Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Let's see your vintage Schwinn Cimarron

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Let's see your vintage Schwinn Cimarron

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-20, 11:05 AM
mparker326

Bikes: Schwinn Paramount P15, Fisher Montare, Proteus, Rivendell Quickbeam

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by countalmaviva

mparker326 -- was this possibly your bike? My seller is in Athens, TN. Your photo is no longer viewable... There's a sticker from the original shop: Travis Cycles in Massachusetts....
nope. Mine was a 23 inch frame. I did see the one you bought on the local CL. It looked to be barely ridden. Hope you enjoy.
Old 02-03-20, 04:34 PM
dualresponse

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 45 Posts
Now that it's back together, I've been getting some SERIOUS miles on the Cimarron. Still need the stickers, but this bike it kickin' it. Perfect cold weather bike- Don't know what to wear? Take it all! This bike has has led to some serious grinning!

Likes For dualresponse:
Old 02-03-20, 08:52 PM
Clang

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1119 Post(s)
Liked 2,255 Times in 1,311 Posts
There's a nice one available in Las Vegas

Schwinn Antique (4B) - $75 (Eastside LV, NV)

https://lasvegas.craigslist.org/bik/...067261658.html

Likes For Clang:
Old 02-05-20, 06:29 PM
badger_biker 

Bikes: 10 vintage touring machines

Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked 126 Times in 66 Posts
What tires and size are you running @dualresponse? No way can I get fenders over my Fat Franks but I love the ride. Here is a picture finally.
Old 02-06-20, 06:08 AM
dualresponse

Originally Posted by badger_biker
What tires and size are you running @dualresponse? No way can I get fenders over my Fat Franks but I love the ride. Here is a picture finally.
Velo orange fenders over rat trap pass tires. The rat trap pass are advertised at 2.3 inches. They are more like 2.0's on my bike. The links are in the "show us your vintage mtb thread. Tight fit, but loose enough it doesn't catch too many rocks between them. Those fat franks look tight!

EDIT- also, I've got tektro canti's, which might have a little more straddle cable clearance for the fenders than the original brakes. If brake clearance is an issue, and you can't get brake/cable clearance with what you've got by adjusting things, that might be an answer if you don't want to notch the fenders..

p.s.- Lovin' that seatpost! Awesome!

Last edited by dualresponse; 02-06-20 at 07:51 AM.
Old 02-18-20, 11:03 PM
countalmaviva 

Bikes: 1985 Fuji League with S&S couplers, Bridgestone Regulus, and many others now between other legs.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 23 Posts
Originally Posted by dualresponse
Now that it's back together, I've been getting some SERIOUS miles on the Cimarron. Still need the stickers, but this bike it kickin' it. Perfect cold weather bike- Don't know what to wear? Take it all! This bike has has led to some serious grinning!

VERY cool rig, DualResponse! Are those bars the Nitto Bosco bars? How do you like them? Also, where did you get those grips? Are they bar-end shifter compatible?

Cheers,
Oliver H.
Old 02-19-20, 09:13 AM
dualresponse

VERY cool rig, DualResponse! Are those bars the Nitto Bosco bars? How do you like them? Also, where did you get those grips? Are they bar-end shifter compatible?

Cheers,
Oliver H.
Thanks.Yes.Alot.China/ebay.Probably!
Old 02-21-20, 10:47 AM
Descartes Ghost

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm looking for a Cimarron to turn into a do-it-all touring/commuting rig and am scouring eBay and Craigslist, but I'm hesitant to buy any bike sight unseen. I was wondering if you guys could help me out with proper sizing and let me know what frame sizes and tire sizes you have and what the corresponding standover heights are on your bikes. I'm 5'10'' and am thinking 20 or 21 inch would fit me, but I typically like bikes on the smaller side.
Old 02-21-20, 10:12 PM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Location: Arcata, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way

Bikes: 1984 Araya MB 261, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 1993 Hard Rock Ultra, 1994 Trek Multitrack 750, 1995 Trek Singletrack 930

