Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Keep getting flat tire

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Keep getting flat tire

Old 04-03-20, 03:15 PM
boggy

Bikes: 2018 Electra Townie Commute GO! 8i, 2019 Electra Townie GO! 7d, 2023 Cannondale Adventure Neo Allroad Speed

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
Keep getting flat tire

Well, its one of those things that you learn to deal with, but for some reason my tube gets hole on the underside, where it faces the rim, and it happened for the third time in a month... Each time I checked the rim and the tape that covers the spokes - it looks totally fine. Also, I find holes on the underside, but different location each time (relative to the nipple). What could this be? I am using the correctly sized tubes, the tube is 700 35/43, and my tires are 700x38. Maybe I should use different brand tubes?
Old 04-03-20, 03:21 PM
Unca_Sam
The dropped

Bikes: Pake C'Mute Touring/Commuter Build, 1989 Kona Cinder Cone, 1995 Trek 5200, 1973 Raleigh Super Course FG, 1960/61 Montgomery Ward Hawthorne "thrift" 3 speed, by Hercules (sold) : 1966 Schwinn Deluxe Racer (sold)

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1739 Post(s)
Liked 1,014 Times in 696 Posts
If you have holes on the rim side, it's likely your rim tape is failing, regardless of how it looks when you remove the tire. Is your rim a double wall rim?
Are you using a cloth tape, rubber strip, or something else for your rim strip?
Old 04-03-20, 03:28 PM
boggy

Bikes: 2018 Electra Townie Commute GO! 8i, 2019 Electra Townie GO! 7d, 2023 Cannondale Adventure Neo Allroad Speed

Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Unca_Sam
If you have holes on the rim side, it's likely your rim tape is failing, regardless of how it looks when you remove the tire. Is your rim a double wall rim?
Are you using a cloth tape, rubber strip, or something else for your rim strip?
I am pretty sure its double wall rim, the tape is factory one, looks like some rubberized cloth.
Old 04-03-20, 03:30 PM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 642 Times in 363 Posts
I agree it's probably a rim strip issue.

Are you by chance using those stretchy plastic strips? If so, examine the location of that strip very carefully. If the slightest little arc of a spoke hole in the rim is exposed, your tire air pressure will push your inner tube into that arc and cause it to get cut on the spoke hole edge.
Old 04-03-20, 03:44 PM
bikeaddiction1

Bikes: Many

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 80 Times in 50 Posts
Are the holes in the center where the spoke nipples are, or our at the rim edge? If they are at the edge of the rim it could be a pinch flat, but typically it will happen at both edges and look like a snake bite (two holes). If this is the case you may be running your tire pressure too low.
If they are at the centre then disregard what I have said.
Old 04-03-20, 06:37 PM
50PlusCycling

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 526 Post(s)
Liked 720 Times in 378 Posts
Replace the rim strip or tape. I you have nothing else handy, black electrical tape works in a pinch, but apply it over the top of your existing rim strip or tape.
Old 04-03-20, 09:13 PM
ramzilla

Bikes: Vintage Japanese Bicycles, Tange, Ishiwata, Kuwahara

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 700 Post(s)
Liked 321 Times in 251 Posts
https://www.schwalbetires.com/access...m_tape_singles
Old 04-04-20, 06:21 AM
bobwysiwyg

Bikes: Mongoose Selous, Trek DS

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 941 Post(s)
Liked 319 Times in 189 Posts
Originally Posted by boggy
Well, its one of those things that you learn to deal with, but for some reason my tube gets hole on the underside, where it faces the rim, and it happened for the third time in a month... Each time I checked the rim and the tape that covers the spokes - it looks totally fine. Also, I find holes on the underside, but different location each time (relative to the nipple). What could this be? I am using the correctly sized tubes, the tube is 700 35/43, and my tires are 700x38. Maybe I should use different brand tubes?
Was the hole visible?
Could it be just a bad tube? My niece called yesterday, wanted to go for bike ride on her new (bought last fall) bike. She had noticed a tire flat several weeks ago, took it in to the place where she bought it. They said it was fine aired it up and she took it home. A few weeks later now, tire flat again.
She brought the bike over, took off the wheel, put about 70# in it, submerged it and found tiny bubbles emerging from beneath the rim at one place. Marked that, took the tire off and inspected the tube there. Nothing at all visible. Tried submerging the tube but couldn't inflate it enough to cause the suspect area to stretch, what I think is defective material, to recreate the leak.
Out tire sizes are the same, but mine use Presta valves her's are Schrader. They had given her a small tire repair kit at purchase, that contained a spare tube. Installed that and she was on her way. I'm a little skeptical since I couldn't replicate the problem. So, since her backup tube is the same brand (Kenda) can't be sure her problem is solved.

Last edited by bobwysiwyg; 04-04-20 at 07:04 AM.
Old 04-04-20, 08:53 AM
VegasTriker

Bikes: Catrike 700, Greenspeed GTO trike, , Linear LWB recumbent, Haluzak Horizon SWB recumbent, Balance 450 MTB, Cannondale SM800 Beast of the East

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 521 Post(s)
Liked 227 Times in 179 Posts
I never came across a tube I couldn't inflate enough to find a hole if there is one. You can inflate it to much larger than the deflated tube without damaging it. Have you checked for a slow leak at the valve If it is deflating over a couple of weeks, the hole may be very small or the valve could be leaking a bit.

