Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Working as a wrench again.

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Old 04-09-20, 04:36 PM
52telecaster
ambulatory senior

Bikes: Austro Daimler modified by Gugie! Raleigh Professional and lots of other bikes.

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1953 Post(s)
Liked 3,634 Times in 1,671 Posts

Bushwhacker in Peoria IL has its bike shop open as an essential service. Turns out they must be desperate for an initial build guy because they ask me to work for them again. Did 6 hours today and enjoyed it.

Commuter vehicle.
Old 04-09-20, 05:24 PM
texaspandj

Bikes: '85, '86 , '87 , '88 , '89 Centurion Dave Scott Ironman.

Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Quoted: 1605 Post(s)
Liked 582 Times in 379 Posts
Are/were you a full-time musician or weekend warrior?
Old 04-09-20, 05:47 PM
52telecaster
ambulatory senior

Bikes: Austro Daimler modified by Gugie! Raleigh Professional and lots of other bikes.

Originally Posted by texaspandj
more like weeknight. I have toured and gigged all over the midwest. We lost a ton of gigs due to the virus but i took the job just to keep busy. They asked me and i didnt say no.
Old 04-09-20, 05:49 PM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3846 Post(s)
Liked 6,437 Times in 3,183 Posts
How 'bout a weekly blog of all the wrenching goodness (and badness) during this bat wing plague?
Likes For SurferRosa:
Old 04-09-20, 05:52 PM
52telecaster
ambulatory senior

Originally Posted by SurferRosa
How 'bout a weekly blog of all the wrenching goodness (and badness) during this bat wing plague?
im just an initial build guy it would be boring. However i was burning in brakes on a windsept over pass in shorts... as it started snowing.
Old 04-09-20, 06:36 PM
Mad Honk 

Bikes: Paramount, Faggin, Ochsner, Ciocc, Basso

Mentioned: 114 Post(s)
Quoted: 1285 Post(s)
Liked 1,838 Times in 1,111 Posts
Good on ya! I trust all is well and you folks are being safe in this silly period of our existence. Be safe and keep posting. Smiles, MH
Likes For Mad Honk:
Old 04-09-20, 06:36 PM
clubman 
Phyllo-buster

Bikes: roadsters, club bikes, fixed and classic

Mentioned: 133 Post(s)
Quoted: 2288 Post(s)
Liked 2,033 Times in 1,246 Posts
Nice build in 6 hours.
Likes For clubman:
Old 04-09-20, 06:40 PM
52telecaster
ambulatory senior

Originally Posted by clubman
Nice build in 6 hours.
actually 3 intial builds today with training on disc brakes from the head mechanic. It really was wonderful to ride an old motobecane home.
Likes For 52telecaster:
Old 04-09-20, 07:02 PM
Dean51 

Bikes: '8? Ciocc Mockba 80, '82 Ron Cooper, '84 Allez, '86 Tommasini Racing, '86? Klein Quantum, '87 Ciocc Designer 84, '95 Trek 5500, '98 Litespeed Classic, '98 S-Works Mtb

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Liked 307 Times in 121 Posts
I'll offer that I spin wrenches for my LBS when he gets busy....attempting to pay off my coffee bill. What he knows is I will not touch disc brakes, hydraulic or mechanical. It is a skill that I have no desire to acquire. We laugh about this often.

Dean
Old 04-09-20, 07:06 PM
52telecaster
ambulatory senior

Originally Posted by Dean51
I'll offer that I spin wrenches for my LBS when he gets busy....attempting to pay off my coffee bill. What he knows is I will not touch disc brakes, hydraulic or mechanical. It is a skill that I have no desire to acquire. We laugh about this often.

Dean
i wish i could say that. Actually it hasnt been bad but i have only been trained on cable disc brakes. Hydraulic tomorrow.
Old 04-09-20, 07:23 PM
UKFan4Sure
Useless Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 380 Post(s)
Liked 181 Times in 113 Posts
Originally Posted by Dean51

Dean
Ahhhh.... Disc brakes. It wasn't until I acquired this little tool, that things got easier....

Likes For UKFan4Sure:
Old 04-09-20, 07:29 PM
steelbikeguy

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 1820 Post(s)
Liked 3,330 Times in 1,564 Posts
....but are they paying you a good salary?
i.e. are they paying you in toilet paper??

Glad that you can make a few bucks and serve the community at the same time!

