Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Passing C&V On To Others

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Passing C&V On To Others

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-20, 09:24 PM
Nemosengineer 

Bikes: Teledyne Titan, Bob Jackson Audax Club, Bob Jackson World Tour, AlAn Record Ergal, 3Rensho Katana.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked 623 Times in 245 Posts
Passing C&V On To Others

A while back workmate friend of mine "Bill" who was vintage curious was questioning me on the virtuous of steel, having grown up on the first wave of tigged aluminum frames. One thing led to another and I gave him a Raleigh Alyeska frameset and supported his project with a few bits here and there, he produced a really nice retsomod commuter with the help of Craigslist. Interestingly enough his wife took an interest in these activities and wants vintage steel for herself. Now my friend has started work on a classic steel road bike for his wife, I donated a Tange 2 Japanese road frame and coldest it to 130mm to get the project going.
Now there are two wonderful people involved in this magnificent obsession of ours and their projects are self sustaining as are their new interests. So I guess I'm saying invest a little time and a few parts in people to sustain the interest and grow the audience for C&V. (My little secret is this also frees up more room for my frames and projects.)

: Mike
Old 04-01-20, 11:01 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4510 Post(s)
Liked 6,374 Times in 3,666 Posts
I lucked out with my only kid, managed to get him into classic rock and bikes, the Raleigh SC he loved was stolen and we replaced it with a substandard place holder that does just fine but if he can hold onto it for awhile longer I'm going to build him a proper one.

Maybe a Raleigh Pro.

I don't think he even considers modern ones "bikes".

A guy at work had a Bianchi Veloce, aluminum rattler that was a nice bike but too small for him, I got him onto a new steel Breezer, disc, gravel deal that he loves.
Likes For merziac:
Old 04-01-20, 11:43 PM
droppedandlost 
small ring

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 437 Post(s)
Liked 925 Times in 370 Posts
Well, you guys did it to me. I wanted to cheaply ride gravel, got an old steel frame, put on 38mm tires and I was hooked. My "nice" carbon bike is now just a frame hanging in the garage (and it's taking up space that could be occupied by another steel frame).
Likes For droppedandlost:
Old 04-02-20, 12:14 AM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Originally Posted by droppedandlost
Well, you guys did it to me. I wanted to cheaply ride gravel, got an old steel frame, put on 38mm tires and I was hooked. My "nice" carbon bike is now just a frame hanging in the garage (and it's taking up space that could be occupied by another steel frame).
Well then, what's the holdup?
Old 04-02-20, 01:11 AM
RiddleOfSteel
Master Parts Rearranger

Bikes: 1982 Trek 720 - 1985 Trek 620 - 1984 Trek 620 - 1980 Trek 510 - Other luminaries past and present

Mentioned: 221 Post(s)
Quoted: 1556 Post(s)
Liked 2,024 Times in 989 Posts
My friend and coworker has gone through a number of bikes and bike-related endeavors. Came from vintage fixie land (old Nishiki that he had powder coated a super gregarious hue of sparkling orange, with appropriate polished pieces) and worked up through some race bikes while doing some local racing for a few years. Did track for a year as well and still has one he built for it, buuuut he picked up a Breezer and really likes it. He's an outdoors-biased kind of guy plus no car, so he digs the versatility and capability that a big tire disc steel frame affords.

I feel like a recent BF member (ctak) had the C&V seed lying around for a while (had some nice vintage rides), but the day he and I met, it was for a CL meetup so that I could buy some wheels he'd had for a long time. We talked for an hour and a half. Lol. He's gone full tilt into it, which is fantastic. We have a blend of bike knowledges and bike types that we like--a good bit overlap, and some don't. I think we learn a lot from each other. Lot of fun.
Likes For RiddleOfSteel:
Old 04-02-20, 01:34 AM
Andy_K 

