Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Picture of Your Favorite Vintage Time Trial Bicycles and Why!

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Picture of Your Favorite Vintage Time Trial Bicycles and Why!

Old 04-13-20, 10:05 AM
Rocket-Sauce 
Port

Bikes: 2022 Soma Fog Cutter, 2021 Calfee Draqonfly 44, 1984 Peter Mooney, 2017 Soma Stanyan, 1990 Fuji Ace, 1990 Bridgestone RB-1, 1995 Independent Fabrications Track, 2003 Calfee Dragonfly Pro

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 975 Post(s)
Liked 1,835 Times in 1,050 Posts
Originally Posted by VintageTTfan
And one of the strangest bikes I have ever seen! Thanks for the info.
...and it is undeniably hideous.
Likes For Rocket-Sauce:
Old 04-13-20, 01:03 PM
Lattz

Bikes: 80s Alan Super Record, 79' Somec Special, 90s Rossin(?) Columbus Ego Triathlon, previously: Bianchi SBX Reparto Corse (stolen) and so on...

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 391 Post(s)
Liked 812 Times in 602 Posts

This is impeccable and a true beauty. First of all it has my all time favorite Holy Grail saddle. It is an op art masterpiece in my opinion. The bull horns and bar tape are good here though a little on the short side. The frame shape is pretty good. The faded red hues of paint look super nice. The disc wheels are to kill for with their cool graphic and colors that match up well. Over all this makes a really stand out ensemble that pops out at you.
Breathtaking.... wanted to make a Paletti post but then it will be Stelbel today...
Likes For Lattz:
Old 04-13-20, 01:05 PM
Lattz

Bikes: 80s Alan Super Record, 79' Somec Special, 90s Rossin(?) Columbus Ego Triathlon, previously: Bianchi SBX Reparto Corse (stolen) and so on...

Surprised I found this right now without looking. I think this is a rare picture maybe because never seen this before.......very cool.
This is super cool I also haven't seen this yet. I wonder if they were shot together with the Briko one or one is a sequel of the other.
Likes For Lattz:
Old 04-13-20, 01:11 PM
Lattz

Hideous or not I cant be the only one.... not only nice bikes and cars are inspired by the female body... the engineers started the bike at the back freshly inspired by the Laser poster then at the mid their eyes wandered over to a Darth Vader pic on the wall... and while in the orig post the boss would show the exit to the designer the financial officer would show exit to the boss by firing the designer who saved the price of a second Coda wheel by stealing a Walmart cart. I guess they have learned the lessons they wanted. Thr engineers do not work for our eyes for sure. The thing is ugly period. Im happy it didnt became a trend.

Last edited by Lattz; 04-13-20 at 01:26 PM.
Likes For Lattz:
Old 04-13-20, 02:03 PM
crank_addict
Banned

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 1361 Post(s)
Liked 422 Times in 282 Posts
.It reminds me of some Moser paint schemes I have seen......see below.....

Man these Mosers are nice! I would love to have the bottom one.
More from Francesco. Happened to watch this morning >>> one will spot a few significant TT bikes mid vid.

Neato headbadgeOn January 19, 1984 in Mexico City, Moser broke the 1972 hour record of Eddy Merckx. Riding an aerodynamic bike with full disc wheels and skin suit, more advanced than the conventional bike Merckx used in 1972. He set a new record at 51.151 km (31.784 mi).

As a result, in 1997 the UCI banned hour records set on bikes featuring technological advantages. Moser's record would eventually be moved in 1997 to "best human effort". Under the new rules, Merckx's record wasn't broken until 2000.

Last edited by crank_addict; 04-13-20 at 02:41 PM.
Likes For crank_addict:
Old 04-13-20, 03:20 PM
Shrevvy 

Bikes: 77 Trek TX900, 81.5 Trek 950, 83 Trek 970, 84 Schwinn Peloton, 88 Schwinn Premis, 85 Pinarello Montello, 88 Lemond Pro, more...

