Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

What have you been wrenching on lately?

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

What have you been wrenching on lately?

Old 04-04-20, 06:17 PM
billnuke1 

Bikes: Only my riders left...

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 350 Post(s)
Liked 782 Times in 389 Posts
Ready for serious ridin’

First bike worked on in the newly(never) finished shop area...tried all three stands...gotta kick the lighting up a bit...have an LED shop moved from another part of the shop just waitin’...
Likes For billnuke1:
Old 04-05-20, 02:34 PM
Nemosengineer 

Bikes: Teledyne Titan, Bob Jackson Audax Club, Bob Jackson World Tour, AlAn Record Ergal, 3Rensho Katana.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked 623 Times in 245 Posts
I am going nuts trying to match touch up paint paint for my current project the 3Rensho. I am using water based acrylic model paint and so far I have a good match for the white pearl with a bit of mixing with a off white that matches the slight ageing of the factory paint, but the blue pearl is making me insane as it is very close to French blue and I'm close but no cigar, more paint on order.
I had to buy a new airbrush as my current single action rig is incapable of really fine work, I bought a double action Badger Sotar 20/20 with three nozzle and needle sets, so we will see how this works out when it shows up.

: Mike

Last edited by Nemosengineer; 04-05-20 at 02:38 PM.
Old 04-05-20, 03:47 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 510 Post(s)
Quoted: 7287 Post(s)
Liked 2,364 Times in 1,382 Posts
We escaped NYC for the quarantine, and I left my Super Course there. I plan to go back this week and pick it up along with a few other things. I want to get it done finally. I feel like I haven't ridden it in a year, with the rebuild in progress.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Likes For noglider:
Old 04-05-20, 04:45 PM
jdawginsc 
Edumacator

Bikes: '87 Crestdale, '87 Basso Gap, '92 Rossin Performance EL-OS, 1990 VanTuyl, 1980s Losa, 1985 Trek 670, 1982 AD SLE, 1987 PX10, etc...

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 2385 Post(s)
Liked 2,931 Times in 1,862 Posts
Originally Posted by Mad Honk
J dawg,
Yeah that dryer action cooked the paint off of eight vintage frames including my built for team Trek 770. Warped half of the wheels. Blew the tires off of all of them (Clement sew ups), melted eight Corsa saddles, and all of the bar tape and pro racing numbers. Over $11K in just the eight bikes. That was the limit of my off site liability as they were in storage in a friends vacant garage. No one around at midnight when the fire started and definitely no one around at 2AM when the fire inspector got there. I'm just glad no one was hurt! Still the getting shorter thing is bugging me. I guess I'm not growing old gracefully. Smiles, MH
Obviously I didn't mean your fire!!!! That was a horrible event. Hope I didn't inadvertently offend!
1987 Crest Cannondale, 1987 Basso Gap, 1992 Rossin Performance EL, 1990ish Van Tuyl, 1985 Trek 670, 1982 AD SLE, 2003 Pinarello Surprise, 1990ish MBK Atlantique, 1987 Peugeot Competition, 1987 Nishiki Tri-A, 1981 Faggin, 1996 Cannondale M500, 1984 Mercian, 1982 AD SuperLeicht, 1985 Massi (model unknown), 1988 Daccordi Griffe , 1989 Fauxsin MTB, 1981 Ciocc Mockba, 1992 Bianchi Giro, 1977 Colnago Super

Old 04-05-20, 08:16 PM
Mad Honk 

Bikes: Paramount, Faggin, Ochsner, Ciocc, Basso

Mentioned: 114 Post(s)
Quoted: 1283 Post(s)
Liked 1,836 Times in 1,110 Posts
J dawg,
Next time I 'm tempted to put my legs in the dryer I'll send you a note. No offense taken. Smiles, MH
Likes For Mad Honk:
Old 04-06-20, 01:47 AM
JaccoW
Overdoing projects

Bikes: Batavus Randonneur GL, Gazelle Orange Excellent, Gazelle Super Licht, Gazelle Grand Tourist, Gazelle Lausanne, Gazelle Tandem, Koga-Miyata SilverAce, Koga-Miyata WorldTraveller

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 783 Post(s)
Liked 1,215 Times in 677 Posts
Originally Posted by primo123
Mongoose Switchback.
[...]
If anyone is interested, I created a video but not sure if YT links are allowed?
Sure, I'd love to see that. Just paste the direct link and the forum will transform it into an inline video.
Old 04-06-20, 04:08 AM
JaccoW
Overdoing projects

Bikes: Batavus Randonneur GL, Gazelle Orange Excellent, Gazelle Super Licht, Gazelle Grand Tourist, Gazelle Lausanne, Gazelle Tandem, Koga-Miyata SilverAce, Koga-Miyata WorldTraveller

Gave the SilverAce a good wax this weekend in the sun and even waxed the plastic chaincase!
Tried the XL-FDD 90mm hub to see how it would look on the bike but I should probably just measure the rim now I received it today and order the spokes for the final stretch.

