Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Southern California
Reload this Page >

Where did you ride in Southern California today?

Notices
Southern California Southern California

Where did you ride in Southern California today?

Old 04-27-20, 07:10 AM
2seven0

Bikes: A few

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked 235 Times in 101 Posts
Beautiful ride yesterday with my wife- out Taft thru V. Park then out Santiago Cyn Road up & around Portola then down thru Irvine, Tustin & Costa Mesa to SART back to the truck at Main/Taft. Perfect weather.
Last weekend took her up Brea Canyon over to Pathfinder then Fullerton/East/West Roads to Santa Gertrudes back down to home.
West

Last edited by 2seven0; 04-27-20 at 08:08 PM.
Likes For 2seven0:
Old 04-27-20, 10:46 AM
Genaro

Bikes: Motobecane Immortal Force

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 11 Posts
Hung out and rode mostly on the trainer over the weekend, but got out Thursday night. Met up with Lesper (Loren) and rode up to the end of Lytle Creek. Had a series of flats at the beginning of ride and used all of mine and Lorens tubes. Used up one of my lifelines and called the wife to pick me up. : /. Discovered that my rear caliper was loose and was rubbing on the side wall.
Likes For Genaro:
Old 04-27-20, 10:48 AM
Genaro

Oh, and yes. I am up for a "Post ZombiCovidapocalyto" ride when this is all over. Really like the July 4th GMR ride idea. Gives me 8 weeks to prepare. : )
Likes For Genaro:
Old 04-27-20, 07:48 PM
TakingMyTime

Bikes: Canyon Endurace

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1041 Post(s)
Liked 922 Times in 539 Posts
24 miles down to the Queen Mary. Streets are deserted.. The area at Queensway Village is empty. We were the only 2 people on the bike path.
Likes For TakingMyTime:
Old 04-27-20, 08:20 PM
nesdog

Bikes: Domane SLR7 Disc

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 39 Posts
43 miles, doing a loop from Agoura to Mully, up Piuma and down Stunt, around via Calabasas and home. Not much company out there today. Sunny with fog layer covering Malibu down below.
Old 04-29-20, 02:53 PM
CAT7RDR

Bikes: 1999 Schwinn Peloton Ultegra 10, Kestrel RT-1000 Ultegra, Trek Marlin 6 Deore 29'er

Quoted: 822 Post(s)
Liked 1,955 Times in 941 Posts
Hadn't been up GMR-GRR in several weeks since the shut down. Started at Encanto Park at 0530 this morning for an early start. Warmed up along Sierra Madre w/ little vehicle traffic. Got to the GMR gate and it was surprisingly open. No problem only a few vehicles I encountered on GMR today. I estimate there were about 100 road and MTB cyclists to and from Mt Baldy Village. The Lodge was closed and the vending machines empty but the hose was working and I had some Propel powder to give the water some flavor. No deer today or rattlesnakes, maybe next time.
Managed 57 miles and 6500 ft of climb. Will go further next time, my legs felt good today.
Likes For CAT7RDR:
Old 04-30-20, 10:36 AM
Genaro

According to Strava (and my weak legs) I haven't been up GMR since I took my long riding break back in 2014. I am planning a ride from Euro Café, up to GMR, GRR, and back this upcoming Saturday at 6 AM. Tis is going to hurt so good.
Old 05-01-20, 12:38 PM
TakingMyTime

30 mile round trip down to HB Pier.

There is a hard closure at Bolsa Chica. Concrete barriers with police. No one on the sand, MUP path, parking lot, period! It also looked like Huntington Beach was expecting trouble. Several news vans and emergency trucks where you usually wouldn't see them. It looked like they might be prepare for a hard closure in HB
Likes For TakingMyTime:
Old 05-01-20, 01:39 PM
CAT7RDR

Bikes: 1999 Schwinn Peloton Ultegra 10, Kestrel RT-1000 Ultegra, Trek Marlin 6 Deore 29'er

^^^^ Good to know about that BS. There was a time in the 1980's when one could drive along PCH in Corona Del Mar park and have a private beach to yourself. Now everything is developed or the government tells you to stay the F off it. Oh well, I need more bike therapy.
Old 05-02-20, 04:49 PM
adamhenry
MUP World Champ

Bikes: '19 Trance 3, '17 Defy Adv 2, DK Legend, Electra Verse 21D

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 24 Posts
I rode from Carlsbad Village down to Cardiff and back. Coast highway was pretty busy today. Saw quite a few sheriffs deputies in Encinitas. The red tide smell was pretty heavy in a few spots.
Old 05-02-20, 06:00 PM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

Bikes: 85 pinarello treviso steel, 88 nishiki olympic steel. 95 look kg 131 carbon, 11 trek madone 5.2 carbon