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 242 Post(s)
Liked 284 Times in 136 Posts
Originally Posted by Lattz
This is super cool I also haven't seen this yet. I wonder if they were shot together with the Briko one or one is a sequel of the other.
She's wearing the same thing in this pic...was this part of a catalog or calendar?

Likes For Shrevvy:
Old 04-13-20, 03:24 PM
Lattz

Originally Posted by Shrevvy
She's wearing the same thing in this pic...was this part of a catalog or calendar?

Then it must be from a different series and most likely a calendar since the bike here is a Colnago. The Briko ive posted sold as a Cinelli / Columbus / Campagnolo poster but I always quetioned there if the brands were just added to the photo since usually its either or.... plus in ads you would hide thr brand of the acessories in this case the briko. But its just my guess
Likes For Lattz:
Old 04-14-20, 12:05 AM
SoccerBallXan

Bikes: Many!

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Liked 206 Times in 124 Posts
I am going post crazy today......here is the last for tonight because I thought you would enjoy a picture of that Paletti I just posted as it hangs in the shop:
Love the wishbone seat tube and stays. Do not love the color.
Likes For SoccerBallXan:
Old 04-14-20, 04:29 AM
Lattz

What now seems obvious to me....and should have been obvious earlier probably.....is that a vintage bike store in Berlin called Cicli Berlinetta decided to make some very cool photo shoots of classic bikes with a particular female model to promote their store. The photo shoots have to be recent and not vintage. They are still great photos though. If you go to the facebook page for the store Cicli Berlinetta it will prove my point. Here is how they used one of the posters in the store:

So hopefully that solves the mystery.
Oh yeah, deep diving in shame as I might be the closest sitting thread member to said candy store, and also a regular visitor on their page, @VintageTTfan you are right, it's them. Although, to cover my bum, I have to admit, I have never got past the first photo on the page (usually I go directly by the links to the bike I'm interested in, not to the page). I was staring at it for minutes, how well composited with the gal, the red background and the red bike. Then like struck by a lightning I realized its the most desirable thing I've ever encountered in my life and missed out by being lame - an Andrea Cinelli Cinettica Giotto.

I will never ever forgive myself for not buying it when I had the chance and money and for long years I was not even able to look at it and its siblings. So back to the topic I closed the page immediately, thinking maybe later. But the pics are really well done also the others CB knows how to do business and advertising as well. I feel it kind of controversial that they advertise "don't believe the hype, ride a classic bike for the fun, not for the hype or fashion" while they and the likes are deeply responsible for said hype. But as each coin has two sides, the rise of the classic bike (and classic everything) helped to save hundred thousands of nice bikes from being scrapped. On the other hand, it also helped to make them expensive "valuable objects" not affordable for many passionate cyclists, but for rich hipster kids and/or serious investors and shops.

Enough words for today... from now on, less words and I'll let the pictures talk.
Likes For Lattz:
Old 04-14-20, 05:20 AM
Lattz

Still hoping for that Paletti post you promised. Are you able to go out riding by yourself right now in Germany or is it banned?
I also said Stelbel first.... It's allowed to go out cycling/exercising alone or with family members 1 person living in the same household as well. Its good that you asked note, if any of you going out, note, that while for talking on the street the required minimum distance is 5 feet (1.5 meters), for cycling its 65! (20 meters) according to medical studies, keep in mind to be on the safe side. For me what keeps me from cycling is the parental duties and the backlogs in work piling up in the mobile office, as I'm by far not as efficient with my little one jumping on my back as in the office.
Likes For Lattz:
Old 04-14-20, 06:08 AM
Lattz

I wanted to post this Stelbel Pista since ages. According to CycleEXIF, the owner wanted to renew it with disc wheels and all the fancy stuff he can get, but changed his mind and went for originality. As for me, it was a good decision, and Stelio Belletti, the founder of the brand was also happy with the result. Simple and beautiful, I really like the seat section incl. the 3TTT saddle, the welding work they made them famous really shines here, and the fork mounted handlebars (especially this one with the smart solution using a normal stem) seem to be my weak spots.. love it!!!

