Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Fire Sale: Packable Light Weight Rain Shell

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-20, 12:24 PM
mjac

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 481 Post(s)
Liked 100 Times in 75 Posts

I have not received mine

yet, but saw this on Steep and Cheap
Old 03-25-20, 03:32 AM
BikeLite

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 381 Post(s)
Liked 145 Times in 93 Posts
Probably a wind shirt with dwr and not really a true hardshell in functionality.
Old 03-25-20, 05:57 AM
mjac

Originally Posted by BikeLite
Probably a wind shirt with dwr and not really a true hardshell in functionality.
That is exactly what I wanted and maybe what other people were looking for. A super light weight waterproof, breathable, shell for the hot summer months that you could wear and very packable so you could just carry it with you in case it might rain. Having all these features for $29, I would say yes.
Old 03-28-20, 05:16 PM
epnnf

Bikes: 2016 Masi strada vita due, 2019 Kona Dew Plus

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 268 Post(s)
Liked 80 Times in 55 Posts
Impossible to be waterproof & breathable at the same time.
Likes For epnnf:
Old 03-30-20, 01:03 PM
rtalain

Bikes: 2015 Cannondale Synapse Carbon, 2016 Cannondale Supersix EVO HM, 2020 Lynskey GR300

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by epnnf
That was my experience until I got the Castelli Idro jacket made from Gore Shake Dry fabric. Sometimes I wear it even though there's no rain in the forecast because it's warmer than my windbreaker. And COMPLETELY waterproof; a friend of mine wore it in her shower to check it.
Old 03-30-20, 01:57 PM
rosefarts
With a mighty wind

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1086 Post(s)
Liked 859 Times in 488 Posts

Well, they aren't marketing it as a dry suit for icy water diving.

If you're on your bike and get hit by a squall, it's nice to throw something over your jersey. Or you're on the top of some epic switchback of steep sweatiness, it sure would be nice to put something on for the descent.

Maybe you don't know what a windbreaker is for?
Old 03-30-20, 03:51 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18409 Post(s)
Liked 15,527 Times in 7,325 Posts
I’ve gotten caught at 7,800’+ in rain, snow and sleet while about to start long descents. Windbreaker=Hypothermia.
Old 03-30-20, 07:01 PM
rosefarts
With a mighty wind

Originally Posted by indyfabz
I’ve gotten caught at 7,800’+ in rain, snow and sleet while about to start long descents. Windbreaker=Hypothermia.
Sounds like back east bragging. Kinda cute when compared to real descents at real elevation.

Funny. I know a whole lot of folks, myself included who have no problem on much higher and colder descents in a wind vest. Or a few sheets of wrinkled up newspaper under the jersey.

Me personally, at 14,000 ft, I like my windbreaker. It's got hood and sleeves and is lower bulk than my vest. I just can't put it on while riding.

I've only been hospitalized once for hypothermia, it was the incident 20 years ago that prompted me to get a vest.

My biggest issue is cold hands on the descent. It's why I rock full finger mtb gloves year round on the road. It helps. I quit ice climbing because of reynauds though, so I'm probably not a typical case.
Old 03-30-20, 07:31 PM
mjac

As you can see from the data, 15,000 grams/meter squared moisture vapor permeability, verified by lab tests, is an extremely high vapor transfer rate. Also from the data, a Waterproof rate of between 15,000cm and 20,000cm, also verified by lab tests, is virtually waterproof.

As you can see in their product lire tauter,the Helly Hansen Vanir Slidr Jacket has a moisture vapor permeability rating of 15,000 grams/ meter squared. Not listed in their literature for some reason, the Slider Vanir Jacket also has a 20,000mm Waterproof rate. You can contact Helly Hansen by EMail and ask for their verification. So indeed you have a jacket that is amongst the highest rated vapor permeability and completely waterproof.

Here you have Helly Hansen, one of the most sophisticated textile and high tech gear manufacturers in the world who has been outfitting offshore and inshore work and expeditions in the harshest environments in the world for over 148 years. On the other hand we have epnnf, Camilo, IndyFabs and Camilo.

