Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

I need a new rim

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

I need a new rim

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-20, 11:08 AM
JUNotABikePro

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I need a new rim

Good Day,

I have a serve problem with my bike. I have a trek 3500 disk, and the rear rim is severely bent and I need a new replacement that is compatible with this bike. I do know the rims on the bike now are the 26 inch bontrager AT -550, but thats about it. I don't now a lot about bikes so all help is very welcomed. I also wouldn't mind suggestions to learn how to fix a bent rim, but I rather just upgrade with something not too hard on the wallet. Once again thank you for reading.
Old 04-07-20, 11:36 AM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds. 2019 Giant Explore E+3

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1787 Post(s)
Liked 1,261 Times in 870 Posts
How did it get bent?
I've had a rim go way out of true by just being dropped about 3 feet with the bike leaned over.
It was simply a poor quality BUILD with the spoke tension very uneven.
I was able to true & properly tension it to far better than new.
Of course, if you hit something HARD.....
Old 04-07-20, 11:37 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6178 Post(s)
Liked 4,795 Times in 3,307 Posts
Does your severe problem mean that the wheel rim is folded over like a taco shell and you can't ride it? Or is it just wobbling back and forth?

If this was purchased new, did you take it back and let them tune up the bike when they told you too? The bike shops around me say that includes checking the spokes and doing normal truing of the wheel rims.

Spokes on new wheels will loosen up as you ride. So having them checked after the first 300 or 400 miles of riding is good practice IMO.

I'd recommend you deal with a local bike shop. Some have mobile service and other may not have to close their shops entirely. Truing your own wheel can be done, but you can really muck it up and not know it while still having a somewhat true wheel.
Old 04-07-20, 12:58 PM
JUNotABikePro

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01
Does your severe problem mean that the wheel rim is folded over like a taco shell and you can't ride it? Or is it just wobbling back and forth?

If this was purchased new, did you take it back and let them tune up the bike when they told you too? The bike shops around me say that includes checking the spokes and doing normal truing of the wheel rims.

Spokes on new wheels will loosen up as you ride. So having them checked after the first 300 or 400 miles of riding is good practice IMO.

I'd recommend you deal with a local bike shop. Some have mobile service and other may not have to close their shops entirely. Truing your own wheel can be done, but you can really muck it up and not know it while still having a somewhat true wheel.
My friend gave me the bike after my first one got stolen, and i guess I was being a little over dramatic by saying severely, its wobbling back and forth, and it's getting worst by the days. The local bike shops our closed to due to the current situation and won't be open until the governor gives the ok.
Old 04-07-20, 01:00 PM
JUNotABikePro

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Bill Kapaun
How did it get bent?
I've had a rim go way out of true by just being dropped about 3 feet with the bike leaned over.
It was simply a poor quality BUILD with the spoke tension very uneven.
I was able to true & properly tension it to far better than new.
Of course, if you hit something HARD.....
To be honest I don't know how it got bent, I noticed it on the home from work recently, and figured its probably a thing I should get fixed before I can't get it to turn anymore and end up getting to work late.
Old 04-07-20, 01:15 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6178 Post(s)
Liked 4,795 Times in 3,307 Posts
Are you certain none of them have mobile services that still can operate?

I wouldn't ride it. My son has a Marlin 29'er with Bontrager AT650 rims that he bought new. He taco'd his front rim on a hill and curve doing about 20 mph. He was lucky and was only sore a few days. Nothing wrong with the Bontrager rims, just coincidence that yours are too. What I think is common though, is that he didn't take his bike back for that free tune up as they recommended. I'm pretty sure I'd advised him the same several weeks before the crash.

Surprisingly, I don't think many people do go back for that free tune up. After getting his road bike, my son did take it back for the free check up. I guess it sometimes takes something to motivate you.

Wile I've tightened spokes and straightened wheel rims in the past myself, I'm certain I've missed out on some aspect of doing it right. You have to worry roundness of the wheel rim as well as how true it runs. You can put too much tension on one spoke and bring it back to true, instead of balancing the tension of several spokes to get it true which will make your wheel stronger and less failure prone.

Last edited by Iride01; 04-07-20 at 01:19 PM.
Old 04-07-20, 01:19 PM
WizardOfBoz
Generally bewildered

Bikes: 2014 Trek Domane 6.9, 1999 LeMond Zurich, 1978 Schwinn Superior

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1152 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 251 Posts
Couple things. When you say "wobbling", with the bike inverted or a rack (no weight on the wheel), how much does the rim move back and forth?

Starting at the inflation stem and working around, are there any loose spokes? Are some more loose than others?

This may be a truing issue. Or, you may indeed need a new rim.
Old 04-07-20, 01:29 PM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1815 Post(s)
Liked 1,693 Times in 974 Posts
Originally Posted by JUNotABikePro
My friend gave me the bike after my first one got stolen, and i guess I was being a little over dramatic by saying severely, its wobbling back and forth, and it's getting worst by the days. The local bike shops our closed to due to the current situation and won't be open until the governor gives the ok.
Are there any broken spokes? In order to rebuild the wheel with a new rim, broken spokes would have to be replaced.
Or, by new rim do you really mean that you wish to buy a new wheel? A rim is a part of a complete wheel