts on here could supply me with more information. Thanks!

Old 03-28-20, 01:54 PM
Cougrrcj

Bikes: A few...

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 620 Post(s)
Liked 370 Times in 256 Posts
I'm inclined to say NOT a Miyata. Seat stay caps look wrong, Miyata usually used a chain-slap hoop on the d/s chainstay, and (cant see from pics) a chain hanger on the inside of the driveside seat stay. Early '80s was band-on downtube shifter, 83-later had that top 'aeromount' symmetric shifter boss... Later 80s bikes used a sloping fork crown, and would have mid-fork braze-ons at the 610 and 1000 level.

The Classic & Vintage Miyata catalogs are floating around the internet somewhere... I'm not sure where they are right now...
Old 03-28-20, 02:03 PM
John Nolan 

Bikes: Raleigh Classic 15, 84; Miyata 912, 85; Miyata Ridge Runner SE, 85; Miyata 610, 86; Miyata 100M, 86; Miyata Valley Runner, 88; Miyata Triple Cross, 89; GT Karakoram, 90; Miyata Elevation 300, 91; Marinoni Touring, 95; Long Haul Trucker, 2013

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 80 Posts
Catalogues are here.
Old 03-28-20, 02:40 PM
fliplap

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked 328 Times in 105 Posts
Originally Posted by jpjpjp
Found this supposed Miyata on CL but seller has no info on it other than size. He's a regular bike flipper in the area, but was not very cooperative when it came to answering my questions concerning details. I was wondering if any experts on here could supply me with more information. Thanks!
My vote is 1988 Miyata 615.

Likes For fliplap:
Old 03-28-20, 03:30 PM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Mentioned: 192 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2927 Post(s)
Liked 2,922 Times in 1,490 Posts
Originally Posted by Cougrrcj
I'm inclined to say NOT a Miyata. Seat stay caps look wrong, Miyata usually used a chain-slap hoop on the d/s chainstay, and (cant see from pics) a chain hanger on the inside of the driveside seat stay. Early '80s was band-on downtube shifter, 83-later had that top 'aeromount' symmetric shifter boss... Later 80s bikes used a sloping fork crown, and would have mid-fork braze-ons at the 610 and 1000 level.

The Classic & Vintage Miyata catalogs are floating around the internet somewhere... I'm not sure where they are right now...

Very fitting Avatar for many of yous guys

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Old 03-28-20, 08:41 PM
Hudson308 
Mr. Anachronism

Bikes: fillet-brazed Chicago Schwinns, and some other stuff

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 526 Post(s)
Liked 256 Times in 165 Posts
Originally Posted by fliplap
My vote is 1988 Miyata 615.
Dang. Sure looks like you nailed it.
Old 03-29-20, 08:13 AM
Cougrrcj

Bikes: A few...

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 620 Post(s)
Liked 370 Times in 256 Posts
Originally Posted by Bianchigirll
Very fitting Avatar for many of yous guys
That'll teach me not to offer semi-informed opinions from my phone! Hard to see a lot of the small details on my phone screen.

I was looking at some of the pics of my '86 Miyata 710 (spooned seat stay, sloping fork crown), and a few from the '81 1000 (banded downtube shifter, chain slap ring) and some details of my '84 Miyata-built Univega Gran Tourismo that I had on my phone... AND I don't have the link to the Miyata catalogs saved to the phone. I tried to tie those all together. My bad...

My memory isn't quite what I thought it was...