Last edited by mjac; 03-31-20 at 04:26 AM.
Old 03-30-20, 09:00 PM
Ironfish653
Dirty Heathen

Bikes: 1997 Cannondale, 1976 Bridgestone, 1998 SoftRide, 1989 Klein, 1989 Black Lightning #0033

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 889 Post(s)
Liked 906 Times in 534 Posts
I'm confused. Are we talking about the HH jacket or the $29 Steep+Cheap special?
Old 03-31-20, 04:14 AM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by rosefarts
Sounds like back east bragging.
Montana is out west, at least according to all the maps I’ve seen.

And would have thought that someone with such a claimed wealth of knowledge and experience would have known that Mt. Mitchell, at 6,600' and change, is the highest point east of the Mississippi River. I was clearly wrong.

In any event, buh-bye, troll.

Last edited by indyfabz; 03-31-20 at 05:06 AM.
Old 03-31-20, 04:42 AM
mjac

Originally Posted by Ironfish653
I'm confused. Are we talking about the HH jacket or the $29 Steep+Cheap special?
Indeed, but epnnf made the blanket statement, " It is impossible to be waterproof and breathable at the same time" and it was liked by Camilo, IndyFabs and rollagain. This factually and scientifically inaccurate and this is the data and labratory testing that proves it is inaccurate.

By the way, if you look at the screen shot of the HH Vanir Slidr Jacket it is on sale for $150. This is one hell of a jacket. The only two problems are they only have small and extra large sizes available and HH shipping is shut down right now. If you fit these sizes you could reserve one though.

I stand corrected. The blue (pictured) and the black only have the small and extra large available, but the high vis orange has small,medium and extra large available.

Last edited by mjac; 03-31-20 at 05:51 AM.
Old 03-31-20, 04:52 AM
mjac

Well, they aren't marketing it as a dry suit for icy water diving.

If you're on your bike and get hit by a squall, it's nice to throw something over your jersey. Or you're on the top of some epic switchback of steep sweatiness, it sure would be nice to put something on for the descent.

Maybe you don't know what a windbreaker is for?
Can you please try and explain this to me. We are talking about an extremely light, extremely packable breathable rain jacket that folds up to the size of a big wallet that you can throw on during a hot summer day if you get caught in a summer shower while on the street or on your bike for $29 and this fella starts talking about being at 7800' in rain, sleet and snow on a descent and getting hyperthermia because you have a windbreaker on. What? Am I missing something?

Last edited by mjac; 03-31-20 at 05:02 AM.
Old 03-31-20, 07:55 AM
rosefarts
With a mighty wind

Originally Posted by mjac
Can you please try and explain this to me. We are talking about an extremely light, extremely packable breathable rain jacket that folds up to the size of a big wallet that you can throw on during a hot summer day if you get caught in a summer shower while on the street or on your bike for $29 and this fella starts talking about being at 7800' in rain, sleet and snow on a descent and getting hyperthermia because you have a windbreaker on. What? Am I missing something?
You and I are in agreement. We've got a few people here who have decided that a windbreaker has to handle freezing rain or something stupid.

7800ft just isn't very high. That's why I called it back east bragging. Sounds high if you're from Boston. The one who made that claim said he's in Montana, so that elevation is nothing more than cute. I felt it necessary to explain that lots of people do freezing descents using less than a full windbreaker.

For the actual item, it seems a little heavy for my use. I'd sure love an ultralight rain jacket but it wouldn't get used more than a few times a year.
Old 03-31-20, 08:21 AM
mjac

You and I are in agreement. We've got a few people here who have decided that a windbreaker has to handle freezing rain or something stupid.

7800ft just isn't very high. That's why I called it back east bragging. Sounds high if you're from Boston. The one who made that claim said he's in Montana, so that elevation is nothing more than cute. I felt it necessary to explain that lots of people do freezing descents using less than a full windbreaker.

