Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Mavic Wheels - what size? 27? 700?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-20, 10:36 PM
hobkirk
Retired dabbler

Location: Acton, MA (20 miles west of Boston) - GORGEOUS cycling territory!

Bikes: 2007 Specialized Roubaix Elite Triple - 1st ride = century 9/19/2010 , Ultegra

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I bought a pair of Mavic "on special" at Belmont Wheelworks - about $350 w/ tires, IIRC. . I recently bought a new tire - Conti 5000 700x25. It was VERY, VERY hard to mount. I've done it twice - once in my office and once on the side of the road. Both times it took me about 30 minutes to mount the tire, working the levers in a myriad of configurations, trying to find the most effective distance between levers and levering 3 or 4 simultaneously. One lever is a yellow Pedro's.

I remember reading that 700 and 27" tires are very similar, but are not interchangeable. So I wonder if that's what's going on?

So what size are my wheels? I am not even sure what wheels they are:
  • The rim is labeled Mavic Aksium Elite
  • 180 degrees opposite, it's labeled Kysyrium Equipe
  • As far as I can tell from the Mavic site, those are two different wheels.
  • And there's a small decal = ALU S6000 - 622x1c (it's very hard to read, but I think that's correct)
I've always used Conti 4000's - is this a 5000 tire problem?

Next time, I expect I will be forced to use two metal screwdrivers, which is obviously courting disaster. I weigh 230#, my tires take lots of abuse. I have ridden 30K miles, so I've fixed a lot of flats.

Thank you for reading and your consideration.
-----
That said: isn't it a joy that we get to ride during this virus shutdown? I am not a social person, but I sure find the social isolation painful. Riding through Concord and Carlisle, it's a real delight to see groups of 2 or 3 kids walking (many more walkers than normal).
--------
MAGNIFICENT ANSWERS! THANK YOU ALL. The depth of your collective experience is a true delight.

Last edited by hobkirk; 04-07-20 at 12:08 PM.
Old 04-06-20, 10:43 PM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds. 2019 Giant Explore E+3

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1787 Post(s)
Liked 1,261 Times in 870 Posts
A 27" tire would blow off your rim. The BSD is 630mm vs 622mm.
Old 04-07-20, 02:25 AM
jgwilliams

Bikes: Dolan Tuono 105 Di2, custom built 653 and 531 bikes with frames by Barry Witcomb, Sonder Dial XT mountain bike and a Brompton folding bike.

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 298 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 100 Posts
I had some wheels like that once. I bought myself some metal tyre levers specially for those wheels as I kept breaking the plastic ones.

Modern Mavic Ksyrium and Aksium rims are UST standard - tubeless compatible. There may be something about that which is making it harder to mount the tyres - perhaps they don't have such a deep gulley in the centre?
Old 04-07-20, 04:38 AM
dsaul

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 713 Post(s)
Liked 796 Times in 473 Posts
Mounting tires on tubeless rims requires you to push the bead of the tire into the center channel in order for the tire to fit over the edge of the rim. With MTB tires, it is fairly easy because the tires and rims are wider and the bead tends to fall into the center channel on its own. With road tires, the sidewalls are stiffer and the bead needs to be pushed into the center channel in order to get enough slack to mount the tire. There are several illustrations of this on this page. https://www.pinkbike.com/news/To-The...ires-2013.html
Old 04-07-20, 04:53 AM
dsbrantjr

Bikes: '93 Trek 750, '92 Schwinn Crisscross, '93 Mongoose Alta

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 1,092 Times in 723 Posts
If you are using thick rim tape like VELOX, you could try going to something like Continental Easy Tape, or filament-reinforced packing tape, or Kapton. The thinner tape will give more room to get the bead down in the rim.
Old 04-07-20, 07:54 AM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,095 Times in 741 Posts
Originally Posted by hobkirk
  • The rim is labeled Mavic Aksium Elite
  • 180 degrees opposite, it's labeled Kysyrium Equipe
  • As far as I can tell from the Mavic site, those are two different wheels.
  • And there's a small decal = ALU S6000 - 622x1c (it's very hard to read, but I think that's correct)
The "622" means these are 700c wheels so that's certain. As to the two model names I think Aksium is the name Mavic uses for the rims and Kysyrim is their name for the complete wheel set.

As to mounting difficulty, the ultimate tire mounting tool is the KoolStop Tire Bead Jack. Get one and your difficulties are over.
Old 04-07-20, 09:04 AM
dsbrantjr

Bikes: '93 Trek 750, '92 Schwinn Crisscross, '93 Mongoose Alta

Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 1,092 Times in 723 Posts
Originally Posted by HillRider
As to mounting difficulty, the ultimate tire mounting tool is the KoolStop Tire Bead Jack. Get one and your difficulties are over.
Don't leave home without it!
Old 04-07-20, 09:10 AM
Marcus_Ti
FLIR Kitten to 0.05C

Bikes: Roadie: Seven Axiom Race Ti w/Chorus 11s. CX/Adventure: Carver Gravel Grinder w/ Di2

Quoted: 2349 Post(s)
Liked 406 Times in 254 Posts
Conti GP5000s are well known to be very hard to mount tires.
Old 04-07-20, 09:30 AM
davidad

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 582 Post(s)
Liked 171 Times in 138 Posts
Originally Posted by dsbrantjr
don't leave home without it!
amen!
Old 04-07-20, 10:37 AM
jgwilliams

Bikes: Dolan Tuono 105 Di2, custom built 653 and 531 bikes with frames by Barry Witcomb, Sonder Dial XT mountain bike and a Brompton folding bike.

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 298 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 100 Posts
Originally Posted by dsbrantjr
If you are using thick rim tape like VELOX, you could try going to something like Continental Easy Tape, or filament-reinforced packing tape, or Kapton. The thinner tape will give more room to get the bead down in the rim.
I think you'll find that they don't need rim tape at all. Certainly my Ksyrium rims didn't.