The good weather was also a great chance to do some work in the garden. We cleared an overgrown patch under a tree that grabs a lot of sun and turned it into a herbal garden.
Thyme, sage, mint, oregano, marjoram, chervil, lovage, chive and parsley are now in our communal garden together with an ever growing bush of rosemary.

Likes For JaccoW:
Old 04-06-20, 07:01 AM
primo123

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by JaccoW
Sure, I'd love to see that. Just paste the direct link and the forum will transform it into an inline video.

Likes For primo123:
Old 04-06-20, 10:31 AM
polymorphself 

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 830 Post(s)
Liked 1,063 Times in 512 Posts
Originally Posted by SurferRosa
Finished this '91 Trek 400. I bought it for its Mavic/Superbe wheelset that I needed for a Schwinn. I found a Trek wheelset in super shape that came off a similar, but older model. Most of the components were already on it, including the triple crankset, ARX rear mech (without a barrel adjuster), and Accushift shifters. With a Suntour 6-speed freewheel I added, it's indexing rather well. I doubt that will last for any long term, though. It just uses brake housing for the RD. But the right shifter can switch to friction pretty easily. If my niece can stand over it, it's all hers.

Total spent on this once-$50-bike is now $200, but includes new consumables, a new cartridge bb, and some nicer parts from my bin, like the seatpost and saddle. But I did get an awesome wheelset out of the deal.
Non-aero levers just a preference or what you had on hand? I prefer the look, just curious.
Old 04-06-20, 10:57 AM
52telecaster
ambulatory senior

Bikes: Austro Daimler modified by Gugie! Raleigh Professional and lots of other bikes.

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 1953 Post(s)
Liked 3,633 Times in 1,670 Posts
Gave the SilverAce a good wax this weekend in the sun and even waxed the plastic chaincase!
Tried the XL-FDD 90mm hub to see how it would look on the bike but I should probably just measure the rim now I received it today and order the spokes for the final stretch.

The good weather was also a great chance to do some work in the garden. We cleared an overgrown patch under a tree that grabs a lot of sun and turned it into a herbal garden.
Thyme, sage, mint, oregano, marjoram, chervil, lovage, chive and parsley are now in our communal garden together with an ever growing bush of rosemary.

that is a serious hub. I bought one for a tandem.
my compliments to your strength!
Old 04-06-20, 12:29 PM
JaccoW
Overdoing projects

Originally Posted by 52telecaster
that is a serious hub. I bought one for a tandem.
my compliments to your strength!
Not much to do with strength and more with a desire for some slight overkill in braking capacity.
I just figured if I plan on carrying loads on this bike and I already have a 90mm drum in the rear, I might as well put one in front too!

I came across a build log a few years ago that I really liked of someone who rebuild a British Royal Mail Postie bike and used this hub for the front. The Postmaster - The Smut Pedaller.
Mind you, that frame is extremely heavy duty with its integrated rack at nearly 4kg (8.8 lbs) for the frame and 1.3kg (2.8 lbs) for the fork. Then again, I wasn't planning on carrying whole people in the front.

What kind of tandem are you putting it on?

Last edited by JaccoW; 04-06-20 at 12:52 PM.
Old 04-06-20, 12:57 PM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3846 Post(s)
Liked 6,437 Times in 3,183 Posts
Originally Posted by polymorphself
Non-aero levers just a preference or what you had on hand? I prefer the look, just curious.
Yeah, I prefer the look, too. But I didn't really think about it as that was the brakeset already on the bike, and I had the newish hoods in my bin. Maybe for a '91, non-aeros look a little out of place. But I assume only the shifters and headset are original, so it likely doesn't matter all that much. My niece showed interest early, then backed off. (She's 5'6".) So I guess I'll be listing this one on craigs soon.
Old 04-06-20, 01:57 PM
Goosecheck 

Bikes: '84 Bianchi Professional, '94 Mongoose Rockadile(Dirt drop conversion), '10 Jamis Eclipse, '71 Peugeot UE8, '17 New Albion Privateer(Rando build), '96 Specialized Crossroads Cruz(Cross build) '72 Peugeot AE8(Porteur Conversion), 2010 Guru Magis