For the actual item, it seems a little heavy for my use. I'd sure love an ultralight rain jacket but it wouldn't get used more than a few times a year.
It is just an irrelevant argument and see no sense in even bringing it up. So why bring it up?

The he ride he was talking about was in Montana I think, he is in Boston.

When you say "the actual item" I do not know what you are referring to. If you mean the original Basin and Range Blue Moon Jacket, I got mine yesterday, it is as light weight as it gets. They list 5oz and seeing it and handling it, it is ultra light. But it is not as good a bargain as I though. With taxes and shipping it came to $37.91. It's not bad though and looks pretty nice. But Helly Hansen has certain colors of its Loke Jacket on sale for $40 and free shipping and it is a far, far superior jacket, but it weighs 257 grams which is a little over 9 ounces. Helly Hansens shipping is shut down right now though.

If if you meant the Helly Hansen Vanir Slidr Jacket, that is a whole different animal. That is for brutal weather but it breaths so well you can get but wearing it in summer just walking around.
Old 03-31-20, 09:49 AM
rosefarts
With a mighty wind

Pretty sure it's all done in good natured boredom.

I didn't notice the Basin and Range jacket initially. That's a screaming good deal. I've been wanting a rain jacket for the twice a year I see rain. I ordered one.

Pretty sure it won't replace my Patagonia windbreaker for riding and alpine trips but I'll definitely use it.

​​​
Old 03-31-20, 10:49 AM
mjac

I didn't notice the Basin and Range jacket initially. That's a screaming good deal. I've been wanting a rain jacket for the twice a year I see rain. I ordered one.

Pretty sure it won't replace my Patagonia windbreaker for riding and alpine trips but I'll definitely use it.

​​​
You sure about this? It is super,ultra light but that is going to be $38 or so with shipping and taxes. With just a little more weight you can get a far superior Helly Hansen Loke a Jacket for $40 ( certain colors) with free shipping. When they reopen shipping.

You our think the Blue Moon is a good deal? I am beginning to question it.
Old 04-01-20, 06:15 AM
indyfabz

Every year I like to get out west for a couple of weeks of self contained riding. The photo with the dog ran with an article in the Great Falls Tribune about the financial benefits of cycle touring in the state of Montana which I was featured in.

But one time I took the train to Seattle and rode to Maine, then partially down the east coast. Encountered some snow then, too. Same during the following year, when I rode from Seattle to Cortez, CO via Glacier N.P. (again), a route which included Chief Joseph, Lost Trail, Craig, Togwotee, Hooiser, Monarch, Dallas Divide and Lizard Head. That's why I consider quality rain gear to be an essential.

Last edited by indyfabz; 04-01-20 at 06:18 AM.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 04-01-20, 08:10 AM
mjac

​​​
I do not know if you are still there, but I got to use the Blue Moon Jacket for the first time this morning. It was about 55 out and an 8-10 mph wind out on the lake. Had on a Tesla compression shirt and I thought the ultra light shell would not be enough. But that little inexpensive ultra light rain she'll cuts the wind pretty well. Had to unzip it down wind. I was surprised. If the DWR holds up it might be a pretty useful utility jacket. The only bad thing is the darn thing does not have any side pockets, just one small chest pocket. Now you won't be doing any winter mountain descents in freezing rain, sleet and snow but for a spring, summer, autumn ultra light rain shell it might be useful for the money.
Old 04-01-20, 08:18 AM
mjac

Originally Posted by indyfabz
Every year I like to get out west for a couple of weeks of self contained riding. The photo with the dog ran with an article in the Great Falls Tribune about the financial benefits of cycle touring in the state of Montana which I was featured in.

But one time I took the train to Seattle and rode to Maine, then partially down the east coast. Encountered some snow then, too. Same during the following year, when I rode from Seattle to Cortez, CO via Glacier N.P. (again), a route which included Chief Joseph, Lost Trail, Craig, Togwotee, Hooiser, Monarch, Dallas Divide and Lizard Head. That's why I consider quality rain gear to be an essential.

But of course it is impossible to be waterproof and breathable at the same time.