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1627 Post(s)
Liked 3,112 Times in 1,682 Posts
rode the laguna/cuyamaca triangle. just a hair under 50 miles with 4,400 ft of climbing. high point 6,000 ft. my absolute fave < 50 mile ride in san diego county. nearly perfect weather day up there. low 70’s. the pavé boys are still doing their thing on sunrise hwy a few miles below the mount laguna store to the 8 freeway but it wasn’t too bad. pavement once north of the store all the way to the hwy 79 junction still in need here and there of being repaved. just keep scanning 30-40 yards ahead and you’ll be good. stop and pull off if you wanna take pics...and you’ll want to take pics. 20 mph crosswinds in the usual long descent place north of kwayamii (sp?) point has you taking center of the lane on that fast, gradual downhill.
ca hwy 79 pavé from sunrise hwy junction all the way south to old hwy 80 (about 17 miles) still tops. 9 or 9.5/10 consistently. a bit more traffic than usual because of the weekend and because of the crowded hiking trailheads. plenty of mtb’ers and roadies out. i nearly always do the loop counterclockwise to knock out the biggest climbs early and cruise to the finish...also to take advantage of the prevailing traffic patterns in the area + i think the views are better that direction. either way is great tho.

https://www.strava.com/activities/3387811032
Likes For diphthong:
Old 05-03-20, 04:17 PM
CAT7RDR

After watching a few youtube videos of recent accidents on Hwy 39, discretion won out and I rode from home into Carbon Cyn, Chino Hills, La Habra Heights,Turnbull Cyn instead of Hwy 39 to Crystal Lake. Completed 74 miles and over 8K ft of climb so still a good workout. Pic is at the top of Eucalyptus in Chino Hills facing Carbon Canyon near the golf course. Mustard plants are thriving,
Likes For CAT7RDR:
Old 05-03-20, 06:25 PM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

Bikes: 85 pinarello treviso steel, 88 nishiki olympic steel. 95 look kg 131 carbon, 11 trek madone 5.2 carbon

Originally Posted by CAT7RDR
After watching a few youtube videos of recent accidents on Hwy 39, discretion won out and I rode from home into Carbon Cyn, Chino Hills, La Habra Heights,Turnbull Cyn instead of Hwy 39 to Crystal Lake. Completed 74 miles and over 8K ft of climb so still a good workout. Pic is at the top of Eucalyptus in Chino Hills facing Carbon Canyon near the golf course. Mustard plants are thriving,
is there a common theme...like bad patches of pavement currently on 39 or just our usual assorted cycling hijinks trying to keep darwin relevant for future generations?
Old 05-03-20, 06:39 PM
CAT7RDR

Drivers racing up to Crystal Lake are going way over the speed limit and are beyond their skill level. They are crossing over into the downhill traffic lane and causing the accidents. Family of five in a Chevy Silverado were the latest victims when an Eclipse crossed over.
https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...rce=opensearch

I was brushed with a motorcyclist's leather jacket when he swerved on Hwy 39 near the San Gabriel Reservoir. I saw a guy fly off the bluff near the East Rd bridge. Too many asshats for me to take a chance on the weekends. Best time to ride up to Crystal Lake is early weekday mornings.
Old 05-03-20, 06:45 PM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

oh jeez! thought you meant cycling accidents. some scary bleep. totally agree about the weekdays vs weekends on any of our socal mountain roads.
Old 05-04-20, 04:18 PM
stuff shredman

Bikes: 2020 S-Works Tarmac - Sagan Edition /// 2016 Intense Tracer T275C ///

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 28 Posts
Originally Posted by ooga-booga
oh jeez! thought you meant cycling accidents. some scary bleep. totally agree about the weekdays vs weekends on any of our socal mountain roads.
There was a female rider down on Glendora Ridge Road this past Saturday, about halfway between GMR and Mt. Baldy Village. Looks like she wiped out in a downhill corner and ended up in the drainage ditch hillside with blood from the face/ head plus typ road rash. I came upon a group tending to her just as they were calling for help. She was sitting up and conscious, but that's all I know. A helicopter came and got her.

Anyone have any further information?

​​​​​​​Be safe out there!
Likes For stuff shredman:
Old 05-04-20, 07:20 PM
TakingMyTime

25 miles meandering around Long Beach. Rode with an old friend and swapped stories for a couple of hours while riding around.
Likes For TakingMyTime:
Old 05-04-20, 07:25 PM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

southern san diego county 70-mile mountain ride attempt that morphed into a c-note instead because i started too late and it got too hot.

https://www.strava.com/activities/3399447944

in other news...heritage road in eastern chula vista is finally open all the way from olympic parkway to the coors light/sleep train/north island federal credit union amphitheatre.
links up directly with the heritage road climb up to the car junkyards/used carapalooza at the top of the hill. is is the southern san diego county's version of the torrey pines climb.
similar stats/grade...just a little shorter.