Steve in Peoria
Old 04-09-20, 07:33 PM
52telecaster
ambulatory senior

Originally Posted by steelbikeguy
....but are they paying you a good salary?
i.e. are they paying you in toilet paper??

Glad that you can make a few bucks and serve the community at the same time!

Steve in Peoria
its more than minimum wage. With my pension and ssi i am fine no matter.
Old 04-09-20, 07:45 PM
UKFan4Sure
Useless Member

Originally Posted by 52telecaster
its more than minimum wage. With my pension and ssi i am fine no matter.
I was building bikes for a local LBS until one day I went to pick up a few to build, and the day manager said he didn't have time to grab me a few at the time I showed up. Nor would he give me a time to return saying he just didn't know when he'd have time. Granted, it was a Monday morning, but I had already said I'd be by the previous Friday. Well, it's an 18 mile drive from my house, so that was the end of that. If he doesn't have the time to take 5 minutes to grab me 3 boxes, I don't have the round trip 45 minutes (or fuel) to go home and back again.

I was only doing it as a favor anyhow, and had donated all of my previous earnings back to them to use for local charity bike donations. I never earned a dime, but did get a decent discount on parts/accessories I purchased. It was a learning experience, so that was good.
Likes For UKFan4Sure:
Old 04-09-20, 07:49 PM
52telecaster
ambulatory senior

Originally Posted by UKFan4Sure
I was building bikes for a local LBS until one day I went to pick up a few to build, and the day manager said he didn't have time to grab me a few at the time I showed up. Nor would he give me a time to return saying he just didn't know when he'd have time. Granted, it was a Monday morning, but I had already said I'd be by the previous Friday. Well, it's an 18 mile drive from my house, so that was the end of that. If he doesn't have the time to take 5 minutes to grab me 3 boxes, I don't have the round trip 45 minutes (or fuel) to go home and back again.

I was only doing it as a favor anyhow, and had donated all of my previous earnings back to them to use for local charity bike donations. I never earned a dime, but did get a decent discount on parts/accessories I purchased. It was a learning experience, so that was good.
the discount is great. We get qbp stuff for 10 percent over cost.
Likes For 52telecaster:
Old 04-09-20, 08:31 PM
seedsbelize 
smelling the roses

Bikes: 79 Trek 930, 80 Trek 414, 84 Schwinn Letour Luxe (coupled), 92 Schwinn Paramount PDG 5

Mentioned: 104 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7081 Post(s)
Liked 901 Times in 612 Posts
Shortly before the plague struck, I scored a job maintaining a 60 bike rental fleet. Old mtb and less old Cannondale hybrids. And some new ti hybrids. Something fun to do.
​​​

Likes For seedsbelize:
Old 04-09-20, 08:43 PM
52telecaster
ambulatory senior

Originally Posted by seedsbelize
Shortly before the plague struck, I scored a job maintaining a 60 bike rental fleet. Old mtb and less old Cannondale hybrids. And some new ti hybrids. Something fun to do.
​​​
i did that for a while. Share bike fleet of about 35 bikes. Cool job. Congrats!
Old 04-09-20, 09:35 PM
Pompiere

Bikes: 1984 Miyata 310, 1986 Schwinn Sierra, 2011 Jamis Quest, 1980 Peugeot TH8 Tandem, 1992 Performance Parabola, 1987 Ross Mt. Hood, 1988 Schwinn LeTour, 1988 Trek 400T, 1981 Fuji S12-S LTD, 197? FW Evans

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked 943 Times in 495 Posts
the discount is great. We get qbp stuff for 10 percent over cost.
I am only a couple years from retirement, so I was talking to the LBS about maybe working there when the time came. I joked that I would probably owe them money after we settle up for the bike stuff I bought.
Likes For Pompiere:
Old 04-09-20, 09:52 PM
52telecaster
ambulatory senior

Originally Posted by Pompiere
I am only a couple years from retirement, so I was talking to the LBS about maybe working there when the time came. I joked that I would probably owe them money after we settle up for the bike stuff I bought.
the staff is nothing but enablers.
Likes For 52telecaster:
Old 04-09-20, 09:54 PM
scarlson 

Bikes: Ron Cooper touring, 1959 Jack Taylor 650b ladyback touring tandem, Vitus 979, Joe Bell painted Claud Butler Dalesman, Colin Laing curved tube tandem, heavily-Dilberted 1982 Trek 6xx, René Herse tandem

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Quoted: 964 Post(s)
Liked 1,450 Times in 723 Posts
i wish i could say that. Actually it hasnt been bad but i have only been trained on cable disc brakes. Hydraulic tomorrow.
Them hudrolick brakes are nothin after you do a few Ducati and SAAB clutches! Been shot in the face with Dot 3 brake fluid a few times it's no fun and the durn thing still has no pedal after that.