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 525 Post(s)
Quoted: 3230 Post(s)
Liked 3,865 Times in 1,439 Posts
Originally Posted by droppedandlost
That’s kind of what happened to me to. I bought a steel bike to ride to work when I wanted something sporty, so I could keep my nice carbon bike clean. I sold the carbon bike about two years ago.
Old 04-02-20, 01:42 AM
Dfrost 

Bikes: ‘87 Marinoni SLX Sports Tourer, ‘79 Miyata 912 by Gugificazione

Mentioned: 166 Post(s)
Quoted: 500 Post(s)
Liked 466 Times in 256 Posts
Originally Posted by Andy_K
That’s kind of what happened to me to. I bought a steel bike to ride to work when I wanted something sporty, so I could keep my nice carbon bike clean. I sold the carbon bike about two years ago.
Having spent time in your garage, Andy, and appreciating the bounty that it now holds, that really made me chuckle!
Likes For Dfrost:
Old 04-02-20, 02:10 AM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3869 Post(s)
Liked 6,461 Times in 3,194 Posts
Passing c&v on to others

Too bad you can't just ride the bus and spread it that way.
Likes For SurferRosa:
Old 04-02-20, 02:18 AM
merziac

Originally Posted by RiddleOfSteel
My friend and coworker has gone through a number of bikes and bike-related endeavors. Came from vintage fixie land (old Nishiki that he had powder coated a super gregarious hue of sparkling orange, with appropriate polished pieces) and worked up through some race bikes while doing some local racing for a few years. Did track for a year as well and still has one he built for it, buuuut he picked up a Breezer and really likes it. He's an outdoors-biased kind of guy plus no car, so he digs the versatility and capability that a big tire disc steel frame affords.

I feel like a recent BF member (ctak) had the C&V seed lying around for a while (had some nice vintage rides), but the day he and I met, it was for a CL meetup so that I could buy some wheels he'd had for a long time. We talked for an hour and a half. Lol. He's gone full tilt into it, which is fantastic. We have a blend of bike knowledges and bike types that we like--a good bit overlap, and some don't. I think we learn a lot from each other. Lot of fun.
Those Breezer's seem to have it going on, didn't hurt that Performance was really dealing on them before they sank. I even gave it a hard think for a minute.
Old 04-02-20, 02:42 AM
RiddleOfSteel
Master Parts Rearranger

Bikes: 1982 Trek 720 - 1985 Trek 620 - 1984 Trek 620 - 1980 Trek 510 - Other luminaries past and present

Mentioned: 221 Post(s)
Quoted: 1556 Post(s)
Liked 2,024 Times in 989 Posts
Originally Posted by merziac
Those Breezer's seem to have it going on, didn't hurt that Performance was really dealing on them before they sank. I even gave it a hard think for a minute.
For sure. Looking at their website, my coworker got an Inversion Pro in the gloss tan with black and yellow. Great looking bike. Sloped top tube works with the overall proportions. You get a lot of bike and a lot of capability (and tire clearance) for the money. I still want to take an old tourer that could run 42mm tires or so, modify it for modern cantis and any other needed braze-ons, repaint/coat and go from there. I mean, I'd take on another old, tired (paint) Paramount frameset and go that route. 650b perhaps to get the tire clearance plus fenders. Who knows. Welp, guess that's what I'm going to bed thinking about...
Old 04-02-20, 11:35 PM
Lascauxcaveman 

Bikes: A green one, "Ragleigh," or something.

Mentioned: 194 Post(s)
Quoted: 1627 Post(s)
Liked 630 Times in 356 Posts
Originally Posted by Andy_K
I had no idea! Having visited your garage myself, I'd say you've made a clean break.
● 1971 Grandis SL ● 1972 Lambert Grand Prix frankenbike ● 1972 Raleigh Super Course fixie ● 1973 Nishiki Semi-Pro ● 1979 Motobecane Grand Jubile ●1980 Apollo "Legnano" ● 1984 Peugeot Vagabond ● 1985 Shogun Prairie Breaker ● 1986 Merckx Super Corsa ● 1987 Schwinn Tempo ● 1988 Schwinn Voyageur ● 1989 Bottechia Team ADR replica ● 1990 Cannondale ST600 ● 1993 Technium RT600 ● 1996 Kona Lava Dome ●