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1533 Post(s)
Liked 1,528 Times in 916 Posts
Originally Posted by Descartes Ghost
I'm looking for a Cimarron to turn into a do-it-all touring/commuting rig and am scouring eBay and Craigslist, but I'm hesitant to buy any bike sight unseen. I was wondering if you guys could help me out with proper sizing and let me know what frame sizes and tire sizes you have and what the corresponding standover heights are on your bikes. I'm 5'10'' and am thinking 20 or 21 inch would fit me, but I typically like bikes on the smaller side.
My husband is 5'11" and rides a 19" mountain bike; you might want to re-think your sizes. Try 18" to 19.5". HTH.
Old 02-23-20, 05:37 PM
casanewt

Bikes: Wow, where to start? A collection of 1980's and early 90's road, touring, and MTBs from the likes of Trek, Schwinn, Cannondale, Fuji, Miyata, Univega, Panasonic, and GT. It has gotten rather out of control.

Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked 173 Times in 78 Posts
Just playing around with a 700c front wheel this afternoon.

Old 02-23-20, 05:47 PM
thumpism 
Bikes are okay, I guess.

Bikes: Waterford Paramount Touring, Giant CFM-2, Raleigh Sports 3-speeds in M23 & L23, Schwinn Cimarron oddball build, Marin Palisades Trail dropbar conversion, Nishiki Cresta GT

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 2647 Post(s)
Liked 2,446 Times in 1,557 Posts
Originally Posted by Descartes Ghost
I generally ride 64cm/25" road frames and my 23" Cimarron fits me the same way, about 34" standover height with a 1.95 tire on it. I can measure more precisely if you like. The frame has almost no BB drop so it's a big bike.

Last edited by thumpism; 02-23-20 at 05:52 PM.
Old 02-23-20, 07:42 PM
Chr0m0ly 

Bikes: '84 Miyata 610 ‘91 Cannondale ST600,'83 Trek 720 ‘84 Trek 520, 620, ‘91 Miyata 1000LT, '79 Trek 514, '78 Trek 706, '73 Raleigh Int. frame.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 685 Post(s)
Liked 370 Times in 219 Posts
Originally Posted by thumpism
I generally ride 64cm/25" road frames and my 23" Cimarron fits me the same way, about 34" standover height with a 1.95 tire on it. I can measure more precisely if you like. The frame has almost no BB drop so it's a big bike.
How long is the top tube on that machine?
Old 02-24-20, 11:13 AM
thumpism 
Bikes are okay, I guess.

Bikes: Waterford Paramount Touring, Giant CFM-2, Raleigh Sports 3-speeds in M23 & L23, Schwinn Cimarron oddball build, Marin Palisades Trail dropbar conversion, Nishiki Cresta GT

Originally Posted by Chr0m0ly
How long is the top tube on that machine?
23.5" or just under 60cm C-to-C.
Old 02-29-20, 05:06 PM
casanewt

Bikes: Wow, where to start? A collection of 1980's and early 90's road, touring, and MTBs from the likes of Trek, Schwinn, Cannondale, Fuji, Miyata, Univega, Panasonic, and GT. It has gotten rather out of control.

Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked 173 Times in 78 Posts
Mounted a set of Conti Ride Tours today. Nice tire for under $20 each.

Old 02-29-20, 09:02 PM
Descartes Ghost

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bconneraz
I've been on the hunt for an 89 for a while now, and I've finally landed one that's still original down to the tires. The two that I had stumbled on previously were missing the stem with the bottle mounts; or various other parts. I'll post more when it's cleaned up, but for now, here is the last piece of the puzzle to complete the entire production run, 1985-1989.

Wondering what the standover height is on that 89... Looks to be a 19 inch frame?...

​​​
Old 04-01-20, 06:51 PM
reluctantsuburb

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 16 Posts
Hey all, love the bikes here. I've been in the market for an ~80s MTB that I can turn into commuter and grocery getter. However, my local market (Dallas) has almost no rigid MTBs come across Craigslist (there's one guy who seems to have a corner on the market and flips them all at outrageous prices...I digress).