For the Shimano ones I've done, the process is the same as for SAAB and Ducati. I like to call it the reverse reacharound bleed. Reverse because you push fluid back up through the system from the caliper to the lever. Reacharound because well, you're reaching around, especially in a car. After that, it's all in how you flick the lever. Tell 'em you can use baby oil instead of the Shimano fluid, see what they have to say!

Full disclosure, I basically got fired from my very first job, as a builder at a chain bike shop in the twin cities, for saying stuff like this. Management warn't fond of my irreverence to doctrine.
Old 04-09-20, 10:09 PM
branko_76 

Bikes: ........................................ .....Holdsworth "Special"..... .......Falcon "Special".......... .........Miyata 912........... ........................................

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 701 Post(s)
Liked 667 Times in 417 Posts
Last summer I was restoring a Raleigh Super Grand Prix so I went to a local bike shop to get the parts and was assisted by the store owner. While checking out we got to talking, he said he had a hard time finding a good mechanic. He then asked if I knew how to service headsets, bottom brackets, hubs, etc. I said yes, yes and yes. He then offered me a job. Now, I am not uneducated, I clean-up well and am currently employed so when I asked how much per hour I expected to hear something reasonable. His offer? $11.00 per hour, no benefits..... ooookay

Last edited by branko_76; 04-10-20 at 05:54 AM.
Likes For branko_76:
Old 04-10-20, 12:28 AM
UKFan4Sure
Useless Member

the staff is nothing but enablers.
I wanted to go work at the Harley Davidson parts department, but my wife said "no".....
Likes For UKFan4Sure:
Old 04-10-20, 04:57 AM
Prowler 

Bikes: 2 Trek Mtn, Cannondale R600 road, 6 vintage road bikes

Mentioned: 83 Post(s)
Quoted: 471 Post(s)
Liked 1,016 Times in 398 Posts
After I "separated" on Halloween of 2013, I bought 2 old bikes which each got a frame up rehab which honed my mech skills. Over the following year I got into a position where a local LBS owner asked me to help him at a warehouse where he stashed his "vintage" fleet - some nice bikes but a lot of old Schwinns and entry level stuff. After a few months he asked me to come to the main shop and I went 'on the books'. Now I regularly work there one day a week, wrenching bikes, acting grouchy and generally being an old fart, but steady and reliable. The pay sucks but I don't care. As 52telecaster said, the employee discount is nice, the diversity of problems to solve is interesting and the people are a good team.

REALLY weird these days with all the guidelines but at least we're open and income is flowing. Feels like working in a speakeasy. I've even told the owner that if money gets tight he can delay my pay as I don't need it to live on. C&V hobby money.

We had a cute young gal at the back door recently with a bike for service. I mentioned that working out of the back door (knock, knock, Joe sent me) felt like working at a speakeasy. She smiled and HAD heard of speakeasys and agreed. Fun.
Likes For Prowler:
Old 04-10-20, 06:02 AM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2430 Post(s)
Liked 2,891 Times in 1,647 Posts
Originally Posted by texaspandj
52Telecaster once posted a video of his band playing a blues tune. He's a terrific guitar player (and the other players were great,too).

Hope all of us can get back to playing gigs soon.

Last edited by Trakhak; 04-10-20 at 06:06 AM.
Likes For Trakhak:
Old 04-10-20, 06:32 AM
52telecaster
ambulatory senior

Originally Posted by branko_76
Last summer I was restoring a Raleigh Super Grand Prix so I went to a local bike shop to get the parts and was assisted by the store owner. While checking out we got to talking, he said he had a hard time finding a good mechanic. He then asked if I knew how to service headsets, bottom brackets, hubs, etc. I said yes, yes and yes. He then offered me a job. Now, I am not uneducated, I clean-up well and am currently employed so when I asked how much per hour I expected to hear something reasonable. His offer? $11.00 per hour, no benefits..... ooookay
honest to god, no bike mechanic makes much. Its a job mostly for kids or retired guys but seriously many of the mechanics I've met and pretty much all of them where i am working have a wealth of knowledge that humbles me. We as a society see bikes as toys but they are very cool tools in my book.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.