Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Stop all the best beginner bike under $1000 threads

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Old 04-10-20, 05:28 AM
UsedToBeFaster

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 14 Posts

Done Spec Allez 2019 onwards

Internal cables
full carbon fork
Great red paint job
Relaxed geometry stack 595 reach 385
20 pounds
Looks and rides amazing

Is there a better speced bike?

see https://www.bikeradar.com/reviews/bikes/road-bikes/specialized-allez-2019-review/

MSRP $895

https://www.bikeradar.com/reviews/bikes/road-bikes/specialized-allez-2019-review/
Old 04-10-20, 06:11 AM
NumbersGuy

Bikes: Fairlight Strael 3.0 Ultegra Di2, Lauf Seigla Rigid SRAM Red XPLP

Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked 109 Times in 60 Posts
No Doubt the Allez is a great option in that price range, but it's far from the only one so this isn't really a drop the mic recommendation.

Internal cables don't really add anything to the riding experience, red paint is down to personal preference, that stack and reach is for a size 56, which is irrelevant to those who need a different size, and 20 lbs is pretty much the norm for this category of bike.

If someone isn't brand conscious, Bikesdirect offers options with better specs, such as 105 11 speed vs Claris 8 speed groupset. The Giant Contend is similarly specced with a lower price or Cannondale CAAD Optimo is a more racy option if that suits the rider's preference better. It all comes down to personal preference as there are good options from many brands at this price point, and most will feature similar specs as dictated by the price.
Likes For NumbersGuy:
Old 04-10-20, 07:55 AM
Tacoenthusiast

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 223 Times in 84 Posts
Now if only someone would stop all the stop all the best beginner bike under $1000 threads
Old 04-10-20, 08:38 AM
Cypress
Globo Gym lifetime member

Bikes: Fast ones

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 410 Post(s)
Liked 614 Times in 306 Posts
Giant Contend 1 has an upgraded groupset over the Specialized, weighs less, and comes in at the same price.
Old 04-10-20, 08:52 AM
noodle soup

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,882 Times in 998 Posts
Originally Posted by Cypress
Giant Contend 1 has an upgraded groupset over the Specialized, weighs less, and comes in at the same price.
But it's not a Specialized.

That company brainwashes people, like no other.
Old 04-10-20, 09:10 AM
UsedToBeFaster

Originally Posted by Tacoenthusiast
Now if only someone would stop all the stop all the best beginner bike under $1000 threads
That's what I'm trying to do. If someone ask we just all respond Spec Allez and be done.

Originally Posted by NumbersGuy
The Giant Contend is similarly specced with a lower price or Cannondale CAAD Optimo is a more racy option
You refer to the Giant Contend 3. Have you ridden that bike? It has an ALU fork which is extremely harsh and it weights closer to 23 pounds. The tried to soften the ride by putting on folding tires but a beginner will spend the price difference on dental work if they ride even vaguely rougher roads.

You refer to the Giant Contend 1. Firstly, it costs about $100 more which to a beginner is a bit of money. But the real issue I had with the Contend's is that the geometry is not relaxed enough. Giant messed up the Contend in my opinion. If you compare the 2018 Geo with the 2020 Geo you'll see they actually made it more racier. The size Large had a S/R of 605/390 but its now 596/393. I found I was quite stretched out in it so they didn't make it nice and upright like the Allez or even more racier like the CAAD.

Besides the name "Contend" is a really bad name. I could see people stopping you only to paraphrase Marlon Brando, "You could have been someone, you could have been a ContendER but instead your a Bum" :-)
Old 04-10-20, 09:19 AM
noodle soup

Originally Posted by UsedToBeFaster
You refer to the Giant Contend 1. Firstly, it costs about $100 more which to a beginner is a bit of money. But the real issue I had with the Contend's is that the geometry is not relaxed enough. Giant messed up the Contend in my opinion. If you compare the 2018 Geo with the 2020 Geo you'll see they actually made it more racier. The size Large had a S/R of 605/390 but its now 596/393. I found I was quite stretched out in it so they didn't make it nice and upright like the Allez or even more racier like the CAAD.

Besides the name "Contend" is a really bad name. I could see people stopping you only to paraphrase Marlon Brando, "You could have been someone, you could have been a ContendER but instead your a Bum" :-)
@Cypress

See what I mean
Likes For noodle soup:
Old 04-10-20, 09:29 AM
Cypress

If $75 (not $100) is the deal breaker, maybe someone shouldn't be spending $900 in disposable income. Additionally, you'd have to spend $1050 for the comparable Specialized.