Last edited by diphthong; 05-05-20 at 12:00 AM.
Old 05-05-20, 12:35 PM
Genaro

Originally Posted by stuff shredman
There was a female rider down on Glendora Ridge Road this past Saturday, about halfway between GMR and Mt. Baldy Village. Looks like she wiped out in a downhill corner and ended up in the drainage ditch hillside with blood from the face/ head plus typ road rash. I came upon a group tending to her just as they were calling for help. She was sitting up and conscious, but that's all I know. A helicopter came and got her.

Anyone have any further information?

​​​​​​​Be safe out there!
I descended Baldy Rd. on Saturday as I prefer to loop GMR, GRR, but also think its safer considering the faster car traffic. Only one or two blind corners vs. a bunch on GMR/GRR
Old 05-07-20, 05:40 PM
TakingMyTime

Rode to Huntington Beach Pier from El Dorado Park. Today was a really slow ride. I had pushed myself on the same ride yesterday and I just didn't have it in me today so I decided to do it between 12 & 14 mps and enjoy the sights. Bolsa Chica is open to "active" use only.
Likes For TakingMyTime:
Old 05-07-20, 06:06 PM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

Originally Posted by Genaro
I descended Baldy Rd. on Saturday as I prefer to loop GMR, GRR, but also think its safer considering the faster car traffic. Only one or two blind corners vs. a bunch on GMR/GRR
is baldy road still a little beat up in places on the descent between the village and the hard left onto north mountain ave. to upland? it was not a pleasant descent when i did it last may.
there were lots of areas to avoid along the right third of the descending lane on baldy road while grabbing fistfulls of brakes and failing to keep the speed < 40 mph.
the pavement was fine once past north mountain ave. as you kept going straight to claremont. if baldy road pavement is still blah, i'd rather take my chances on gmr/grr. at least the
pavement there is good and that road has soul.
Old 05-08-20, 07:09 PM
TakingMyTime

I have 2 buddies, that because of life and work, we had all fallen apart over the years. These were bike ridding buddies. One of them just retired this week and has joined our group. We all live close together and meeting up either here or there and going for a ride is not a problem. Today we rode to downtown Long Beach (across from the Queen Mary) and hung out for a while. It almost seems like we all put in our time making a life for ourselves but now that we've all recently retired we can take up right where we left off 40 years ago.
Likes For TakingMyTime:
Old 05-09-20, 05:39 PM
2seven0

Bikes: A few

Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked 235 Times in 101 Posts
Originally Posted by TakingMyTime
I have 2 buddies, that because of life and work, we had all fallen apart over the years. These were bike ridding buddies. One of them just retired this week and has joined our group. We all live close together and meeting up either here or there and going for a ride is not a problem. Today we rode to downtown Long Beach (across from the Queen Mary) and hung out for a while. It almost seems like we all put in our time making a life for ourselves but now that we've all recently retired we can take up right where we left off 40 years ago.
When I was in my late teens my dad had an electrician doing some work at our shop. Never knew his Christian name but he wore a 10 gallon hat, drove an old Ford pickup, had a Texas drawl & called himself "Whitey". Late one day the 3 of us were shooting the breeze when he looked at me and said young man when you're my age if you can fill half the fingers on one hand with true friends you'll be very lucky. Never forgot those words & now that I'll be 58 soon I realize how right he was.
Good on you!
West
Likes For 2seven0:
Old 05-09-20, 06:45 PM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

met up with fellow forumite Tycho Brahe and did a 50-miler...starting in valyermo and tackled the big pines climb up to ach.
decided to continue on to dawson summit through dubious means. doesn't look like we were the only forumites to utilize
said dubious means today. perfect weather but a rigged, pre-ride water/gatorade cache at the top of big pines rd. was huge.
air got pretty dry above big pines. road quality on big pines road mixed. ascent not an issue but the descent was.
road obviously needs some tlc...especially above the largo vista rd. junction about halfway up the climb. lower half better but still had to stay vigilant.
first time up big pines climb...scenic and enough curves to always keep things interesting. wouldn't mind tackling it again in the near future.
Likes For diphthong:
Old 05-09-20, 10:22 PM
Nachoman
well hello there

Bikes: Bill Holland (Road-Ti), Fuji Roubaix Pro (back-up), Bike Friday (folder), Co-Motion (tandem) & Trek 750 (hybrid)

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 206 Posts
53 miler from Point Loma to Swamis, and back.

Two wheels good. Four wheels bad.
Likes For Nachoman:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.