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 40 Posts
Just a bit more spit and polish

Something I had in mind since the original inkling of this build. In keeping with the aesthetic of Singer and others, and in accordance with historic French law, an engraved stem cap with this owner’s name and address (slightly redacted). Fortunately, I recently found this UK based company (www.KAPZ.com) that makes custom engraved stem caps. This is their “bolt-less” design, with deep laser etched text. An additional bit of French flavor. (French language experts: Please do not point out any errors in my self-researched Google-translation of my address. I make no claims that it is 100% correct. )
“The Golden Age of Handbuilt Bicycles” (Pg. 60)

“The Golden Age of Handbuilt Bicycles” (Pg. 77)

Likes For Goosecheck:
Old 04-06-20, 02:01 PM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Location: Arcata, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way

Bikes: 1984 Araya MB 261, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 1993 Hard Rock Ultra, 1994 Trek Multitrack 750, 1995 Trek Singletrack 930

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1524 Post(s)
Liked 1,513 Times in 906 Posts

Nice bike. Nice garden too, just watch out for that mint; it'll take over the yard and possibly the neighborhood.
Likes For Korina:
Old 04-06-20, 04:44 PM
tincup

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
seeing these puppies stripped down to the body and rehabbed completely is giving me such inspiration
Old 04-06-20, 04:44 PM
tincup

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
nice garden!
Likes For tincup:
Old 04-06-20, 04:51 PM
52telecaster
ambulatory senior

Bikes: Austro Daimler modified by Gugie! Raleigh Professional and lots of other bikes.

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 1953 Post(s)
Liked 3,633 Times in 1,670 Posts
Not much to do with strength and more with a desire for some slight overkill in braking capacity.
I just figured if I plan on carrying loads on this bike and I already have a 90mm drum in the rear, I might as well put one in front too!

I came across a build log a few years ago that I really liked of someone who rebuild a British Royal Mail Postie bike and used this hub for the front. The Postmaster - The Smut Pedaller.
Mind you, that frame is extremely heavy duty with its integrated rack at nearly 4kg (8.8 lbs) for the frame and 1.3kg (2.8 lbs) for the fork. Then again, I wasn't planning on carrying whole people in the front.

What kind of tandem are you putting it on?
i had it on an old gitane. Nice job stopping.
also had the 70mm dyno on another bike. Both worked well but a lighter dyno and calipers usually make me plenty happy.
Likes For 52telecaster:
Old 04-06-20, 06:11 PM
JaccoW
Overdoing projects

Originally Posted by tincup
nice garden!
Thanks!

It's the shared garden of the former monastery that I live in. Probably somewhere around 50-70 years old, maybe more but I can't be sure because the area was heavily bombed in WW2.
The nice thing is that the monks who used to live there brought back seeds from where they went on mission so we have a very eclectic mixture of plants in the garden. It's kind of wild and woodland-ish.

With the excellent weather we are having at the moment a couple of us living there decided it would be a good time to take care of some overgrown areas and take out some weeds.
The final result of the herbal garden:

And another view + bikes here:

Perhaps we should start a "Post your garden-thread"?
Likes For JaccoW:
Old 04-06-20, 06:34 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4493 Post(s)
Liked 6,298 Times in 3,633 Posts
Well, a bikes in the garden thread at least.
Likes For merziac:
Old 04-06-20, 08:42 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4253 Post(s)
Liked 3,866 Times in 2,579 Posts
Originally Posted by Goosecheck
Something I had in mind since the original inkling of this build. In keeping with the aesthetic of Singer and others, and in accordance with historic French law, an engraved stem cap with this owner’s name and address (slightly redacted). Fortunately, I recently found this UK based company (www.KAPZ.com) that makes custom engraved stem caps. This is their “bolt-less” design, with deep laser etched text. An additional bit of French flavor. (French language experts: Please do not point out any errors in my self-researched Google-translation of my address. I make no claims that it is 100% correct. )
“The Golden Age of Handbuilt Bicycles” (Pg. 60)

“The Golden Age of Handbuilt Bicycles” (Pg. 77)

That is a neat build. I have that same frame but went in a totally different direction. Mine is a 1x9 hybrid with Surly Moloko bars and a carbon fork. It is super cool to see it built up so differently and with more vintage parts (mine is mostly parts bin stuff but the oldest stuff is 8 speed era in the rear xt derailleur)
Old 04-06-20, 09:04 PM
Classtime 

Bikes: 82 Medici, 2011 Richard Sachs, 2011 Milwaukee Road

Quoted: 1924 Post(s)
Liked 1,954 Times in 1,086 Posts
Replaced the head-in drive side spokes on my Record/GP4 wheel after a perfect storm left this:

I am not a dork. The

I had some close-enough DT-Comps, so I detensioned the wheel, cut the spokes out, threaded on the replacements, and then, while bringing the wheel up to tension, one nipple let go of its spoke! Uh oh. Luckily, the spoke was the culprit and I didn't have to peel off the tire to replace the nipple.
Old 04-06-20, 11:11 PM
zjrog

Bikes: 1986 KHS Fiero, 1989 Trek 950, 1990 Trek 7000, 1991 Gary Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo, 1992 Trek 1400, 1997 Cannondale CAD2 R300, 1998 Cannondale CAD2 R200, 2002 Marin San Rafael, 2006 Cannondale CAAD8 R1000, 2010 Performance Access XCL9R

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked 385 Times in 207 Posts
With forced time at home, my basement is my retreat.

A few weeks ago, I fashioned a workbench from our old waterbed Captain's Pedestal. The 3 pieces of the bee's platform make for a solid benchtop. And storage galore.

I've wrenched on my 86 KHS Fiero, and swapped pedals and seatpost collar on my 06 Cannondale CAAD8 R1000. Finished stripping my 02 Marin San Rafael hybrid, while I decide what to do with it (most likely 1x8 and rigid fork for now). I have some brake issues to resolve with my 91 Trek 7000 tomorrow. And just waiting for a new cartridge BB for my 97 Cannondale CAAD2 R300.

Meanwhile, the weather is not wholly conducive to me riding, wind adds to my allergies, especially affecting my eyes...

For good measure, the bench has been a good spot to mess with my old laptops. Experimenting with different flavors of Linux. And resurrected an older tablet (no ANT+, and old enough to run Zwift Companion but without maps displayed. While I got it working after 4 years, I bought a battery and charge port for it, so it will charge reliably. It will be great for the grandkids to use when they visit. Someday...

I also have to tear down the Rochshox Dart 3 fork off my 29er. Needs fluid changed and seals replaced...
Old 04-07-20, 03:39 AM
JaccoW
Overdoing projects

Originally Posted by Classtime
Replaced the head-in drive side spokes on my Record/GP4 wheel after a perfect storm left this:
I am not a dork. The ...
Don't leave us hanging like that!

What happened here?
Old 04-07-20, 06:37 AM
Classtime 

Bikes: 82 Medici, 2011 Richard Sachs, 2011 Milwaukee Road

Quoted: 1924 Post(s)
Liked 1,954 Times in 1,086 Posts
Don't leave us hanging like that!

What happened here?
The Story:

I have a habit of always unclipping left side first by rotating my heel outwards. I took my Centurion Turbo out on Sunday morning and clipping in, I remembered that the left side pedal was giving me a little trouble. I made a mental note to remember to look into that when I got home. A few miles into my ride, at a stop sign, I couldn't unclip in my habitual way--left heel out. Luckily, I was on level ground and I had a moment while coasting a few feet to turn my heel inwards and unclip. After a few trials with the pedal clipping and unclipping, I was concerned enough to head home. There is a light just before I go up a short hill to my house. No problems so far. I cross the street, prepare for the short climb by shifting to the big cog, and notice that the chain is still on the big ring. When I shift the chain onto the little ring, it drops off onto the bottom bracket. Yikes. I manage to unclip, put the chain on, and hand cranking, I notice the chain came off the big cog into the spokes. The chain went back on easily. No harm done. Now I'm in my lowest gear and head up the hill. Half way up, I decide to check my rear derailleur by shifting to a smaller cog and the back to the big cog. The chain goes up and over into the spokes, I can't unclip in my habitual way, I panic, on the hill, no coasting, I pedal one grinding revolution while I finally unclip and the damage is done. I released the rear brake and made it safely to my garage where I discovered a loose pedal cleat and one of three cleat bolts missing. This was the problem and not the pedal. So,
1. I could have stopped and solved my "pedal" problem right away.
2. I could have learned long ago to be proficient unclipping left or right.
3. Big ring big cog is never a good idea.
And 4. Never check rear derailleur limit screw adjustments in real life, under load, going uphill, unable to unclip or coast.
Old 04-07-20, 08:09 AM
eom 
Eccentric Old Man

Bikes: 1986 Trek 520 Cirrus, 1979 Schwinn Traveler III, Trek T100, 1995 Trek 970, Fuji America

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 248 Post(s)
Liked 173 Times in 87 Posts
Thanks!

Perhaps we should start a "Post your garden-thread"?
Try this. https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...ur-garden.html

Likes For eom:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.