But it sounds like you've made up your mind on the Specialized and its hyper-specific slower geometry.

Maybe you should have named the thread "Are there any other bikes that have this exact geometry, for this exact price, and with this exact name."
Old 04-10-20, 09:46 AM
UsedToBeFaster

But it sounds like you've made up your mind on the Specialized and its hyper-specific slower geometry.
I don't own a Specialized, never have and probably never will. But it doesn't mean I won't recommend them. I just happened to ride all the entry level bikes this winter and the Allez stands out for all the reasons mentioned plus it was very upgradable. The welds on the bike are great and the full carbon fork means your not really wanting in the frame department. I read that the frameset comes in at 1700 grams which for an alloy frame set is hard to beat.

So why look further. Nice setup with a great frame that is upgradable.

The CAAD Optima is of comparable quality but that's not a beginner's bike.
Old 04-10-20, 09:51 AM
Cypress

I don't own a Specialized, never have and probably never will. But it doesn't mean I won't recommend them. I just happened to ride all the entry level bikes this winter and the Allez stands out for all the reasons mentioned plus it was very upgradable. The welds on the bike are great and the full carbon fork means your not really wanting in the frame department. I read that the frameset comes in at 1700 grams which for an alloy frame set is hard to beat.

Maybe you should have named the thread "Are there any other bikes that have this exact geometry, for this exact price, and with this exact name."
And now I'll add "with this exact frame weight and weld shapes" to the title. The frame on the Giant is probably lighter to boot.
Old 04-10-20, 10:02 AM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2468 Post(s)
Liked 2,943 Times in 1,671 Posts
To muddy the waters a bit, I'll just note that my current favorite fixed-gear bike is a 2005 aluminum Specialized Langster with a straight aluminum fork. Five-hour-plus rides among the green pastures and horse farms of northern Baltimore County, no fork-related dental work needed.
Old 04-10-20, 10:07 AM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9334 Post(s)
Liked 3,679 Times in 2,026 Posts
That geometry doesn't work for me.
Old 04-10-20, 10:12 AM
noodle soup

Originally Posted by Bah Humbug
Neither the Contend nor Allez would work for me.
Old 04-10-20, 10:17 AM
UsedToBeFaster

Neither me, but we are not beginners.

Originally Posted by Bah Humbug
Originally Posted by noodle soup
Neither the Contend nor Allez would work for me.
Old 04-10-20, 10:19 AM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 4912 Post(s)
Liked 8,009 Times in 3,788 Posts
Why do all beginners want/need relaxed geometry? My first road bike was nowhere near "relaxed". A couple of years later, it was the bike I won my first race on.
Old 04-10-20, 10:24 AM
noodle soup

My bike actually has less reach / more stack, but I have very long legs, with short arms and torso.
Old 04-10-20, 10:29 AM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9334 Post(s)
Liked 3,679 Times in 2,026 Posts
That geometry wouldn't have worked for me then, either. I have a long torso and short legs, so this new-fangled "endurance" geometry hurts my back. Unfortunately for both me and your point, that geometry is also frustratingly standard now, so it's certainly not a differentiator for the big S.
Likes For Bah Humbug:
Old 04-10-20, 11:01 AM
NumbersGuy

Bikes: Fairlight Strael 3.0 Ultegra Di2, Lauf Seigla Rigid SRAM Red XPLP

Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked 109 Times in 60 Posts
That's what I'm trying to do. If someone ask we just all respond Spec Allez and be done.

You refer to the Giant Contend 3. Have you ridden that bike? It has an ALU fork which is extremely harsh and it weights closer to 23 pounds. The tried to soften the ride by putting on folding tires but a beginner will spend the price difference on dental work if they ride even vaguely rougher roads.

That's nice that you think we should all just go with your opinion and stop the conversation (which is the whole point of forums).

Actually I did not specify the Contend 3, but thanks for making assumptions again. The Contend AR3 and Contend 1 both fit the $1,000 thread topic and come with carbon forks. Since you bring up comfort and tires, you get 32c tires on the AR3 (along with disc brakes), and 28c tires on the Contend 1 or Contend 3 vs the 25c on the Allez.