Last edited by Lattz; 04-14-20 at 06:54 AM.
Likes For Lattz:
Old 04-14-20, 07:09 AM
Lattz

Okay, why not top it up with one more Stelbel? I'm not 100% sure if I've seen this here or somewhere else earlier, but spectacular for sure. It has everything one likes in such bikes, some might not like the cubist interpretation of the Moser La Hora base form, but I'm not in that group.
Likes For Lattz:
Old 04-14-20, 09:06 AM
Lattz

Shoot me if this was posted before, or just stop for a moment of pure admiration. It is really hard to miss VintageTTfan 's stunning Ghibli (well worth a visit to the first post in the thread if you didn't come that way) by searching for Paletti, as it might be one of the most re-posted bike from the brand and absolutely not without reasons (congrats again and again). The story of Luciano Paletti and why he is considered as one of the most creative well ahead-of-time builders also worths a read, but as I promised, I STFU for today, so I try to keep word count down, here's my take:

So far I haven't find other pics of this. This was the first Paletti I've seen in my life, never heard about them before (also true, that back then in the middle of my Bianchi times, I did not even care much about other brands, besides the 3 big ones from Italy, now its quite the opposite, I respect them, but the more interesting stories were written by smaller shops or guys quitting the major brands). I do not teven know the dating of this, The hidden brakes which bought me instantly. Such a solution is still not common these days, man would expect it from Look on their speaceship-TT bikes, guess Mr. Paletti is not praised for nothing. Beautiful curves, nice RossoCorsa (fav!) painting with the cards... pure wonder...

Bonus content 1 : looks like an orig. vintage pic of the prorotype, most likely at some exhibition

Bonus content 2: another TT, also nice, but I'm not a great fan of the US any (incl the Italian colors, even if I could claim they are Hungarian ) flag paintings on bikes, but understand olympics, etc...

Bonus3: this ad is simply hilarious

reminds me to one of my all time favorite ads from Lamborghini, where they explain in several different ways what are the chances of certain random things to happen to you, and how much less your chances are to own a Reventon Roadster...

Last edited by Lattz; 04-14-20 at 12:25 PM.
Likes For Lattz:
Old 04-14-20, 05:43 PM
crank_addict
Banned

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 1361 Post(s)
Liked 422 Times in 282 Posts
Monsieur Chrono

And here's Anquetil, circa 1953.

Last edited by crank_addict; 04-14-20 at 05:59 PM.
Likes For crank_addict:
Old 04-16-20, 10:05 AM
Lattz

In 2 Sep 1994 Miguel Indurain broke the hour record by becoming the first man going over 53kms (53.040) on a Pinarello Espada as many of us know. While the bike is really interesting for many reasons (only 4 were made especially for him, it weighed 7.5 kgs, not bad, lovely Banesto colors, there's one on ebay for a modest ~110k USD) at least for me, on this post the most interesting thing is the crank, or the chain ring. So this is the time, I officially admit I was wrong VintageTTfan and malcala622 and you guys were right. It exists, and yes, it is a team (better said superhero) issue.
It only appeared on this ribbon-painted version on the bike as far as I see. And while it was never a question if it looks good (hell it is!), this makes it somewhat more special. Case closed.

Last edited by Lattz; 04-16-20 at 10:10 AM.
Likes For Lattz:
Old 04-16-20, 11:58 AM
Lattz

thanks! I went by a method which usually work for me when I'm desperately searching for something (usually tools, parts or things in the house i remeber i saw somewhere not long ango many times) without success: I start to search for something else, since always those things pop up what you were searching for at other times, not the one you are searching at the moment.
Likes For Lattz:
Old 04-16-20, 04:16 PM
Shrevvy 

Bikes: 77 Trek TX900, 81.5 Trek 950, 83 Trek 970, 84 Schwinn Peloton, 88 Schwinn Premis, 85 Pinarello Montello, 88 Lemond Pro, more...

