Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

The Lonely Road

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

The Lonely Road

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-20, 10:51 AM
KFC
Harsh Adventurer

Bikes: Co-Op adv1.1, Cannondale Synapse 105 Carbon

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 13 Posts
The Lonely Road

Solo tour across America (east to west) . I used the Eastern Express Route, created by Mr. Frank Moritz, as far west as Walden Colorado, and then a route of my own making to Oceanside California.

https://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/thelonelyroad

Be Safe...

Last edited by KFC; 04-18-20 at 06:48 AM.
Old 04-07-20, 09:57 PM
DropBarFan

Bikes: 2013 Surly Disc Trucker, 2004 Novara Randonee , old fixie , etc

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 671 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 43 Posts
Thanks for sharing. I've seen various accounts of trans-USA rides but hadn't noticed the total elevation was that much!
Likes For DropBarFan:
Old 04-08-20, 06:04 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18409 Post(s)
Liked 15,530 Times in 7,326 Posts
Frank took over our unsupported ACA Northern Tier tour in 1999 when our original leader proved inadequate. Joined us in Red Wing, MN but could only stay until Booneville, NY. Great guy.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 04-08-20, 06:45 PM
rseeker

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 318 Post(s)
Liked 149 Times in 104 Posts
That's INCREDIBLE. What a great trip, thanks for sharing.
Old 04-08-20, 07:05 PM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5888 Post(s)
Liked 3,471 Times in 2,079 Posts
I enjoyed the video. How about some pics of the bike?
Likes For bikemig:
Old 04-08-20, 08:17 PM
KC8QVO

Bikes: Surly Disk Trucker, 2014 w/Brooks Flyer Special saddle, Tubus racks - Duo front/Logo Evo rear, 2019 Dahon Mariner D8, Both bikes share Ortlieb Packer Plus series panniers, Garmin Edge 1000

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 405 Post(s)
Liked 115 Times in 99 Posts
Interesting ride. Thanks for sharing. Just a critique - the slide show went by so fast even trying to pause on some of the frames wasn't working for me. Maybe add 2-3 seconds for each frame duration.

Originally Posted by DropBarFan
Thanks for sharing. I've seen various accounts of trans-USA rides but hadn't noticed the total elevation was that much!
I got the calculator going here....

Avg mileage comes out to 51.6 miles/day. Thats amazing. Thats 51.6 miles every day for 71 days on average. I hope there were some 0 days in there for rest days? In any event - that is some wild mileage to keep pace with for that period of time.

Elevation gain came out to 32.42 miles.

And I'm trying to work up to riding about 350 miles with 6200ft of elevation gain over a ~8-10 day period....
Likes For KC8QVO:
Old 04-09-20, 05:35 PM
KFC
Harsh Adventurer

Originally Posted by bikemig
I enjoyed the video. How about some pics of the bike?

As configured at the start - carrying 44 lbs of gear. I carried 67 lbs hrough the desert - he difference being water.
Likes For KFC:
Old 04-09-20, 05:40 PM
KFC
Harsh Adventurer

Although the total journey took 71 days, I only spent 61 days riding the bike. The other 10 days were spent resting , waiting out inclement weather and drinking beer. I sent out a nightly situation report with a brief update and a picture or two - link below if your interested.

https://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/thelonelyroad
Old 04-09-20, 06:14 PM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
I loved the video, in particular as a one-time cross country cyclist.

I was epecially intrigued by how you captured the topgraphy of the country, with the long series of photos of the flat Plains, then a few shots of the upcoming Mountains. Going in our opposite direction I recently posted:
Originally Posted by smudgy
"TransAmerica Trail Bike Tour, The Dreaded Middle Third"

My 4th and final tour of 2019 captured on video. I only had time to ride from Pueblo, CO to Carbondale, IL. I heard a biker call it the dreaded middle third. He said it's called that because that's where most people quit. Kanas is too long, too hot, too windy, too boring.

Maybe so, but I love the open spaces and the small western towns on the high plains
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
The trip was back in May to June of 1977 on our honeymoon as we were moving from Michigan to Boston and managed a two-month hiatus from work... We navigated with an AAA USA Road map showing us the general direction, and then we used state Highway maps for day-to-day routes..

[We] crossed the Continental Divide at Wolf Creek pass; then through La Veta pass on into Kansas, through Garden City (where we met a Bikecentennial rider for 1976).

Through Kansas we paralleled US 50, and crossed the Missisippi in St Louis (on a Sunday). We crossed the Ohio River three times at Madison, Ind, (?) Mt Carmel, Ill, and Maysville Ky, all charming towns. Then through Southern Ohio crossing into West Virginia at Point Pleasant, and through to Blacksburg, VA, and Winchester, VA....

We entered [Washington] during rush hour on a Monday, crossing the Potomac on Constitution Avenue (the same Route 50 we encountered in Kansas.)

Otherwise the weather was outstanding with only that one bad rain day in Virginia. Even the desert was unseasonably cool in May. We did carry about two gallons of extra water in the desert. The hottest days were in Kansas in early June...
"Emotional letdown after tour ...

There also was a minor let-down as we left the West after the Rocky Mountains since the California and Arizona deserts, and Colorado mountains were such exotic environments for two lifelong Midwesterners who were now descending into more familiar terrain.

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 04-10-20 at 06:22 AM.
Old 04-10-20, 04:03 PM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2135 Post(s)
Liked 1,645 Times in 827 Posts
Thanks for sharing that. What was the toughest climb of your journey? I would assume your climb across the continental divide.
Old 04-11-20, 07:09 AM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
I loved the video, in particular as a one-time cross country cyclist.

I was epecially intrigued by how you captured the topgraphy of the country, with the long series of photos of the flat Plains, then a few shots of the upcoming Mountains. Going in our opposite direction I recently posted:
Originally Posted by Paul Barnard
Thanks for sharing that. What was the toughest climb of your journey? I would assume your climb across the continental divide.
If I presume your post that followed mine, @Paul Barnard, was in response to mine,
...The mountain roads out West were long but not too steep since they were federal highways and had to accommodate trucks. Backroads became more plentiful in Kansas, and the steepest hills were on backroads in the Missouri Ozarks, and in West Virginia Appalachians....
Old 04-11-20, 09:07 AM
KFC
Harsh Adventurer

Originally Posted by Paul Barnard
The toughest climb was probably over the San Bernardino mountains (Victorville to Morena Valley CA). It was certainly the scariest descent. I encountered them at the end of my journey when I was tired and pretty worn out. The Rockies (Cameron Pass and Rabbit Ears Pass) were not as bad as I feared. The grades are lower, but longer. Overall, I dreaded headwinds more than climbs.
Likes For KFC:
Old 04-11-20, 09:20 AM
KFC
Harsh Adventurer

I agree. I found the climbs in OHIO and INDIANA to be pretty steep and frequent. It got frustrating to grind up a steep hill only to immediately give it all back on the descent. I was fully loaded and unsupported, so I considered any day where the ascent exceeded 3000 feet as a difficult day. Thankfully, I only had a few that exceeded 4000 feet, and as I recall, only one that exceeded 5000. It all seems less of a struggle now that I am home sitting on my couch!.
Old 04-11-20, 09:46 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18409 Post(s)
Liked 15,530 Times in 7,326 Posts
Originally Posted by KFC
I agree. I found the climbs in OHIO and INDIANA to be pretty steep and frequent. It got frustrating to grind up a steep hill only to immediately give it all back on the descent.
I hate those days. I've taken three trips across PA and have days like that. Up and down and up and down and...