As to the OP. Do you mean the holes in the tube are at different places relative to the valve opening in the rim? If that is the case it is more of a mystery. If the cause was a bad point in the rim liner the hole should always be at one point on the tube equidistant from the valve. In a pinch you can cover the existing liner with narrow electrical tape. I've done that for years and it works fine.
Have you run your hand around the inside of the rim looking for burrs? It's easy to file down them if you find one. That could be your source of the holes but it still would be located around the same distance from the valve on all of the tubes.
Old 04-04-20, 11:34 AM
Unca_Sam
The dropped

Bikes: Pake C'Mute Touring/Commuter Build, 1989 Kona Cinder Cone, 1995 Trek 5200, 1973 Raleigh Super Course FG, 1960/61 Montgomery Ward Hawthorne "thrift" 3 speed, by Hercules (sold) : 1966 Schwinn Deluxe Racer (sold)

Originally Posted by VegasTriker
I never came across a tube I couldn't inflate enough to find a hole if there is one. You can inflate it to much larger than the deflated tube without damaging it. Have you checked for a slow leak at the valve If it is deflating over a couple of weeks, the hole may be very small or the valve could be leaking a bit.

As to the OP. Do you mean the holes in the tube are at different places relative to the valve opening in the rim? If that is the case it is more of a mystery. If the cause was a bad point in the rim liner the hole should always be at one point on the tube equidistant from the valve. In a pinch you can cover the existing liner with narrow electrical tape. I've done that for years and it works fine.
Have you run your hand around the inside of the rim looking for burrs? It's easy to file down them if you find one. That could be your source of the holes but it still would be located around the same distance from the valve on all of the tubes.
Butyl rim strips or strips that aren't tight enough to prevent movement or sliding on the rim can be pushed out of position by unmounting and remounting the tire to patch the leak. I ended up with two flats on a tour once. One from a glass shard, and one miles later from an exposed spoke hole. If the strip needs to be replaced, it's possible to expose new spoke holes to cut the tube.
Old 04-04-20, 03:10 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7628 Post(s)
Liked 3,448 Times in 1,822 Posts
When i have a tube that won't hold enough air to let me search for the hole (or holes, usually) I either fold, clamp, or tie the tube into segments. That way i can localize the hole---and often, I can work my way around the tube, folding over a section and inflating the rest, then folding over the next section, until I have narrowed down the hole's location pretty well. Then I fold that section, clamp it (with anything---two small pieces of wood and a vice grip?) and get the rest of the tube really puffed up. So far, every time, I have been able to slowly open up the clamped part and find the holes----and by every time, I mean, 'in more than fifty years of doing this" so I at least, have faith in the method.
Old 04-07-20, 12:44 AM
boggy

Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
I figured it must be bad/cheap rim tape, so I ordered beefy Velox cotton rim tape. I just got it. Do I tape it over the flimsy rubber rim tape that is already there, or take it off first? I never put my own rim tape in place, any tips?
Old 04-07-20, 06:16 AM
Unca_Sam
The dropped

I figured it must be bad/cheap rim tape, so I ordered beefy Velox cotton rim tape. I just got it. Do I tape it over the flimsy rubber rim tape that is already there, or take it off first? I never put my own rim tape in place, any tips?
Remove the old rim strip, clean the rim bed, and line up the valve stem holes. I overlap the tape ends a little, maybe 3cm.
Old 04-07-20, 07:16 AM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1511 Post(s)
Liked 733 Times in 454 Posts
Narrow tape for wide rims, wide tape for narrow rims. This sounds bass-ackwards but it's because wide rims have a center trough that's narrower than narrow rims. The concern is to completely cover all the spoke holes, not the entire rim bed. You only want one layer of rim strip; just make sure it's an effective layer! You might also want to examine the rim for a rough spot somewhere else on the inside, not just at a hole.

It's not valid to submerge the wheel - tire, rim, and all - and determine where the hole is. Air will leak out of any random spoke hole. And if the hole so big it's preventing you from inflating the tube, then its location should be obvious. Pump while someone else visually examines the tube more closely.
Old 04-07-20, 01:31 PM
boggy

Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
Thank you guys, I have replaced the rim tape. The thick cotton 22mm Velox tape nicely filled the rim wall to wall. The thin and narrow flimsy plastic band that was there before was a total joke in comparison. Hopefully this will put a stop to tube failures on the side facing the rim.

Last edited by boggy; 04-07-20 at 01:45 PM.
Old 04-07-20, 04:13 PM
Unca_Sam
The dropped

Thank you guys, I have replaced the rim tape. The thick cotton 22mm Velox tape nicely filled the rim wall to wall. The thin and narrow flimsy plastic band that was there before was a total joke in comparison. Hopefully this will put a stop to tube failures on the side facing the rim.
If you have trouble mounting the tire, the thicker tape can sometimes be to blame. For me, I'll use the thinner strip wall to wall, and the thicker tape just to cover the spoke holes/ heads of the nipples (for vintage single wall rims).

Happy trails!
Old 04-07-20, 06:04 PM
boggy

Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Unca_Sam
If you have trouble mounting the tire, the thicker tape can sometimes be to blame. For me, I'll use the thinner strip wall to wall, and the thicker tape just to cover the spoke holes/ heads of the nipples (for vintage single wall rims).

Happy trails!
Yes, the tire did have a pretty snug fit, I noticed. The tape was thick and taking the entire width of the rim. But it looked like a very reliable set up, so I am going to stick to this arrangement.
Old 04-08-20, 10:36 AM
Cyclehog93

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Change to tubeless

I finally switched to tubeless and haven’t had a flat since.
Old 04-10-20, 03:44 PM
rowerek

Bikes: Colnago C40 2004, 1985 Centurion Elite RS, Specialized Roubaix Elite

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked 72 Times in 32 Posts
most likely rim strip issue