I came across this 21" frame, which I believe is my size (89cm PBH): https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...9508248508240/

It's listed for $120, but at this point, after a year of searching, I'm wondering if I should just go for it. Thoughts?
Old 04-01-20, 06:59 PM
romperrr 
Pedal to the medal

Bikes: 1991 Team Miyata Track, 1992 Lemond Alpe d'Huez, 19?? Schwinn High Serra, 1982 Trek 614, 198X Raleigh Alyeska

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 288 Post(s)
Liked 205 Times in 131 Posts
If you're just looking for an 80's mtb, there's likely cheaper options but unlikely to be better options. I commute on that same exact frame, u-brakes and all, and it's a great commuter. Maybe you can get it cheaper? If you have available parts on hand, you could be rolling <$200 which seems like a good deal to me.
Old 04-01-20, 07:38 PM
reluctantsuburb

Originally Posted by romperrr
If you're just looking for an 80's mtb, there's likely cheaper options but unlikely to be better options. I commute on that same exact frame, u-brakes and all, and it's a great commuter. Maybe you can get it cheaper? If you have available parts on hand, you could be rolling <$200 which seems like a good deal to me.
Yeah, I don't mean this to sound rude, but I really don't see other options in my area, at least not for a 21"-22" cro-mo frame. And agreed on finding better.

I have a handful of parts, but likely not the full build. Would probably need to build it up over time
Old 04-01-20, 07:57 PM
Classtime 

Bikes: 82 Medici, 2011 Richard Sachs, 2011 Milwaukee Road

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 1949 Post(s)
Liked 2,010 Times in 1,109 Posts
Cimarrons are great and I really like my 85. I recommend you have patience. That fork looks like a replacement and you need too many parts to ride it. (The u brake is not universally approved of.). I'll look again on Dallas CL.
Old 04-01-20, 08:26 PM
reluctantsuburb

Originally Posted by Classtime
Cimarrons are great and I really like my 85. I recommend you have patience. That fork looks like a replacement and you need too many parts to ride it. (The u brake is not universally approved of.). I'll look again on Dallas CL.
Thanks for the encouragement for patience...It is wearing thin, but I know it's good advice.

So far, I've seen a Kobe Cobra that looks like it could be a contender at $100, though I can't find much about the brand:

As well as this Panasonic MC3500 for $150

At this point, those are two of the only ones I've seen that are steel with slack geometry/long wheelbase
Likes For reluctantsuburb:
Old 04-01-20, 09:27 PM
countalmaviva 

Bikes: 1985 Fuji League with S&S couplers, Bridgestone Regulus, and many others now between other legs.

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 23 Posts
Cimarron build complete!

Friends!

I have just finished putting on the final parts for my 1986 Cimarron, and I'll share a few observations:
  • My BB is stamped with two numbers: SL505260 and 446. Anyone know what the second one means?
  • The head badge is stamped 1006, so it has a 34th birthday coming up!
  • The mid-fork low-rider mounts require M6 bolts. Everything else on the frame is M5.
  • I used Fluid Film for inside the frame. Note that this does not flow particularly well. I used a wad of paper on the end of a coat hanger to spread as best I could.
  • I think the bike is perfect as a daily urban commuter and grocery getter. I also expect it'll do loaded touring well. I may trim the ends of the Albatross bars, which are long enough to hit my legs with the bar ends during a sharp turn.
  • I used Deore XT M730 hubs. The rear was originally Uniglide, but I transplanted a Hyperglide freehub. Not too difficult, thanks to RJ the Bike Guy's excellent video: youtu.be/oaBQHCU9TDw
  • I'm using 7 sprockets of an 8s cassette, omitting the smallest. Indexing is perfect.

WHEELS

• Axle Nuts security skewers on wheels (Pinhead)
  • Hub silver Deore XT HB-M730 front hub (Shimano)
  • Hub silver, converted to HG Deore XT FH-M730 rear hub (Shimano)
  • Spokes black Alpine III (DT Swiss)
  • Rim black Rhyno Lite XL (Sun)

ADDITIONAL PARTS

• Rack front, black Tara (Tubus)
  • Rack rear, black Logo Evo (Tubus)
  • Kickstand silver anodized, rear-mounted (Minoura)
  • Saddle black plastic (Norco Bikes)
  • Seatpost Suntour Superbe Pro (Suntour)
  • Fender silver Chromoplastic Longboard Fender Set (SKS)
  • Stem aluminum extension, steel quill Suntour branded (Nitto)
  • Handlebar heat treated aluminum Albatross (Nitto)

DRIVETRAIN AND BRAKES

• Pedals stainless spindles Frog (Speedplay)
  • Crankset 165mm XD (Sugino)
  • Brake Deore XT BR-MC70 wide profile cantilever brakes (Shimano)
  • Brake Deore XT BL-M700 brake levers (Shimano)
  • Derailleur Deore XT RD-M739 rear deraileur (Shimano)
  • Derailleur Deore XT FD-M700 front deraileur (Shimano)
Thanks to all who answered my questions related to this build. Your generosity with information is much appreciated! (Will one of you let me know if you see this so I know I used the BB code correctly?)