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 242 Post(s)
Liked 284 Times in 136 Posts

I want my own set of Olympic wheels!
Is that a triple up front and long cage derailleur? Must be the touring set up
Likes For Shrevvy:
Old 04-17-20, 08:43 AM
Lattz

A few cool odds and ends:

The TT helmets are really cool things, this one for example can also be used out of the box as film prop or cosplay costume as well.

If you ask me, cooler than the original, does not suit the topic of the blog but why did artillery guys needed aero helmets on a space base might be a good question.
Likes For Lattz:
Old 04-19-20, 10:51 AM
Lattz

Phew... that was close... I was afraid that I killed the party with the (lets face it not so good) joke but happy that it didnt happen and you made it better. Lord Helmet is the ultimate TT guy. Now i can post the bike I prepred as "making it up for the post" as is a beautiful bike not healing salve.
Likes For Lattz:
Old 04-19-20, 11:21 AM
Lattz

Ever since I saw one for the first time I got attracted to Alan bikes. Some love them some hate them some afraid of them but this one is even nicer than their road or xc versions... also might be a liiittle bit rarer... like a white crow...

The black addons work well with the silver frame if im not mistaken the brakes are Modolo Kronos Im in love with them (not with their pricetag though)

Last edited by Lattz; 04-19-20 at 12:55 PM.
Likes For Lattz:
Old 04-20-20, 04:02 AM
Lattz

Just a cool picture...I suppose the person who owns these also has a palace? That would figure. Or they just know how to stage a neat picture.
Somehow I didn't see this yesterday, as it was posted more or less the same when I posted the Alan, but WOW..... this is an impressive gathering whether or not they belong to the same owner.
Likes For Lattz:
Old 04-20-20, 10:58 AM
Lattz

I am totally guessing here, but based on some things I have seen, I think it is a lo pro club in Thailand. They are rich kids I think; I would imagine. And I think there is a strong lo pro following in Thailand. I am guessing though. Here is a possible connection photo:

The bike model and number thereof would seem to indicate $$$.
Yeah I have also bumped into these guys many time while broswing the web (mostly ended up by them when looking for the solid chainring - looks like they bought up all of them origimal or not). Was even wondering when I saw your bicrture by the wall if its them or some rich saudi prince, although they usually do the same with supercars. Nice bikes for sure and they must have paid a wholla lotta dough for them (lets assume they are originals - Im still preparing my "FakeIT" post i promised earlier- but they look so). But in other parts of the world there was once a time when in the big chaos such things exchanged owners at a zero to none price or maybe for a bottle of booze - or less.

Obviously the kid on the pic is not the one who was there when the SU broke up. But whomever was there definitely didnt get these as highly valued things back then.

When I saw this for the first time I had a really well defined idea on what the <censored> later was happy to see the pic on several forums people discussing my feelings mostly word by word.

But whatever... in difficult times witha bit of luck, intelligence and forward looking one can make bargains even without $$$.

Last edited by Lattz; 04-20-20 at 11:08 AM.
Likes For Lattz:
Old 04-20-20, 01:14 PM
xiaoman1 

Bikes: A few too many

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1360 Post(s)
Liked 2,175 Times in 1,180 Posts
Not so sure that so much can be surmised from just a photo or the "look/s" of the kid etc. big leap IMHO
Best, Ben
Likes For xiaoman1:
Old 04-20-20, 01:32 PM
xiaoman1 

Well I guess I was saying that it "looks like" not that it is the case. It is anybodies interpretation. Also the fact that the pictures now on the net have a different face spliced in might say something. But yes you are correct that I am making an interpretation and not establishing fact. I did ask if they were stolen. Guess I thought that was clear but your point is well taken. Best, TT Fan.
VTT,
I have not been following the pics on the net, so I can't comment and do not want to prejudge..I do however appreciate your response.
Best, Ben
Likes For xiaoman1:
Old 04-20-20, 01:33 PM
xiaoman1 

Dbl post

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.