It seems like you've decided which bike in this price bracket is best for you, and can't grasp that others may have different preferences. That's why having a forum to discuss what the various options offer to bring to light what may be good options for different individuals is a valuable resource.
Old 04-10-20, 11:14 AM
Ogsarg

Bikes: 2019 Specialized Roubaix Comp Di2, 2009 Roubaix, early 90's Giant Iguana

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 641 Post(s)
Liked 1,513 Times in 548 Posts
Originally Posted by Tacoenthusiast
Stop all the best anything threads. For just about any type of bike, bike part, accessory, clothing, etc. there are many choices with many attributes that differing levels of importance to a given user. To say one is best for your needs is fine. To tell people it's best for everyone is just wrong.
Old 04-10-20, 12:03 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7648 Post(s)
Liked 3,464 Times in 1,830 Posts
Speaking of Contend .... this thread is not a contender for the "What is wrong with the Internet" thread roster but it might make the Honorable Mention short list, if the rest of the season stays quiet ....
Old 04-10-20, 12:13 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
Spesh ran aground for me when they threatened to sue a coffee shop owner for daring to use the word "Roubaix" in his shop's name-- a word Spesh themselves appropriated from a town in France. Add to that some really awful dealer practices, and pricing their bikes to a prestige level they largely do not deserve, and Specialized never cracks my top ten for best of anything. The ride of any of their bikes I've swung a leg over I would classify as "unremarkable." They are the Honda of cycling, and there's nothing at all wrong with that. But they price like they're a boutique badge.
Old 04-10-20, 12:17 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 4912 Post(s)
Liked 8,009 Times in 3,788 Posts
Originally Posted by Ogsarg
Stop all the best anything threads. For just about any type of bike, bike part, accessory, clothing, etc. there are many choices with many attributes that differing levels of importance to a given user. To say one is best for your needs is fine. To tell people it's best for everyone is just wrong.
Valid point, but preferences are developed over time through experience. Newbs are just looking for guidance in a world they are just getting into.
Old 04-10-20, 12:21 PM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 3084 Post(s)
Liked 6,541 Times in 3,756 Posts
Originally Posted by DrIsotope
Spesh ran aground for me when they threatened to sue a coffee shop owner for daring to use the word "Roubaix" in his shop's name...
And they didn't even own the rights to the name.

https://www.outsideonline.com/1920596/war-specialized

Worse still for Specialized, Bicycle Retailer reported that Advanced Sports International (ASI), owner of Fuji, Kestrel, Breezer, and SE Bikes, actually owns the worldwide rights to the Roubaix trademark, which they license to Specialized. ASI President and CEO Pat Cunnane said that not only could Richter keep his café name but that Specialized had overstepped its licensing agreement when it registered for the Roubaix trademark in Canada.
Likes For cb400bill:
Old 04-10-20, 01:28 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts

The CAAD Optima is of comparable quality but that's not a beginner's bike.
Old 04-10-20, 01:53 PM
aplcr0331
Hear myself getting fat

Bikes: Sir Velo A Sparrow

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 335 Post(s)
Liked 265 Times in 134 Posts
Originally Posted by DrIsotope
Spesh ran aground for me when they threatened to sue a coffee shop owner for daring to use the word "Roubaix" in his shop's name-- a word Spesh themselves appropriated from a town in France. Add to that some really awful dealer practices, and pricing their bikes to a prestige level they largely do not deserve, and Specialized never cracks my top ten for best of anything. The ride of any of their bikes I've swung a leg over I would classify as "unremarkable." They are the Honda of cycling, and there's nothing at all wrong with that. But they price like they're a boutique badge.
I think Specialized is top 3 most grand tour wins over the last 25 years or so. For many people that watch races that means “pedigree”. Plus they have popular riders on their bikes, I’m guessing Sagan moves a few units.

I've only ridden an Allez and I liked that just fine. My closest bike shop in my home town sells Specialized and the shop has a good rep so I went there to buy a bike.

I now ride an older Cannondale which I like more than the Allez. It never occurred to me to check the history of bike manufacturers for “troubling” decisions they made that would sway my purchase. Seems like I might be stuck on a Huffy or something.

Never heard the legal story over the name. What an interesting story! I had no idea you could trademark the name of a city. Nor did I know that the Japanese under Fuji trademarked Roubaix in the USA. Even better is that Fuji licenses the name Roubaix to Specialized in the USA. Hilarious!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.