@Bill Kapuan;
@AnkleWork
@Miele Man
@tomtomtom123
@ThermionicScott
@Jeff Wills
@blamester
@Retro Grouch
@davidad
@NHmtb

If anyone wants additional photos, just ask. I'm happy to post.

One more thing:
This is the original Nitto high rise handlebar. Look how thick that tubing is!!!

I'm guessing that some contributors to this thread may have seen this 1986 red Cimarron on eBay. Well, I caved and bought it! It arrived today, and the condition is just as in the photos -- excellent -- so I'll just post the main auction photo here:

The Araya RM-25 rims are this cool deep bronze color I've never seen and have almost NO wear on them. Minor scuffs on the paint. The seller said he thinks it's the original grease on the chain. I paid $550 before shipping and tax, which is higher than I wanted for this project but a fair price, I thought, considering the condition. That, and I'd been searching for mountain bike frames for nearly three months, and I think there's something called buyer's fatigue..I was ready.

I plan to make it a commuter and touring bike. I have done a fair bit of touring, but I have never owned a frame that would accommodate large tires with fenders and not have toe overlap. I'm excited! I'll likely throw a new wheelset on there with an 8s cassette, so I'll spread the rear triangle to 132.5 mm-ish. Front and rear Tubus racks. I'm thinking bar-end shifters on a Nitto Bosco bar. This bar appeals to me, because I'm going to use a Yepp Mini child carrier up front, and the bar ends will wrap nicely around the kid seat. I got the frame on the large side (this is a 21") for me because I like my bars high, and the long TT (23") will give extra room for the child carrier.

I'll post pictures of the build when I get it finished, and I'm happy to post additional photos of this bike as is, if anyone feels like it would be helpful for the thread. Thanks to all who have posted on this thread. Lots of inspiring builds, and you convinced me go for this bike. She's a beaut!

mparker326 -- was this possibly your bike? My seller is in Athens, TN. Your photo is no longer viewable... There's a sticker from the original shop: Travis Cycles in Massachusetts....
Likes For countalmaviva:
Old 04-01-20, 10:15 PM
thumpism 
Bikes are okay, I guess.

Anybody looking for one of these? Not mine.

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...4044751267200/

Old 04-02-20, 06:36 AM
romperrr 
Pedal to the medal

Bikes: 1991 Team Miyata Track, 1992 Lemond Alpe d'Huez, 19?? Schwinn High Serra, 1982 Trek 614, 198X Raleigh Alyeska

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 288 Post(s)
Liked 205 Times in 131 Posts
Originally Posted by Classtime
That fork looks like a replacement
A full chrome fork usually gives me pause to consider if a fork is a replacement. That model year did come with a full chrome fork though that at least looks similar to the one pictured, so it could be original.
Old 04-02-20, 06:55 AM
PugRider

Bikes: Fuji Sportif 1.7C, Shogun Metro AT, Jamis Durango SX, Miyata Alumicross, Fuji Special Road Racer, Mongoose ATB, Fuji SST 1.0 Team, Gitane (?), Specialized Rockhopper SS, Univega Gran Turismo, Univega Supra Sport Mixte, Nishiki Tri-A, Diamondback Coil

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 78 Posts
Wow, grab that Panasonic. They made Schwinns for years, so close enough!
Likes For PugRider:
Old 04-02-20, 07:16 AM
reluctantsuburb

Originally Posted by romperrr
A full chrome fork usually gives me pause to consider if a fork is a replacement. That model year did come with a full chrome fork though that at least looks similar to the one pictured, so it could be original.
Yes - I was thinking the same thing but wasn't positive. It's a bit of a bummer, as I think I'd prefer a fork with eyelets!
Originally Posted by PugRider
Wow, grab that Panasonic. They made Schwinns for years, so close enough!
Thanks for the vote of confidence, just reached out to the seller. Hoping the corona stuff doesn't complicate the sale, we are technically on shelter in place here.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.