Old 04-03-20, 01:48 AM
merziac

Originally Posted by RiddleOfSteel
For sure. Looking at their website, my coworker got an Inversion Pro in the gloss tan with black and yellow. Great looking bike. Sloped top tube works with the overall proportions. You get a lot of bike and a lot of capability (and tire clearance) for the money. I still want to take an old tourer that could run 42mm tires or so, modify it for modern cantis and any other needed braze-ons, repaint/coat and go from there. I mean, I'd take on another old, tired (paint) Paramount frameset and go that route. 650b perhaps to get the tire clearance plus fenders. Who knows. Welp, guess that's what I'm going to bed thinking about...
Yep they are a pretty good deal no matter how you look at it. After reviewing, my guy got the Radar Expert in OD Green with orange, Smokin deal at 6 or 700 with triple 10% back. I think it paid for his road wheels that he had them setup. 52mm tire clearance is a lot.
Old 04-03-20, 02:19 AM
Andy_K 

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 525 Post(s)
Quoted: 3230 Post(s)
Liked 3,865 Times in 1,439 Posts
Originally Posted by Lascauxcaveman
I had no idea! Having visited your garage myself, I'd say you've made a clean break.
There are still two new-ish aluminum cyclocross bikes hiding in there.
Old 04-03-20, 06:16 AM
beicster 

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 360 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 186 Posts
Yep they are a pretty good deal no matter how you look at it. After reviewing, my guy got the Radar Expert in OD Green with orange, Smokin deal at 6 or 700 with triple 10% back. I think it paid for his road wheels that he had them setup. 52mm tire clearance is a lot.
I would like to hear more about his experience with the Radar Expert. There aren't a lot of reviews out there and I have been interested in one of those for a long time.
Old 04-03-20, 08:15 PM
ramzilla

Bikes: Vintage Japanese Bicycles, Tange, Ishiwata, Kuwahara

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 700 Post(s)
Liked 322 Times in 252 Posts
Old 04-04-20, 12:48 AM
merziac

Originally Posted by beicster
I would like to hear more about his experience with the Radar Expert. There aren't a lot of reviews out there and I have been interested in one of those for a long time.
Make it so.

My buddy was taken with it from the test ride and more so with every ride. We rode Crater Lake and it was stellar, he loves it and it did exactly what I intended, he got the steel is real and isn't looking back.

Here's the review from Bicycling and even if its biased by advertising it lays it out just as we see it, great bike, good value and pretty dang cool.

https://www.bicycling.com/bikes-gear...expert-review/
Old 04-04-20, 03:01 AM
randyjawa 

Bikes: 1958 Rabeneick 120D, 1968 Legnano Gran Premio, 196? Torpado Professional, 2000 Marinoni Piuma

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Quoted: 1372 Post(s)
Liked 1,749 Times in 937 Posts
So I guess I'm saying invest a little time and a few parts in people to sustain the interest and grow the audience for C&V.
I totally agree. Help others when you see that they could use your help, and if they want it. I helped the interests of others, in the vintage bicycle world, with my website, which some of you may now know that it belongs to someone else. But it is still there, free to use and use it if you will. Learn, enjoy and have fun doing so...
Old 04-04-20, 06:16 AM
beicster 

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 360 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 186 Posts
Make it so.

My buddy was taken with it from the test ride and more so with every ride. We rode Crater Lake and it was stellar, he loves it and it did exactly what I intended, he got the steel is real and isn't looking back.

Here's the review from Bicycling and even if its biased by advertising it lays it out just as we see it, great bike, good value and pretty dang cool.

https://www.bicycling.com/bikes-gear...expert-review/
Thank you. I we come out of this quarantine in good shape, I'll have to start looking more seriously.